Dolphin Statue Outside Of Art Gallery Falls On, Kills 2-Year-Old Tourist In San Francisco

Dolphin Statue Outside Of Art Gallery Falls On, Kills 2-Year-Old Tourist In San Francisco

It’s a scene from millions of family vacations: a 2-year-old boy climbs up a decorative object that he shouldn’t while waiting in front of the hotel. That’s what two-year-olds do. During one Utah family’s visit to San Francisco, this toddler mischief turned horrific when a statue fell on the boy. He seemed fine at first, but died of internal injuries at a local hospital. [More]

Hummus Maker Knew About Safety Problem That Killed Worker, Ignored It

Hummus Maker Knew About Safety Problem That Killed Worker, Ignored It

Back in 2011, a tragedy happened at a Tribe hummus factory near Boston. A man who was part of the factory’s evening cleaning crew was working on a bean-mashing machine with nine-inch rotating screws when the machine’s screws started to turn, mashing the 28-year-old’s head and arms. He died of his injuries in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. [More]

(CBS Dallas)

Power Company Burns Down Couple’s House During Cancer Treatment

M.D. Anderson Hospital in Houston, Texas offers world-class cancer treatment, and a man who lives near Dallas traveled there to continue treatment after fighting cancer for three years. He had just learned that chemotherapy was no longer working when a call came from their neighbors back in northern Texas: their home was on fire. [More]

Should Gas Station Pay For Damage From Pumping Water Into Customer’s Car?

Should Gas Station Pay For Damage From Pumping Water Into Customer’s Car?

Do you check to make sure that you’re really pumping gasoline into your car, and not some other substance? Most likely not. More than a dozen motorists in New Jersey bought gas that turned out to be water. This did some damage to the fuel systems of their cars. Who is responsible for paying for repairs? The station owner says that he shouldn’t have to pay one victim’s high repair costs. She disagrees. [More]

Shutterfly Congratulates Everyone On Arrival Of Nonexistent Babies

Shutterfly Congratulates Everyone On Arrival Of Nonexistent Babies

This morning, an unknown number of people received an e-mail from photo-printing site Shutterfly congratulating them on their new babies. The problem is that most of these people don’t have fresh new babies at home, and aren’t expecting. Many of them have no kids at all. While most were probably able to laugh it off as a weird mistake, plenty of recipients weren’t. [More]

(Alan Rappa)

Watch Sonic Drive-Thru Employee Take Orders In Fake Indian Accent, Offend Customers

When A. made a recent visit to Sonic for some delicious smoothies, she couldn’t quite believe what she heard coming through the drive-thru speaker. The employee on duty was taking her order in an exaggerated fake Indian accent. She began recording, since no one would really believe that this had happened otherwise. No one could be that stupid and/or racist, right? [More]

(ken fager)

Del Taco Accidentally Charges Customers Thousands For Tacos, Causes Financial Chaos

When something goes wrong with a fast food joint’s point of sale system and they charge you thousands of dollars for a few tacos, you can laugh about the situation days or weeks later, after you have your money back. Around 150 customers of one Del Taco restaurant were vastly overcharged for their drinks and tacos, and now must deal with bouncing checks and frozen accounts. [More]

Così Franchisee Bets TV Reporter $10,000 Restaurant Will Stay Mouse-Free

Così Franchisee Bets TV Reporter $10,000 Restaurant Will Stay Mouse-Free

A franchise of the sandwichery Così in Washington, D.C. was closed down yesterday due to a failed health inspection. What were the restaurant’s violations? Meats stored at unacceptable temperatures, improperly labeled food, food preparation surfaces not clean or sanitized, and mice. So many mouse droppings. [More]

Truck Carrying 6,000 Gallons Of Milk Crashes Into House, Homeowner Probably Cries

Truck Carrying 6,000 Gallons Of Milk Crashes Into House, Homeowner Probably Cries

A couple near Pittsburgh were just minding their own business and getting ready for dinner when they heard a sound like an earthquake. There was not an earthquake in Pittsburgh: there was a tanker truck full of milk on a collision course with their house. [More]

Two Terrible People Robbed Girl Scout Selling Cookies Outside Of Grocery Store

Two Terrible People Robbed Girl Scout Selling Cookies Outside Of Grocery Store

We all eventually learn the difficult lesson that the world is out to get us and our small electronics. One young girl in Florida learned this in an unfortunate time and place: two men took off with her cell phone while she and a friend sold Girl Scout cookies in front of a grocery store. [More]

(Twitter)

New From Cadbury: Milk Chocolate Bar With Wasp

How does a wasp end up embedded in a chocolate bar? Cadbury isn’t sure, and neither is the person who allegedly found the insect in his snack. [More]

Fitbit Apologizes To “Very Limited Number Of” Force Owners With Skin Irritation

Fitbit Apologizes To “Very Limited Number Of” Force Owners With Skin Irritation

After Consumerist broke the story on Monday, mysterious rashes caused by the wearable motion tracker Fitbit have been in the news all over the world. The company has issued an apology to what they call a “very limited number of Fitbit Force users” who have a mysterious skin irritation underneath their wristbands. [More]

(LaBellaVida)

Baby Allowed Inside Fanciest Restaurant In Chicago, Cries

Alinea in Chicago is an expensive molecular gastronomy restaurant. It is so exclusive and fancy that most adults probably imagine that they aren’t allowed inside. Apparently the question of “can I bring my infant?” has never come up…until this weekend. [More]

(Wade Morgen)

When An Ambulance Is Really A $160 Per Mile Taxi

No one questions the life-saving service that ambulances provide, or the expense of keeping teams of life-saving professionals on call 24 hours a day. One Tennessee man was horrified when he paid almost $800 for an ambulance to fetch him from his third-floor apartment and take him to the hospital when he hurt his back. He didn’t need life support: he would have done just fine with an elevator and a taxi. [More]

Fake Service Animals Hurt Real Disabled People, Store Carpets

Fake Service Animals Hurt Real Disabled People, Store Carpets

No matter now much you wish you could bring your pet everywhere, it’s not cool to pass your dog off as a service animal in order to do so. The problem is that impersonating a service dog is very easy to do, thanks to the privacy rules that are part of the Americans with Disabilities Act. [More]

Bank Cleans Out, Forecloses On Wrong House

Bank Cleans Out, Forecloses On Wrong House

The crew got their orders from the bank: a house was getting repossessed, and it was their job to clean it out. They did. What they didn’t know was that they had the wrong house. The real target was a home on a street with the same name in a different town. Who screwed up? The repo crew? The bank? The person who named the streets? [More]

Customer Wants Refund After Storage Facility Let Rats Eat Her Stuff

Customer Wants Refund After Storage Facility Let Rats Eat Her Stuff

When you rent a storage unit, you sort of assume that most of your worldly belongings won’t be nommed on by rats. That’s why you’re paying for a storage unit, and didn’t pile your furniture and family heirlooms in the woods or in an abandoned building. Yet a California storage facility just sort of shrugged when one of their customers lost many of her belongings in a rat infestation. [More]

Have you seen these sparklies?

Did You Buy $18K Diamond Earrings For $20 At A Yard Sale? This Lady Needs Them Back

“Didn’t you already post this story, Consumerist?” you’re probably asking. Nope, we didn’t. We previously shared the story of a California man who accidentally sold his wife’s diamond ring at a community yard sale for $10. This is the story of a California woman who accidentally sold her own diamond earrings in the pocket of a jean jacket for $20. [More]