Best Of Comments: Money To Burn And Oblivion Guy

SirWired: Any home cook who uses anything other than a standard porcelain-topped range (or cooktop) is a poseur. Restaurant kitchens use stainless steel appliances because their stuff gets scrubbed down several times a day with a ScotchBrite and Comet. Unless you seriously do that in your kitchen, Stainless Steel is just extra expense, in addition to being a real pain to keep clean.

And the mega-BTU burners they use? They don’t make the food taste any better; they just cook it faster. And, unless you are an experienced line cook, your food will probably turn out WORSE if you use it at high settings, because you probably can’t work fast enough to keep up with that kind of heat. (Not to mention that far more recipes need a quality simmer vs. a high-powered blast of flame…)

(Really the ideal heat source for foodies is magnetic induction; safe, even heating, doesn’t heat the kitchen as much, and is easy to clean. Gas is second, electric coils third, standard smoothtop last.)

msbaskx2: I have 5 brothers and sisters. We all had paper routes as kids, often passing them down from one kid to the next when the older kids were able to get ‘real’ jobs.

In those days, you went and picked up the Sunday paper “innards” from your distributor, then the actual Sunday newspaper (the part with the news!) was delivered to your home really early Sunday morning. We’d put the paper together, and off we’d go to deliver them before sunrise.

One Sunday morning, we had a house fire. Started in the basement, worked it’s way up. Whole house totalled including the Sunday newspapers that were in the house, waiting for the main section to be delivered.

While there was still smoke pouring from the house, while the fire trucks were everywhere, while my whole family was standing in the street watching our house burn in various states of undress, my brother’s distributor came to the house with the main section and asked where he should drop them off. My mother explained to him that our house was on fire and the last thing she cared about was the newspaper delivery. So he asked her if she wanted him to drop them off at another house. She said, sure, drop them next door and the idiot distributor actually did leave the entire stack on our neighbor’s front porch.

I don’t recall if we ever got a complaint from the people who didn’t get their papers, but we still laugh about Oblivion Guy™ to this day.

Seen an especially funny, insightful, or useful comment? Nominate it for Comment of the Day by sending it to laura@consumerist.com by e-mail or Google Chat.

Please enjoy your time here at Consumerist, and comment responsibly. You can find our recently updated Comments Code right here.

Comments

1. shepd says:

Super duper high heat *is* best for cooking steaks, though. Not much else, but steaks for sure benefit from it.

• Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

Have you ever made a large stir fry for dinner for 4 people? Super high heat keeps it from becoming a stir steam.

Ever tried to make a quick spaghetti dinner with a salad and you are done making the salad before the 4 quarts of water have even reached a boil?

How about a cook out where you need a large pot of water to cook 8-10 ears of corn.

If you don’t think you can benefit from one or two high btu burners, think again.

• shepd says:

Oh, for boiling water, it would be faster, although it doesn’t make the food taste better, just faster. :)

However, I never did consider the stirfry aspect. I shall have to try that!

2. Boiled for your sins says:

My stepson has ruined a number of my no-stick pans using way-too-high heat… grrrr!

3. MuleHeadJoe says:

This comment is not about the COD, but about commenting on Consumerist … I just read the ‘recently updated Comments Code’ (link above) and LAUGHED my butt off!!!!! I have NEVER read a comment policy which states “keep cursing to a minimum” … and the notion of “disenvoweling” is abso-freakin-lutely AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

4. Cerne says:

Anybody who thinks magnetic induction is the best heat source is totally full of it.

5. Not Given says:

I’m wishing I had stainless. the finish is chipped on my 30+ year old range.

6. Southern says:

I’ve got a set of high quality stainless (All-Clad, 18/10), but when it comes down to it I still prefer my 25+ year old set of Lodge cast iron. And it’s MUCH more difficult to clean than the stainless. :)

• Bunnies Attack! says:

I thought you weren’t really supposed to clean cast iron? Anyone know? Isn’t the idea that the old cooking creates a nonstick patina to the cast iron that makes it superior to newer stuff once its been properly conditioned?

• Thnaggle Tooph says:

I still use my grandmothers cast iron frying pans. Never use soap. Use the hottest water you can stand and scrub with a plain stainless steel scrubber. I use Scotch Brite. Don’t use Brillo or one with a cleansing product on it. After it’s scrubbed clean put it back on the burner to dry. I’ve only used a gas or propane stove so I have no advice for a flat top range. I imagine an electric coil would dry the pan as well though. My grandma used this method as did my mother and so do I. I’m sure my daughter will follow suit.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I use enameled cast iron, which doesn’t require seasoning. So you do clean that.

• Southern says:

As far as cleaning, you wouldn’t use steel wool or anything, but it still has to be washed AND DRIED after you cook with it – cast iron WILL rust very quickly if not dried
        thoroughly. Usually this means putting it back on the stove over low heat for a couple of minutes to warm the pan and steam off any remaining moisture.

Then, every so often you have to reseason the pan with a tablespoon of oil (I use olive oil) and then baked in an oven @ 325 degrees for about an hour.

Caring for cast iron is a job in and of itself, but it’s worth it (IMO).

Unlike stainless, where you just scrub the heck out of it, towel dry, and throw it back in a cabinet. :)

7. Marlin says:

“Any home cook who uses anything other than a standard porcelain-topped range (or cooktop) is a poseur.”

I am guessing the person that said this also drives the cheapest car sub $1000, lives in the smallest of places(3small rooms at the most), only eats protein and vitamin bars because anything else is waste, etc… because they are not a “poseur”… right?

Who has 2 thumbs and is Married to a clean queen who scrubs our stainless appliances everyday… This guy.

• cantiloon says:

Yeah, I guess if anyone who likes things that look nice is a “poseur” then I’m guilty as charged.

• woot says:

There’s no hope for people like us. I suppose, like me, you do other “poseur” things as well – such as decorating your house instead of living with perfectly functional unfinished drywall.

We have obviously degenerated into liking nice things that give us pleasure. We are bad people :-)