UPS Delivers Like Nobody's Watching, But I'm Home

Kate works from home, which means that she can observe the top-secret movements of UPS delivery drivers when they think no one’s watching. That behavior isn’t all that great. In her town, neither is their reading comprehension. She sent a few short vignettes about her struggles with UPS, where they hit her property with a truck and it almost looks like they deliberately went out of their way to ignore her posted delivery instructions.

Damaged Property
So get this, my driveway is a circle so you don’t have to back up to get out of it. So what I’m trying to figure out is why the UPS driver felt he needed to back up the truck, at which point he backed into one of our light posts and bent it sideways. No note, no knock on the door, no apology. He just booked it out of our driveway. Funny that he thinks he would get away with it when I work from home. I saw you leave the scene of the accident buddy. Unbelievable. Maybe he felt that it was too difficult to drive all the way around it. Must also explain the difficulty he has with walking to my front door (which is around the side from my driveway), since he insists on dumping all packages in my driveway. This mildly peeves me but since I mostly have small things delivered, like books, it is usually ok.

My UPS Driver is Inconsiderate
I had spine surgery and I can’t lift anything. So when my delivery for today consisted of 4 packages ranging from 39 to 93 lbs each, I took the extra effort to put up signs specifically directing deliveries to the front door (around to the side of my house from my driveway). There are multiple reasons. This door has no stairs. It is covered (in case of rain). It is a large door so it is easier to get packages inside the house.

I know that to move these packages, because of my back injury, I have to open each of the 4 boxes and remove their contents – @25 pieces in each – individually. So what does the driver do? He completely ignores the signs and then to spite me he dumps the packages in my driveway IN BETWEEN THE TWO SIGNS! So now, I have to open the 4 boxes individually, and carry each of the 25 or so pieces from my driveway to my side door and into my house. I do not possess a dolly or any other type of device which would help me move these.

UPS does! My driver has a dolly on his truck. I’ve seen him use it. So why wouldn’t he acknowledge the signs and deliver the packages where I specified? Needless to say, I’ve filed a complaint with UPS through one of their techs at . He said he would forward it to the local office where the supervisor would call me back to confirm the details. I’m still waiting for that call back.

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I wonder what the driver would do if you called him on his actions. Have you thought about that?

You see him placing the packages in the wrong spot – go out, and tell him you see everything he does, and he’s doing it wrong.

• deathbecomesme says:

I wonder what their policy is on delivering packages. If they leave it on your property is that considered enough? Or do they have to leave it on a door step?

• Difdi says:

I wonder, if you owe them money, would they consider themselves paid if you dropped the amount on the floor of a UPS office as loose pennies?

• mmmveggies says:

they must knock on the door and attempt to deliver to a person. If no one is home, they must leave it somewhere out of view of the street. That’s why you may come home and find a package under your doormat. If the driver thinks your package might get stolen, they don’t have to leave it. That’s what my mom was taught when she was driving for UPS.

• PercussionQueen7 says:

My guess is him leaving it on the property is enough. Signage directing him somewhere specific on the property? That’d be him doing you a favor, or going above and beyond whatever their service level agreements are.

I wonder if the note said “I’m disabled; to help me, would you please _____” or if it was just a “PUT PACKAGES HERE” type thing. If I saw the former, I’d do my best to help out. If I saw the latter, I might think “Why is she trying to tell me how to do my job?”

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

So to make a stretch and compare it elsewhere. Say you have trouble with lifting heavy items and accept the store’s help getting your groceries to the car. Just setting the milk on the roof is OK, right? Put the spaghetti sauce on the bumper. As long as it is to the car, that is all he is obligated to do?

No, you should be able to direct the deliveries to the appropriate location. Businesses have delivery entrances. What if you have a spot that is susceptible to theft or weather damage but one that is protected? The company is being paid for the service, dropping it wherever they feel is not appropriate. Placing them at an entry to the building is not a favor, it is his job. Rolling them into your house for you? That would be a favor.

• nodaybuttoday says:

Agreed. He’s not doing a public service, he is getting paid to deliver items. This isn’t the USPS, this is a company that we’re paying to do a service. The same way ANY job works. UPS doesn’t even bother to ring my door bell anymore they just drop and run.

• cruster says:

Uh…isn’t USPS a company you are paying to do a service?

• Difdi says:

So invest in a set of traffic spikes. The next time you see one in the act of a drop and run “delivery” of a signature-required item, flip the switch…

• SilentAgenger says:

Funny (but not really) how the UPS delivery process has evolved over the years: First they would carry the package all the way to the front door, ring the bell, and wait for an answer…then, they removed “wait for an answer” from the equation (unless it involved a signature)…then, they decided “ring the bell” was no longer necessary…now, they’ve dropped the “front door” part almost entirely (at my house, it’s “garage door” at best, never mind that it’s exposed to the elements and it could be raining at the time of delivery).

• Not Given says:

If ‘somewhere’ is the front door.

• elangomatt says:

I would agree with you if the OP had a sign on their front door saying “Hey bring this to the back door since I prefer it there”. UPS isn’t even putting the items at their front door though, they are just leaving them on the driveway instead of at the door.

• Southern says:

Couldn’t agree more Loias.

See the driver? Meet him outside and ask him to stack them by the door. Problem solved.

It’s almost like people go out of their way to not interact with other people face to face any more.

2. deathbecomesme says:

My UPS driver is awesome. Same guy for last 3 years. I’m an Amazon Prime member so I get packages about once a week and he knows me by now. I’ve left him cold drinks on the door step before in an ice chest. Just to let him know I appreciate his good work.

I work from home too and he always rings the door bell or knocks. He’s polite and patient when he knows I’m busy he waits. If I don’t answer within a few minutes he leaves my package in a place where it won’t get wet and it’s hidden from plain view.

• JollySith says:

I am also a prime member and get 2-5 deliveries a week. There are 3 drivers that service my area. I can tell you which one delivered each package.

Driver A: drops the package on my front walk. he literally takes the trouble to get out of his truck, grab my package and walk it halfway to my door. which is 22′ from the curb. The extra 11′ are too much for him. Calls to UPS have gotten me the response that the driver is afraid of the dog that barking at him. That would be my neighbors 10lb Chihuahua that is behind their fence.

Driver B comes all the way to the door, but he plays this game where he tries to ring the doorbell and then be back in his truck and driving away before I can get to the door. Mildly annoying but at least the package is on my covered front porch, he even puts it behind the large pillar so it can’t be seen easily from the street.

Driver C is fantastic. He rings the bell and actually waits the 15 seconds it takes me to answer the door, and is always friendly.

• longfeltwant says:

You might not realize this, but ten-pound chihuahuas bite just like all dogs do. The fence? I’d have to see it, but dogs are well known to hop fences. On the other hand, it seems like UPS drivers should carry dog mace for those dogs.

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

Or they should carry an actual mace. One smack with a spiked ball aught to shut up a yapper!

I am not REALLY advocating dog abuse, just the image of a UPS guy with a mace on his belt made me chuckle.

• JollySith says:

They do not bite like all other dogs do. A pit bull or a doberman can remove a limb, the chihuahua would have to work 30 minutes to remove a toe.
          The fence is 6′ tall and has a second layer of wire mesh to stop the dog from digging out on the bottom 4′ of the fence.

Now a chihuahua with a 6′ vertical would be frightening.

• nodaybuttoday says:

Assuming the fence is 5 feet tall I highly doubt a chihuahua would be jumping the fence… that’s beside the fact that what is he going to do? Bite your ankle? In which case you just kick him across the yard.

• Aliciaz777 says:

Noday, exactly. Chihuahuas are all bark. I have one. He barks at people who come to the door but do you know what he does if they come inside? He runs away. I trained him not to go near people he doesn’t know, because God forbid he ever got loose (hasn’t happened in 8 years and won’t happen, he doesn’t leave my sight when we’re outside; but just in case) I don’t want some asshole to be able to grab him and take him home. He’ll run as far and as fast as he can’t before he let’s someone who’s not me or my husband pick him up.

It’s not hard to train dogs to stay away from strangers. My brother in law also trained his dog that way and he’s a 35 pound pitbull mix.

• Aliciaz777 says:

Dogs bark. You don’t get to mace a dog just because it’s barking at you. You think people are protective of their kids? Mace someone’s dog and see what happens.

• deathbecomesme says:

I’m a dog lover but if a dog is barking at me maliciously and comes into my personal space I’m going to defend myself by any means necessary. Then I’m going to take it out on the owner for not properly securing their dog.

• Difdi says:

Barking is canid for “Hey, look at this! Hey, look at this!” The dog is alerting its pack to something it thinks deserves attention. Nothing more.

If you find that to be malicious or threatening, I hope a little kid never points a finger at you, or you might commit homicide, all the while thinking you’re defending yourself.

If you attack my dog for wanting to have his tummy rubbed, you had best be able to run faster than I can.

• deathbecomesme says:

I have a yappy yorkie that barks for attention. I can tell the difference between attention seeking and malicious intent. If I had to harm your animal for meaning me harm and you came after me for it I’d do the same to you and I’d be well within my rights. You would go to jail for assault and your dog would be put down.

• pplrppl says:

I’d be happy with driver B and C. So long as the package is delivered and they ring the bell I’m ok with them continuing on the route before I get to the door.

I sometimes yell thanks as they are walking away or wave as the drive off but I’m ok if they ignore me.

• elangomatt says:

There must be two different drivers for my place. My situation is that my front door is probably 40+ feet from the street with a neighbor’s fenced yard about 10 feet from my front door. You have to walk between our houses to even see my front door at all. The back door is in plain view about 15 feet from the alley with an unlocked fence 5 feet from the alley. Here is how my drivers are:

Driver A: Parks in front of my building, walks to my front door, drops the package at my front door and then runs away back to his truck. (prefer this driver since the package will never been seen from the street or main sidewalk)

Driver B: Parks in the alley, opens my gate, drops the package by my back door, and then runs back to his truck.

Like I said before, the back door is in plain view of the alley and much much more likely to get things stolen. Driver B only cares about getting the delivery made as quickly as possible and cares little about the security of the item being delivered. I don’t think any deliveries have ever been stolen, but I’m sure it will happen sometime. Thank goodness Driver A delivers about 75% of my things and driver B the other 25%

• libgeek says:

It all depends on the driver. My house porch is about 5 feet from the sidewalk, and there’s a lot of foot traffic. I ran into the UPS driver shortly after we moved in, and he asked if it was okay if he left packages in the back yard so they don’t get stolen. He leaves a delivery note on the front door so we know to look for it. Great guy.

• Sarek says:

Decades ago, UPS used to put packages on my covered back porch without even asking. That was great. But those days are long gone.

• libgeek says:

After writing this comment, I decided that I should tell UPS about my great driver. I filled out their online feedback form and just got a call from a CSR. She was trying to help me with my problem, but wasn’t exactly sure what the issue was.. just that she thought I was having trouble getting my packages delivered to the back of the house like we had in the past. I explained to her that it was positive feedback, everything was great, and I was just saying thanks. Her reply: “Oh! We hardly get any positive feedback. I’m so glad!”

I’m as guilty as anyone else of only speaking up to complain, so I’m trying to make it a point to also provide feedback when I’m happy with a service.

• bityard says:

So this hasn’t happened in a long time, but one of our UPS drivers had a habit of simply not delivering packages which required a signature. Even when someone was home all day, we would open up our front door in the evenings to find one of their yellow “sorry we missed you” forms.

I’ll spare the long story, but the short of it was: We found out he was writing the “sorry” note in the truck, and then walking up to the door with both note and package in hand. If the front door was closed, and if nobody appeared to be watching him, he would just stick the note onto the door and then bolt back to the truck with the package.

I caught him doing this one time, though, and yelled at him as he was scampering back to the truck. He stopped and said (rather smugly) that he didn’t think anyone was home. I should have asked him why he didn’t even knock, but I figured he would have lied anyway, and there was no point starting an argument. Never saw him again after that, but they seem to rotate through drivers frequently around here.

I assume that the UPS drivers behaving badly hate their jobs and feel that doing their work poorly and inconveniencing others gives them some minor degree of pleasure. Or they’re just lazy asshats.

3. Extended-Warranty says:

I’m sure for insurance reasons, they aren’t supposed to put packages wherever you like.

Oh, and get over yourself. Few are interested in your busybody UPS watching. Unlike you, these guys work very hard.

• floyd fan says:

But leaving the scene of an accident is a CRIME. She’s not a busybody, she’s a victim of a crime. What if it was a kid and he just drove off? When, to you, is she not a busybody anymore?

Idiot.

• MaxH42 needs an edit button says:

Don’t feed the troll. I mean, it’s not like she’s asking them to enter the house, which they’re probably not supposed to do for liability reasons even if the person is home.

• Difdi says:

What accident? Hit & run is only a criminal offense on a public roadway or if an injury results. Hitting a parked car in a parking lot is a civil matter.

• Chuft-Captain says:

So for insurance reasons, they are supposed to dump packages IN THE DRIVEWAY? Seriously? You know, that place where vehicles are driven up and parked? Seems like a proper place to leave packages. You know, for insurance reasons.

And how the hell would you know how hard this person works? Working from home does not equal slacking off all day. Would you like them to just “walk off” their back injury as well?

And need I even point out the massive irony in you, posting to Consumerist during the workday, telling someone else they aren’t working hard enough?

• longfeltwant says:

“So for insurance reasons, they are supposed to dump packages IN THE DRIVEWAY? Seriously?”

Yes, seriously. They put packages in front of houses. They don’t search for a “front” door hidden somewhere else. Front doors are on the front of a house. It sounds to me like this woman lives in a house with no front door except the garage door, and that’s where the guy put it.

This might be my bias against what I consider to be poorly and asocially designed houses. If the front of your house is nothing but a huge garage door and a big picture window, then you don’t have a front door to get packages delivered to. But hey, good on you that you can gaze out of that big window and judge the people who serve you.

Hitting the post, on the other hand, is a problem. If he damaged it then he should be liable.

• AzCatz07 says:

My front door is on the side of my house, and my UPS driver regularly walks my packages around to my front door to deliver them. Why would he leave them in front of my garage? That’s just silly.

• MuleHeadJoe says:

Did you read what you just wrote? I’m sorry but that doesn’t make sense. If the door is on the side of the house, it’s a side door, not a front door, even if it is the main entrance.

Please note that “front door”, “side door”, or “back door” clearly designate a position in relation to the ‘facing’ of the house, and NOT the primary usage of the particular door. If you meant “main entrance” then you should have said “main entrance”.

A house can have a driveway that is not in the “front” based on the facing of the house … there are houses in my community where the garage door / driveway is 90 degrees off from the ‘front’ of the house. If that is the structure of your house, then the driveway is on the side of the house, and the front door is on the front.

But in any case, the “front door” is NEVER on the “side” of the house.

• ChuckECheese says:

Some modern homes have a garage that fronts the street. The main entry, aka “front door,” is often to the side of the house.

• Not Given says:

Sounds like she has a corner lot and he’s delivering to the side of the house instead of the front.

• Robert Nagel says:

There is no insurance available for UPS packages. They tell you there is and you can buy it, but try to make a claim and see what happens. I stopped paying for it on shipments and just take the risk on myself. I am way ahead of the game.

• Extended-Warranty says:

I’m talking about insuring UPS themselves. Nearly every company has guidelines to protect themselves from risks such as worker injury or customer damaged property (as already happened).

• MMD says:

Remember when Consumerist used to “audition” commenters to ensure some semblance of post quality? Those were the days…

• lvdave says:

Geez.. Consumerist was sooo much better when snarky jerks like you couldn’t post your snark. *I* for one, AM interested in UPS “watching”, especially since my UPS route driver does the same thing. I also work at home, and have a LARGE note on the door, PLEASE KNOCK LOUDLY IF SIGNATURE REQUIRED DELIVERY-I AM HERE”, as our doorbell does not work. My office window overlooks the street and one day I was expecting an important delivery. I saw the brown van pull up and headed towards the front door to reduce the time he had to wait for me.. By the time I got to the door, I heard a roar of an engine, and sure enough the asshole had left a “sorry, missed you” slip and drove off. From the time I heard the van pull up outside until I heard it drive off was, at most less than a minute. That idiot must have been writing the slip as he walked up to the porch.. I called UPS and complained but you know how THAT goes… Fortuantly I had some pull with the sender of the package and told them in the future they WILL NOT ship me items via UPS. Fortuantly the FedEx guy in my area is very nice and doesn’t do this crap…

• Extended-Warranty says:

My snark comes from the same snark that consumers like you have. I’m sure you have never worked for UPS, so you do not know what their expectations are. To you and all of the other snarky consumers who are high and mighty with their home businesses, they are a bunch of lazy people, right? Shipping companies are all about logistics, and have everything down to a science. They have to be, otherwise you wouldn’t be doing business with them if it was more expensive. They do not have time to deliver items wherever is most convenient, read customer directions at every address, or wait for people to answer the door. A few minutes here and a few minutes there results in many less packages being delivered.

There’s no excuse for them damaging customer property and driving off. That is the perfect example of why they have limitations though.

• who? says:

I worked for UPS. If he leaves the package anywhere but right by the front door, he’s supposed to leave a tag on the door, telling where the package is. I think the problem is that OP is buying boxes of books, which are too damn heavy to carry to the front door without a dolly, and the driver is either too lazy or too pressed for time to get the dolly out of his truck.

4. AEN says:

If you don’t like UPS, go with someone else – like FedEx. Make capitalism work for you.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Add how do you do that, when online retailers dictate what shipping company to use, not you?

• cactus jack says:

Refuse to do business with any retailer that does use UPS? Sure you’ll have to go out of your way, but if you feel strongly enough about it to do so, I’m sure you’ll survive. And at least voice your displeasure with the retailer even if they won’t be able to change services.

I had issues with UPS for a while, and contacted Amazon about it. As a Prime member, I was a bit annoyed that my packages were marked as “delivered” but would show up the next day regularly. After they got involved I had my UPS guy and some guy with a clip board asking what happened and apologizing for the idiocy. Everything has been smooth since.

• longfeltwant says:

Indeed. I do this. I strongly prefer the Postal Service, and I have frequently searched around for an online retailer who will deliver by post. Occasionally I will email the websites which lost my business to tell them why.

• PercussionQueen7 says:

I’m exactly the opposite. UPS gets me packages marked for two-day shipping overnight. USPS? Especially if it’s that “Mail Innovations” or “SmartPost” stuff, my local post office will add a day or two extra. I’ve had mixed results with FedEx – they will usually be on time, but there was a package that was sitting in the local depot a day early, and instead of putting it on the truck, they took the time to pick it up, scan it with a “one day early” code, and put it back down, to deliver the next day. They totally lost points with me for that one.

• T-Bone says:

That kind of thing always pisses me off. So what if you got it to my city faster than you expected? That’s no excuse to let it sit around for a few days before delivering it. It seems to me that there would be more effort to do that than just let it flow right to me.

• Not Given says:

My son complains almost every time he gets a delivery. When people aren’t home they are supposed to leave the packages with the rental office. Once in a while he escalates to a supervisor and it gets better for a while. Now he is known that @$$hole in 3xx. He said he listed some things that were left in front of his door and the 1000 rounds of 9mm ammo seemed to freak the supervisor more than $900 electronics.

5. David says:

Yes, I had the same issue with reading comprehension – I was away and left a note on my door, please drop off with next door neighbor, with an arrow pointing the way, lest there be any confusion. Anyhow, for whatever reason my order was split, requiring two deliveries. First one, no problem, neighbor got it. Next one, several days later, ended up at a neighbor’s place in the opposite direction and a good 5 min walk away, and yes the note was still attached to the door in the original location and orientation.

I always avoid UPS in favor of FedEx, was told some time ago that it’s because UPS drivers not held accountable for deliveries, whereas FedEx drivers are held accountable.

6. jeepguy57 says:

I have a two car garage with about 3′ between the two doors. I can’t tell you how many times UPS leaves small packages right in front of one of the doors. A few times this has happened while my wife is home and she has backed out and over the package. Luckily its never been anything breakable. Though I would have filed the complaint and has UPS pay for it, if that were the case.

No common sense at all from these drivers.

I keep meaning to leave a note asking they either bring the packages to the front door (the EFFORT that would take) or at least leave them between the doors so we don’t run over them. Sigh.

• raitch says:

Our guy does the same thing. Or he puts the package on the trunk of the car, and if it’s small or thin, we’re lucky if we see it. I got halfway to my daughters’ school the other day before realizing there was a textbook package on the back of the car.

• longfeltwant says:

They probably do that because of the opposite complaint from the previous customer, to wit:

I have a two-car garage with about 3′ between the two doors. I can’t tell you how many times UPS leaves small packages in between the two doors, where I will never seen them. A few times this has happened with food in the packages, and the food spoiled before we realized the package was there. I filed a complaint with UPS to pay for it, and they refused my claim!

No common sense at all from these drivers. Just leave the package where I’m sure to see it!

• chancyrendezvous says:

My delivery person does this, too. I backed over a very nice fruit and cheese basket a few days after I moved in and I’ll probably back over additional packages in the future if I don’t get around to putting a sign up.

7. Harry Greek says:

I would have approached the driver in person and explained the surgery situation. If he/she refused to repair the damage and kept leaving your packages where you can’t get to them, then you escalate it.

8. Risu no Kairu says:

Did you not do anything when you saw the UPS driver destroy your light? You should have complained then and sued if they didn’t compensate you. Put up a camera on your driveway so you have proof of goof.

Also, try contacting the shipper and ask that they place special instructions on the package such as ” leave at side door, do not leave in driveway” to help try and avoid this.

9. Jeff asks: "WTF could you possibly have been thinking? says:

Sounds like you needs to hire someone to help out around the house/business. It’s not UPS’ concern that you have a bad back. Get over yourself.
    As far as the light post, call the police, call UPS to file a complaint and call your insurance company. Like ordinary people.

10. jbandsma says:

Around here it’s really hard to complain to UPS. They have an unlisted phone number. You can only get the 800 number to corporate…and hope your phone battery will last through the automated menu.

11. dulcinea47 says:

I have a friend who’s an actual UPS driver. Based on stuff she’s said, he probably ran after hitting the light post b/c he would definitely get in trouble and possibly fired if he’d been written up before. Not that that excuses his behaviour, but you might run too if you were in fear for your job.

As for leaving things in the driveway… yeah I know they are in a super hurry but if there are clear instructions where things are supposed to go, that’s where they’re supposed to go. “In the driveway” is not it.

12. Robert Nagel says:

Our UPS driver will actually go upstairs looking for me if he can’t find anyone downstairs to sign for a package. I guess it takes all kinds.

• brianguyy says:

mine just rings the doorbell, waits 5 seconds, leaves a note 3 times and then they won’t deliver it. I have to go pick it up between 8-6 (tough when you work 8-5) about 15 miles away from my home, which is about 20 miles away from my work.

they’ve been doing this to me for at least 10 years, at 3 different addresses. I think our usual driver at the current residence has figured out a better way not to make me suffer through this stupid exercise.

• cactus jack says:

If you call the number on the notice, you can get them to hold the package for you at the warehouse for pickup after 8pm.

13. HalOfBorg says:

I get a cancer drug delivered by UPS. FDA requires it be signed for.
    So far, they have managed to get it on he porch, knock and scurry away. While people are at home and can see them.

I have reported it to the distributor (Walgreens regional pharmacy).

14. Robert Nagel says:

Our driver tries all kinds of contortions to keep from having to back up. Apparently, they monitor how many times a driver puts the truck into reverse to control these types of accidents. One has to wonder why the driver would not have taken the opportunity to complete the delivery without having to go into reverse.

15. brianguyy says:

hmm, you didn’t tell them you wanted to file a claim for damages for the light pole??

that’s the part that most surprises me… (so far)

16. balderdashed says:

I’ve had my run-ins with at least one UPS driver, too, and one thing that particularly bugs me is that when I have a question or concern about his conduct on my property, he refuses to provide his name, an ID number, or any other identifying information. Yes, he’s wearing a brown shirt and his truck is parked in front of my driveway (actually, it’s blocking my driveway, illegally) so I know he works for UPS. But in the event of a dispute, or damaged property as cited in this article, it would be good to be able to ID him as someone other than a 5’10 gentleman with brown eyes and dark hair. Actually, I’d like to be able to ask for ID from anyone who shows up at my doorstep, and it would seem reasonable that UPS policy — if not local laws — should require that drivers provide it. But with this dude, my only recourse is to grab my camera and follow him down the street, getting a shot of his rear license plate as he drives away to mishandle somebody else’s packages. And yes, I’ve done that.

• Not Given says:

I think if you know the tracking number of the package, they should be able to identify who delivered it.

• balderdashed says:

I’m sure you’re right about that. But because they should, doesn’t mean they cheerfully will. And if their nameless, badgeless, ID-less driver damages something — be it my package or my driveway’s light post — I’d just as soon gather the evidence myself, promptly, rather the relying on UPS to be competent or helpful. They rarely exhibit either of those virtues.

17. mikedt says:

Wow after all these complaints I can only assume I’ve been extremely lucky with UPS. At my current address the drivers (after 7 years I assume I’ve had more than one driver) always put the package at my back door out of street view. At my prior residence they always managed to get it to the porch and would often attempt to hide it by putting the welcome mat over it.

18. gedster314 says:

I get many packages that require signatures, my driver leaves it at the door, no knock or door bell ring and signs it for me. If the trucks weren’t so loud I would have never he arrived.

19. PBallRaven says:

Remember, YOU are not their customer. The person shipping the package is. Complain to them that their shipper is not doing a good job, and then let them escalate it. United Parcel Smashers only listens to the people paying them.

20. Out For Delivery says:

9 of the last 12 hard drives I’ve had shipped to my office were bad.

The other morning I saw UPS casually tossing packages about 5-10 feet as they stacked them on a dolly, and suddenly it became clear why ~$3000 worth of hard drive had been sent back over the last couple weeks.

21. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I finally solved the mystery of the crushed solar lights at the end of my driveway. Turns out the neighborhood UPS truck was using the end of my driveway as a turn around point, as I learned one day when I was on staycation. I moved the lights.

22. lvdave says:

See? now you know the reason for the old meme from many years ago.. the one that goes “If its brown, Flush IT!!”

23. Oh_No84 says:

Sorry but the driver has every right to leave the packages wherever he wants on your property.
    If you have some medical condition you need to pay for a caretaker.

Dont bitch at the guy trying to deliver as fast a possible for low pay.
    Now there is no excuse for the hit and run, so I imagine he was fired over that after you called the police.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Actually, he doesn’t. He’s being paid to deliver packages and delivery does not mean vault them over a fence or toss them into the bushes or leave them in the middle of the driveway. And it doesn’t mean ignore a sign that politely asks the delivery person walk an extra few feet.

24. aztroglide73 says:

people need to get over themselves. Yes, you are paying for a service, but it never gives the customer a license to demand where a package should go. I know a lot of UPS drivers and they don’t have the time to play guessing games. OK. don’t put the package at the front door. How is a driver supposed to know that someone has an injury and can’t lift heavy packages?? The driver is not a mind reader. Drivers have demanding schedules and time commitments to meet. Job requirements just like everyone else in America!! Customers are not the puppet masters and delivery drivers are not the puppets.

25. caj111 says:

Was there any money left over in the getaway car by the time they got caught?

26. nickmoss says:

I must be blessed. I have never had a problem with any UPS driver. I’ve also never had a UPS driver that did not have a box of Milk-Bones on the truck. If I’m not home, he even leaves a biscuit on top of the package.

• MMD says:

It really comes down to differences in each individual carrier. I’ve had wonderful UPS drivers and terrible ones. The best one I ever had knew that I was never home when he usually hit my neighborhood, so he’d go out of his way and swing back through at the end of his route if he had a delivery for me. The worst one I ever had consistently lied about me not being home to accept packages.

It’s all about hiring good people, paying them enough to care, and holding them accountable when they don’t.

27. offtopic says:

There are 2 different issues here. Backing into your light and then leaving hoping that no-one noticed is the one that you actually can press, both with the company and also, if you choose, with your local police department. The driver destroyed your property – it’s a hit and run.

As for leaving your packages in the driveway, even when you placed signs is likely not something that UPS management will care about. They care that packages get delivered, not how considerate the driver is. So, you will just have to live with the fact that the driver is an inconsiderate jerk.

I had a driver that did the same – dump stuff in my driveway rather than walk another 30 feet to the covered porch. First time that it rained and the packages were soaked I filled a damage claim with UPS. That was the last time packages were left in the driveway.

One thing that you could do is require signatures on deliveries like the one that you describe as heavy. I believe that there is an extra cost, but it can be done. With your back I’m sure that spending an extra couple of dollars on freight would have been just fine.

28. CRiley65 says:

I had a couple of problems a while back. First was that the driver would stick my items in my car instead of bringing them to my door. (It wasn’t raining) I didn’t realize it until a couple of days later when I went to work.
    In another delivery, the driver went around a blind curve very fast and forced my wife off the road.
    I called UPS on each of these and they took care of both. Never had the same problems again. (I stressed that the second problem was a safety issue and that the first problem was a laziness issue on the driver.)

29. redzipper says:

There seems to be a fundamental understanding missing here. You are not a customer of ups when getting a delivery from a online retailer. The shipper is the customer. So if you have a problem with the service tell the retailer, but of course damaged property should be brought up to the delivery company.

30. lauren6318 says:

i also work from home. used to love when USPS would leave “Sorry we missed you ” notes for me on my front door when i worked in the living room, less then 15 ft from the spot where they leave the note. (they’d leave the note with the mail, so i’d see them drop off the mail and the ‘sorry i missed you note”… ) yet made no effort to knock on the door and ask me to sign for the package. this wasnt ONE TIME. it was a chronic issue.

31. chronchameleon says:

I have experienced some of the same behavior. I have security cameras outside my house and some of them are set up to detect motion, particularly the one in the front of the house. One time the driver left one package on the roof of my roommate’s car, and another on the trunk–the front door is literally 10 feet away. Another time I watched the truck pull in the driveway and do a three point turn, after which the driver proceeded to roll the package down the stairs of his vehicle and into my driveway without even setting foot outside of the truck! I called UPS on that one and received an apology along with the excuse that “it wasn’t the regular driver for that route….” I don’t really see how that makes a difference. My packages seem to show up by the door now. Guess it takes surveillance to make sure the drivers do their job in a reasonable manner. I’m sure that UPS’s pressure on their drivers to be “as fast as possible” doesn’t help.

32. aztroglide73 says:

To all the complainers/whiners about deliveries: Go to ups.com and their is a service called my choice. It will get your package delivered at whatever time you choose. The package gets released WITHOUT A SIGNATURE. If that’s what you want, you have to register for this service. If you don’t, you don’t have a lot of room to complain. Also, you may be able to contact the shipper directly i.e. Amazon,etc… and tell them you don’t want to sign for your packages. Be proactive….a lot of times the shipper and UPS have a contract and UPS is required by that company to get a signature.