Family Sues Cemetery Because It Shouldn't Be A Mystery Where Your Loved One Is Buried

A Texas widow already had to deal with saying goodbye to her beloved husband of 56 years and now? She doesn’t even have the comfort of knowing where exactly his final resting place is. She’s suing the cemetery that buried him in order to get confirmation of his location, because at first the cemetery told the family they’d have to pay up if they wanted that information.

It all started on the day of the funeral in November 2010, when the family suspected that something was amiss during the burial at the plot the family had purchased, reports CBS Dallas-Fort Worth. The grave seemed to be in the wrong place, but the family says their concerns were brushed off by the cemetery. When the  tombstone went up, it was in another spot with smooth earth, and not where they saw him buried.

“I don’t know who’s there,” said the widow of where her husband’s grave is marked. “I don’t know where he’s at. He’s somewhere along in there; but, where, I don’t know.”

The family’s lawyer says the cemetery at first asked for $1,500 in order to determine whether or not the man was in the plot they’d bought. She doesn’t think they should have to pay for what wasn’t their mistake in the first place.

“I believe it should not happen at the family’s expense, especially when they told them on the day of the funeral that they suspected that this was the wrong spot,” said the attorney.

This has been going on too long for the family, which is why they’re suing now to get answers.

“I want to know where he’s at, because something could happen to me and I want to know before I go that he’ll be in the right place, when I go,” said the widow. “I want to know where he’s at, so I can rest in peace.”

Widow Sues Over Husband’s Grave [CBS Dallas-Fort Worth]

Comments

1. Chmeeee says:

I guess this is one case where you really do need a shovel to dig yourself out of this mess.

2. Sarek says:

Who runs this place? The guy that used to run Arlington?

• SpeakR40Dead says:

Nah, I am thinking a washed up used-car salesman who believes that it doesn’t matter what plot of earth someone bought as long as it IS a plot of earth. He probably thinks that people are emotionally inept or feeble minded for worrying over such trivial things. He probably also thinks that if people DO have a problem with it they should just turn to their beliefs for comfort.

If I bought a plot of land for my house I would hope that 1) I bought the correct piece of land and 2) The builders build the house on correct property.

3. kaptainkk says:

Does it really make a difference to know where the exact location is? It never ceases to amaze me how feeble minds and emotionally inept people (the masses) need to know this information in order go on with their lives. Just keep fooling yourself by thinking “he’s in a better place now” and you will find the comfort you need.

• sqlrob says:

She wants what she paid for. That’s all it really boils down to.

• SpeakR40Dead says:

I think it is more than that. She want’s to know WHAT plot she bought (or where in this case) as well as WHO is buried in that plot.

I can also assume that she also wants future patrons not to have to deal with these shenanigans either.

(This article pushes me to get cremated when I die and have my ashes spread across the globe. It will be cheaper and force family and friends to get off their butts and see the world.)

• MrMongerty says:

Or, you know, they paid thousands of dollars for a plot and would like to actually know where his remains are.

Have you never gone to a cemetary and seen where relatives are buried? I don’t believe in the afterlife, but it would still be nice to have a proper marker and to actually KNOW where he is buried.

• VintageLydia says:

Different people grieve and find closure differently. Don’t be an ass.

• AzCatz07 says:

Seconded. No matter what your beliefs are, they paid for a plot and should be able to know for sure where their loved one is buried.

While I agree with you about the silliness of burying the dead and visiting gravesites, it’s really not for us to tell other people how they should grieve.

• msbaskx2 says:

Thirded.

I think wakes are bizarre, funerals are bizarre, spending $10k on a box to bury someone in is bizarre, cemeteries are bizarre, visting tombstones at a cemetary is bizarre… BUT… that doesn’t mean this woman isn’t entitled to know where her husband’s body is buried.

• crispyduck13 says:

What’s your point? Regardless of how you choose to grieve, the very fact that they tried to extort additional money out of the family has to be illegal, or in any case a violation of their contract, and should be investigated by the state’s AG.

Take it from someone who has buried someone: you don’t have to pay extra to know where they put the casket.

• ninabi says:

It makes a difference to the surviving spouse. She paid for a product- a specific space to put her husband- and she should get it.

Funerals are for the benefit of the living and in extension, so is the burial plot where people can stop and pay respects. If it matters deeply to someone, she should know where her husband is buried.

As a side note into the realm of unlikely, what if they needed to exhume the body? There needs to be a system and records in place.

• RayanneGraff says:

Wow, really? You are an unbelievable ass. So a person is “emotionally inept” and “feeble” because they’d like to be able to visit their loved one’s grave to pay their respects & remember them? Jeez, with an attitude like yours I doubt anyone will care where you’re buried.

• ReverendLoki says:

It never ceases to amaze me how arrogant minds and socially inept people (guess) need to feel that they are above the masses in order to go on with their lives. Just keep fooling yourself by thinking “I’m right, and I don’t need to consider that others may not share my nihilistic views on death”, and you will continue to be an a-hole.

• ckspores says:

First of all, this comment makes you an a$$hole. Yes, for us emotionally inept and feeble-minded people that have lost important people in our lives, this is important.

But, they paid for a specific plot in a specific location. Regardless of their views, religious or otherwise, on mourning the dead, they deserve what they paid for.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Clearly this is a fat troll, because you have all fed him well.

• JAlfaro87 says:

Your asinine comments really represent how feeble your mind is by your attempt to represent some sort of belief that was not expressed by the OP.
      Her sentiments were, “I want to know where he’s at, because something could happen to me and I want to know before I go that he’ll be in the right place, when I go,”. Nothing about a “better place” as you tried to base your ridiculous comment off of.
      I’ve met better atheist in lower places, sir.

Leave real atheism to people who make sense. Your babbling makes you no different than the zealots you mock.

• Nobody Owes You says:

K(aptain)KK… I thought you guys believed in God. Or at least, your tainted version so that you can crap all over everyone else who doesn’t believe as you do. Or have the same simple minds.

• Kestris says:

Maybe she’s supposed to be buried next to him. Maybe the remaining family would prefer to know, for certain, that their parents are in the plots they paid for, that those headstones, which are not cheap, are definitely where their parents are buried and so future generations can visit the proper place and not have to wonder if that’s where their ancestor really is.

• Bsamm09 says:

So that’s the rationalization you came up with to come to grips with your necrophilia.

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

Gawd people, please don’t feed the troll (unless its with some Waggin’ Train).

• George says:

Wow, you’re so cool. Can we hang out? Hey, tell me how your lack of emotion means that people who have emotion and want some closure makes them weak. Bet that talk really turns the chicks on, amiright?

4. redskull says:

Man, I hate it when the Doctor incorporates question marks into his clothing. So far the new series has managed to avoid this.

5. longfeltwant says:

This is sad because the living are consoled by a place to grieve.

That said, “he” isn’t anywhere. “He” isn’t in the place where you stood at the funeral and “he” isn’t underneath the erected tombstone.

“He” doesn’t exist. “He” was the ongoing functioning of a small part of a brain. The functioning is stopped, and “he” is gone along with it. “He” exists only in the past. You can’t find “him” by finding the body which holds the brain, part of which used to host some activity which was “him”.

This won’t make the grieving feel any better, though. They still deserve a location, which they paid for, which will elicit the needed catharsis. I hope they find it and I hope the funeral home apologizes.

6. wynterbourne says:

I lost my wife back in April to cancer. She chose cremation, and so far I have yet to inter her remains anywhere. One day I will so her mother, sister, and other family can visit her.

I can’t imagine what this woman is going through. There have been times when the only thing that’s kept me from doing something stupid is the fact that I am able to spend time with her remains. It may be morbid, it may sound stupid, but just being in her presence has quite literally kept me alive.

If she’d been lain to rest somewhere, and that location was hidden from me, I don’t know that I would have been able to contain the act of violence I would’ve felt the need to perform.

This should be criminal. This is preying on a person’s grief. Extorting money by exploiting a loving spouse. It’s wrong, just wrong.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

*hug* Sorry for your loss. I agree. The funeral industry unfortunately has a lot of scammers and charlatans, because it’s easy to mess with people when they are upset. It’s absolutely awful.

• Draw2much says:

This. So much this! ^^^

What this cemetery did was horrible and I hope the family wins!

7. herblock says:

Once I got a ticket at a double meter, that because of a tree planter box wasn’t evenly between the cars. I was parked on the north meter and the ticket was written on my car but for the south meter. I waited for the next meter maid and showed he the error. (Fortunately I was parked outside a brewpub). Took a couple of calls and a couple of letters so win. Soon they moved the meter to be center of the two spots.
    I wouldn’t have wasted my time, but this town is a pain on parking. One ticket they raised the fine as I didn’t pay within 24 hours. However I sent the payment on the same day, certified mail. Wasn’t my fault they waited 8 days to pick up the letter.
    I once wrote a letter to the local paper stating for the money I spend there I should get a free parking pass.

8. dave says:

On the e mail I received it states benefits going away soy and syrup. It did not refer to the rewards drink. I used to get a skinny latte and received 50 cents off on the latte. It only means that I will be drinking less lattes at starbucks

9. dave says:

10. Kestris says:

That cemetery is definitely shady. I do Find A Grave every other weekend and have never, ever had to pay to find out the location of a gravesite for a photo of the stone for people who request it.

11. K says:

Is it bad that the only think I can think of is that I know what that pattern is from? :)

12. benminer says:

My opinion is that the entire practice of burial is a waste of time, money, and land. One should not require a rotting corpse in the ground to grieve, remember, and celebrate a loved one.