Adobe Creative Cloud Login Outage Takes Users’ Productivity With It

When Adobe announced that future releases of its Creative Suite software would only be released using a subscription-based model, it was completely unsurprising that 61.2% of Consumerist readers told us in a poll that they’ll switch to Creative Cloud when Adobe pulls CS6 out of their cold, dead hard drives. This week, Creative Cloud’s login outage validated our readers’ point of view. Users were unable to switch computers, log in, start new subscriptions, or add services. Some weren’t able to use their programs at all.

This raised an important question for many people who have digital creative jobs: is it really such a good idea to leave so much of their workflow and their destiny in the hands of a single company? “First, and most importantly, we want to apologize for this outage because we know how critical our services are to you and how disruptive it’s been to those of you who felt the impact,” Adobe said in their statement apologizing for the outage. Calling Adobe programs “critical” to many users is a gross understatement.

“Either I wait it out for Adobe to fix the problem and risk the ire of clients on deadline, or I’ll have to fork out for expensive stand-alone font licenses to use fonts that I’ve already paid Adobe a subscription fee for,” one user complained to The Daily Beast while the outage was ongoing.

Adobe claims that the outage wasn’t related to a hack or other security issue, which is good news after the company suffered from a massive data breach less than a year ago.

Adobe restores Creative Cloud login service after day-long outage [CNET]
Adobe’s ‘Creative Cloud’ Goes Offline—and Takes a Million Designers With It [Daily Beast]

Read Comments6

1. CommonC3nts says:

One would think that adobe would setup a backup way to run your software if you are a business customer.
    It could be a start one time only when you lose internet then you cant start again until you get internet back.
    A 1800 number where you can enter in your serial and get a temp code to start the software.

They should have some backup plan for businesses otherwise no one is going to use it.

2. Lenne says:

I don’t like the idea of cloud based services. With the feds nosing in on everything you do, it just seems like a big red flag personal security issue. I guess you have to decide whether you trust a company enough to contain your intellectual property and keep it safe, not only from the feds, but the companies themselves. Who knows what the companies in question are REALLY doing with your data? I would much rather be a responsible computer user and back up my data on a regular basis, and if I REALLY need my data at hand 24/7, I will take a secure thumb drive. Afraid you are going to lose the drive? No biggie, ‘they’ build thumb drives into harder to lose items such as wristwatches, rings, wallet chains etc. I may sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I firmly hold to be true that the only person you can really trust is yourself.

3. PsiCopB5 says:

All the more reason for people to start looking for alternatives to Adobe’s products, particularly of the open-source variety. While some Adobe products don’t have comparable open-source alternatives, I can’t help but imagine there are settings and situations where something else could, and should, be used: The GIMP, Darktable, Scribus, and Blender, to name a few.

Also there are proprietary products, some less expensive, that don’t force one to be hooked into a “cloud.” Apple makes Aperture, Final Cut, and Logic Pro. Corel makes several wannabe Adobe titles, too. There are Acrobat replacements like PDFPen, and for fonts one can use Typekit.

As I said, not all the folks who use Adobe CC products may be able to take advantage of any of these, particularly where they must be able to open files they’ve already created in Adobe products (e.g. Scribus can’t open Indesign files), but they all merit at least some investigation. It certainly can’t hurt to try them out. The sooner the better, it seems!

• Thorzdad2 says:

The problem with some of the alternatives is that they don’t really incorporate features professionals need. GIMP, for instance, is always trotted out as a viable Photoshop replacement. However, even if you ignore the wonky UI (it’s getting better) GIMP does not do CMYK, which eliminates it from ever being used by pros working in print. And, unless you’re only ever going to be doing web work, a graphics pro is going to need CMYK (as well as its attendant color management tools) every day.

As for Adobe and its crap-tastic move to CC…I’m happily using CS5 for my every day work, and have a copy of CS6 handy, in case I ever need to update. There’s no CC in my future.

• furiousd says:

I started using GIMP as an undergrad since I couldn’t afford Photoshop (the university only paid for it if you were in graphic design, not a computer engineer working in image processing) and I’ve continued to use it since it can readily handle most of what I need it to do.

4. furiousd says:

A similar problem was Xactware’s foray into cloud-only access. The problem? Most of the catastrophe insurance adjusters who use their software are working in… catastrophe areas. Katrina, Sandy, etc. left the areas with no internet access to speak of and even for those who tried satellite internet set up in areas couldn’t get the bandwidth necessary to get people checks from their insurers. Cloud anything is a nice idea in some situations and is great to have access to when you’re away from your primary workstation, but a complete shift away doesn’t make sense at the current state of technology.