Doughnut Shop Bans “Rude” 4-Year-Old Boy For Asking Woman If She Was Pregnant

Little kids ask questions. Unfortunately, they don’t always realize that their questions may be insensitive or inappropriate. Lots of adults let kids slide for their occasionally tactless queries, but the mother of one 4-year-old says a local doughnut shop is taking a hard line regarding her son’s behavior.

The mom tells WFSB-TV that she and her son had recently visited a doughnut shop in Monroe, CT, when her youngster asked a woman in the store if she “had a baby in her belly.”

She didn’t.

According to the mom, who was embarrassed by her son’s question and apologized, the woman took the query well, telling her it was “no problem,” and that she gets asked that all the time by young children.

But when the mom and son pairing returned earlier this week, they did not receive a warm welcome from store management.

“We were screamed at in front of the door, ‘he’s not allowed in here, he’s rude’,” claims the mom.

WFSB says no one at the shop is commenting on the incident, but the mom is planning on taking her business elsewhere.

“Some people, unfortunately are quick to pass judgment,” she explains.

Read Comments7

1. Cara says:

I don’t think it’s “rude” coming from a young child like that, but it’s definitely not a polite question, either, although not one I would really expect a four year old to fully understand. It seems like both the mother and the other customer handled it well, so I wonder why the management had such a reaction?

2. CzarChasm says:

We have become so PC that we have to punish 4 year olds for being “rude”. Wonderful.

3. SuperSpeedBump says:

Of course, no one is questioning what happened in the shop after the woman and her kid left. Maybe the larger woman turned to the shop owner and voiced strong enough complaints to warrant the ban? Maybe the Mother flat out lied about what her son said to that other woman?

Until we know all the details, this is nothing more than a 1 sided complaint with a lot of incomplete information.

• CzarChasm says:

It’s a 4 YEAR OLD. Why would you care what he said? How insecure can you possibly be?

The fact that the store refuses to comment also lends plausibility to the mother’s story.

• mzmoose says:

I partly agree with SuperSpeedBump – there’s something missing to this tale. I’m very fat and young children will often ask if I’m having a baby. It’s perfectly normal and likely caused by the child recently seeing a pregnant woman and then thinking that all women with big bellies are having a baby. It’s not an insult, and it is heavily implied that the adults believed that the kid was saying “You are fat.”

The sad part of this tale, to me, is that the concepts of “fat is a bad ” is an adult concepts. Young children do not think these things on their own, they learn them from adults. Even if the child had said to the woman, “You are fat,” in exact words, that’s no more of an insult than saying, “You are white” or “You are tall.” Children need to understand that people come in all different shapes and sizes and colors, and that while they have differences, it’s important not to judge them on how they look, but by who they are inside. Such a shame.

4. webalias says:

I’m surprised by the shop’s reaction — kids in restaurants and other food establishments often do a lot worse. I’ve had somebody else’s unsupervised four-year-old come over to my booth, start helping themselves to items on my plate, and ask various natural-for-a-kid but still inappropriate questions. If I were the customer questioned by this child, I’d have been tempted to ask him if he’d heard the story of Hansel and Gretel. I’d explain that my stomach tends to get large after a big meal, and that I’m always looking for something nice and tasty for my oven, at my house deep in the woods.