Dad Claims Six Flags Halloween Character Went Too Far By Bursting From Portable Toilet & Chasing Daughter

I used to have a recurring nightmare where a person dressed in a giant dog suit was pursuing me down the aisles of the convenience store near where my grandmother lived, and let me tell you, it was horrifying. So the thought of a Halloween character at a theme park chasing a girl through Six Flags Great America? Well, I can understand how that might be upsetting. It’s scary enough that the girl’s father is now suing the theme park.

WBBM Chicago reports that the man and his young daughter (her age hasn’t been revealed) were visiting the park last year during the annual Fright Fest Halloween activities. He claims a character jumped out of a port-a-potty (anyone popping unexpectedly out of a portable toilet would be terrible), scaring his daughter while squirting her with a squirt gun.

The dad says that in her haste to get away from the frightening character, she ran and fell, and got bruised and scraped as a result. He says the park encourages employees to scare and chase park goers without taking into consideration all the things visitors could trip on as they flee wildly from danger.

A Great America spokeswoman wouldn’t comment, only saying: “However, I can assure you that the safety and well-being of our guests and employees is our top priority.”

It’s all about context: On one hand, it’s a Halloween event — one might think a bit of scary stuff is going to happen. But on the other hand, most of the scaring usually happens in haunted houses or on themed rides, and doesn’t involve your run-of-the-mill portable toilet. Except of course for all the normal fears associated with entering one of those vile structures.

Lawsuit: Girl Tripped At Great America As Halloween Character Chased Her [CBS Chicago]

Comments

1. Jaynor says:

The whole deal with fright fest is that the creatures come out of the rides and are with you in the park. The characters walk around amongst the patrons… sometimes with chainless chainsaws and other props. One ogre followed me 1/4 around the park one year… it was awesome.

2. Jaynor says:

Also – insert obligatory joke about bursting and porta-potty here.

3. MaxH42 needs an edit button says:

I was sympathetic when I read the headline, but they totally lost me at “Fright Fest”. People in costume jumping out at you is pretty much what differentiates Fright Night or Fright Fest from every other day at the park, although personally I really don’t understand the attraction of those things.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

I concur. If this was a normal day at 6F, then sure…sue them. But the whole point of this special event you went to was to be “scared” by “monsters running around.”

Ergo, STFU and GTFO.

• RogueStomper says:

Bingo. Well said

• Nicolaus99 says:

Amen. Gold digger lawsuit nuts like this guy are one of the reasons why we just can’t have nice things.

Bring kid to Frightfest, kid gets scared (well duh) and gets a widdle boo boo, sue, profit?

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Shoudn’t there be at least SOME boundries, like a toilet. How about an area that scared people can rest for the carnage? Maybe you find it’s too much and want to leave, but can’t because out of fear that a scary dog might pop out of ANYWHERE, even the bathroom, so you are frozen in fear.

Just a thought.

• Barry Bunch O'Krunch says:

Eh, I think people should know their limits. If they get so paranoid or frightened by anything that they need to take an occasional break, they should know better than to attend an event like this.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Never been, so I have no idea if I would or not. Like a dog jumping out of a porto-potty, it would be a complete surprise to me.

• samonela says:

Like an Acid Freak Out Tent at a Pink Floyd concert?

I like the cut of your jib!

• MikeHerbst says:

Not sure how this one is run, but the traditional “Knotts Scary Farm” in SoCal has clearly defined “scare zones”. There are usually multiple ways to traverse the park, and some are “scare free”. That said, they’re not oft used, since these events happen specifically after sundown and the whole point is that people are going to jump out at you.

• randomneko says:

During frightfest is not the whole park classified as the haunted house? the only time i would be a little miffed is when i am eating. The food in there is horrendously expensive and dropping it out of fright would be annoying.

4. BrownLeopard says:

…oh no, poor little Honey Boo Boo got scared.

IT’S FRIGHT FEST. This dude needs slapped. Hard.

REAL hard.

When my daughter is older I’m taking her to one of these. If she falls and gets a boo-boo we’ll clean it up, put a band-aid on it and I’ll tell her to swing for the crotch next time. Parents like this is why the rest of us can’t have a good time. He needs to quit looking for a quick payday.

5. cyberpenguin says:

Great. Now they’ll cancel Knott’s Scary Farm for fear of copycat lawsuits.

6. klobbersaurus685 says:

Between this story and the hooters receipt story I’ve decided anytime I am offended or feel in anyway I have been harmed I am going to sue.
    Some of you commentors may want to watch out, there’s alot of what you type that hurts my feelings and makes me fearful of using other websites. I’m afraid I’m going to have to sue. Sorry.

7. Rocinante says:

What part of “Fright Fest Halloween activities” did this guy not understand? Don’t take any children under five to this kind of event if they cannot handle it.

8. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I read this as “bursting a portable toilet” etc. That gave me an odd mental picture, so then I reread the headline correctly. Not as interesting, but still.

I have to say if this happened to me, as an adult, and it was a clown that did this, I’d probably hurt myself getting away, too. I’m terrified of clowns.

9. dolemite says:

I’m not sure about Six Flags, but at other parks they tell you that characters will be roaming and you should expect scares. If you don’t like it, don’t go to the park. She fell and got a few scrapes? Did he push her down? Well, looks like it’s her own fault then.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

There need some boundries in place, and the toilet is one of them.

• dolemite says:

He should have reversed his strategy…scare them while they are ON the toilet. That would assist the process and move the lines along faster.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

They should come up through the toilet just before the patron does his bizness. Now THAT would be funny!

Anybody remember those rubber monsters you could put inside a toilet and fasten to the lid so it would pop up when the lid was lifted? I wonder how many kids were scarred for life by that one.

• speaky2k says:

I wasn’t at a 6F Haunted Park in years, but the ones I have been to recently all have only the normal toilets that are available during the normal operating season open and no portable toilets anywhere. I have a feeling that this portable toilet was a prop, possibly a non-working unit (missing internal parts including door lock?), to be used to hide someone just for the purpose of scarring people.

• cigsm says:

Maybe Six Flags should sue for the precious little snowflake getting a drop or two of blood on their sidewalk.

10. BigDragon says:

Great. This ONE person is going to ruin Halloween events at amusement parks for ALL OF US. They don’t seem to understand that Fright Fest is supposed to be frightening! THAT’S THE WHOLE POINT! If you don’t like it then don’t go to a crappy Six Flags park during Halloween. You have the rest of the year to visit instead!

I hate Six Flags, but I will absolutely defend their Halloween program because the other parks I go to have similar Halloween events. Slip and fall helicopter daddy needs to withdraw his lawsuit and publicly apologize to everyone who enjoys these sorts of Halloween activities. What a ridiculous lawsuit!

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

As I say below, even if that is true, there need some boundries in place, and that is one of them.

• JenK says:

Why should a portable toilet be a boundary? The point is to be scared. I was at a halloween fright fest last year and a toilet sprayed at me, I got covered in (what I hope was) water. I laughed and moved on with my life.

Also, kids are always covered with scrapes and bruises. That’s hardly a reason to sue.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

“Why should a portable toilet be a boundary?”

Because that’s how many people feel? I kind of want to shit in peace, privately, and without interruption. That’s can be a sensitive location for some, especially if they have digestion issues.

In society, the bathroom is general considered a private place, where you do a private act. Not necessarily the location of choice for humor or ridicule.

• BigDragon says:

The only part about boundaries that I agree with is that the scaring should stay confined to the park property. Popping out of a portable toilet doesn’t doesn’t make me think they should be off limits. It makes me wonder why one of the world’s top amusement park operators was too cheap to install a brick and mortar restroom and keep it operating.

• StarKillerX says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a portable toilet at a 6F park so I suspect that maybe it was just there as a hiding place for characters.

11. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

My first thought was, if the park is being advertised as being scary EVERYWHERE, and not just the rides, and that parkgoers could be scared throughout the park, that this might be okay.

But then I think to myself, it’s a fucking portable toilet. There need some boundries in place, and that is one of them.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

So you believe that if this character had jumped out from any other place, say like the bushes or from behind a trashcan, and the same thing had happened the guy would be totally OK with it? The difference here is the fact that a portable toilet was involved?

Because I’m not reading the article that way.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

It’s a good point you make. I guess I don’t know if it’s a sueable offense, but it was still inappropriate to put employees in portable toilets.

Part of the suit, however, does claim that employees are chasing patrons while tripping hazards exist. That might have merit right there, in addition to an inappropriate behavior.

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

It’s been a couple of years (last time was in 2009), but every time I’ve been to this 6F, they’ve only had the regular toilets – never any portables. It sounds like this may be a case where the portable toilet was actually a prop, specifically for an employee to pop out of.
          So, if that were the case, would that impact your stance? Or do you then feel it’s an inappropriate prop because it blurs the line?

• chefboyardee says:

It’s widely known that employees are chasing patrons. Logically, the park is full of tripping hazard, as that encompasses just about anything. My guess is that there’s some kind of waiver contract going on when you buy a ticket that says “hey, you’re probably going to be chased by something.” And even if not, it’s common sense.

I ran one of those mud runs this past weekend (tough mudder) and I got scraped and bruised all to hell. You don’t see me suing them because…well, I knew what I was getting into when I paid and entered.

• andsowouldi says:

The whole idea of scaring someone without a real threat of danger is surprise. All spots that might surprise someone are fair game IMO. I could see being upset if someone tried to scare you when you were in the actual restroom, but not someone popping out of a portable restroom.

I will admit your argument, “it’s a fucking portable toilet,” is very convincing though. It’s a fucking bush! It’s a fucking vending machine! It’s a fucking golf cart! Hm, these all meet the requirements of your argument so they should all be off limits too.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Nice non-retort there.

You really didn’t address my idea of a boundry. Like when people are attemping the normal bolidy function of expelling waste.

[Insert additional non-retort about how sex is a normal bodily function, too. So Clever!]

• HogwartsProfessor says:

If the portable toilet was just a prop, outside, on the grounds, and the employee popped out of it, then he/she wasn’t in the bathroom per se. From the sound of it, that’s probably what happened. These places usually have actual bathrooms because they are stationary, not like a traveling carnival. If they are simply walking past a prop toilet, that is NOT crossing that boundary.

I am thinking that unless there was a waiver of some kind, he might have grounds for small compensation for her–minor, from the sound of it–injuries. But not $30,000. This is small claims at best.

• wastedlife says:

But they aren’t popping out when people are trying to go to the bathroom, which would be pushing a boundary. They popped out of a portable toilet to scare passers-by. Plus, the person is suing because his daughter tripped and scraped her knees, the portable toilet just seems to be incidental.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

That would be different, definitely, if you’re simply walking by a fake toilet and they pop out – I’ve been seeing this as they were attemping to enter a portable toilet to use it.

My point is if someone needs to use the facilities, leave ‘em alone.

• andsowouldi says:

“when people are attemping the normal bolidy function of expelling waste” – That’s the argument I would have liked you to state rather than throwing the word “fucking” before a noun and expecting us to make the same (incorrect IMO) assumption as you as to what the object was being used for.

• Kuri says:

And then people like the guy in the article push for further and further boundaries until it gets to where they should just called it Monday.

12. deathbecomesme says:

I would pay extra for them to run after all those brats lol.

13. Sarah of Get Cooking says:

I read this as the character burst INTO the porta-potty, to chase the girl. Now THAT would have been really out of line.

14. Raynagh says:

She was going into a portable toilet..I mean how much more scary could it be????

15. Aliciaz777 says:

My dad would’ve done the complete opposite. Hell, he probably would’ve joined the employee in chasing me around lol. (When my dad and I went to Universal Studios when I was 10, we were on the King Kong ride and he told me King Kong always grabs someone from the ride and holds them in the air. We got seated in the front row of the cart and when we turned the corner and saw King Kong on a building waving his arm towards the cart, I freaked and screamed bloody murder. My dad laughed his ass off at me).

So yea, the dad here needs to stop looking for a quick payday. As others have said, he’s going to ruin Halloween events at other places for the rest of us. Put a band aid on your precious snowflake’s wittle boo boo and grow the hell up.

16. El_Fez says:

You know who should be suing? The poor bastard who had to hang out in the portapotty IN A FURRY COSTUME for half an hour waiting to scare some kid? Now *THAT* is some trauma!

17. ospreyguy says:

Most of these places have a 13+ age warning. Universal in Orlando does and even as an adult they scared the turds right out of me. It’s all about context. Were this the Disney “Not so Scary Halloween” then yeah. But Six Flags even calls the thing a Fright Fest… Sorry you got frightened.

18. Ace says:

Did I miss a month? Is it already the end of October? I could have sworn that September just started…

19. El_Fez says:

Also, from TFA:

The one-count suit seeks $30,000 in damages

30 grand for a skinned knee? Are you out of your fucking mind?!?

• Not Given says:

Well, he does have to pay the therapy bill where little snowflake sobs about the time daddy made her go to fright fest so he could get 6F to give him money.

20. Outrun1986 says:

Most of the parks that do fright fest have a children’s area for a reason with non scary characters, and six flags specifically does not put scary characters in the children’s area. So there is a place for young kids who get too scared to go. If this child was too young they should have stayed in the kids area most of the time, it sounds like this kid was young enough to ride the kiddie rides from the article.

If this did indeed happen in the children’s area of the park then I might have something to say about it.

If it was too much for the kid regardless of age then the parent should not have taken the kid, most of these events have plenty of warnings and age specific guidelines so there is plenty of information out there to make an informed decision.

Last time I checked most of these parks don’t use portable toilets, they have restroom buildings, so I don’t think there is a real, usable portable restroom at any Six Flags park. Come to think of it I don’t think I have seen a portable restroom at any sizeable park. It seems to me this restroom was a prop intended for use as a prop.

21. longfeltwant says:

“during the annual Fright Fest Halloween activities”

Frivolous.

22. nicoleintrovert says:

I choose NOT to go to these things because I don’t know how I will react. I am terrified that I would have a natural reaction to kick or punch anyone who came at me in an aggressive way… so I just steer clear of theme parks in the fall.

• iesika says:

Same here. I got in trouble twice in school as a kid when this happened – someone jumped out at me and screamed in my face to scare me and I punched them in the face or shoved them over a desk. I’ve smacked a few friends who were playing around, though never really injured anyone (they always learn their lesson and don’t try again, at least). It happens like a reflex.

23. DanKelley98 says:

I received the credit and redeemed it very easily this morning. Apology accepted, GoDaddy.

Thank you for one month of hosting on you.

24. DanKelley98 says:

Whoops…don’t know how my comment above made it to this story…..I hadn’t even read this story yet…weirdness…

25. BMR777 says:

Considering that the guy just jumped out of a porta-potty I really hope it was just water in the squirt gun. Otherwise the lawsuit might be wayyy more interesting.

Why does Six Flags need porta-potties anyway? I’ve been to Great America and never seen them there before.

26. Captain Walker says:

When I was a kid and got a bruise and a scrape, you know what I got when I sued those places?

27. Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

I value my time in the privy, so if someone surprises me as I plan to go about my business, he should be the one running away.

28. Easter Love says:

Good for them. Sue them. Sue them some more. Keep suing them until you get tired of suing them, then take a nap. I don’t care if it’s justified or not – it’s a good way to make some easy money. Six Flags takes in about a billion dollars a year. They won’t even blink at paying out a few thousand for a scraped knee.

29. Caddyshack says:

“she ran and fell, and got bruised and scraped”

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww poor little boo-boo. I am guessing this is a city-girl that’s never played outside?

30. 4REALB says:

The only wrongdoing in this situation is that this guy was allowed to become biologically successful.

• pamelad says:

Would you really call the guy biologically successful? Well, I guess he managed to procreate, but think of the little monster he is rearing by example. Hope the poor kid turns out okay, and I don’t mean her apparently minor scrapes and bruises.

31. JenK says:

At least we know who married (and had children with) the woman who sued because her coffee was too hot.

• who? says:

In the coffee woman’s defense, she had serious burns, and the coffee was actually nuclear reaction hot.

But this? Dad and kid go to an amusement park on Halloween. Kid gets scared by someone in costume, runs, falls down, and skins her knee. She cries a little, then goes home and mom puts a bandaid on it. She would never have remembered it a week later if Dad hadn’t made such a big fuss. Also, most of Six Flags is really meant for an older audience. If she was young enough to be traumatized by a furry coming out of a potty, Dad should have kept her in the little kids area. Or kept her at home.

32. Olegamma says:

Perhaps the park should counter sue for child endangerment and emotional trauma their staff. Depositions are traumatic! If more companies would counter sue a lot of this bs would stop

33. Bob A Dobalina says:

“I can assure you that the safety and well-being of our guests and employees is our top priority.”

We seem to be hearing companies spew this line a lot lately

“The FAA determined your airline’s plane just crashed and killed 237 people because you cheaped out on fuel”

“83 people died from your tainted lettuce”

“I paid you Geek Squad $750 to fix this PC and now it won’t even power up.”

34. RayanneGraff says:

Oh my god, cry me a river. The guy takes his kid to FRIGHT FEST & now wants to sue cause she got scared, fell, and got a scrape? And even though it happened last year, all of sudden NOW he wants to sue??? Am I reading this correctly or is there something retarded in my eye? I swear, I hate America.

35. Duffin (Ain't This Kitty Cute?) says:

Uh…you took your kid to a place where there will be people trying to scare you and…you’re surprised when they try to scare people? If your child can’t handle getting frightened, perhaps you shouldn’t have taken her? I feel stupid just saying this because it’s such common sense. Does no one take responsibility for their own actions anymore? Does it ALWAYS have to be someone /else’s/ fault now?

36. Harry Greek says:

Next thing you know, people will be suing food providers and holding them responsible for being overwei,… oh – never mind.

37. nodaybuttoday says:

If you have EVER been to Fright Fest you know that there are characters EVERYWHERE. They are walking around on the walk ways, in the grass areas, around rides. There is a reason it’s called FRIGHT fest and honestly I don’t know if it’s even appropriate to bring some young children, though she chould be 15 for all we know.

And boo hoo, she got bruised and scraped, kids trip and get scraped all of the time. You can’t sue everyone around when you trip and get a boo-boo.

38. soj4life says:

I actually like when places put more scare into these kind of events, the enjoyment from freightfest is from that authentic feeling of danger. If you don’t like to be scared around harvest time, then go a farm during the day.