Walmart To Workers: Sorry You Won’t Be Home On Thanksgiving, Here’s A Turkey Dinner

There’s nothing like a home-cooked meal, surrounded by loved ones with the warmth and satisfaction that comes from a full belly and companionship. Walmart thinks it can replace at least parts of that experience by giving employees a turkey dinner with mashed potatoes, rolls and pie for anyone working on Thanksgiving Day.

Any workers on overnight, day or evening shifts on Thanksgiving will get a meal on the house from Walmart, a Walmart spokesman says. That’ll be about 1 million employees he added, as the Black Friday sales start at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day this year, reports ABC News.

“We’ll have turkey, mashed potatoes, rolls, and pies. The pies will vary based on regional varieties, so there will be pecan in the south, pumpkin everywhere, probably apple pie in regions where that is traditional. Regional traditions will be reflected in what we bring in,” the spokesman said.

It won’t be bringing in your Grandma to cook, however — catering firms and other restaurants near the stores will cook up the meals. Many stores will offer employees sandwiches to help ease the pain of the holiday rush on Friday as well.

“The idea is to make it as fun and festive as we can,” adds the spokesman.

Walmart’s EVP said as much on Monday, saying any complaints are in the minority because store “associates are really excited to work that day. It’s a pretty high-energy day for associates as well.”

It doesn’t sound fun to at least some workers, one of whom started one of the many Change.org petitions against Walmart’s holiday hours.

“Most businesses are closed on Thanksgiving, I understand that Walmart is a staple in many towns, but everyone survives it being closed on Christmas. As a single mother, it breaks my heart to know that I won’t be able to spend that time with my son,” writes the author of the petition.

Walmart to Give Workers Turkey Dinner on Thanksgiving [ABC News]

Read Comments10

1. ShadyTrust says:

“The idea is to make it as fun and festive as we can”

How about by allowing employees the day off to be festive with their families?

• ChicagoGeek84 says:

I think it’s nice of them. I’m not a big fan of a lot of what Walmart does, but I at least understand that they’re a business and are competing against all the other stores that will be open at the same time.

Retailers don’t force shoppers in their doors when they open. If people didn’t shop on Thanksgiving, employees wouldn’t work on Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, that’s not the society we’re in.

• CzarChasm says:

Right, so because they can’t give them the day off, they should give them nothing at all? Brilliant. Are you Dogbert in disguise?

2. pguyton2 says:

I worked at CVS many years on both thanksgiving and Christmas Day, I honestly didn’t mind, it was very slow I was paid 2x on top of the full days holiday pay (so basically 3x), they brought in a massive amount of food for us and it was a volunteer basis. It was super slow all day. I didn’t really have any family events to attend so it worked out well for me.

not true for everyone, but some people might be fine with it.

3. FusioptimaSX says:

But they’ve done this for quite sometime! Maybe it’s an upper chain of command thing.

4. ZLoth says:

So, the question becomes… where will the executives be on Thanksgiving Day who made this decision? Probably not helping out at the stores.

5. evogel says:

I went to a interview event for the MSFT Store. They said pretty much the same thing. Will be working turkey day but we will have a turkey dinner for you…… In a way I am glad I will not get hired….

6. PhillyDom says: