Over at DealNews, they outline some items that, according to their research, you may or may not find the best deals on during the month of January. What should you avoid shopping for?
- Shiny new game consoles. The Xbox One and Playstation 4 are still hot items right now. We probably won’t see discounts on them until spring at the earliest.
- Televisions. Unless you need a new one right now, wait until February: prices will fall a little more. Start shopping in January: if you find the right deal for you, nab it, but prices might continue to fall.
Ah, but there are also some items that Dealnews says that you should consider buying in January, because the best deals around are going on now or about to start soon. What are those things?
- Christmas stuff. That one’s obvious, and it may even be too late. For those retailers that have some holiday items on the shelves and haven’t cleared them all out in favor of Easter candy yet, you can get some nice deals. Some items that aren’t explicitly Christmassy like winter-themed mugs or major-brand candies in red and green wrappers might still be on shelves, too.
- Furniture. New collections come out in February: get great deals on the old ones now.
- Winter clothing. Need a new coat or boots? Better get them now, while they’re on clearance. Some retailers already have winter clothes priced at up to 80% off.
Tax software. Wait, what? We don’t even have our W-2s yet. That’s why you can get nice deals on copies of tax software early on, as low as 40%. Make sure that the one you choose includes state filing if you live in a state that requires a tax return: some programs charge extra.
The Best and Worst Things to Buy in January [Dealnews]