How E-Mailing The Samsung CEO Helped Me Break Free Of Refurbished Replacements

Todd was having problems with his Samsung Galaxy phone, so he traded it in for a refurbished warranty replacement. The replacement phone turned out to be defective, too. Rather than enter the perpetual cycles of smartphone replacement purgatory, he knew there had to be another way. He looked for one, and found it in a recent post about a reader who deduced the e-mail address of Samsung’s CEO and used that information to get the company to actually honor its warranty.

We don’t normally recommend going nuclear this soon, but we’ve heard stories about repeated replacements of Samsung Galaxy handsets and it may be that it was wise of Todd to be proactive.

He writes:

I wanted to share another Samsung success story with you. I recently read the post about the Samsung laptop and emailing the CEO.

Yesterday [Thursday] I emailed the CEO of Samsung at 7pm EST. It was about a defective Galaxy Nexus phone which had been replaced once. I sent it in a second time and it took over a week to get logged into the repair system after being delivered.

This morning I received a phone call from Samsung telling me they are overnighting me, Saturday delivery, a new replacement phone.

It really does pay to send an email, even if it is to the top dog.

Comments

1. Overheal says:

This early is right, I’d have gone on to the 2nd replacement before considering it a lemon.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

The problem is that the 1st replacement, and all subsequent ones, will be a “refurb” phone.

…which is to say, a phone someone else found to be defective and returned.

…and then they put it in the refurb pile and hand it out to the next person who wants a replacement.

Once your original, newly-bought phone has a problem, you’re consigned to never have a properly-functioning phone ever again.

• RandomLetters says:

Bingo! We have out winner here!

• chefboyardee says:

This. I had the same cycle with my Droid 1 until I (very tactfully and politely) demanded a new, not refurbished phone.

• JediZombie says:

I had multiple problems with a Motorola RAZR after I bought it. I got a replacement refurb phone and it had issues. The phone I had prior was a Droid X and I went through 6, yeah that’s SIX replacement phones.

On the RAZR, I figured enough was enough, I emailed Motorola and Verizon Execs both (after my first replacement was also brick worthy). After many emails and supports, I got sent a brand new RAZR. It had some of the same issues, so I sent another email bomb to the execs and got a call from Motorola about 20 minutes later. Turns out the Micro SD that came with my phone (it never got replaced) was what was causing my issues. They immediately emailed me a gift voucher for my local electronics store where I went and purchased a new one. Problems fixed, best phone ever!

I told this story because I wanted you to know that, during some circumstances, it is okay to go the top that early.

• CaptainBill22 says:

Depending on the issue you can use the Warranty of Merchantibility laws. Which basically means that the have to give you a new item if it cannot perform the functions it’s designed to do. I’ve used it on Verizon before, they didn’ like it but they gave.

2. denali says:

Samsung. I think that is Korean for “Crap”.

I purchased two Samsung hard drives for computer builds. Both died just days outside the warranty period.

Later, I purchased two Samsung DVD drives. Same experience as as the hard drives.

I’ve also purchased two Samsung phones. Both act like they’ve had strokes.

Needless to say, I don’t purchase anything with the name Samsung even remotely related to it any more. It’s a pain in the rear, but I’ve found equipment reliability is higher once I removed the Samsung element.

• Trireme32 says:

I dunno… I love Spinpoints… never had any trouble with them, and they outperform Caviar Black…

Maybe I’ve just been lucky though.

• FreddyJohnson says:

Agreed. I also purchased an external Samsung DVD drive, which didn’t work properly from day one.

3. Silverhawk says:

I hate to say, the OP might not be out of the woods yet. While I absolutely love my Galaxy Nexus, and it has worked perfectly since I got it, I had to order a replacement after the screen cracked. I ended up getting a new one since I (voluntarily) voided my warranty by modding the phone. New one was defective right out of the box. A little Internet sleuthing turns up that I’m far from alone. Seems there has been a batch produced more recently that are just plain horrible phones. So, I wish OP best of luck, but I wouldn’t hold my breath that you’ll have a trouble-free phone.

4. ScandalMgr says:

This sounds so much like my story (except I have not received my first replacement yet), that i’m almost suspicious that somebody was tapping my emails to Samsung.

5. PragmaticGuy says:

My 2 1/2 year old Samsung smart phone works just fine and I’m still using the original battery. On the other hand, the 42 inch plasma I bought back in 2006 blew the motherboard due and I just went and bought another TV at Costco because I figured it would be cheaper than waiting God knows how long for the parts to come in to get the old one repaired.

6. haoshufu says:

Companies should make it a written policy, that after you
    1. got a X number of refurbished equipment and still have problem, same problem or not, that you will be entitled to a brand new one.
    2. and if your brand new equipment fails for whatever reason within a month of purchase, that it will be replaced with a brand new unit.

• ChuckECheese says:

How about policy:

0.5. if you obtained said equipment new and have owned it less than … 60 or 90 or 120 days, you get a NIB replacement.

7. JonBoy470 says:

Back in 2008, I had a Samsung Instinct (one of the first attempted “iPhone killers”) After about six months a corner of the touchscreen (where the “shift” key lived) stopped responding, rendering it impossible for me to type numbers on the phone. I managed to sweet-talk Sprint into overnighting me (!) a (refurb) replacement, which proceeded to suffer the exact same failure six months later.

I’ve since drunk the iThing Kool-Aid in the form of an iPad and iPhone, both of which I’ve since swapped out in the Apple Store due to physical damage I inflicted upon them (Dropped the iPad on concrete, and the iPhone went swimming. Yes, I know I’m a klutz.) Anyhow, both (presumably) refurbished replacements have performed excellently, with no subsequent problems or failures.

8. july18 says:

are we ever going to hear the end of this tired tale?