87,000 People Petition McDonald’s To Put Veggie Burgers On Menu

In spite of the salads on the menu, most fast food eateries cater to omnivores. I remember working with a vegetarian who would (willingly, mind you) go with me and my fellow co-workers to local fast food joints and order cheeseburgers without the meat, content to eat just the bun and cheese slices. Perhaps, all these years later, she’s one of the nearly 90,000 people who have signed a petition asking McDonald’s to put veggie burgers on the menu.

Burger King already offers a veggie option at some locations, and McDonald’s sells them at its restaurants in India, but not stateside.

The creators of this Change.org petition, which currently has 87,800 signatures, are asking McDonald’s CEO Don Thompson to please give non-meat-eating consumers a reason to visit the Golden Arches.

“Adding plant-based protein options at McDonald’s will appeal to workers out for a quick lunch, families with health-conscious members out to dinner, children on field trips, and anyone looking for something different than the current menu at McDonald’s where even the french fries contain beef flavoring,” reads the petition.

The author of the petition tells the Wall Street Journal that she believes McDonald’s is being short-sighted by not having a proper veggie option.

“They’re not only not getting the new customers who are health-minded, they’re losing customers to competitors,” she claims.

Of course, McDonald’s may be reluctant to release a veggie burger after another quarter of flat sales. The company recently blamed its overly complicated menu — which included too many limited-time and test offerings — for consumers becoming alienated with the brand.

[via Eater.com]

Read Comments9

1. SuperSpeedBump says:

I would love to see this happen. I would also like to see Burger King remove the eggs from their veggie patty so I can eat that as well.

• CommonC3nts says:

What does the egg whites really matter?? They only use egg whites in their veggie burgers.
      Egg whites are not part of any animal. Egg whites are food for the animal in the egg.
      Egg white consists primarily of about 90% water into which is dissolved 10% proteins (including albumins, mucoproteins, and globulins).
      Technically a vegetarian should be able to eat egg whites if they can drink milk.

• SuperSpeedBump says:

It matters because I choose to not eat eggs.

• Xenotaku says:

1) Vegetarian, yes. Vegan, no. Vegans do not eat ANY type of product that comes from an animal.

2) While I don’t do veggie burgers, I happen to have an intolerance to egg whites. So I wouldn’t be able to eat their veggie patty.

• theoriginalcatastrophegirl says:

many many years ago when i worked at BK (mid 90′s) we didn’t offer a veggie burger but we would make a cheese and veggie sandwich on request. it came up on the screen as “cheeseburger no meat double cheese”
      eggs were never a part of it, but i can’t imagine why they’d make a vegetarian option with eggs. doesn’t make sense

2. CommonC3nts says:

No one is going to eat this.
    Also the vegans wont be able to eat it anyways as it will be cooked on the same grill that has beef juice/residue.

• SuperSpeedBump says:

Almost 90,000 people have signed the petition, which is a great way of saying that 90,000 people have committed to eating this.

Also, there’s no way of knowing how McDonalds will choose to prepare a veggie burger. Many companies have wised up and realized that cross-contamination is a big deal and have taken steps to reduce instances of it happening.

3. SirJanes says:

I wish they would not call whatever it is a “burger”. A burger should be meat. I’ve eaten a delicious Indian whatever it was called. I request vegans and their ilk reject the word “burger” . Call it whatever Brahmans call it.

• SuperSpeedBump says:

I request that omnivores stop thinking that they own the rights to every food word ever invented. Words have different meanings, definitions and connotations… get over it!