Robbers Must Not Care About Haul That Much If They're Throwing Cash Out Of The Window

What’s a bunch of suspected bank robbers to do when the cops are closing in during a high-speed chase in South Los Angeles? Apparently that is the perfect time to hurl your ill-gotten gains out of the window and make it rain cash. The up side for passersby — free cash! And if the ensuing melee gets in the way of the cops closing in, perhaps that makes for a good getaway tactic. But also, really dangerous to have people diving for free money in the streets.

Here’s how it all went down, according to the Los Angeles Times: The two suspects reportedly hit up a Bank of America with two other armed men around 10 a.m. in an SUV that had been reported stolen. The Sheriff’s Department was able to find the suspects pretty quickly and give chase, at which point, two of the four men jumped out of the car and tried to run away on foot.

The two men left in the car then led cops on a merry chase from freeways to side streets as they made their way to South L.A. As they entered a residential neighborhood with more than a dozen cop cars hot on their tail, a hand with a fistful of money suddenly appeared out the window and sent money flying on the breeze. More kept coming out as passersby caught on and started scrambling into the street to scoop up the dough.

Sure, it probably wasn’t an act of generosity, but locals are pretty pleased about the shared wealth.

“It’s our neighborhood stimulus package!” one onlooker joked to the LAT, while another neighbor added, “Kids were smiling like it was Christmas.”

But cops don’t want these men seen in the same light as that other guy who robbed from the rich to give to the poor, said a police spokesman.

“Robin Hood is not how I would describe these guys,” he said. “It’s just the worst side of human nature.” He added, “It’s a true blessing if no one was seriously hurt.”

The bustling streets ended up hampering the getaway vehicle, however, and the SUV got stuck behind a truck. The cops closed in and that’s all she wrote.

Cops are now urging onlookers to turn in any cash they may have scooped up during the chase, and say they will use video to find anyone who keeps the ill-gotten gains.

Robbery suspects toss cash into air during pursuit [Los Angeles Times]

Comments

1. STXJK says:

I was about to say – until I read the last sentence – they really don’t get to keep this money! Of course, I wonder what video they will use to find those who grabbed the cash and ran.

2. TheMansfieldMauler says:

The end of that video – where did all those people come from? It was the middle of the day on a weekday in a residential area during the school year. I guess all those hard working people happened to have taken a vacation day? Maybe they all work the night shift? That must be it.

• chargernj says:

you seem you be implying something racist. But that isn’t unusual for you.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

The demographic makeup of the unemployment rate is not racist. It is simply fact.

That was supposed to have been fixed by now…or so the American people were promised 4 years ago.

• chargernj says:

racism is alive and well in this nation. Sad fact is that people of color are the last to be hired and the first to be fired. I’m sure you think that’s just a coincidence, or worse, “they” deserve it.

As for promises made 4 years ago, it took 8 years to dig the hole we are in, only a complete idiot would think 4 years would be enough time to fix the economy. He never promised it would only take 4 years, only that he would turn it around, and it is turning, just look at how well the stock market is doing. Also, ask the Republicans why they won’t pass a jobs bill?

• Marlin says:

Well he does read breitbart so… yea.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

You filter have no idea what I read or why. In fact it is excellent strategy to read what your opposition reads, so the fact that some reads one site or another is irrelevant.

As a matter of fact, I don’t “read” breitbart”. The link was on **gasp** Drudge this morning.

• MarkFL says:

There are so many aggregators out there that it’s impossible to tell what link someone used to find even a specific article. And that’s not even accounting for stuff that one stumbles upon in a Google search.

3. Lyn Torden says:

If it isn’t already, they will be making it illegal to throw money out the window of a moving vehicle (police chase or not) just because money is more likely to draw people onto the streets.

In the mean time, people who scooped up the cash will probably end up throwing it back out on the street. Then ….

4. Harry Greek says:

Helicopters, multiple cop cars, video footage everywhere – how exactly is being a bank robber feasible?? You will eventually get caught. There is just too keeping track of you.

• Applekid says:

Unless the bank robber owns the bank

• MarkFL says:

Why am I suddenly reminded of the South Park episode where the guys in Korn were arguing over whether they had seen a ghost pirate or a pirate ghost?

“A bank robber is a robber whose target is banks. A robber bank is a bank that became a person because of Citizens United and then made a conscious decision to rob people.”

“No, no, it’s the other way around!”

• Ace says:

You would be amazed how many times people get away with robbing banks.

My sister-in-law works for a major bank. They have been robbed twice in the last year and at least 6 times in the 6 years she has worked there. Nothing at gunpoint. No bombs. Just some guy in a hoodie and a face mask walks in and demands cash from a teller. They give the cash and call the cops. The robbers only get caught when they get greedy or stupid. Of the 6 known robberies, only 1 has netted an arrest.

This same thing happens all over the US and it is kept very quiet because the banks and law enforcement doesn’t want people to know just how easy it is to get away with bank robbery.

You are more likely to get caught robbing a convenience store.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Most robberies are done by note-passers. The banks are insured and they’re told not to resist; just do what the robbers say. When doing research on this for a book, I was astonished by the amount of robbers who don’t even bother to put on more of a disguise than maybe a ball cap! Also, the same banks tend to get robbed over and over, because it’s easy. It’s all about location, too. Easy in, easy out.

They do catch bank robbers, but most of the time, the money is never recovered.

The FBI has quit responding to bank robberies where there is no weapon; usually the local cops catch it first. The fun part of writing the book was figuring out how to disguise / get away / hide. Basically, no internet, prepaid phones, and a lot of misdirection. You steal a car? Change the plates a couple of times. Get a couple of cars set up and switch out. I had one character who was really good at drive-and-dump.

One bad thing about this was now I’m paranoid whenever I have to go into my bank. I scan the lot, scan the counter, scan everyone in the lobby area.

• KyBash says:

I took half a dozen rolls of quarters to the bank. It was one of those bright-sunshine but chill-wind autumn days, so I was wearing sunglasses and had my hood up. I had to keep my hand in my pocket so the rolls wouldn’t pull down that side of my sweatshirt.

As soon as I stepped into the bank, I realized how I must look.

Fortunately, the teller (the only person there) never batted an eye.

I’ve always wondered what might have happened if she’d been a little paranoid.

• bluline says:

At my bank branch there are large signs on the doors telling anyone entering to remove sunglasses, caps, hoods, whatever. If you don’t, you will be verbally asked to do so.

• bityard says:

Bank robbery is not, in fact, a lucrative career: http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/06/economists-demonstrate-exactly-why-bank-robbery-is-a-bad-idea/

1/3 of all robberies are failures (either they run before they get the money, or are caught) and the average payout is only around $4,330. Only the desperate or mentally ill are foolish enough to rob a bank for income.

• MarkFL says:

I can’t believe nobody said you’re even less likely to get away with robbing a donut shop.

• bluline says:

Banks in heavily populated areas make it easy for a robber to disappear quickly.

• Bob A Dobalina says:

Last year we had a guy here rob a bank in the middle of a Friday afternoon

The police arrived within 40 seconds of getting the alarm and started to pursue him. The robber wrecked his truck and fled on foot

The local, county and state cops blanketed the area with 300 cops. There were SWAT teams, helicopters and dogs.

They finally caught the guy a few months ago when he was arrested for an unrelated crime- in Canada

They don’t all end like the ones you see on TV

5. Gruppa says:

I live in LA and obviously this was all over the news and radio. There was a big discussion about if it was irresponsible of the news to broadcast where they were live, as it entices people to get involved. Regular car chases can be bad enough, but throwing money out the window really ups the ante. They weren’t even large bills. One guy interviewed got a whopping $2.

• bluline says:

Yeah, shooting the messenger is always the best strategy.

• Bob A Dobalina says:

One story states that people were calling friends on their cellphones to let them know what was going on. Some came from as far as ten blocks away.

They were $1 bills

F-ing LA

6. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

“Sorry officer, I did try to pick up some of that money. Here is the $5 that I managed to grab in my haste. Sorry, that is all I managed to keep, the rest just blew away.”

7. Applekid says:

I gotta think the point of this was to get pedestrians running around in the street behind them and that the cops wouldn’t plow through them.

Or they burned the money in the bank heist. Oh, no, wait, that was Robocop.

• MarkFL says:

Exactly. There was an episode of “Fringe” where a guy started throwing money around in order to create a mob scene and disappear into the crowd.

8. Blueskylaw says:

The passerby weren’t trying to steal someone’s ill gotten gains, they were trying to
    recoup their investment in the banks (as taxpayers) from the government bailout.

Remember the Bonus Army?

9. Not Given says:

Jaynestown

10. kaptainkk says:

Use video to find anyone who keeps the money? For the love of Christ, give it up and dedicate your resources to something more worthwhile like making sure things like this don’t happen. Plus police are asking people “to do the right thing” and turn the money back in. Fuck that. I say let those people keep the money. They need it more than the bank does, which will of course just write it off. If I found that kind of money, or any money I would never turn it in. If I found a wallet I would mail it back to the owner minus the cash of course!

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Wait.
      If I lost my wallet, and it had ID and some cash in it, you would STEAL my cash and send me back my wallet?

You’re a thief then. That’s not your money; that’s MY money. Thief. Cut off your hands. Scum.

• kaptainkk says:

Really? Maybe if I broke into your house and took your wallet you would be correct in calling it thievery. It’s really called a convenience fee because you inconvenienced me because you could not keep up with your wallet. You’d be lucky if you got your shit back at all.

• MarkFL says:

As I said in another discussion, the entire concept of banking is based on other people’s money. If you take the money, it’s other people’s money, which the bank uses to make their own money. Probably the money will be replaced. I’m not sure if the FDIC covers theft, but if it does, it ends up costing the taxpayers. If other insurance covers it, it’s the insurance company’s money, and that increases the cost of obtaining insurance. But in the end, it’s not the bank losing the money.

11. caj111 says:

Was there any money left over in the getaway car by the time they got caught?

• Gruppa says:

I heard on the radio this morning that during the commotion when they got stopped and hauled out of the car that some lady reached in and actually stole the bag with the rest of the money in it. No word on how much was left.

12. KarlStyles says:

I’m sure that the people who grabbed the money could just get away with giving half of it back. I doubt the cameras have good enough picture to make out exactly how much each person grabbed.

13. Kaonashi says:

Call it South Central Consumerist, don’t give in to the people who think they can whitewash years of violence by changing the name (without changing anything else about South Central) by using their new name for it.

14. Bob A Dobalina says:

if i grabbed some of that cash, there is no way the cops could tell how much i got from the video

so, to cover my butt, i would show up at the police station and “turn in” a few bills and keep the rest for myself