Family Suing Electrical Substation Near Their Home Because High-Voltage Shocks Aren't Pleasant

A family in New York is none too pleased with a nearby electrical substation’s rather faulty wiring, claiming that stray voltage has been traveling to their home and zapping them where they live. The couple say things got so bad with the frequent shocks, they can’t even keep animals at home and had to put down their dog.

The Westchester couple is suing New York State Electric and Gas for $2.3 million, the value of the home they’ve owned for 25 years. They tell CBS New York that they’re moving out because they can’t enjoy life in the house any more.

“My husband bought it so that he could enjoy it for the property; we bought it for the property,” the woman says of how bad things have gotten with the frequent shocks. “We had barns and horses and we can’t have them anymore, can’t have animals. It’s very depressing.”

The electric currents coming from the substation have caused the couple to clean out their bank account for a new home so that NYSE&G can send out currents all it wants without hurting them, they claim. The company says all charges leveled at them by the couple are false.

“We’re moving out, we can’t stay here, it’s dangerous,” says the man. “They’re not competently taking care of the problem so we’re looking for another place to live.”

Westchester County Couple Claims They Are Being Shocked Out Of Their House [CBS New York]

Comments

1. Ekopy says:

Lol. When I worked at AT&T Customer Care, I had a customer call in to claim that a supposed power surge at a cell tower (which didn’t happen) sent out an electrical surge thru the radio waves and fried his phone. Had a good laugh.

• alexwade says:

This story and your story reminded me about a bunch of people complaining about headaches after a new cell phone tower was put up (by AT&T I think). When the local news investigated, it turns out the tower wasn’t even on yet.

• Corinthos says:

I worked there and got into an argument because a lady claimed after we fixed the gps on her blackberry then her car gps would not longer work. She wanted us put the satellite back the way it was because she would rather have her car gps than the blackberry’s. Like 12 dollar an hour technical support has the ability to move satellites.
      After 15 minutes I just kept putting her on hold for another 20 so it wouldn’t get listened to by quality control then told her that the satellite should be aligned back the way it was and if it didn’t work then she needed to contact her car gps manufacturer to ask them to move the satellite into the correct position.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

+100

Next C-ist article: Lady calls [insert GPS manufacturer here] support to request to move their satellite, [GPS manufacturer] shrugs

• Bob A Dobalina says:

I worked for a local phone company. We had a customer call in and claim that, because, we were working in the manhole in front of her house, dirt blew out of all of her phones and ruined her “brand new” carpets

2. Darth Maubs says:

Was the dog’s name Sparky?

3. JediZombie says:

I suppose that it is possible this is happening and if it is, then I certainly hope that they get this matter taken care of.

• tungstencoil says:

“To be honest though, I can’t help but not feel too bad, they own a $2.3 million home and had money in the bank to buy a new home (without having to save for years like most of us)”

Um…. WHAT?! Just because it seems like it’s a lot to you, you can’t feel bad? I’m sorry, but I find your stance both immoral and illogical. Oh, and for the record, I couldn’t afford the mortgage on 2.3MM let alone a house for cash, so I’m not defending based upon being in the same income class.

Seriously: apply this to yourself in what you might consider an every-day scenario. Mechanic messes up your paid-off $15K car during an oil change. You have to buy a new one while you litigate because, I dunno, you have to drive to work or whatever.

Gee, you have enough money to have a $15K car paid off AND buy another one? WOW. You’re richer than 95% of the world. I can’t help but not feel too bad for you; most people have vehicles they have financed.

What about lunch? You order food and you have broken glass and a band-aid in it? Gee, I can’t feel to bad for you and your doctor visit, after all, I have to pack my lunch to save money and have to plan my doctor visits accordingly.

If the OP’s claim is factual, the fact that they have $23 or $2.3MM is irrelevant: wrong is wrong, and I am suspecting that it’s more than chump-change – especially if they had to ‘clean out their bank account’. I’m sure if you had to do that, you’d be pretty (and rightfully) pissed.

• tungstencoil says:

Mind you, I am skeptical about the credibility of the OP’s claim, but still find your position abhorrent.

• Charmander says:

I agree. I’ve never understood why people are sympathetic to others’ problems ONLY if they are making as much money or less as they. If they make more money or have more money, somehow their problems aren’t problems anymore.

• BorkBorkBork says:

Envy and bitterness. That’s all it is at the root.

• StarKillerX says:

True, although the extent of it in this day and age I largely blame on politicians as they use class warfare as well as more general divide and conquer to distract the American public so they can get away with all their sleezy actions

• Cor Aquilonis says:

Wow. You made it six nested comments deep before politicizing the issue. New record?

• MuleHeadJoe says:

As truthy as that may feel, the fact is that the notion of “class warfare” and the political wrangling and social arguments involved have always existed in America. It was just as prevalent and pervasive in the days of my youth 30 years ago. Even moreso during the 70s. And especially the 60s. And as a matter of fact, forever since the invention / recognition of “classes” within society.

The “Class Warfare” argument is a straw man, and the term itself is in vogue as a tool wielded by the right wingers to frighten poor ol’ Ma & Pa Kettle into thinking that those damn socialist lefties (i.e., anybody who doesn’t worship the Republican platform) are evil godless communists bent on overthrowing society.

Envy, spite, selfishness, greed … these are standard common human emotions. Nothing new here, move along please.

And just to get back on-topic, I think the original complainants in the article above are either idiots or liars and are simply gold-digging.

• Nashville TN says:

Dang!!! drink your juice Shelby….

• who? says:

I think these are probably crazy people, but wait, what? If people have money, they deserve what they get, because…well just cuz? Where’s the cutoff? $2M in assets? $1M? $25,000? $10 more than you make? $5?

• Charmander says:

Yes, if people have money, they deserve what they get. If they don’t have money, they don’t deserve what they get.

Glad I don’t live in your world of whimsy.

• Charmander says:

Oops, sorry….reading comprehension fail on my part.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I, too, feel nothing towards those that have it better than me. They all deserve the world’s ills upon them…. because they are better than me. AMIRITE?

• Bob A Dobalina says:

you are right. damage and loss should not matter as long as you have the money to pay for a replacement

it’s not like these rich bastards worked their butts off, scrimped and saved to get where they are. we all know that rich people don’t work. they are born that way

• selianth says:

Keep in mind they’ve owned the home for 25 years. I guarantee you it didn’t cost $2.3m (or the equivalent when accounting for inflation) when they bought it.

4. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

This seems like something really easy to test for and prove true or false. The couple, before suing, should have consulted someone with knowledge about the subject and found a reliable method to record when spikes occur in the home.

I say “should have” meaning this is the best approach, not because I know they have not done something along these lines.

• Ilovegnomes says:

+1.

• George4478 says:

Agreed. If you sue for that much money you better have your evidenciary ducks in a row, because you know the power company is going to come in with their charts, graphs, and experts showing how this level of surge cannot be happening.

DNRTFA, so this may all be covered in there.

5. shepd says:

If there’s that much power going “amiss”, why not take advantage of it? Package it up and sell it back to the electric company as solar panel power… Then you can get your 2.3 million legit.

• Difdi says:

This. If it’s arcing through the air (or jumping through the ground somehow) set up a few lightning rods connected to a transformer and make money selling their waste back to them

If it’s just an incredibly strong EM field or static electricity, you can set up an antenna and pull it out of the air, same as above. Having to build a Faraday cage might suck, but it has to be cheaper than buying a new house.

6. MickeyMoo says:

Really vague linked article – are they claiming overvoltage coming through the house wiring? (Doesn’t sound like it…) or electricity spewing forth from the sky like an angry Zeus smiting them with lightening bolts?

• RandomLetters says:

I was leanng towards maybe the substation has a grounding problem and they’re getting the shocks from that. I’d need a lot more details before I could decide if their claim was plausable or nonsense.

• euph_22 says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but that still won’t cause issues through the air. That might cause over voltage issues in their household circuits. But that would manifest as blowing circuit breakers, blowing fusing, light bulbs, tvs, comptures, electronics getting fried, electrical fires, whatnot. NOT anything they’d feel.

• RandomLetters says:

It’s been a while since I studied up on this but if the substation does have a grounding issue its possible (but unlikely) that it could be shorting out through the ground somehow and energizing their water lines or something. I don’t know enough to really say that’s what’s happening but it is a possibility.

• Not Given says:

Have you ever worked in a Faraday cage?

• kimmie says:

I have, Macrovision/Rovi has one. It kind of sucked. There is also one at a defense contractor next door to a previous employer and it had a strange effect on the strength of cell signal somehow, as it was between us and the cell tower.

• Difdi says:

Depends on the power of the grounding problem. Rule of thumb says 10,000 volts per inch through the air. I’ve seen static electric discharges alone that traveled 3-4 inches.

• euph_22 says:

They live about a quarter mile (maybe an 1/8th of a mile at the least) from the substation. There is no way it would travel that far. Certainly not without reaking all kinds of havoc much closer.

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

I also thought a grounding problem & damp ground as they mention zaps from the taps, the pool, and they wear rubber soled shoes. If they are downhill from the substation that might explain why they get it and their neighbours don’t.

Surely though a grounding issue would be measurable and they have more than anecdotal evidence to present?

• euph_22 says:

As someone knowledge in Physics (and for that matter, comparative Theology), it’s far more likely that they have garnered Zeus’s wrath than anything having to do with the substation.

Or, their $2.3million house isn’t wired correctly.

• shepd says:

If you can afford a $2.3 million house, surely you can afford to have a licensed Electrical Engineer investigate the issue?

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

That would be Engineer Thor. He’s Norse, but he should be Bronte & Astrape-accredited.

• Difdi says:

I’ve effectively TASERed myself at this one local grocery store before; Combination of ungrounded metal posts and very staticy carts. I’ve been the victim of arcs of up to four inches in there before, which sucks unspeakably.

7. benson304 says:

These are the same type of people who would protest the installation of a Smart Meter on their house because of radiation risks. Mind you that meter has a radio the equivalent of a cell phone, yet people have no problem carrying those around all day.

• Tunnen says:

If their smart meter allowed them to play Angry Birds, I’m sure people would stop bitching about them. But since all electrical meters do are to allow an utility company to send them a bill, people dislike them.

• benson304 says:

The best part? Smart Meters will allow for utilities to bill on peak / off peak rates, theoretically allowing people to save money if they pay attention to the time of day they use appliances with large power draw.

• ChuckECheese says:

Smart metering sux. Basically you can’t do anything that requires electricity between the hours of normal and bedtime without incurring a substantial increase in rates.

• Waltersinister3 says:

Somehow, I have the feeling that rates are going to stay the same for off-peak hours and go up for peak hours.

• George4478 says:

That’s the best part? The utility is going to take the current rate and say ‘this is the high rate and now we’ll add a lower rate for off-peak”?

Or will they say “the current rate is the low, off-peak rate and now we’ll add a higher rate for peak”?

I know which way I’m betting and it’s not on them lowering my bills.

• nybiker says:

And like the Port Authority of New York / New Jersey, they will expand the definition of peak time. When they jacked up the toll rates for the bridges & tunnels, they added an hour each to the start and end times of ‘peak.’ Sat & Sun now have peak as 11am – 9pm.

• benson304 says:

If you have an issue with your rates, take it up with your state utility commission, they represent you and approve all rates billed to customers.

That is unless you have competitive supply, in that case go get your energy from a cheaper company.

• Cerne says:

It’s a good theory that rarely works in practise. Ontario started time of day metering and no body saved money.

• Not Given says:

They gripe about the smart meters around here because their old meter was inaccurate and giving them free electricity.

8. Tunnen says:

You would think if there was a fairly common issue with electrical shocking at the home, that it wouldn’t be too hard for an independent observer to confirm.

Also as far as their dog chewing its skin off it’s legs. Could a vet confirm that was possibly caused by an electrical issue?

9. Zowzers says:

Electromagnetic induction is a real thing, and can cause enough current to cause serious harm (electrician friends of mine have seen this directly). So, its plausible & also testable. Hopefully they have done some tests to show proof, rather then just making pants on head crazy claims.

• MrEvil says:

When they service those lines via helicopter the lineman has to touch the line with a wand first. I remember seeing footage of this and watching pretty substantial arcs leaping to the wand from the line. I wonder if that’s the induced current.

• euph_22 says:

I believe it’s actually static electricity built up by the spinning rotors.

• euph_22 says:

Ok, i guessed wrong. While the rotors do generate significant and dangerous amounts of static electricity that’s not the majority if what’s going on. The power line has a potential (voltage) several thousands volts above ground. When there are bare handing live wires like this, they electrically couple themselves to the wire. So the helicopter and the lineman are also at that high voltage. Before they hook up, the arc is caused by the difference in voltage between the wire and the helicopter.

• euph_22 says:

On a related note, if you can stand heights (and are a little insane) that us apparently a fun job. Oh, and you have to have a ton of faith in the skills of the pilot (there is no way i would be the pilot for that. Way to much stress).
          Not quite the craziest job out there (that would be industrial scuba divers working at nuclear power plants), but it’s pretty far out the.

Great view though.

• perruptor says:

Some kids in my town electrocuted themselves in the field around some power lines. They parked a pickup under the power lines, and one kid stood in the truck bed holding the end of a tape measure while he threw the case of it up in the air. When he got it high enough, the field arced down to the truck and fried both him and his friend who was leaning against the truck.

• Difdi says:

A friend of mine told me a similar story. His Dad was working at an airport on the runway lights, and told him how he got to watch a safety inspector commit messy suicide.

They had heavy duty 3-phase current, and due to the nature of the job, couldn’t cut power all the way, just to the parts they were working on. So the inspector comes in, and starts yammering about how unsafe it is not to power down the entire system (which would cause aircraft to crash due to lack of control tower, landing lights, etc), and as he does so, he starts pointing at things with a metal-barrel ballpoint pen. When he points at one of the main (live) bus bars, there’s this wrath of God intensity arc and it burns him to a charcoal pillar on the spot. Some safety inspector, eh?

• StarKillerX says:

When I was a kid a friend climbed one of the steel electrical towers, he supposedly only made it half as high as the wires before being electrocuted and thrown from the tower.

He lived but he had 3rd degree burns over something like 60% of his body.

• elangomatt says:

A kid in my town got himself electrocuted by pulling up the bottom of a chain link fence at a hydroelectric power station and crawling inside. He sustained 3rd degree burns over like 60% of his body. The kid was a jerk, but of course I still felt really bad for him with that severe of injuries. I think he got a multi-million dollar settlement from the power company.

• GearheadGeek says:

Really? That’s sad. Not sad that the guy who breached a chain-link fence and ignored high-voltage warning signs got himself electrocuted, but sad that he got a dime from the power company.

If he were in a public right-of-way and got electrocuted from the power company’s negligence? Pay up! If he got himself honorary mention for the Darwin Awards, it’s his fault.

• Lyn Torden says:

Plausible, testing, and … stealable. The electric company will stop denying this when they rent the house out to someone that knows how to get free power from it.

• Difdi says:

This. Wouldn’t be too hard, if they’re actually experiencing an intense EM field that is causing arcs on surfaces. Just put up a few antennas around the edge of the property. They might not even be able to feel the arcs in the house after that.

• kimmie says:

This is rather plausible, but the article doesn’t mention if they’ve had an electrician come in to try and prove this?

• Libertas1 says:

I know of someone that has a large antenna array that when hooked to nothing generates electricity out of the air. It is likely from static electricity gathered by the sizable wire loops, but unfortunately it is wasted to ground so he can use the antenna without damaging his equipment.

10. john says:

I wonder if they mean they are feeling the affects of EMF radiation. I live near high-voltage power lines and you can feel a gentle “buzz” when you lightly touch someone while standing under or near the lines. I imagine that a substation puts out a lot more electromagnetic field than just high voltage lines.

• RandomLetters says:

High level EMF are said to cause feelings of paranoia too. Could be this coming into play as well.

• ChuckECheese says:

Wow – you reminded me how I lost my 80′s cassette tape collection … Living in Oklahoma some years ago (late 90′s), there was this high-power line right outside the back wall of my rented condo. You couldn’t see it from inside (no windows on that side) – you had to go outside and back of the building. And I had my cassettes and stereo against that wall, probably not 6 feet from that line. And all the tapes started slowly erasing, getting all hissy and the sound getting weaker. Took an enginerd friend to figure out WTH was going on.

This of course was karmic revenge for the time some years prior when I was at the Defense Language Institute, and my bunkmate was addicted to Olivia Newton-John, Barry Manilow and other even more excruciating artists. When I could take no more of the 6 am to 11 pm adult contemporary torture, I took a few of his tapes to language lab and briefly waved them across the degausser, just enough to make listening to them a bit less rewarding.

• Difdi says:

A friend of mine used to go out on winter nights and throw fluorescent tubes, javelin style, into snow banks (cushioning them so they didn’t shatter on landing). They’d light up dimly in flight just from the EM field.

11. GitEmSteveDaveHatesChange says:

This makes no sense. Where were they getting “shocks” from? Are they referring to static shocks? Honestly, and I hate to say this, if their dog was chewing at it’s skin, their house may have been so dry, it was having skin problems, and sometimes dogs chew when they can’t reach skin with their back legs. It would also explain shocks, which they could understandably believe came from the sub station.

Here is the substation, and the home you see in the lower left is their house, judging from the pictures from articles I read. There are a lot of closer homes, so I can’t understand why it would JUST affect their house.

• Zowzers says:

And with this info, I think their claims are completely unfounded as far as electromagnetic induction goes. If they lived right next to it, maybe. but that thing would have to be putting out one hell of a magnetic field.

• Lyn Torden says:

This is actually very possible to happen. It is called “step gradient”. It is caused by an “open neutral” on some distribution leg coming off the substation. The return current path wire is broken, and it’s coming back through ground. Along the way there is a voltage gradient in the ground. It can also be in the house if the house is mis-wired (most ARE).

• edman007 says:

To me this sounds like faulty wiring in the home, probably a bad ground, causing many things to shock you. And the power company isn’t fixing it because it’s not their wiring that’s broken.

12. Abradax says:

Some people pay a lot of money for shock therapy.

13. haoshufu says:

How about the couple got tired of Westchester county after 25 years and want to move somewhere not as cold. Figure they can get the public utility to pay for it.

25 years. Do they just recently feel the shock, or is it a new tower that was recently built that they did not object to at the public hearing?

• euph_22 says:

And It’s just a coincidence that nobody wants to buy a $2.3million house in this economy.

• GearheadGeek says:

Especially one next to an electric substation!

• Lyn Torden says:

I would … except for the fact that the electric company CAN figure out I’m getting free power without leaving my own property.

• Difdi says:

Is it illegal to do so, though?

If they’re literally irradiating the neighborhood then all that power is being wasted into the ground, like pouring water down a drain. If someone taps into that inadvertently-broadcast electrical power, it’s no different than getting rained on while living downwind of a place that emits large amounts of steam; Your garden is not stealing the rain.

• whylime says:

According to the CBS article linked at the top, they have been dealing with this issue for 15 years. They’ve worked with the utility about the stray voltage issue many times over the years, even having voltage blockers installed. So this lawsuit didn’t come out of nowhere.

“The stray voltage fight has been going on 15 years, and for a while the utility thought it had it solved.

Voltage blockers installed by the utility seemed to do the job, but Dr. Mendelson said the shocks started up again a couple of years ago as he and his wife began developing neurological problems. Since then, Dr. Mendelson has stopped seeing his psychiatric patients in a cottage on the property and has shut down the pool.”

14. macemoneta says:

This is easily verified independently, but no mention of that in the article. There were articles a few years back about people getting shocked, even killed, in NYC because of degrading underground cables. This isn’t a ‘he said, they said’ situation. Just get someone out with a multimeter.

• Lyn Torden says:

Run a wire from each end of a fluorescent bulb and poke it deep into the ground. Keep increasing the distance. If this is a step gradient issue, it will show up that way.

The cause is bad wiring, usually of the neutral, between some transformer DOWN stream of the, but possibly inside a transformer, too. Much less likely, but still possible, is a bad connection on the UP stream line feeding the station. This can be much more serious because of the higher voltages involved.

15. Jawaka says:

According to the article there people have lived in this home for 25 years. Did the shocks just start happening? Was this substation just recently installed? Is 2.3 million what they paid for it or what they hope it’s worth?

• whylime says:

According to the CBS article linked above, the couple has been dealing with the stray voltage issue for 15 years, and has tried working with the utility about the problem. They claim that $2.3 million is the current value of the house.

Voltage blockers installed by the utility seemed to do the job, but Dr. Mendelson said the shocks started up again a couple of years ago as he and his wife began developing neurological problems.”

16. Cream Of Meat says:

I had a problem with PG&E where the 4kV on the pole was arcing about a 1/4 to the ground wire and causing radio interference in my house, I could hear it coming through the speakers like a Tesla Coil. They didn’t believe me, and when I said I can see electricity arcing on the pole they didn’t seem concerned.

They came out twice, and even with me pointing to the little blue spark atop the pole they couldn’t see or hear it. (my young eyes and ears vs the older guy they sent?) finally he took the bucket truck up and found the burn marks and fixed the problem.

If your pets and family are getting shocked shouldn’t the power company get right on that?!?!

• euph_22 says:

If there is a lightning bolt coming from the power line to the dog, yes. NYSEG should get right on that, and they owe the family some money (probably not the full $2.3million, assuming they fix the problem. But something).

If it’s because of stray electricity floating towards your house, no. Because that is not, in anyway how electricity works.

• Lyn Torden says:

This effect is known and even has a few names. The power company managers and lawyers will deny it is happening because they don’t want to spend money. Electrical engineers and electricians know what is going on. One of the things I do professionally is design data centers to avoid electrical damage from storms. The very designs that do this would also keep this effect from coming into that data center. The usual cause of this a broken neutral connection on one of the distribution lines going out to the last transformers.

17. who? says:

My folks lived in a high rise condo. AT&T came and offered $8k per month to put cell towers on the roof. It was a 35 unit building, so $8k was a *lot* of money (it was the only high rise for miles). According to the association bylaws, it was a material change to the building, and the vote to approve had to be unanimous. One woman put on her tinfoil hat and voted no. So AT&T put the tower on top of the church across the street, aimed right at the woman’s apartment.

18. jp7570-1 says:

How does one sue a substation, exactly? The headline as written is nonsensical. The story, of course, indicates they are suing the electric provider that owns the substation.

• Difdi says:

The same way one sues a power corporation. By filing with the court clerk, and then the property owner comes in to defend against the lawsuit.

19. toadboy65 says:

I don’t get why they had to kill their dog. I would think that would be a last resort.

• Lyn Torden says:

Small sporadic currents from a high voltage with high series impedance, such as a 12+ kilovolt circuit loop going through ground because some neutral wire somewhere is loose, would feel to the animal like small things crawling on its legs when it is outside walking around. It would try to chew away these bugs that really are not there. This would be constant and unrelenting. The dog would chew its own skin off over time.

20. ScandalMgr says:

I blame the OP for taking off their rubber suits when bathing or sleeping.

21. mulch says:

And smart meters allow the utility companies to tell who is growing cannabis. Or possibly has a lot of lizards or tropicial fish or tomatoes. You can explain after they kick your door down…

• GitEmSteveDaveHatesChange says:

ALEX JONEZ TOLDZ HIM!

• shepd says:

Similarly useful information has been subpena from the meter reader. You don’t need a smart meter to know that a four digit power bill for a small house in fall is unlikely.

To get the subpoena, you’re supposed to already have reasonable suspicion (strange heat signatures, strange activity, informants).

The smart meter just isn’t really helping the police all that much.

• Chuft-Captain says:

Shit, they’d kick my door down in a week if they installed a smart meter.

6 computers. And I mean six full PCs including a pretty beefy home server, not two computers, a laptop and two tablets. Though there is also a netbook (not usually on at the house) and two tablets.

22. Jwach26 says:

I wouldn’t be so quick to discount this situation. Growing up I had a friend whose property had transmission lines running through it. Camping in his backyard was quite the adventure. The screen mesh on the windows of the tent worked well enough as an inductor under the lines that you could trace little arcs of electricity on it with your fingertips.

23. pgr says:

Obviously Aliens are playing a role in all of this!

24. dennisd says:

Don’t think this is possible. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering, and any “stray voltage” is grounded at the source to avoid situations like this.

• Coleoptera Girl says:

So, is it possible that this could be legitimate if the grounding at the source was done improperly or wasn’t done at all?
      I’m honestly curious. After reading down to your comment, I’m still on the fence as to whether this is legit or not.

• Libertas1 says:

I’d request a refund if I were you.

25. backbroken says:

Have they tried a tin foil hat? If not, why not?

26. armour says:

It can be a difficult problem to resolv but it is a real proble that occurs more often the people realize. I hope they get a sloution soon.

27. Sian says:

This sounds totally fishy to me because
    1: had to put down their dog. really?
    2: Westchester

28. dullard says:

In discussions of who “has money” or is rich it is all relative. To A, B is rich. B doesn’t think he/she is rich but that C is rich. To C, he/she is not rich but D is rich, and ad infinitum To any given person someone making a more substantial amount of money is “rich” As I said, it is all relative. There are very few persons in the world, if any, that have enough money.

29. NotATool says:

“Dr. Mendelson said the shocks started up again a couple of years ago as he and his wife began developing neurological problems.”

Cause and effect here…are the shocks causing them to have neurological problems, or are the neurological problems causing them to perceive shocks that don’t exist?

Some objective measurement/testing of stray voltage is due, IMO.

30. Press1forDialTone says:

As our infrastructure is neglected by the barons who created it,
    we will see more of these suits. They are not bogus. Substations
    require constant vigilant oversight to operate without endangering
    surrounding property by voltage leakage, bad electrical grounds,
    aging over-heated transformers, etc etc. I hope they win their suit.
    The private investor-based (here we go again) electrical companies
    will figure out (in year 3045 probably) that it is cheaper to just take care
    of maintenance business than pay out the thousands of suits. I think the
    investors are actually smart enough to know this, but the folks “running”
    the business don’t have a clue because they are laser-focused on making
    more money for the investors at the expense of the rate-payers and users
    of the service.