Is There Anything Special About The iPhone 5?

It’s been almost a year since Apple unveiled the iPhone 4S, with some significant upgrades like Siri voice recognition and both CDMA and GSM compatibility. So today the company announced the latest iteration of the iPhone, but would the iPhone 5 have enough new bells and whistles to make 4S users take a hammer to their old phones in disgust?

As expected, the iPhone 5 will not only work on 4G wireless networks like HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA but is 4G LTE compatible. Of course, this may mean nothing to you if you live in the overwhelming majority of the nation that does not access to LTE yet.

The prices for the iPhone 5 remain the same as for the original 4S: $199 for 16GB; $299 for 32GB; $399 and for 64GB. All of these require two-year contracts with the carrier.

Pre-orders begin Friday Sept. 14 and the device ships Sept. 21.

The phone’s exterior is made entirely of glass and aluminum, and the company claims it’s not only the lightest and thinnest iPhone yet at 18% skinnier and 20% lighter than the 4S, it’s also the thinnest smartphone in the world.

The 4-inch Retina display has a 1136 × 640 resolution and a full 16 x 9 aspect ratio. The device is taller than previous iPhones. “It’s because of your hand,” said Apple exec Phil Schiller. “It should fit there.”

“You see more of your email in mail. Your calendar shows more events,” he added.

With the wider aspect ratio and 40% more color saturation, the new display should work better for streaming videos and gives some apps more room to play around with.

Schiller also claimed the display “is the most accurate display in the industry. The touch sensors are integrated right into the display itself. We removed a layer and made it sharper. This is the world’s most advanced display.”

The iPhone 5 is also capable of faster WiFi connections than previous iterations with 2.4ghz and 5ghz on 802.11n added to the device.

Apple says the new A6 chip doubles the speed of the CPU and graphics on the iPhone 5.

“It’s a huge jump in performance, but 22% smaller,” says Schiller.

The battery should allow for eight straight hours of web browsing over LTE networks.

The iPhone 5 camera is now 8 megapixels and Schiller claims that other camera upgrades allow for 40% faster image capturing. He also showed off a new built-in panorama mode that stitches together photos. There are currently any number of third-party apps that do this, but this appears to be included with the device.

And of course there is FaceTime Over Cellular, which allows users to use the native video chat app over their wireless connection. It had previously only been available for use over WiFi.

Sure to be of annoyance to some people is Apple’s decision to finally do away with the wide 30-pin connectors that have been associated with iOS devices for years. But rather than go the industry standard with a micro USB connection, Apple is using a connector it dubs “Lightning.”

There will of course be clunky adaptors for people who have purchased any number of 30-pin based accessories over the last half-decade.

iOS 6 has a new feature called Passbook, that appears to allow users to make certain things — boarding passes, movie tickets — available from the lock screen, rather than requiring them to search through the phone for them.

The updated OS also has built-in, cloud-based photo sharing that allows you to pick images and then select the contacts you wish to share them with, rather than sending a photo via text or through a third-party app.

Like its predecessor, the iPhone 5 will be available in black and white.

Earlier in the press conference, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that over 400 million iOS devices have been sold to date.

He claims that even though the market has been flooded with tablets in the last year, the iPad now has 68% of the market share in the U.S., up 6% from a year ago.

What’s more, Cook says that iPads account for 91% of web traffic from tablets.

“I don’t know what these other tables are doing,” he zinged, “They must be in warehouses or on store shelves, or maybe in someone’s drawer.”

Comments

1. Extended-Warranty says:

It’s extremely innovative with widescreen and LTE!

• MrMongerty says:

All those other phones with LTE are just copying!

• BigDragon says:

Extremely! It’s the first real phone with these features too! Once again everyone needs to play catch-up and steal Apple’s ideas. There are going to be so many pre-orders for the new iPhone that it’s going to help the economy recover and create hundreds of thousands of new jobs. Such an amazing, magical device!

• Chris Long says:

So, like, if Apple jumped out a window, you’d be dead meat…

• MeowMaximus says:

There is another particularly useful feature: while this overpriced iToy is utterly useless as a phone, it does inject nano-bots into the brains (or at least skulls) of its users, turning them into Zombies, which will be sent to work in CrApples secret work camps (not the ones in China we know about, the ones here in the US), thus freeing the rest of us from having to deal with drooling CrApple hipster fanbois. Thank you CrApple!

2. Hi_Hello says:

I would be nice to see the samsung sue apple over the lte part. I like to see them fight it out just for the sake of fighting it out.

As for the tablet zing…

I use my galaxy tablet to stream video. Not through the ‘web’ but through apps. Plus I loaded a bunch of movies that I can watch without any internet for road trips.
    My S.O. use it for games…a lot of games……

Maybe iPad are only good as a web browser?

• TrustAvidity says:

“Maybe iPad are only good as a web browser?”

That’s what I was thinking. I’m getting a lot of great use out of my non-iOS tablet with custom ROMs and personalizing the interface. Also, I generally have my user agent in my browser set to desktop anyway.

• SharkD says:

Why?

Why encourage patent trolling?

As for Apple v. Samsung (678 F.3d 1314 (2012)), I don’t see how anyone can believe that Samsung didn’t blatantly copy Apple’s UI and industrial design after looking at the 100+ page PowerPoint, produced by Samsung, in which they compared their phones to Apple’s.

In almost every instance, the recommendation in the PowerPoint was: copy what Apple did.

• mgchan says:

just because the ipad is dominating in web browsing doesn’t mean that it’s not also being used to watch movies through separate apps and games. the ipad could be using 91% of the traffic in netflix viewing and game playing also.

apple is presumably already paying someone for the rights to use LTE. I don’t think samsung invented LTE nor invented the use of cellular technologies in cellular phones.

3. TrustAvidity says:

That looks just like previous iPhones! Any chance Apple will sue themselves?!

4. MrMongerty says:

I was hoping for an innovation on par with the front facing camera, at least. It seems like they just did small upgrades to everything, and played it safe (unless there is something they are hiding)

5. rambo76098 says:

Chris – Overwhelming majority of the country does not have access to LTE? You’d say 25% of the population is the overwhelming majority??

How about a little fact checking now and then:

• rambo76098 says:

For good measure:

“Verizon’s LTE network currently covers 75 percent of the U.S. population, around 235 million POPs, and the carrier plans to hit 260 million POPs by year-end.”

• HappyPig says:

From the same article:
      “According to ABI Research, during the first quarter of 2012 only 5.6 percent of U.S. subscribers were on a 4G network.”

Sounds like they’re not accessing a 4G network.

• who? says:

I live in one of the areas where 100% of the population has access to LTE, via two different carriers. 3/4 of the phones in the stores are still 3G phones. I have no idea why. I’ve had a LTE phone for the last year, and 3G phones are just *painful* to use.

• tuxman2 says:

Care to share what you need so much bandwidth for? Don’t say Facbook or Netflix because those apps don’t require LTE.

It’s a smartphone, not a server or workstation.

Seriously, tell us what apps require more than 3mbps of bandwidth?

6. AzCatz07 says:

They changed the freaking connector??? How obnoxious! I don’t use apple phones but I have an iPod that my car can conveniently attach to and control. I swear that when my iPod finally kicks I’m never buying another Apple product.

• Actionable Mango says:

I see. And which company will you change to that has never changed their connector?

• cyberpenguin says:

It’s not just that they’re changing their connector. They’re ignoring the industry standard micro USB opting for a patented proprietary connector that, at the current time, only Apple (TM) can legally make and sell peripherals for.

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish… wait… that was some other company’s slogan…

• Anachronism says:

That misses the point, I think. The overwhelming majority of phone manufacturers agreed to switch to the mini-USB connector standard the better part of a decade ago at the request of the EU and concerns about both customers having to pay $50 for a proprietary charger manufactured for $1, and the resulting landfill waste from chargers that only work with one phone.

A few years ago, the industry agreed to move to the Micro-USB standard (which I strongly dislike- It seems the cable connectors break all the time, compared with no problems with the Mini-usb ones, but I digress). So yeah, phone connectors have changed, but from one uniform standard to another. Which means that every modern rechargeable electronic device in my house (which is about 15 or so) can charge from a grand total of 2 cables.

Apple has gone from one proprietary cable to another proprietary cable. Actually, they have been through three, because when they used the 30 pin connector, at some point they decided to change the standard from Firewire to USB, and ALL charges using a firewire 30 pin connector no longer charged new Apple Devices.

To me, the questions here are 1) is there some legitimate reason why the Micro-USB standard doesn’t suit Apple aside from getting to spend more money on cables? 2) is there something that changing the connecter accomplishes for apple that they couldn’t do with the previous connector (that the Micro-USB connector that works for every one of Apple’s competitors doesn’t do as well?)

• who? says:

Exactly, exactly, exactly. I have more than the average number of mobile devices in my house, because part of my job involves working with mobile devices. Every single one of them uses micro USB, except for the iDevices. Going to a new adapter that isn’t micro-USB is just arrogance on Apple’s part.

• Costner says:

As much as I would love to pick on Apple a bit for the connector, I really do think the new one is vastly superior to the alternatives. For instance it can be inserted in either direction which is something you can’t do with the existing 30 pin nor can you do this with a micro-USB (or mini-USB or full size USB for that matter).

This may not seem like a huge issue, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve tried to hook up my iPad to the charger in the dark and ended up fiddling with it for a while only to realize I had the connector upside down. A double sided connector would be pretty sweet.

Also, as far as attachments, micro-USB just doesn’t work as well. My current Droid X connects to a docking station but the connection has to be aligned just right and you really have to push to make it work. The micro-USB connectors are prone to failure because they have a weak point, and in the dark they can sometimes be frustrating to align (I can’t begin to count the number of times I have tried to insert my charger into the HDMI port on my phone by accident).

I also had an experience where I grabbed a charger for a trip, but when I got there I discovered I had packed a mini-USB rather than a micro-USB. They look so similar that I was half way across the country with the wrong charger. At least with an Apple lightning connector it will be unique and I wouldn’t make that mistake.

We all know Chinese factories will be pumping out fakes of these chargers and cables within a few weeks, so it shouldn’t be much of a problem. What sort of does bother me is that I stocked up on 30 pin cables for my iPad which will now be useless since they won’t work with the new lightning without an adapter. Oh well… just another reason for people to upgrade when the next version of the iPad comes out right? :)

All of this said – I don’t really see any innovation in this phone. A Samsung Galaxy S III has all of this, plus NFC, plus higher resolution, plus much more. The iPhone has iOS… beyond that there isn’t anything that really suggests to me it is unique. I’d like to have iOS because it would work so well with my existing iPad (cloud storage etc), but I must say I’m a bit disappointed with the phone itself. Samsung must be laughing – because Apple is putting out their latest “flagship” which doesn’t even match the specs of a six month old Samsung.

• tooki says:

I have a strong suspicion that it has nothing at all to do with arrogance and all to do with connector design. The micro-USB connector is terrible. I don’t think it can handle the wear and tear of being constantly connected not only for charging, but also for sync, and above all for docking. (Ever tried to dock a device that uses a mini or micro USB connector in the dock? It’s awful.)

Also, I am certain that the new connector will be used on the next iPad, too — and the iPad’s power draw while charging is 4 times that of an iPhone (which uses the maximum allowed by standard USB). It’s possible that micro-USB cannot handle the current required to charge an iPad.

Besides, the EU agreement didn’t specify that micro-USB had to be implemented directly; an adapter is acceptable. And that’s exactly what Apple did in the iPhone.

• AzCatz07 says:

My devices all use USB. But keep buying that Apple crap.

• fantomesq says:

They make an adapter… you can still use your car connection.

• mgchan says:

that’s why i stopped buying phones in general. all of them kept changing and i couldn’t plug into my phone jack any more.

7. msbaskx2 says:

The one thing that fascinates me about the iPhone is the screen. It’s just so pretty. Boyfriend has version 4 and the Family Feud screens are just beautiful. I don’t see how it could have gotten better.

• Blueskylaw says:

So we can assume there won’t be an iPhone6
      since they have apparently achieved perfection?

• ecuador says:

You are saying that because you have not seen a Super AMOLED screen (e.g. Nokia N9). Am I right? Anyone who sees my N9 next to my iPhone 4 is surprised at how unexpectedly lame the iPhone screen looks in comparison…

8. dush says:

I’m surprised this site considers HSPA+ to be a 4G network.

• who? says:

I’m surprised anyone considers HSPA+ to be 4G. It’s maybe 3G+. Maybe.

• Weekilter says:

Well, evidently you don’t follow tech. HSPA+ is considered a 4G technology. The ITU even said so. If you believe differently that’s for you to deal with.

9. CountryJustice says:

What’s more, Cook says that iPads account for 91% of web traffic from tablets.

Or, to put it another way: “91% of web traffic from tablets rests solely on the part of iPad users herp-derping their way around the internet on an iPad.”

• tralfaz says:

As an iPad owner, I can break down my iPad time usage as follows:
      • 50% web surfing
      • 25% productivity work
      • 15% games (online or single player)
      • 10% driving my cats absolutely freakin’ nuts with Cat Piano or Dog Piano

10. CountryJustice says:

Also: “Here’s a whole new connection system. Not because our patent on the 30-pin construction ran out, oh no. Because LIGHTNING!”

• cyberpenguin says:

Surprisingly… Lightning is patented as well. Since Apple has decided that no company is worthy of licensing the Lightning design, all iPhone5 owners will be protected by the fact that only Apple can legally manufacture and sell peripherals.

That way you can be assured of the Apple Experience in every aspect of the phone from your Earpods to your officially manufactured chargers and docks.

I don’t know why the auto industry hasn’t taken this approach before. Everyone would be much happier if there weren’t all those after-market parts and everyone had to buy parts, tires, oil and gas straight from the dealerships.

• fantomesq says:

Because the patent ran out?!? US patents are for 17 or 20 years… not hardly ran out…

• who? says:

I don’t know if the patent on the connector ran out or not, but….the time on a patent is based on when the patent is originally filed, not when a working product is finally shipped. There are a lot of cases when someone will get much less than 20 years of profitable life out of a patent, because someone will invent something, then it will take several years for someone to figure out how to manufacture or sell the thing profitably.

Thinking back….the original iPod from 2001 had the 30-pin connector. The iPod itself was probably in development for 2-3 years before it shipped. It’s completely feasible that the 30 pin connector is going to go off patent in the next couple of years.

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

Thinking back….the original iPod from 2001 had the 30-pin connector.

Actually, the first iPods had a Firewire connector. It was only the 3rd Gen (and the iPod mini that came out along with it) that introduced that 30-pin connector. If you don’t believe me, look it up.

11. BlkSwanPres says:

The screen is old news now, any nice phone has a comparable screen.

12. mikedt says:

I’m ready for the upgrade of my my iphone 4 and thought the improvements somewhat lackluster. Other than the slightly bigger screen, nothing in the presentation shouted BUY ME to me. It’s not bad enough to make me disregard all my app purchases and run to an android phone, but it’s also not enough of an improvement to get me to upgrade.

I may have to wait for next summer’s iPhone 5S.

13. deathbecomesme says:

It has a “5” next to it’s name. That means it’s better right? Cuz 5 is more than 4!

14. Geekybiker says:

The a15 based A6 SOC is actually a really big deal. Its a large leap in performance efficiency unlike the incremental improvements we’ve been seeing for awhile. I’m an android user, but this makes it far and away the best cell phone available right now.

15. shinseiromeo says:

Actually not one shit was given today.

First, it is NOT the 5th phone, it’s the iPhone 6. Why do you think the A5 is now the A6?

The screen is bigger and it has 4G… so what? Most people use wifi and the 2mm taller means squat. It’s thinner? Who cares, cases. The camera is the same as well, so why is Apple even bothering at this point?

• who? says:

You clearly don’t have 4G. Even if there’s nothing else new about the phone, it would be worth it to upgrade just to get LTE.

• luxosaucer13 says:

People have been able to get LTE from some Android and Windows Phone devices for a while now. The “Fisher Price: My First Smartphone” company comes out with an LTE device and, all of a sudden, LTE is a big deal? Gimme a break!

If they’re not willing to look past a shiny case and fruit logo, iIdiots deserve their iDevices.

16. dush says:

Surprisingly there was no mention of call clarity. Is this even a good telephone??

• MrMongerty says:

Who uses an iPhone to make calls?

• mgchan says:

i only read the liveblogs but they mentioned noise cancellation both on speaking and receiving end. I’m guessing that qualifies as “call clarity”?

• mikedt says:

one of the live blogs said apple talked about making the fidelity of the call better

“…with some carriers, the iPhone 5 will support wideband audio. In a typical cell phone call, the frequency of data in your voice is compressed around the midrange, Schiler said. But that doesn’t sounded entirely natural. Wideband audio fills up more of the frequency spectrum to make your voice sound more normal. Schiller said 20 carriers will support the technology at launch, and didn’t mention any U.S. carriers that would. “

• Blueskylaw says:

Who buys an iPhone to actually use it?
      You might scratch it if you attempt such nonsense.

• nosaints_alive says:

I hate to admit it in public but I use an iPhone 4s , Can you tell by how it makes sure I spell it’s name right ? I’m not impressed by the changes and it wouldn’t be enough for me to spend the money . Apple knows a lot of people will spend it ! People will buy the iPhone 4’s & 4S phones that get sold from those who upgrade,Ah I love consumerism today.

• Costner says:

Sure there was – they mentioned three mics with some type of noise cancellation, as well as more magnets on the speaker driver or something to the effect. Basically it should sound better and people should be able to hear you better… but yes it was mentioned.

Of course we need to wait until the phones are in the real world to see if reality lives up to the hype. I do find the humor in the fact that when you look at a comparison chart, the only spec that the new iPhone really “wins” is the thinness. Everything else they offer from pixel density to screen size to speed to memory to price to storage capacity is merely playing catch-up to what several Android phones are already offering. Plus we still don’t get a micro-SD card slot to increase memory and they ignored NFC.

I just don’t see the “wow” factor of previous phones. Where is the innovation? They aren’t leading anything… they are following. Is this the beginning of the end?

17. NorthAlabama says:

yawn. i’ll save my $500 and wait 3 months for the next, newest, bestest model.

18. SerenityDan says:

Why do they refuse to make one with more than 64gb? I’d like to have one and be able to fit everything I have to iTunes on it (which right now is over 64 gigs just in music) so I wouldn’t need to carry this and an iPod. Until then I’m not going to shell out bug bucks for a phone.

• mikedt says:

Probably because they don’t think there’s much of a market for a $500-$600 128gb cell phone. And to be honest they’re probably right. I have almost a terabyte in legal aac format music and wouldn’t be willing to shell out the dough, nor see the need, to carry my entire collection around with me.
      What I do is set up a playlist that syncs 24mb of random entire albums over to my iphone.

• who? says:

Using current technology, there aren’t any any cheap solid state drives available in that teeny, tiny form factor that are bigger than 64GB. Apple doesn’t really push the envelope on technology. Their skill is in taking existing technology and packaging it really well.

The honest to god truth is that the device manufacturers are going the other way, and not producing devices with big drives. 8GB and 16GB is the sweet spot in the market right now. The manufacturers are expecting everything to go to the cloud, and you won’t need a big drive on your device. I’m not sure I agree with that, but that’s what the Apples and Googles of the world are thinking.

• mikedt says:

I love this whole “cloud” idea. Move everything out to the cloud. Oh yeah, by the way we’ve raised your data rates and/or capped your monthly allotment. Maybe somebody needs to make a smartphone with a hd, a 1.8″ 240gb hd can be had for $150.

• who? says:

Totally. Besides the fact that I wear a tin-foil hat and don’t want to put a bunch my personal stuff online, there’s the cost, both to store the data on a server somewhere, and for the gnomes to run it back and forth on the interwebz between the cloud and me. If I put the amount of data I have *now* up in the cloud somewhere, it would cost me an extra $20-30 a month to store it and move pieces of it around occasionally. Imagine what the cost will be in 5 or 10 years, when the amount of data I have has doubled a few times.

In the meantime, hard drives just keep getting cheaper.

• Costner says:

Because the industry has realized even the 64GB models don’t sell very well. People opt for the 16GB and 32GB models while the 64GB stagnate on the shelves.

You are a rarity if you have that much content which you must have on your phone, and with the cloud there is even less of a reason to pack so much content on the phone. You seriously need that much music on your phone? I’d bet in excess of 96% of people who have that much music only listen to a fraction of it, so in the real world this isn’t a huge issue for most people.

People like to brag about the size of their music collections, but that is sort of like someone bragging that their car can travel 200mph. Sure that is nice on paper, but when in real life can you actually utilize it? To the rest of us, 10-15GB of music is more than enough, and a car capable of hitting 85 will probably serve our needs just fine. Companies offer what customers demand – and customers don’t demand more than 64GB.

• Costner says:

I should note if you are the owner of a DeLorean, you would probably be very upset if your car couldn’t hit 88mph, so let’s round up and say 90 should suffice for 99% of the population.

19. 20%er says:

meh… the 5th iphone was the 4s. sadly since Apple has succumb to sheeple in naming the 6th iphone i will just stick with the 4th iphone the iphone4.

20. Mocha says:

Haha…good one.

21. Chris Long says:

I don’t get the media frenzy every a new damned phone is released….

Why should I care ?

22. JonBoy470 says:

So I think the biggest disappointment, in as much as there was disappointment, was that there wasn’t any unexpected features this time around. In the past, even when details leaked out ahead of time, there was still some new surprise feature people didn’t see coming. This time around, all the major new features were were either leaked prior to the announcement (e.g. case design, taller screen, new dock connector), or were mind-numbingly obvious (cough, LTE).

It is interesting to note that Apple apparently matched or improved the battery life relative to the 4S, while including LTE and shrinking the phone’s weight and volume by ~20% compared to the 4S. This is an interesting contrast to the Android phones, which have grown significantly in size as they have gained LTE. Sure, they grew to accommodate massive 4.8″ Super AMOLED screens (cough, Galaxy S3) but that same accommodation conveniently masks the massive batteries these phones are carrying to get remotely decent battery life (Cough, RAZR Maxx, Galaxy S3 again). I have to give the nod to Apple for better implementation.

23. RayanneGraff says:

I can’t wait for all the lawsuits that are sure to be filed against every company that’s ever made a phone with a 4 inch screen. Can’t forget LTE either. That’s THEIR technology now!

24. Duffin (Ain't This Kitty Cute?) says:

In other words…no. No, there’s nothing “special” about it. Thanks, guys!

25. cantiloon says:

I was hoping it would have that projection keyboard from the youtube video. Oh, well.

Has anyone done a study on the rampant Apple butthurt? It’s really interesting how people so adamantly hate them, yet most people who own iPhones don’t seem to really care what other devices people prefer either way. It’s like some weird club.

• oatmealpacket says:

The people who express adamant hate over consumer electronics represent a vocal and very, very small minority you’ll only see online. The majority of people who own iPhones are normal people who couldn’t care less what electronics other people use.

26. IndyJaws says:

Having followed the rumors for the past few months, nothing came out that wasn’t already predicted. I am a bit disappointed the screen is not larger, but pleased for the extra processing power. Not an Apple fanboi (all computers at home are Windows), but have been pleased with the overall build quality of my two previous iPhone models (3G and 4). Yep, I’ll upgrade, but will be able to sell my iPhone 4 so there will be no out-of-pocket expense.

27. nodaybuttoday says:

I know there is a lot of hate for Apple but I’ve found their customer service to be phenomenal. I shattered my iPhone screen and they replaced it for free with a brand new one even though my warranty was up. It definitely made me a loyalist (especially since I work in advertising and work with apple products all day).

28. MikeHerbst says:

Can someone clarify for me the possibility of using one of the three iPhone5 skus on T-Mobile NOW (i.e. prior to completion of any spectrum re-farming that may be ongoing)?

I’ve seen conflicting reports and the breakdown of supported spectra and protocol for each sku seems to indicate that someone (like say, my wife) wanting to buy an unlocked iP5 and use it on T-Mo would still be SOL for high-speed data.

• MikeHerbst says:

OK, looks like I’ve been able to answer this for myself. Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooo. J/k. The problem seems to continue to be 1700MHz. The new iPhone supports Band4 for LTE, but not for HSPA/HSPA+. T-Mo is still using 1700/2100 MHz for its HSPA/+ until it completes the refarm. (So far, only three major markets)

So there you go.

29. tooki says:

Oh my god the stupidity of most of these comments is making my brain hurt.