Comment Of The Day: Won't Someone Think Of The Big Box Stores?

Harry Greek: You know, it’s times like this, that I realize we need a president that stands up for the abused businesses.

We need someone who will put scum like the OP away, for good.

How DARE they attack Walmart?!?! They are abusing the good nature[d] job creators of the United States of ‘Merica!!

Seen an especially funny, insightful, or useful comment? Nominate it for Comment of the Day by sending it to laura@consumerist.com by e-mail or Google Chat.

Comments

1. Kaonashi says:

I’m tempted to say that people are idiots but it comes down to there being a double standard. People love competition and the fact that companies compete to sell at lower prices but they hate the big chains like Walmart and Home Depot that have driven local businesses out of business. The fact of the matter is that these companies can offer cheaper prices so they’re going to succeed, criticize them for their unethical behavior but the hypocrisy just makes these people look stupid.

• MarkFL says:

FYI: In the past 10 years I have spent a grand total of 75¢ at Wal-Mart. (Needed cash to repair a flat tire, so I walked to Wal-Mart, bought a newspaper and got cash back.) So while one may disagree with my feeling about Wal-Mart, you can’t say I’m not walking the walk.

• MaxH42 needs an edit button says:

I haven’t set foot inside one for at least 10 years, since I started reading about their treatment of their front-line employees and how they drove out locally owned businesses. I go out of my way to go to the two locally owned hardware stores rather than the Home Despot — they’re quieter, the service is better, and the staff are much more knowledgeable.

• StarKillerX says:

Well you two are in the minority then because most will be whine and complain about Walmart putting small stores out of business and then do 100% of their shopping at Walmart because the prices are better then the small store.

• The Cosmic Avenger says:

[citation needed]

• StarKillerX says:

Really?

Well consider for a moment that if they weren’t in the minory would Walmart’s be thriving and mom & pop stores be closing when a Walmart opens nearby?

• The Cosmic Avenger says:

[citation needed*]

[*showing that MOST of those** who complain about Wal-Mart ALSO shop there, or that MOST of those who shop at Wal-Mart ALSO complain about it***]

[**”most” is generally interpreted as >50%, as opposed to “the minority”, which is generally defined as <50% but not a plurality.]

[***duh]

• dangermike says:

It’s a regional thing. Here in the LA basin, I avoid walmart like the plague. Literally. I consider it a likely probablility that I’d contract some kind of wasting disease. But when I’ve visited my friends in the Phoenix area, the walmarts are downright pleasant. A complete contrast to what I’ve seen around here. Clean, well-lit, organized, etc. If they were like that near home, I would probably shop there as much as Target and Costco.

• MarkFL says:

Don’t think this doesn’t bother me.

• dush says:

Corporations are people my friend.

• MarkFL says:

In the eyes of the law, yes. But segregation was once legal in the eyes of the Court, too. Didn’t make it right, and eventually the Court fixed it.

• Necoras says:

I’m quite a fan of Home Depot. I buy stuff there a lot, because when I’m doing a home improvement project, I don’t want to wait 2 days for screws to show up… and then they’ll be the wrong screws, so I have to wait another 2 days and, and, and… You get the picture.

I shop at Walmart or Kroger because Amazon won’t sell me groceries. I know, because I subscribed to a few things for about a year before Amazon stopped carrying them.

These two situations are inherently different from something that I might buy at someplace like Best Buy. Amazon sells everything that Best Buy does and more for less money. I also don’t HAVE TO HAVE that new TV or whatever today. I can wait two days for it.

2. Snowblind says:

Yeah! Look what they let happen to GM!

What? Oh really? Crap.

Nevermiiind.

3. MarkFL says:

You chose this as though it was some sort of original comment. It’s repeated over and over on Fox News and by GOP leaders and candidates.

• Cerne says:

Reading isn’t your strong point is it?

• MarkFL says:

Civil discourse is my strong point. What is your strong point? Or point, for that matter?

• LabanDenter says:

you failed at that too.

• dangermike says:

You get a D for internet today. The correct answer clearly should have been some sort of allusion to male genitalia.

• MarkFL says:

It sorta looks like you flamed both of us. Actually, the correct answer should have been that I’m a bleeding heart liberal socialist who kisses Al Sharpton’s ass and wants to punish people for being successful. It doesn’t matter that I think Sharpton is a hypocritical opportunist, or that none of the rest is true (except being a liberal), it’s just part of the schtick, and it is used often enough so as to become meaningless.

In any event, I take it back. Fox News and the GOP has NEVER said that corporations are unfairly picked on. (cough)

Although none of this has anything to do with reading, since Fox News is television.

• brianguyy says:

blah blah blah Fox News blah blah blah

blah blah blah MSNBC blah blah blah

see how stupid that sounded?

4. Blueskylaw says:

How can you pick a comment of the day if you
    keep posting stories after choosing the winner?

5. Cerne says:

How is this comment funny, insightful or useful?

Harry Greek just made a boring partisan attack that has nothing to do with the post or any political party’s actual position.

6. Harry Greek says:

I avoid big box stores as best as possible.

Come Black Friday, I do snag deals. But, I shop only under duress. And, I almost exclusively shop e-space; Amazon.com, Comixology, Steam, etc.

I remember when people screamed bloody murder over Big Box stores killing local businesses. And now, these BBs are getting thrashed by the online/digital options. Now, when these giants ‘fall’, the local businesses are sure to spring back up.

And, what is interesting, is that the e-space may not have evolved so well, if BBs didn’t spring up. Sorry, but I doubt all the mom n pops could have brought us what we have now.

Also – the mom n pops are doing just fine, via Amazon Marketplace and eBay. So, your giant BBs are on the way out and your mom n pops have evolved,… so, why was everyone screaming again??

7. brianguyy says:

fascinating

8. shepd says:

I prefer big box stores because they have selection and stock, and generally have better service. And, in Canada, they pay better than mom and pop stores and have better benefits, too (I hear in the US they chain you to the register and threaten to murder your family if you don’t work 23 hours a day).

• luxosaucer13 says:

Generally speaking, with a few exceptions:

Canada = people-oriented.
      US = corporation (money)-oriented

• StarKillerX says:

Actually you raise a very interesting point, most small local family owned/operated businesses I’ve known tend to pay very poorly. I think a large part of it is because especially when it’s starting out the family works for little if anything as all the profits go into the business and then when they start hiring people they think the employee should feel the same and except very low wages so they can build up the business for the family, but of course it doesn’t work that way.

Ironically at the same time and paying next to nothing often they expect some insane levels of experience to even be considered. One example I’ve seen time and again over the years is for forklift drivers. Most companies locally will simply state they are looking for “experienced forklift drivers” and of course the more experience you have the better but the small family owned places always seem to require a minimum of 10 or even 15 years forklift experience and then list minimum wage, or barely over it,

Now I’m not saying all mom & pop places are like this, but a large number of them are since, as I’ve stated above, they expect employees to have the same goals as the family does.

• dangermike says:

More than anything, I’d tend to believe it’s economies of scale in action. A large chain will generally have a more consistent restocking schedule and manifest. If charging MSRP, a higher volume generally produces a larger margin. When purchasing employee benefits, a larger pool of subscribers means better rates. A larger volume of business and resources pooled across multiple locations also allows for more liquidity as well as a larger pool of liquid assets as a ratio to revenue. Many of the large “faceless corporations” we now know started as family businesses. For instance, Sam Walton, Henry Ford, Horace and John Dodge, Levi Strauss, Robert, James, and Edward Johnson, Richard Sears & Alan Roebuck, etc., etc., etc.