Everyone Is Either Aghast At Candy Corn Oreos Or Really, Really Into The Idea

I don’t know what to do with this feeling in the pit of my stomach. Is it disgust? Is it anticipation? Or is it just flat-out wonder that food companies keep coming up with weird flavor combinations to titillate the Internetz and work everyone into a lather? It might be wonder, but in any case, we’re probably going to have to get our hands on some of these golden candy corn Oreos for a Consumerist taste-testing in the near future.

Buzzfeed first noted the existence of the Halloweeny Oreos after they were snapped by a Target employee and Kraft confirmed that yes, we will be able to purchase them in stores as of Sept. 10.

If anyone out there bravely grabs a package before our team gets to them, feel free to let us know via tips@consumerist.com or in the comments how the whole thing turns out. The suspense is already killing me, seven minutes after learning these exist.

You’re right, savvy commenters. This question needs to taken to the masses.

Introducing Candy Corn Flavored Oreos [Buzzfeed]

Comments

1. Blueskylaw says:

Sounds like Nabisco (National Biscuit Company) is desperate
    for more precious, precious, shelf space at the store.

2. moonunitrappa says:

If they gave them away in two cookie packages they’d be fun for halloween at least. They look too sweet if that’s possible for an Oreo. But me thinks a kid won’t care.

3. jedipunk says:

saw candy corn M&Ms at Walmart today. White chocolate with candy corn colors, maybe

• PadThai says:

Candy Corn M&Ms are terrible. First think I thought of when I saw this. The second was that “birthday cake” Oreos were really terrible too.

• LabGnome says:

For some reason this reminds me of the chocolate flavored skittles. Man, that was some of the nastiest stuff ever.

• Tristan Smith says:

Cracked.com had a great article about those entitled “Chocolate Skittles: Like Being Mouth Raped by Candy”

4. MaxH42 needs an edit button says:

IMO, part of the attraction is that unnatural, waxy texture. I love candy corn, and I’d try these, but I doubt I would prefer them to regular Oreos.

5. HogwartsProfessor says:

EWWW. No.

I’m pretty much over regular Oreos. These are vomit-inducing. And I actually sometimes like real candy corn.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Ick. Thanks. You just killed Candy Corn Oreos for me.

• Chuft-Captain says:

Newman’s Own and Trader Joes ruined Oreos for me forever. JoeJoes and Newman-Os are so much better it’s not funny. I actually suspect they are more like what Oreos were when they first came out.

• dublinwolfpack says:

It is funny. I’m laughing actually.

• Thyme for an edit button says:

I was surprised by how good Joe Joes are and that they taste better than Oreos!

• cameronl says:

Haven’t tried the JoeJoes, but Neman-Os taste very much like the late, lamented Hydrox cookies, the ORIGINAL creme-filled chocolate cookie.

• Kuchen says:

The Newman’s Own version of Fig Newtons are amazing. I haven’t been able to find them recently, though.

Joe-Joes are fine…the cookie part always seems slightly stale to me, but the flavor is good.

• Keith is checking the Best Buy receipt of a breastfeeding mother (for tips!) says:

HYDROX! Came here just to remind everyone of the true, superior original. Happy that someone beat me to it.

6. Quirk Sugarplum says:

Like most of mankind’s innovations, this one’s value is debatable. On the one hand, Nabisco has dramatically reduced medical diagnostic costs by creating this simple yet affordable product which will test for insanity. On the other hand, diabetus.

7. axolotl says:

Candy corn just tastes like honey mixed with wax, so add some cheap crappy lemony-flavored cookies to your honeywax and you get this.
    Sick.

8. redstapler says:

This is one step closer to the holy grail: Cadbury creme egg oreos But the old recipe ones, not the new thicker stuff.

9. TuxthePenguin says:

Now this post needs a poll. I HATE Candy Corn. Since I was a child.

I have a theory on candy corn – there hasn’t been any made since 1970. Sure, you can buy it at the store, but every year around November 20, Candy Corn Ninjas go through every house and collect it all, where it gets cleaned and repackaged to be resold…

• NotEd says:

Isn’t that the Xmas fruitcake theory repurposed for another holiday?

Ooo, but them Ninjas would also be responsible for recycling half the Peeps from Easter too. And maybe those bags of Spiced Jelly Eggs and gum drops. I mean, spiced candy, are you on crack?

• TuxthePenguin says:

I never realized that those ninjas worked other times in the year… NOW IT ALL MAKES SENSE!!!

• NotEd says:

You now know their great secret.

Now they will have to kill you.

Permanently.

• dangermike says:

The truth is more horrible than you ever could have imagined. You know those little foil-wrapped chocolate eggs that come around at easter time? You know, the things way to chalky and bland to ever really considered candy or even foodstuffs… Well I came to a horrible realization when Sarah Silverman made her song asking whatever happened to the white dog poop from the 70’s. It was one of those dizzing camera-pulling-back-while-zooming-in moments. I think my heart literally stopped for a few seconds.

• Kuchen says:

I love candy corn. I even made little candy corn and peanut gift bags for the guests at my wedding. In the process of making those I probably ate two whole bags of candy corn. There is never leftover candy corn at my house because it all goes IN MY BELLY.

10. ArizonaGeek says:

Love the Candy Cane Oreos so I might have to try these.

11. Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

They just look so, I don’t know, bipolar perhaps……and so wrong.

12. STXJK says:

Pollan’s Food Rule #1: Don’t eat anything your grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food.

• redstapler says:

Darn you! I actually wanted to try these until you made my brain work and remember I had read that book and all the rational reasons for never eating these flooded back into my being.

13. STXJK says:

Oh, and – the “plus size” kiddies clothing post and this post should totally be combined, or at least linked.

14. Suisei says:

Hmm. I thought candy corn gets its flavour from honey? Maybe I am thinking about candy pumpkins. That wouldn’t be so bad in a cookie. Mind you, I don’t consume any cookie that has filling because the filling is nothing but sugar + shortening.

15. Laura Northrup says:

If I didn’t have to work Monday afternoon, I would grab a pack of these and meet Mary Beth in Yonkers on Monday morning.

16. PragmaticGuy says:

Double Fudge Oreos FTW. Nothing comes close.

17. Invader Zim says:

I understand the “limited edition” part. Total Yuckfest

18. Mr. Fix-It is trapped in a collection of half-working appliances says:

“Wow; candy… that looks like corn. *nom* SUNNUVABITCH they got me again!” ~ Lewis Black

19. dublinwolfpack says:

I like it. It keeps things interesting. I’ll give it a whirl, why not.

20. LabGnome says:

The wife loves candy corn. I am going to so get her fat on these.

21. Skittl1321 says:

I LOVE Candy Corns- but after the disappointment of Candy Corn Hershey Kisses, I will not be trying any other tribute foods.

22. eezy-peezy says:

why are the cookies NOT chocolate? That would make it better for me.

23. shea6408 says:

I’m still waiting to receive my Whizzo Quality Assortment. I hear production’s been delayed because they had to put a big red label on each box…

24. darabidduckie says:

I would absolutely try one of those.

I also wonder why they don’t have pumpkin pie flavored oreos.

• NotEd says:

They have pumpkin pie flavored candy corn. Green apple and a fruit punch flavoured onces too. Chocolate covered regular ones too.
      Gourmet candy corn from Target, bought on clearance November 1st has exposed me to some odd candy combinations that no one else apparently wants to buy for the actual holiday.

But I don’t need to tell you that, do I, Candy Corn Ninja?

25. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I loathe candy corn. I can’t even imagine how nasty candy corn cookies would be.

I do like all the other Oreo flavors, though. Sometimes I buy a small single serving pack because I can’t stay out of them!

26. Mr. Spy says:

I’m surprisingly okay with this idea. Might be tasty.

27. ChuckECheese says:

This is a rare moment I’m glad I have celiac disease.

28. SavijMuhdrox says:

i’m gonna have hard time figuring out how to stick these in my nose…

29. Jawaka says:

I hate candy corn to begin with.

30. arkangel says:

Ew. Candy corn is nasty on its own. A cookie with artificial candy corn flavor filling sounds even worse.

Besides, no chocolate = no point.

31. lordstimpy says:

Picked some up at our local Target.

32. LEDZEPPELIN24 says:

Candy corn is pure high fructose corn syrup in a waxy form. DISGUSTING. No, no, you can’t force those down my throat if you had a knife at my back. And Oreos are good enough, this will just taste sweeter and grosser.

• Difdi says:

And the standard filling in Oreos is nothing but vegetable shortening and confectioner’s sugar.

What’s your point?

• Kestris says:

The subpar candy corn uses HFCS. REAL candy corn uses honey. And yes, there is a big taste difference.

• Dirk Daring says:

You mean the honey that almost all honey is HFCS?

• Hoag says:

Honey, as all other foods, must be somewhat accurately labeled. The labeling may be misleading in using weak or nearly meaningless terms such as “all natural” or “free range” but such obvious factors as whether a product is honey or flavored HCFS are mandatory.
          Thinking about it, I am certain that there is only one place I have ever seen that offers a honey product that contains a lot of HCFS. At KFC they have it in packets for the biscuits, to cut costs they have this instead of honey.

33. l337ath3ist says:

“Or is it just flat-out wonder that food companies keep coming up with weird flavor combinations to titillate the Internetz and work everyone into a lather?”

Why would they stop when you give them free advertising?

34. AK47 - Now with longer screen name! says:

Does the package really need the “artificially flavored” qualifier? Is there ever an option for “naturally flavored” candy corn? (or Oreos?)

35. 5thSymphony says:

Yep, sugar is way too much subsidied.

36. DonOtto says:

Love candy corn so will have to try these with milk….

37. Kestris says:

I love candy corn (but only Brach’s, mind you) and I like Oreos, but even I’m saying eww at these.

38. RogueStomper says:

Got a bag at Target… not bad, but I think one bag is enough… it’s like that really cool ice cream flavor, but one or two bowls and the saturation point is reached… *hint* have a lot of milk ready if you eat these cookies

39. Xboxer says:

I saw candy corn m&m’s at Target a few weeks ago and I thought they looked disgusting. My wife ended up picking them up last weekend just to try them. I like candy corn but I can only eat so many before I get a major stomach ache. The m&m’s were just OK. I would never buy them again and just like the Oreos I don’t think we’ll see them again next year. Seems like a marketing gimmick to me. I won’t go out and buy the Oreos but if someone has them I’ll try them.

40. gedster314 says:

Still waiting for them to sell a tube of stuff. They can keep the cookie parts.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

You can make it at home. It’s vegetable shortening, vanilla and powdered sugar. Seriously, there are all these people online who have “perfected” the recipe. Go google if you don’t believe me.

Still tastes like heaven.

41. TheRealMcCoy says:

Sadly enough as bad as this is, someone is probably going to take it one step further: deep-fried Candy Corn Oreos.