Chase Customers: Did The Bank Ever Re-Open Your Closed Account?

Over the lifetime of Consumerist, we’ve written a number of stories about so-called zombie bank accounts, where a consumer finds out their closed account has been re-opened without their knowledge or approval, usually after some third party attempts to make a direct deposit or debit on the dead account. If you were a Chase bank customer and your account was resurrected from the grave, we’d like to hear from you.

Bank of America recently pledged to stop creating zombie accounts, and Chase has told our advocacy pals at Consumers Union that it will only re-open a closed account if a customer requests it.

But CU looked at Chase’s terms and conditions and found that the bank still “reserves the right” to re-open a closed account.

So in order to put some pressure on Chase to commit to leaving dead accounts six feet under where they belong, CU is asking people who have had this problem to share their story.

Go HERE to tell Consumers Union about your Chase zombie account ordeal.

Comments

1. Blueskylaw says:

“Chase has told our advocacy pals at Consumers Union that
    it will only re-open a closed account if a customer requests it”

So Chase essentially admitted that they would re-open a
    customers [CLOSED] account per other people’s/entities requests.

• Lyn Torden says:

I wonder if they open an account (number) that had never been open before, if a check or credit charge/debit comes through for it. With no person associated with a never been open account, they couldn’t send any notice. But I just wonder of that happens anyway with no one knowing about it.

2. Anachronism says:

I’ve never understood how the whole practice is legal, even buried in the fine print that you signed when you OPENED an account.

When you close an account, you and the bank are essentially agreeing on that fact. The bank would never allow you to close an account with a negative balance, so the closure of an account is an agreement that the account is settled and over with, which in a sane world would also mean that the agreements you made when you opened the account have been satisfied.

Reopening an closed account to take debits is creating liabilities for somebody without their permission, especially when in many cases the bank then starts lumping fees on the “negative balance” of the account that they created out of thin air in the borrowers name without their knowledge. Its very hard for me to see that granting “permission” for this buried in fine print from an account closed years ago allows a bank to years later create a new account to leverage fees without the borrower’s knowledge.

• Lyn Torden says:

Well, there’s more than one way to be closed. You should be able to close an account to the extent of not allowing any debits or charges, besides their fees if the balance is negative. It won’t be closed in the context of them trying to collect on it or allowing you to pay up the fees.

What the law should provide for is giving the customer the absolute authority to end or block any and all debits and charges to an account from other than the bank itself … regardless of any other status of the account. This would block all auto-debits, too. The bank certainly can block all these things, as they would do so for an account number that was never opened to begin with (well, I hope they do that).

• Blueskylaw says:

The only reason banks do this is because it makes them money. You think you closed an account and are in good standing until “someone” requests that Chase re-open it. You don’t find out about it until months later when Chase has levied fines/fees/charges/penalties to the tune of thousands of dollars on your account which is then sold to scummy debt collectors who will graciously let you settle the debt for “only” $500.00

Think about it – ANY effort expended by the bank has to result in profit otherwise it would not be allowed to happen.

3. Lyn Torden says:

Long long ago Chase had a credit card account open in my name. I did have a checking account there but I never opened a credit card account. This showed up on my credit report with a zero balance. I disputed it but the CRAs said it was confirmed. I called Chase’s credit card support phone number, but they could not find the account (I had the actual number and they also search by name, address, and SSN). I talked to the branch manager about it and he was unable to find anything, either. A 2nd dispute was re-confirmed. That was the trigger that made me end my banking relationship with Chase (they can’t get their act together). I told this to the branch manager when I was in there to close things out. That’s when he told me that he had given notice and Friday was his last day, and he mentioned he would be glad to get out of there.

4. Out For Delivery says:

I was going to tell my story but the form you link (and sponsor?) forces you to opt into spam emails so no thanks.

• Scooter McGee says:

It doesn’t look like it is a forced opt-in. Did you try submitting without checking the opt-in box? That’s kind of pointless to call it opt-in if you’re forced to.

5. Scooter McGee says:

I closed my checking/savings accounts with Chase about two years ago and was told I would get confirmation letters in the mail. Never did. After reading all the horror stories on here I decided to call and ask for them. Now I have two letters saying my checking and savings accounts are in fact closed. The only thing I still have with them is my Marriott Visa.

6. Sarek says:

If you are on the Dish network, does this prevent you from getting Walking Dead accounts?