Best Of Comments: Confusion, Chaos, Comcast

dangermike: I can’t be the only here who uses [surveys given by retailers] to spread just a enough chaos and misinformation to feel good about myself when I lay down my head at night.

Most recent example, one of my favorite online shooting supply stores offers entry into a daily drawing for a $25 gift certificate for filling out their survey. But the survey is through a third party that seems rather clueless in their application of pre-written questions. Like for instance, they ask what sort of items you’ve ordered and have about 20 check boxes of categories, the closest of which might be sporting goods.

So naturally, my order of a bulk quantity of bore solvent and patches went under beauty/hygiene. Because I know the smell of Hoppe’s #9 on a man is absolutely irresistible to the fairer sex.

And in the open comments, I might ask if their CEO (who has a prolific amateur gunsmithing how-to channel on the U-tubes) would like to be my honorary grandfather, since both of mine passed away when I was too young to really benefit from having known them.

I still haven’t won any certificates, though.

Keep your eye on what’s really important, dangermike.

When some commenters said that the Comcast employee/Redditor whose job is draining his soul should quit, others countered that it’s not that simple, even when there isn’t a recession.

Anubis: I’ve never understood this attitude. Yeah, he could quit to work somewhere else, but he’d probably be making less money with the same problems. I work retail where I’m treated poorly and have no chance to move up. Employees are given contradictory orders like take care of the customer, but do everything you can to make the customer pay out the nose while receiving as little as possible in return. It is soul crushing in many ways.

I plan to go back to school and eventually quit, but not everybody has that option. If I just quit, I’d have the same problems regardless of where I tried to work. Based on what people report here and what my friends say, most companies now are doing everything they can to add responsibility to jobs, fire people, and damage morale all in the name of cutting costs. If every place is the same, how is quitting going to help?

Seen an especially funny, insightful, or useful comment? Nominate it for Comment of the Day by sending it to laura@consumerist.com by e-mail or Google Chat.

Please enjoy your time here at Consumerist, and comment responsibly. You can find our recently updated Comments Code right here.

Comments

1. Coffee says:

I’m really liking your COTD threads, Laura…they feel like a little “bonus” at the end of the day. Keep up the good work :D

2. Not Given says:

Larry Potterfield, my husband seems to watching him on tv nearly every day.

3. triana says:

High five, Anubis. Well said, and you are correct on all counts. As a retail manager, I can assure you that there’s really no difference between retailers. They will all stomp on you, crush your soul, and make you contemplate either suicide or a mass shooting. I switch jobs every few years, but my disappointment in my new job always sets in quickly.

• MaxH42 needs an edit button says:

I believe the term is “blaming the victim”. You should know better than to go out at night, it’s your fault you got mugged. And if you don’t like your job, you shouldn’t be working there.

• triana says:

In some industries, it’s all the same. And in this job market, there’s not a lot of risk taking on the part of hiring managers to give someone a chance in a brand new industry. It’s really frustrating to be told that if you hate your job, you should just quit. It’s not nearly that simple.

• MaxH42 needs an edit button says:

Sorry if it wasn’t clear, I was lampooning the idiocy of blaming the victim. The responsibility for bad behavior rests on the person behaving badly. Sure, there are sometimes things you could do to avoid the bad behavior, and it might behoove you to do so, but that doesn’t excuse the bad behavior at all or make it your responsibility.

4. Snoe says:

Sadly, some of the students I tutor tell me they (or, more typically, their classmates) take the same attitude toward state-mandated standardized tests, if they know that the results are anonymous.

Kant’s categorical imperative is a good counter argument to this type of fun. That said, I can’t fault anyone for having some fun with what is recognizably a ridiculous form of consumer research.

(Just remember to rate the person who helped you, if there is one, as high as possible, unless they deserve to get dinged. 4/5 is the same as 1/5 on a lot of these surveys, and it’s not cool to mess with people who are doing their jobs reasonably well.)

5. RvLeshrac says:

Consumerist has been hacked again. Spread the word. There’s an iframe (four!) in the background directing traffic to a Taiwanese redirect/affiliate farm.