Cat's Plan To Rid The World Of Mickey Mouse Leads Him To Stow Away In Suitcase For 10 Hours

If the rest of my family was taking off for a vacation to Disney World and I wasn’t allowed to go, I’d be terribly put out. But I am not a cat, and so unlike one Bob-bob of Ohio, I can’t climb inside my owner’s suitcase and show up in Florida anyway. Bob-bob’s recent journey took 10 hours, at the end of which his owner was a bit surprised to see him pop out of the luggage.

The Ohio woman was busy making final preparations for the trip she was leading for a group of 18 disabled veterans — confirming flight and hotel reservations and making sure someone would be there to take care of her six pets while she was away.

But apparently Bob-bob had other ideas about this whole “leave the pets at home” situation, reports the Orlando Sentinel. Perhaps now was the time to finally strike at that giant pest, Mickey, eh?

Right before the group left, the man in charge of handling all their bags thought he saw something move but figured it the long night of packing was just messing with his vision and put it with the rest of the baggage.

“This was the last bag I grabbed,” he said of the green suitcase. “… [S]omehow it got zipped up.”

Cut to 10 hours later as the group is relaxing at the hotel near Disney. The green suitcase is unzipped and hey, there’s Bob-bob! The little guy was a bit wobbly from his journey but purring nonetheless.

The group flew through Port Columbus International Airport and somehow the kitty’s presence wasn’t detected by the Transportation Security Administration. They’re on the watch for danger but not felines, it would seem.

“Our machines are very sensitive to picking up explosives and other threats to aviation,” said a TSA spokeswoman.

But stowaway cats? They get a free ride to the Happiest Place on Earth. Watch your back, Mickey.

*Note: Pictured cat is not Bob-bob. Sorry.

Purr-fect stowaway: Bob-bob arrives at Disney after 10 hours in suitcase [Orlando Sentinel]

Comments

1. nodaybuttoday says:

Lesson: Avoid the fees of taking your pet on a plane and just pack it in your luggage.

• euph_22 says:

Sure, if you don’t mind work, irradiating your pet with the high dose xray machines they use on checked luggage (that apparently don’t since they missed the cat).

2. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Bob-bob (why not Bob-Bob?) is adorable. I bet whatever airline she flew will make her pay for the cat’s return flight, though. You know, cause I don’t think the suitcase is going to be feasible.

3. CrazyEyed says:

I’m totally sewing drugs and other paraphernalia in my cat next time.

4. RobotEmbryo says:

This would have been a better featured image: http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2009/3/22/128822286352936358.jpg

5. NickRayko says:

“They’re on the watch for danger but not felines, it would seem.”

Well, duh. Cats are keeping us safer. Plus, black cats don’t show up on x-rays. It’s related to cats’ ability to see in the dark – CAT SCIENCE!

And Bob-bob is one handsome fella: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-photo-cat-survives-suitcase.jpg-20120912,0,5773898.photo

6. dicobalt says:

Feed him to Alf.

7. packy says:

I’m just happy Bob-Bob didn’t freeze or suffocate in the cargo hold of the plane!

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Must not have been a Delta flight.

• Santas Little Helper says:

Cargo compartments are temperature controlled and pressure regulated the same as the cabin.

• pamelad says:

True, cargo compartments are temp and pressure controlled, but those controls are more likely to malfunction in cargo than in the passenger cabin. Also, U.S. airlines typically won’t accept pets in cargo if the weather forecast falls below 45 degrees F or above 85 degrees F (or at least they didn’t a couple of years ago). And keep in mind that some areas of the terminal have little temp regulation. I wouldn’t fly one of my pets as cargo unless there were absolutely no alternative.

8. Nicolaus99 says:

Probably still safer than transporting kitty in a carrier the “normal” way.

9. Oh_No84 says:

TSA is no match for a cat.
    The cat was simply smarter.

10. icerabbit says:

Poor Bob-Bob … imagine being stuffed in a suitcase and going on an airplane trip.

Hope it didn’t use up one or more of its lives to survive radiation, luggage abuse, …

11. flychinook says:

“somehow the kitty’s presence wasn’t detected by the Transportation Security Administration”

Hard to believe, isn’t it…

12. PeriMedic says:

As a serial owner of 3 male black cats, this does not surprise me one bit. They are born for mischief.

13. humphrmi says:

Obligatory…

14. SirWired says:

My cat is nuts about suitcases as well. Any vaguely suitcase, backpack, etc.-shaped object becomes a cat bed.

Unless, of course, it is an actual cat bed, in which case it is utterly ignored.

15. july18 says:

what a terrible irresponsbile person – you’re leaving for a vacation and don’t care where the cat is … ?

16. triana says:

I don’t know if I’m more disturbed that the TSA missed a live animal in a suitcase, or that it’s owner did. It’s a cute story because of the happy ending, but come on. Shame on both of them.

• triana says:

*its

• MajorGroove says:

I’m guessing you don’t own a cat. Cats are sneaky, they are FAST, and they love to hide in places they ought not. I’ve been awoken at midnight by my cat because he managed to sneak into my closet unnoticed in the 3 seconds it takes me to open the door and toss in my laundry. He entertained himself for a little while, then wanted out.

Another example: I used to look after my neighbor’s cat while he and his wife were on vacation. One day, on my first day of cat-sitting, I arrived at the house to feed the cat. Usually the cat was waiting by the back door meowing, but on this day, she was not. I could hear her, but I couldn’t find her. I searched every room, closet, and cabinet in the house, before going outside and finding that the finished basement had a separate key. I called my neighbor’s brother, who brought the key, opened the door, and. . .no cat.

Then he remembered the crawl space. He opened the crawl space, and out popped a dusty, hungry, annoyed cat. Turns out that’s where my neighbor keeps his luggage, and while he was packing the day prior, this 15-lb, fluffy, long haired cat cruised by him into the crawl space and got locked in. Whoops.

tl/dr: Cats are fast and hide well.

17. dibarnu says:

Somethings about this story doesn’t seem right. Anytime I’ve put one of my cats in an enclosed space, they cry and cry and cry. So this must be a very quiet cat. On top of that, after seeing many stories of pets frozen to death flying in cargo, how did this cat survive? I can believe the TSA missed it in x-ray but I can’t believe the cat was quiet and warm.

• foofish says:

Cats are weird. When you put my kitty Miku in a box, she instantly curls up, purrs like a motor, and takes a nap. Even if you close the box.
      Even if you pick up the closed box.
      Even if you pick up the closed box, walk to another room, and hand it to an unsuspecting roommate while wishing him a Happy Boxing Day.

• euph_22 says:

Yeah, my most recent cat would scream, bite and claw if you put her in a box/crate/etc. But if she climbed in herself, she’d be perfectly content, and was pretty quiet. I could definitely see this happening with some cats (not mine, since she’d get bored after 5 minutes and start meowing her head off). As you say, cats are weird. Some love doing things that others hate.

18. dks64 says:

The cat in the photo looks so much like my bf’s parents two cats. They would SO do something like this, especially the smaller one, Molly. She will sit in one place for 18 hours, easily.

19. StatusfriedCrustomer says:

34 comments and not one “I guess the cat’s out of the bag” joke. Wow.

20. Ben says:

I can’t imagine not doing a visual head count of all my pets before leaving on a long trip.

21. sweaterhogans says:

I don’t understand these stories of people’s pets accidentally getting packed. Everytime I leave the house (especially on a vacation), I check for pets and hugging them goodbye is the very last thing I do before I go out the door. Do people not make sure their pets are ok before leaving for a week?

22. mrbucket says:

I think they should have given her 2 new $100 bills, and waived her checkout cost for the inconvenience… Worth a lawsuit? Maybe, but I think the $200 should have come out of the pockets of the manager and the idiot at the checkout line. As far as it being a crime to rip up a $100 bill, as long as you have both halves you can go into any bank and trade it for a new one… I can’t see it being illegal if a bank says its OK… wait, strike that, reverse it… :)