A woman in Indiana says she found one such amphibian hanging around inside a can of green beans she’d purchased at her local Meijer store.
“I cooked them in the microwave with butter and salt and pepper, put them on the table and my son put some on his dish and said ‘What is this?’ I looked and put it in my hand and said ‘Oh my God, it’s a little frog,’” she tells WWJ Newsradio 950. “Needless to say, everybody dumped theirs out and I was nauseated for three days. I still can’t eat green beans.”
Though the story makes no mention of the frog’s condition at the time of discovery, we’re guessing that — unlike the frog in the bag salad — this one didn’t survive the canning process and certainly not the subsequent microwaving.
“I’m sure it’s like cans on the line, you know. Maybe a frog jumped in,” says the woman, who turned the frogged-up green beans over to the health department. “I don’t know why it would be in there in the first place, but anyway, then the green beans went in the cans through the line, I’m sure.”
Meijer says it’s looking into the matter. The actual canning company that provided the product to the store has apologized and sent her $50 as a way of saying “oops.” She also received a refund on the cans of green beans she’d purchased but had not yet opened.