Don’t Like 24/7 Billy Joel? SiriusXM Can Just Suspend Your Service

40sjoelLate last month, SiriusXM took ’40s on 4, its earliest decade-themed station, off the air and replaced it with a three-month temporary station that plays only the music of Billy Joel. Earlier this week, we shared a reader’s tip to complain and get a three-month refund for the inconvenience. Well, SiriusXM is on to us.

The station’s fans include a much more diverse range of people than you might think, most of whom are well under eighty years old. They also have satellite radio subscriptions so they can listen to the stations that they pay for in the car.

Katie called to complain, and SiriusXM had a new offer for people unhappy with the programming change: if she likes ’40s on 4 so much, they can just suspend her subscription for the three months it’s off the air. Some people might think this is a fair compromise, but Katie isn’t one of ‘em.

Her subscription would be on “a total blackout and then restart service on June 26,” Katie writes. “This reminded me more of a punishment to a child, for complaining about what I was promised was taken from me ….therefore they are taking everything away.”

Katie’s subscription was paid up through the end of 2014. She didn’t like SiriusXM’s proposed compromise, so she asked to cancel her subscription instead. She wasn’t set up with credit card auto-renewals, so she doesn’t have to worry about her account going zombie and SiriusXM charging her again later on.

Sad About Losing SiriusXM ’40s On 4? Try Asking For A Refund
SiriusXM Swaps ’40s Music For Billy Joel, Learns That People Really Love ’40s Music

Read Comments7

1. Shappie says:

With the huge amount of channels available, is cancelling service really necessary? can’t just someone listen to another channel for the time being? Maybe I’m not seeing the big picture, but I have several channels I listen to and losing one would be an inconvience, but it will come back in 3 months so whoop-de-doo…

• MarthaGaill says:

That’s kind of how I feel. Get an iPod, lady.

• PhillyDom says:

What makes you think SiriusXM is telling the truth about the channel coming back? Maybe the Joel channel is just a trial balloon for yanking the ’40s channel permanently.

2. dullard8 says:

I agree with Shappie. Publishing this tip seems like a way of telling people “Hey, here’s a way to get three free months from SiriusXM whether you listen to the 40s or not.”

Keep on sticking it to business. Pretty soon there won’t be a business to stick to to.

3. MissPurdy says:

Geez, people get over it. With the variety of channels on SiriusXM you can’t do without one of them for 3 months? Holy smokes

4. KevinBlah says:

You would be surprised at the number of people who subscribe to satellite radio and only listen to one channel.

5. radioone says:

I have had some form of Sirius radio available since 2005… I was a straight paying customer until 2009.

Sirius(XM) does this all the time… I do feel for the people who like the 40’s music channel because there is not an available commercial alternative.

If it were me and I was really upset I’d call and ask for a refund or for an extra free 3 months added to my service. But I don’t, so if the other music wasn’t my taste I’d just to the news, talk, lifestyle or sports channel at the other end of the dial.