Comment Of The Day: Where Nobody Knows Your Name

For today’s Comment of the Day, our readers took the (MILDLY AMUSING POST) about a failed attempt at sending a form letter by (MAJOR UNITED STATES AIRLINE). One comment clearly shone, though. Or maybe all of our editors just grew up in the ’80s.

spartan:

Making your way in the world today takes everything you’ve got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn’t you like to get away?
Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your (CUSTOMER NAME),
and they’re always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your (CUSTOMER NAME),

You wanna go where people know,
people are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows
your (CUSTOMER NAME),.

Comments

1. Not Given says:

I remember Cheers. Barely.

• Southern says:

I stopped watching it when Coach passed away. I couldn’t stand Woody by himself.

• elangomatt says:

I definitely remember Cheers and didn’t like it (probably because I didn’t understand most of it). Later on in re-runs though I found out how great of a show it was.

• Torgonius wants an edit button says:

My wife had never watched it, and I had loved it back then, so we started watching it on Netflix right from S1E1. The only thing that makes it dated is that you can’t smoke in bars anymore.

• Murph1908 says:

And the internet and cell phones.

There was one episode where Sam wrote a poem, and Diane was sure she’d seen it somewhere before. She was digging through book after book looking for it.

Oddly enough, a Google search would have supported Sam’s claim that he wrote it, because he had stolen it from Diane’s unpublished works.

2. Rhinoguy says:

We don’t care. We don’t have to. We’re the [Major Airline].

3. thomwithanh says:

Thank you [customer name] for being a valued US Airways Dividend Miles [elite tier] Preferred Member.

Sincerely,

[CEO name]

4. spartan says:

I would like to thank the (NAME OF COMPOSER) who wrote the original theme song for (NAME OF TV SHOW), the people at (NAME OF TV NETWORK) the nice folks at (SOME WEBSITE).com; the idiots at (MAJOR FOR NOW AIRLINE) and most of all (ANIMAL NAME) the dead horse I am still beating, to make this award possible.

5. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I’ve never watched [SHOW] and don’t know anything about [SHOW] other than [SHOW] features a [DRINKING ESTABLISHMENT], [ACTOR], and that [SELECTED SONG].

6. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

The full version of the song is even better:

It’s one of my favorites.