Comment Of The Day: Slot Machine Of Fire

In today’s best comments, a reader from Oregon explains why pumping gas can be so exciting, and a reader trades a little herb for a restaurant meal right here in the United States.

Platypi: Some of us Oregonians look at filling our own tanks as a novelty when we travel to Washington. Kind of like a flammable slot machine!

Bonus hyperlocal dining comment: you can trade produce for restaurant meals here in the United States, too, if you know where to go.

Snowblind: Did this. Grew a boatload of herbs in my backyard, Basil, cilantro, thyme, sage… way more than I could use.

So I took the herbs to the local restaurants in trade for lunch. The quality of my produce was better than they could get so they were happy to trade. Basil in particular was very prized.

This works better in a high density area, like San Jose where I was going to Univ. at the time.

Seen an especially funny, insightful, or useful comment? Nominate it for Comment of the Day by sending it to laura@consumerist.com by e-mail or Google Chat.

Please enjoy your time here at Consumerist, and comment responsibly. You can find our recently updated Comments Code right here.

Comments

1. Difdi says:

Interesting fact about Oregon gas stations:

It’s not actually illegal for people to pump their own gas, but most residents of Oregon believe it is. Gasoline is classified as a hazardous material in Oregon, requiring a training class and license to handle legally. But anybody can take that class, and if you’ve taken it, it’s perfectly legal to pump your own gasoline.

• Vegetius says:

But the paycheck for the pump jockey’s already included in the price of gasoline, so you don’t benefit by pumping it yourself.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

Do you have to take this class if you want to get a portable container to take and fill your mower?

• Difdi says:

No, but if you want to put gasoline in that container at the gas station, you need the services of someone who has the license.

2. NE-Phil says:

Oh, those kinds of herbs. I assumed the OP was talking about something else entirely…

3. Doc_Stew says:

Newegg has horrific customer service. I used to shop there years ago, but that was back when they cared about their customers. Now, they couldn’t care less. It’s Amazon or bust for me – no one even comes close to their customer service!

4. Platypi {Redacted} says:

Woohoo! Comment of the day! Do I win a prize, or a trophy or something? No? :)

Happy Friday Everyone!

5. rslitman says:

Pennsylvanians like me think it’s a novelty to get the tank filled by a gas station employee when we go to New Jersey.

6. NephriteStars says:

What do they say to someone who’s always pumped her own gas, gets out at one full service station, and starts to pump her own? I’m curious.

7. Tijil says:

It always amazes me that there actually are two states in the United States that don’t trust their citizens to pump their own gas – but trust the mouth-breathing cretins who often seem to be manning the pumps.

I’d really rather not have one of those guys waving a metal gas nozzle around near the side of my car, thankyouverymuch…