Does Amazon Want Everyone To Know My Neighbor Bought A Fire Phone?

“Amazon would like you to know that there is a $300 phone on your neighbor’s porch,” reader Will wrote to us, attaching a photo that he took in the common area of his condo complex. Could that be? Is Amazon really labeling boxes that contain the Fire Phone with what’s inside and not requiring carriers to ask customers for a signature? Nope.

facebook-fire-phone

“I couldn’t believe that they would label the contents of a box,” he wrote, noting that all packages for his building get left in that common area. There are about 80 units in the building, which means that anyone could wander off with this phone.

The catch? There probably isn’t a phone inside. It’s possible, especially if an apartment staffer signed for the package, but unlikely. We checked with Amazon, and a spokesperson told us that the “Fire phone” tape is simply being used in place of the normal Amazon Prime-branded tape used for shipments via Prime. “The wrapping on the box will be used on all US shipments where tape is used to seal packages – it is not limited to Fire phone deliveries,” she told us.

Seeing this tape on a package doesn’t mean there’s a Fire phone inside the box: Amazon is just taking another opportunity to advertise its new gadget to its frequent customers.

Read Comments8

1. Naskarrkid says:

I’ve always been told not to put big boxes on the street so thieves don’t know you just bought a new TV, Amazon is basically doing the same thing, but before you open the box.

2. theoriginalcatastrophegirl says:

right, i got a package wednesday, completely not a phone. it had this tape.

• furiousd says:

Same, the box said Amazon Pantry, but the tape was the same as pictured above

• GnRJosh says:

Yep, if someone would have stolen the box at my doorstep yesterday that had this tape, thinking the phone was inside, they would have been very disappointed to find 3 packages of moisture-wicking socks….unless that’s what they’re into.

• theoriginalcatastrophegirl says:

oh socks! mine was plantar fasciitis correcting socks. since they are a gift i would have been extra disappointed if someone thought they were a phone and stole them. and the software i ordered.

• sylphon says:

Yep, me too, it contained many (heavy) hardcover books, no electronics. When I got a kindle later that week it came in an nondescript regular small package, I almost thought it was just another book I’d ordered. So at least they’ve changed their kindle packaging from a few years ago where the box was printed all over about being ‘your new kindle’.

3. Cara says:

I don’t think that tape is suggesting that there is an Amazon Fire inside. For a long time, our Amazon packages had tape advertising Amazon Prime. This is just a way for them to advertise to people.

When they sent us our kindles, they arrived in a box that was very clearly indicated as a Kindle – so in that case, I think the outrage is legit. The kindle had its own distinctly shaped and labelled box, it wasn’t sent in another box like the above picture.