Apparently We're All Very Impressed With iPhone 5: Apple Stock Tops $700 For The First Time Ever

Although we’ve heard plenty of so-so and “meh” feedback for the iPhone 5, we’ve also seen a whole lot of people scrambling to order Apple’s newest shiny gadget. And it seems we as consumers in general are pretty darn impressed by the thing, as Apple’s stock went over $700 for the very first time ever, to $701.44 this morning. So they’ve got to be doing something right, eh?

Stock was already rising in the weeks leading up to the big iPhone 5 reveal, and Apple wasn’t disappointed in the interest it frothed up: There were two million pre-orders for the phone just in the first 24 hours, which is twice the amount last year for the iPhone 4S, reports CNNMoney.

There’s more coming down the pipeline that Apple hopes will continue to impress consumers and make investors happy, including another iPad and rumored gadgets like the iPad mini and a new iteration of Apple TV. So far this year, Apple stock has risen 80%. That’s a lot of wowed people.

The only worry for investors is that stock is going up too fast, and could become overvalued. After the frenzy dies down, the company will still be there and it remains to be seen how long it can coast on its newest gizmos. Remember that whole antenna snafu? The tide could still turn.

Rising stock or no, there will be plenty of “I waited in line for the new iPhone 5 and [insert either horrible experience anecdote or how it’s totally worth it]” in the near future.

Apple stock tops $700 [CNNMoney]

Comments

1. Bsamm09 says:

I could kick myself for not picking up a couple round lots about 5 years ago.

2. deathbecomesme says:

It goes up every time they announce something new because even people who don’t buy apple products know that there are people out there will line up to buy it no matter what.

• BrownLeopard says:

Yay for sheeple!

• Portlandia says:

Not an apple story can appear without the Fandroids or Hatebois coming out to tell us how jealous they are of apple products. You love to tell us how apple’s “specs” are lower than your Fandroid device. Here’s a little news flash, sheepishly following specs is just as stupid. You can’t compare specs across operating systems, it doesn’t work. Android is a mess and resource hog which is why it needs those “specs” and it still runs slower. Your Fandroid could have a 16 core processor with 18 gigs of ram and it would still run slower than the iPhone 5. Oh didn’t you read, the iPhone has been clocked loading pages and apps and camera at about 1.5x faster than Samsung’s top of the line Galaxy.

But of course you’re right, anyone who likes a wildly successful and easy to use well designed product is a sheep.

• MrMongerty says:

Man, do you keep that canned speech ready for anytime there is a slight against an Apple product?

You make more assumptions about BrownLeopard than I think any one paragraph should contain.

• Portlandia says:

Oh sorry, I guess the only people that are allowed to hate in this forum are Fandroids.

If you didn’t notice the bit of editorialism in Mary Beth’s title, or most of her Apple related titles, or most of the the comments on consumerist.com they love to flame on Apple. No more than the canned anti-apple rhettoric you get on every post on consumerist but I guess hearing the other side of the argument is too much for you.

And yes, when you decide to be disparaging to an entire group of people and lets get this straight, calling them sheep is disparaging, just because they happen to like a successful product makes you worse. Fandroids are like the hipsters of the mobile handset world. “I’m too cool for an iPhone it’s way too popular for me. I like to hack my instagram so when I take pictures of my soy lattes I can use my root tools and post directly to my own social network”

• MutantMonkey says:

I think you are misunderstanding where the term is coming from, and the latest release is probably the best example. If people blindly purchase iterations of an item where little to nothing has changed, they earn their given title. Personally I am not a fan of the term “sheeple”, I prefer zombie.

• Portlandia says:

Right, little or nothing has changed on the iPhone 5.

So, increasing screen size. Double the RAM. Improved Chipset. Smaller Dock. Thinner design, New glass design which means less glare. True LTE networks support with zero battery life reduction from previous model. New aluminium back. This is all aside from the host of other changes added and iOS 6 which will have some features only supported on the iPhone 5 but of course, nothing has changed. So why would I want this new phone.

• wombats lives in [redacted] says:

I’m sorry everyone. The gate was left open and well, he escaped. Now get back into the pen Portlandia.

• MutantMonkey says:

Some thick irony going on here.

• wombats lives in [redacted] says:

I didn’t see him arguing specs with you but you are wrong. http://www.extremetech.com/computing/136291-iphone-5-benchmarks-slower-than-the-galaxy-s3-faster-than-the-nexus-7

I do think you need a hug though and I wish your mother well after that near fatal android attack with the lasers and shit.

• Portlandia says:

If you go back and read what I said, I said it loads apps and web faster than an Android. Your specs on “clock time” are worthless as I pointed out in my initial post. If you have bloated OS it’s going to take you longer even with a faster processor. Perhaps you were too busy being insulting to really read my post.

• regis-s says:

I feel the same whenever I see someone use the word “sheeple”.

• BrownLeopard says:

I call anybody sheeple that is an automatic “OMG IT’S NEW MUST GET!”. Android, Apple, Windows Phone, etc. If you have to have the newest gadget just for the hard-on factor of others, I pity your life. I enjoy my Boost Mobile Kyocera Hydro and won’t go to a larger phone, Apple product (don’t even get me started there with all of the bullshit lawsuits) or bigger carrier. I pay $40 a month for unlimited data/voice/text and I’m happy that way. kthx.

• AzCatz07 says:

I’m always surprised (although not sure why it still surprises me) that people will upgrade a phone that works just fine in order to have the newest, shiniest thing. I like gadgets as much as the next person, but that seems like such a waste of money.

• Applekid says:

I use my phone until it doesn’t do what I want, whether that’s because it starts to fail or because I want to do something new that it could never do. I drive my car into the ground, and you betta believe I get every pea-sized nugget of toothpaste out of the tube.

I don’t need my gadgets and toys to tell people I’m cool. my mom assures me I am anyway

• axolotl says:

The differences between the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 are so subtle, I don’t understand how anyone who isn’t wealthy can justify several hundreds of dollars to upgrade to a phone that is slightly faster, slightly bigger, slightly longer battery life, etc.. You’re not going to notice the difference!

3. ChuckECheese says:

Apple’s stock is $700 because we have nothing else to believe in.

4. oatmealpacket says:

The real measure of a company’s success isn’t stock, it’s the level of self-satisfaction evident when people smugpost about how they don’t buy or use that company’s products.

By that metric, Apple is the greatest company to have ever existed. Facebook is a close runner up.

• Portlandia says:

I agree, diehard fanbois can be annoying but I will take a room full of them over the Fandroids and Hatebois any day.

• deathbecomesme says:

I’m sorry. I stopped listening/reading ass soon as I read “fanbois”. You probably typed this while yelling “YOLO” too

• Portlandia says:

Right, and saying fanboi is an eyeroller to you but apparently lol is still cool. You sure you weren’t ROFL?

• deathbecomesme says:

No, I really was laughing out loud when I read your statement. It’s crazy to think that you hate android users for the exact same reason they hate you. Because you both follow a brand blindly.

Typing “lol” is still pretty much accepted. But misspelling words on purpose because it seems cool isn’t.

• Portlandia says:

See, this is where you have me wrong. I don’t hate android users. I think if you love your phone or any electronic device and it works for you, perfect, enjoy. However, I was trying to point out that people that mindlessly bash iPhone/apple users as sheeple are just as infantile as those who they’re trying to bash.

• Portlandia says:

As you said, the irony is thick in this one.

• Mark702 says:

Haha, good one.

5. backbroken says:

“The only worry for investors is that stock…could become overvalued.”

I never though of that.

6. RanChan03 says:

Last i checked Google is $714 a share

7. RogerX says:

Came for the flamewar, was not disappointed. *Munches popcorn*

/Apple user since 1985, rarely disappointed

8. Press1forDialTone says:

Apple lovers = Suckers.

9. Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

You mean, this post?

“… Oh didn’t you read, the iPhone has been clocked loading pages and apps and camera at about 1.5x faster than Samsung’s top of the line Galaxy.”

Funny — I distinctly recall you just saying that clocking “specs” are worthless?

I wanted to step back and watch the fun, but if you are going to argue that the iPhone is the best thing God has given on earth, fine, but please be consistent.

Fact is, there ARE going to be “iSheep” and “Fandroids” in this world that are going to blindly argue about which is better without looking closely at each product — I know people who go “hey this Android has clearly 20 more features than the iPhone — but I’ll still buy the iPhone just because it’s cool”, and those who you termed, “mobile handset hipsters who buy an Android just because I’m too cool for an iPhone”. Likewise, there are also users who actually do some research and pick the product that works for what they need. Which would you rather be?

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

This was meant for Portlandia’s comments of thick irony [above].

My comment wandered off like sheep…