Whataburger Worker Claims She Was Ordered To Clean Dining Room, Bathroom Floors With A Toothbrush

(KHOU-11)

(KHOU-11)

Part of the job of a fast food employee is to keep the restaurant clean — but one Texas Whataburger worker who works as a cook claims she was humiliated when managers ordered her to clean the dining room floor and both the men’s and women’s restrooms, allegedly using only the humble toothbrush as her tool.

In addition to that, she claims that she’s been the subject of repeated jokes and insults about her weight, she tells KHOU-11.

”I just let it get to me because you hear it over and over and over,” she said.

But she said the order she received from a manager was even worse than the alleged insults: “She said we’ve got to get on our hands and knees and clean the floor with a toothbrush.”

Her mother shot a cell phone video of her daughter working on the floors through a window, where the brush does appear to be larger than a toothbrush, but it’s still a small brush. The worker says she was on her hands and knees for four hours cleaning all the floors, and injured her knees during the process. She’s filed a workman’s comp claim as well as a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

A Whataburger spokesperson didn’t address the alleged jokes and insults, but disputes the idea that she was given a toothbrush to clean the floors, saying the tool provided was a tile and grout hand brush, saying in a statement:

“One of our Core Values at Whataburger is to treat others with respect. We also pride ourselves in providing a safe and clean working environment. Therefore we ask all of our employees at all levels to participate in keeping our restaurants clean for our customers. Cleaning with proper cleaning equipment is standard operating procedure for all our restaurants.”

While the worker says the physical pain will likely go away, the emotional pain caused by the task lingers.

“It makes me feel so disgusted,” she said.

Whataburger employee says she was ordered to clean the floor with a toothbrush [KHOU-11]

Read Comments9

1. CzarChasm says:

She had probably never cleaned anything in her life, so couldn’t understand why she was being asked to do it now.

• ResNullum says:

By that same logic, we can also deduce you’ve never been asked to be anything but presumptuous and insulting.

• CzarChasm says:

^ makes a presumptuous and insulting post to complain about someone being presumptuous and insulting. Touche’.

• ResNullum says:

Do you know what “by that logic” means?

• MarthaGaill says:

It’s insultception…

• CzarChasm says:

You keep using that word, I do not think that word means what you think it means.

• ResNullum says:

Ah, so you’re just trolling with prefabricated remarks.

On the off chance you honestly don’t understand why I said what I did: you made an insulting remark because of a baseless assumption you have since provided no evidence or support for. If that is somehow logical, then the same procedure can be used to conclude all manner of insulting things about you, which I illustrated by doing. The point was to show how absurd your own line of reasoning was, but you either don’t see that or are unwilling to admit it. In either case, I’m obviously wasting my time.

• CzarChasm says:

I can’t back up my statement with facts, because it is a generalization based on the work habits of kids today. Not all statements have to be backed up with fact, and in fact generalizations cannot be in most cases.

Most people would understand that, but clearly, you aren’t that bright, which is now supported with fact. You are also overly sensitive, another fact based on the evidence that you got so upset about a throw away one liner, you had to turn it into a major diatribe.

One thing we certainly agree on, you have wasted your time trying to prove to me (and the rest of the interwebs) how smart you are.

2. OrionBFury says:

I’ve had to deep scrub floors for places I’ve worked at. Mind you, I had a brush that I could use standing up, but 4 hours sounds about right. Maybe she was targeted to clean to mock/insult her, maybe her boss felt she was the best one for the job, or that she was the least skilled for other needed jobs at the time. If a cleaning was needed prior to a big visit, then every surface needs to be hit, and maybe she was unable to do the other spots, like behind grills, or lights and such, and the manager was trying to balance the workload across all employees.

People can be cruel thought, so I’d say it seems likely that it’s a combination of the two.