Woman Takes It Upon Herself To Hand Out Letters To “Obese” Trick-Or-Treaters

There is no greater slight in a child’s eyes on Halloween than when mean adults ruin it by refusing to hand out candy. But while sure, kids can deal with houses where they’re handing out dental floss or healthy snacks, here and there, children will probably want to avoid the home of the woman handing out letters to Trick-or-Treaters she deems “moderately obese.”

The home where the opposite of fun lives is in North Dakota, and was revealed in a radio interview where a local woman said she was taking control of childhood obesity.

“I just want to send a message to the parents of kids that are really overweight…” she told Y94 morning radio, via ValleyNewsLive.com. “I think it’s just really irresponsible of parents to send them out looking for free candy just ’cause all the other kids are doing it.”

“I’m contributing to their health problems and really, their kids are everybody’s kids. It’s a whole village,” she adds.

While it’s understandable that someone might be concerned with the health of children, is it really the job of a stranger to punish/surprise kids who are expecting a treat, as tradition might suggest, and instead get a letter saying there’s something wrong with them?

“It’s just that kind of thing that for some kids, if they’re vulnerable, might trigger major problems,” chimes in a professor of psychology who studies eating disorders in children.

If you don’t want to give kids candy, that’s fine. But any lecture or discussion of their personal wellbeing? Probably best to leave that to the parents. So keep your lights off or don’t answer the door, but keep your opinions on child-rearing to yourself.

Woman Handing Out Letters, Not Halloween Candy [ValleyNewsLive.com]

Read Comments11

1. nandre says:

She chose ‘trick’ then I take it.

2. MarcZ says:

Not that I’d condone such an action, but doing this when I was a kid would easily warrant a late-night egging/toilet-papering/flaming bag of poop.

3. jolla says:

While I wouldn’t do it, she has a point.

• dan2112 says:

She does have a point, but why not hand out some sugar free candy or something like that.. Surgar free candy may sometimes suck, but it beats getting a backlash of eggs, flaming bags of poo (ah, the good ol’ days) or the parents of said children beating down her door.

• jolla says:

That is a good idea.

I’m also not sure why she’s announcing this ahead of time?

• ChongoShaun says:

If I were to do this (and I never would) I would have a few nerf items to give away to encourage activity… but never a letter like this. What if the kid read it?

4. Mapache says:

Better solution, don’t give out candy.

5. DustinDopps says:

Someone should hand her a similar note:

“You are probably wondering why you are receiving this note. Apparently you didn’t learn manners when you were a kid, and I feel it is my duty to step in and teach you how to behave when interacting with strangers – especially when said strangers are children.

Handing out letters shaming fat kids is a sure-fire way to NOT change their behavior. Instead, you most likely drove them to an eating binge of epic proportions with your cruel words. Instead of commenting on their size, why not just hand out healthier treats? Maybe some sugar free licorice or gum. Or perhaps give each kid a quarter or something.

In any case, I bite my thumb at you, meany-pants.”

6. radioone says:

While the woman’s intentions are good, the world does not need another know it all.

If she just wants to hand out candy, great.
    If she’s concerned about some of the kids’ health, give out pre-packaged healthy snacks.

But don’t not do both… Don’t address a problem and then contribute to it. It would be just as easy not to give out anything and avoid the whole situation.

7. fakevegan says:

Every village has their idiot. She just volunteered.

8. KDoggMDF3 says:

That’s messed up… I get her intentions but come on… its a child and it’s Trick or Treat.. like someone else said… sugar-free candy would have been a better alternative.