Congratulations To Comcast, Your 2014 Worst Company In America!

Four years since winning its first Worst Company tournament, Comcast’s doubted that the Kabletown Krusher could ever regain that 2010 form. But after a few years of letting others hold the title, Comcast was fiercely intent on bringing a second Golden Poo to its Philadelphia lair. And in one of the narrowest Final Death Matches in the centuries’ long history of WCIA battle, Comcast managed to hold the genetically modified body blows of Monsanto.

finaldeathmatch2014

From the onset of the day-long bout, lawsuit-lovin’, herbicide-makin’ Monsanto was within striking distance of the Philly Kid, but Comcast gained a hair-thin edge early on and never ceded the lead.

Comcast’s road to the Poo started out without a speedbump, as the company powered through the first three rounds without ever giving up more than 30% of the vote. And with two-time reigning champ EA eliminated in Round One by Comcast’s merger partner Time Warner Cable, followed by three-time consecutive runner-up Bank of America’s surprise defeat at the hands of Walmart, Comcast seemed destined for the Final Death Match.

But the nation’s largest cable and Internet provider (which is trying to become even larger), almost got stopped in its track by first-time contender SeaWorld, riding high on waves of negative publicity tied to the documentary Blackfish. Comcast pulled off a buzzer-beater to hold off SeaWorld and earn its place in the Final Death Match.

Comcast’s win makes it only the second company to claim multiple Poos. Last year, video game biggie EA was both the first two-time winner and its first repeat champ.

And so that’s it for WCIA 2014. See you again next year!

PS: Here is the full bracket from this year’s tournament:
2014wciabracketqfinal

Read Comments8

1. oomingmak says:

Hugely disappointed with how Consumerist handled the poll this year. The end result is essentially meaningless. Seemingly random voting times, unexplained methodologies, unanswered questions and complaints, etc. Pretty much boilerplate for how NOT to run a poll.

• Instegone says:

Agreed, it didnt look like there was anything to stop folks from voting multiple times, randomly would get popups to vote and odd times etc. And how Target lost to McDonalds is beyond me.

• Merlyn says:

Agreed. Absolutely nothing made sense this year. I had multiple opportunities it seems to vote as many times as I wanted with the poll. While I kept myself honest and voted once, there was nothing stopping people from clicking for their preference as many times as they wanted. While I didn’t expect EA to take it again this year, I most certainly didn’t expect them to get eliminated in the first round. This may have been due to excessive voting. But we’ll never know because Consumerist doesn’t seem to be talking.

• MarthaGaill says:

You know, I don’t even care about the stupid poll. I still frequent the site, but I miss the way it was when every day they were posting letters from readers who needed help and advice dealing with businesses or from readers who had insight into dealing with a problem. It’s pretty much devolved into shock stories about people punching McDonald’s workers.

Bring back the old Consumerist. Turn it back into something helpful. Instead of 95% shock stories and 5% helpful articles, let it be helpful with occasional shock story. Laura, I know you’re in the comments pretty often, why the change?

• ConsumeristModeratorRoz says:

Just a reminder, folks, of our comment code: “Stick to the point of the article. Meta discussions of the website editorial direction, the Executive Editor’s bad haircut, or whether or not the article should have been written in the first place are not appropriate. If you have suggestions or feedback for the editors, please email tips@consumerist.com with your comments.”

Contrasting opinions are ok, but let’s not devolve into into insulting language either. More here:

• Thorzdad2 says:

It really was weird how you could vote multiple times for the same pairing. I think I counted it up and, on one page, I could cast a vote four times. I could then leave the site and come back and vote again.

• Ebucel says:

In google chrome you could vote @ the top of the page every time you opened a different page or refreshed the current page.

Also Martha is right, I loved the comment section prior to the removal of it.

Not quite the same in it’s new incarnation.