Sun Chips Bags Shrink From 10 Ounces To 7 Ounces, Price Stays The Same

7 ounces of Sunchips. (Photo: Coyoty)

7 ounces of Sunchips. (Photo: Coyoty)

Usually, we try to stay at the forefront of Grocery Shrink Ray news, letting you know when we learn that a company has reduced the size of a product while keeping the price the same. Frito-Lay has been rolling out a massive shrinkage of Sun Chips, zapping bags from 10 ounces to only 7 ounces. Removing a third of the chips by weight? Noooo!

It doesn’t seem that long ago that we were bemoaning the shrink-rayage of Frito-Lay’s Sun Chips from 11.5 ounces to 10.5 ounces. Turns out it was six years ago. This time, the change is dramatic, and the brand has a Facebook page where customers can rant about the change.

It’s not like Americans need large quantities of corn chips laden with salt and flavoring powder. We’d probably be better off not eating them at all. While such a dramatic decrease is probably better for our health, but any Shrink Rayage makes us sad.

We contacted Frito-Lay to confirm this shrinkage, but they didn’t get back to us. They have been asking customers who complain about the difference to call their customer service line, where they will presumably receive coupons that don’t make up for losing a quarter of the chips in each bag.

Read Comments6

1. MarthaGaill says:

Really, though, would people rather the bag size stay the same and the price go up or have the price stay the same and the amount of food go down? I think most people would rather the price stay the same.

• Merlyn says:

Honestly, who would prefer either? I would prefer if the amount of chips in the bag shrink, so does the amount I’m paying for the bag of chips. But I won’t hold my breath for that to happen.

• SingleMaltGeek says:

Really? Eventually that would mean ridiculously small servings for everything. But I think the reason that this really bothers me is because it feels like what Spirit does with airfares — trying to hide the true cost through deception or obfuscation. I’d rather KNOW that Sun Chips are now more expensive than just pay more per ounce without realizing it.

Also, this is why I pay much more attention to unit price than to the total price when shopping.

• Snarkapus says:

And that’s exactly why the companies HATE unit pricing. An informed customer can’t be jerked around.

• SingleMaltGeek says:

When the unit price isn’t given, or it’s in different units for different brands, I will often stand there and stare at the price tags, looking like Rain Man as I figure out and compare the unit prices in my head.

I’d call it more of a compulsion than an obsession.

2. oomingmak says:

The grocery “shrink ray” has been out in force lately. I just noticed that the bag of Iams dog food I usually buy shrank from 12.5 lbs. to 11 lbs. for the exact same price. I old bag was already too small so I’m not happy with this change at all.