Hershey has joined Mars, Coke and Pepsi as a sponsor of the American Dietetic Association, which bills itself as “world’s largest organization of food and nutrition professionals,” and says its goal is to “optimize the nation’s health through food and nutrition.” Hershey? Nutrition? Actually, it’s the Hershey Center for Health and Nutrition, which is devoted to “the sweet science of chocolate.” Hey, we can live with that. [More]
As consumers in modern America, we often cynically assume that “Lifetime Guarantee” is just a something companies slap on products with no basis in fact, like “New and Improved!” or “With Calcium.” But there are companies who take the lifetime warranty concept seriously, and will replace a ten-year-old shovel after its handle breaks just as garden season begins. Matt discovered that a shovel he picked up at Home Depot a decade ago carried such a guarantee…and the company replaced his broken shovel even though all proof of purchase was long gone. [More]
“Sure you can, junior,” B of A and JP Morgan said to Hershey. “Just remember we’re not made of money.” [More]
Reader Dan came across Ortho’s Ecosense insecticide in the store, and noticed something strange. The name “Ecosense” implies some kind of crunchy environmental friendliness, does it not? Why, it’s even written in green right on the package. So why does the package also have the disclaimer, “not intended to imply environmental safety either alone or compared to other products”?
Des Moines, Iowa TV station KCCI did a story on a man who opened up his Hershey’s Bar to find living worms writhing around inside.
- Amazon : [Candy] $15 Off $39 Purchase of Hershey’s Nestle, Mars, and Wonka Candy (Select Varieties)
- Newegg: [Bluetooth Car Kit] LG MSB-100 Bluetooth Car Kit Speaker $20 Shipped
- JR.com: [HDTV] Coby TF-TV3217 32-inch 720p LCD HDTV $339.99 + free shipping
- Amazon: [GPS] Garmin Forerunner 305 Wrist GPS Receiver With Heart Rate Monitor $139.99 + free shipping
CNN profiles a young family living in a Chicago suburb who have decided to carry out an experiment in frugal living—they want to see if they can reduce their expenses enough to get by on about half of what they made before the wife and sole breadwinner was laid off earlier this summer.
Do you know your imported Cadbury bars from your Hershey’s? Lots of chocolate lovers do and, according to the Wall Street Journal, many are bound and determined to seek out imports from the U.K.
In case you were planning on getting your recommended daily allowance of calcium from Hershey’s Syrup + Calcium, you may want to think twice. As reader Samuel has pointed out, the label on the fortified corn syrup says it contains “0%” of your suggested daily calcium. On the bright side, it probably doesn’t taste like chalk.
The food companies say we are on the brink of a sugar shortage that will wreak havoc on your candy bars and all that. According to the WSJ several large food companies including Kraft Foods Inc., General Mills Inc., Hershey Co. and Mars Inc. sent a letter to Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack warning that the US could run out of sugar if we don’t get rid of some tariffs.
Fork over your personal information and the Mars chocolate company will snail mail you a free coupon for one full-sized Mars candy bar in 6 weeks. We mentioned this in Morning Deals in May, it’s still going on, and will continue on Fridays through September. They’re calling it the “Real Chocolate Relief Act,” a tie-in to two different news stories: 1) Economic bailout plans and 2) Some corner-cutting candymakers not using 100% cocoa butter and putting more oil inside – a basterdization known as “mocklate.”
- NewEgg: [Games] Enemy Territory: Quake Wars PC for $5.99 w/ Free shipping
- Sony Style: [Cameras] Sony alpha DSLR for $217 + free shipping (must sign up for Sony Visa Card)
- GapBody: [Swimwear] Save 30% off Women’s Swimwear
Highlights From Buxr
- Amazon: [Camcorder] Flip Video Ultra Series Camcorder, 30-Minutes (White) + free $20 Create It Reward for $59.99 w/ coupon 67P7PZO3 w/ Free shipping
- Amazon: [Romantic Partytime] Hershey’s Red Kiss Dessert Fondue Maker for $5.43 + Shipping
- Puma: [Shoes] 25% off sitewide w/ coupon CC28
Highlights From Dealnews
- Overstock: [Coats] DKNY Women’s Cashmere Blend Wool Pea Coat for $90 + $3 s&h
- Amazon: [TVs] Samsung 40″ 1080p Widescreen LCD HDTV for $800 + free shipping
- HandHeldItems: [Video Game Accessories] Motorola X205 Gaming Headset for Xbox 360 for $14 + $10 s&h
Highlights From Dealhack
Last month we posted about Kevin Johnson, a 29-year-old self-employed businessman with excellent credit and an established history with American Express, who had his credit limit cut by 65% because AMEX said he was shopping at the wrong sorts of stores. Johnson has created a website called NewCreditRules.com to try to uncover what, exactly, he did wrong to fall under AMEX’s high risk category.