Be Honest: You’re Facebooking While You Drive

There’s no formal study backing us up on this, but we’d guess that 100% of drivers (and Internet commenters) condemn people who text or check the Internet while they drive. Like many terrible, terrible habits, though, we humans condemn things that we ourselves do. A lot. According to a new survey by insurance company State farm, 24% of drivers admit to some kind of keyboard-related activity while driving.

No, not just in the car. While they are actually in control of the car, steering thousands of pounds of metal, plastic, and flammable liquid at a high speed in close proximity to other equally dangerous vehicles. Drivers between ages 17 and 29 have even scarier stats: 49% say that they’ve engaged in browsing while driving before.

Yeah, you think that you’re invincible, that you’re a much better driver than all of those other idiots on the road, and you would never be hurt or killed. There are other scary prospects, though. Before you remove your right hand from the wheel, just remember this cautionary tale: a Wisconsin man looked down at his phone to text, and the next thing he knew, he crashed his car into a tanker full of liquid manure.

Study: People Are Checking Email & Surfing Internet While Driving [CBS Local]

Read Comments10

1. MathManv2point0 says:

Never while in motion. At a red stop light with the “walking person” indicator still up in the cross walk… maybe… depends on the state… maybe….

2. TheRealSpottedfeather says:

It would be quite impossible for me to go on the internet while driving. One, I don’t have a license or a car. Two, I don’t have a phone to go on the internet with. I don’t believe in phones being able to do anything other than call people. I don’t have a phone of any kind.

3. JustPassingBy says:

I also have a dumb phone. Almost been hit so many times by those who really have to be online while driving.

4. PJford15 says:

I’ve got to say that the (current) 62% survey response that they never do it because it’s so dangerous is probably a bunch of crap. I see dozens of drivers every week texting or typing while driving. It’s unbelievable to me how many people I see staring at a phone typing while driving past them. Even chatting with a cell phone to your ear makes you a terrible driver. If I don’t have my bluetooth I don’t use the phone in the car.

5. KevinBlah says:

I avoid texting or Facebooking or whatever while driving by leaving my phone in my pocket, where I can’t use it.

6. CzarChasm says:

I won’t say I have never done it, but I will say that it’s extremely rare for me to mess with anything other than my radio or GPS while driving. While even those can be dangerous, I can’t resist the temptation.

7. EducationalGeek says:

One of the dumbest things you can do and I see people either Facebooking or Texting all the time. It only takes once…….just ask the 17yr old girl who plowed her car into a tree and a brick wall a couple of weeks ago because of this…..oh wait, you can’t ask her……she’s dead.

8. JasperBeardly says:

Texting/browsing while driving is one of the most selfish things a person can do. By doing it, you’re saying that your text conversation or Facebook update is more important than the lives and well-being of everyone else on the road (or anywhere near the road).

I see it happening more and more, and it’s not just the kids. I used to feel that I could trust other drivers to have a sufficient sense of self-preservation that they wouldn’t cross the center line and take me out. Now I simply can’t feel that way. As a result, I don’t much enjoy driving any more.

I will NEVER text while driving. Hell, I don’t even talk on my phone while driving. Even that seems like too much of a distraction, and after trying it a couple of times a few years ago, I had to stop. Haven’t done it since.