Lawsuit Blames Teen’s Death On His Two-Can-A-Day Monster Beverage Habit

The mother of a 19-year-old who drank two cans of Monster Beverage a day for three years filed a lawsuit this week blaming the company for his death. She alleges that his habitual consumption of the drink caused him to go into cardiac arrest last summer and die.

According to the Associated Press, the young man died from cardiac arrhythmia. His mother filed the lawsuit yesterday in Alameda County Superior Court in California, alleging that he wouldnt’ve have died if it weren’t for his daily Monster habit. He’d had two cans on the day he died, as well.

This comes on the heels of a lawsuit by a Maryland family who also sued Monster for the death of their 14-year-old, after she drank two 24-ounce cans of Monster and died.

 

“Our allegations in the lawsuits are the same and that’s the peoples deaths were caused by these energy drinks and more specifically the defendants failure to warn about the dangers,” said an attorney representing the plaintiffs in both cases.

Monster claimed in the girl’s case that because no blood tests was performed to confirm that she’d died of “caffeine toxicity,” the company wasn’t to blame. Instead, Monster says she died of natural causes brought on by pre-existing conditions.

Previously: Study: 20,000 Trips To The Emergency Room Linked To Consumption Of Energy Drinks; FDA Incident Reports Link Monster Energy Drink To Five Deaths

Mom Sues Monster Beverage In East Bay Court Over Son’s Death [Associated Press]