Guy With Hidden Camera Asks Fast Food Workers To Remake His Orders More Like The Ads

Ask and ye shall maybe receive.

Ask and ye shall maybe receive.

While it’s no news to anyone who has eyes in their head that fast food reality barely ever lives up to those glistening tomatoes, perky lettuce and perfectly chargrilled patties in the ads, what if you simply asked for your food to be remade in its commercial image? Either you’d get a lot of laughing in your face, or heck, maybe you could convince someone to try a little bit harder just for you.

In the below video, one man makes it his mission (with a hidden camera, natch, because the only way to know if someone really wants to do something for you is to keep the unaware that they’re being filmed either way) to see if fast food workers will redo his order to match up more closely with web ads for each item.

Of course, most of his orders are sadly lacking in prettiness, but he does manage to convince some kindhearted employees to redo his food with some more inspiring success.

Though we can’t imagine all restaurants requiring workers to keep with this level of advertised perfection, it does beg the question — Why are we all so used to the fact that often, we’re not getting what companies are selling? I don’t have an answer, it just makes me kind of sad.

Anyway, while we can all probably expect unpretty food, it never hurts to ask. As one worker laughs, “I’ve never heard that before.”

Read Comments8

1. SuperSpeedBump says:

To me, it looks like they all use Green Leaf Lettuce in the photos and Iceberg Lettuce in the food?

• MarthaGaill says:

They always do that. The worst is when it’s beautiful leafy lettuce in the picture and for some reason shredded iceburg lettuce when you actually order. I HATE SHREDDED LETTUCE ON BURGERS! It’s not practical at all.

I wonder if he ate the remade food. I’d be afraid of a little tampering.

• SingleMaltGeek says:

That’s what I was thinking, that this is just begging them to add some “special sauce”.

2. radioone says:

This is sort of ridiculous. It looks like the guy had the common courtesy to go off hours.

Everyone knows, whole production teams make food look perfect for a photo shoot. Using tricks of the trade, like using Elmer’s Glue for cereal shoots instead of milk.

The hubris to go into a store and put yourself upon some people just trying to earn a living.

• Raekwon says:

Yeah but if you watch the video he doesn’t go for perfection. He just wants it somewhat close to the pictures. Often stuff is just slapped on and I’ve gotten burgers where the insides don’t even make it between the buns or parts are missing (looks like some of his were like this). Nobody expects it to match the pictures exactly. The fact that fast food workers get crap wages for a lot of work is a different issue entirely.

3. IMakeMyOwnSnarkAtHome says:

One time I got a Double Quarter Pounder from McDonalds through the drive through, and it looked exactly like an advertisement. Everything was in the perfect place and it looked amazing. I called the McDonalds up when I got home and asked to speak to the manager, and when she was on the phone I told her how excited I was that this burger looked so amazing. She was kind of confused about how excited I was, but was thankful that I took the time to compliment her team.

I still think about that burger to this day.

4. webalias says:

As Tocqueville said, in a democracy, the people get the government they deserve. Democracy or not, we Americans are getting the fast food we deserve. If we demanded more, we’d get more, but few of us do. Me, I have high standards. Tonight, I’ll partake of a “gourmet” sandwich at Jimmy Johns, unless I opt for one of the creations of the “sandwich artists” at Subway. On second thought, I deserve no less than one of the “World’s Greatest Hamburgers” at Fuddruckers.

5. DyinMyelin says:

FFS, if you want a restaurant burger go to a diner, get a fantastic California cheeseburger with a bun that doesn’t look like someone sat on it, a side of fries, and a huge pickle.