Dosage Instructions For One A Day Vitamin Gummies: Take Two A Day

One A Day is a well-known brand of vitamins, but its name is just that. A name. A brand. Not dosage instructions. This caught Jeff by surprise, though, when he bought a bottle of the brand’s Vita-Crave gummy vitamins for adults. He opened the bottle to find it half full: pretty normal for bottles of pills and supplements, but still irksome. Then he noticed the instructions on the bottle: take two per day. Take two One A Day gummies. I see.

He sent along this helpful visual aid:

Not only is the bottle half empty, you need to take TWO vitamins daily. Each bottle only contains 50, so there’s not even a month’s supply! What a scam!

I wouldn’t call it a scam, but it is a little misleading. Maybe the idea is that forgetting to take a few gummies is built into the system. Of course, I’ve been working on the same bottle of 100 multivitamins since 2010, so I would think that.

Comments

1. Vegetius says:

My guess is that either they’re expecting people to feed these things to their kids (“adult” label notwithstanding), or it’s not possible to cram the full dose into a single gummie.

• RandomLetters says:

Make the gummie twice as big and still give people the 25. The bottle would be full then and the name wouldn’t be misleading.

• elangomatt says:

Nice logic. Half the quantity. Double the size of the gummy. Still get twice the volume according to you. There might be slightly more volume because of the lowered efficiency of space with bigger gummies, but no way would it be double the volume of the current arrangement.

• RandomLetters says:

Opps, meant 50 but for some reason put 25. My mistake. I was trying to point out that there could be a way to get the full dosage and have it be 1/day.

• elangomatt says:

Gotcha, don’t ya wish we had an edit button? I doubt people would be happy with your solution though since the price of the full bottle with 50 doses would then be double the price the half full bottles are now. Way too many people don’t think about the price per unit, but rather the overall price.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I did that trick in high school. From a purely mathmatical perspective, doubling the size of the gummy but putting half as many in will keep the volume exactly the same. This of course doesn’t doesn’t factor in things like interconnecting shapes or compression from the fact it’s a gummy.

• euph_22 says:

Not everybody takes the full dose (at least not at once). It’s alot harder to cut gummies in half than pills/chewables.

2. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

There’s 25 days worth of vitamins in that bottle and they didn’t say there was 30-day supply. I guess, like a good consumer, Bill will start reading the labels on future purchases.

I don’t really understand why Bill wants to buy vitamins that mimic candy and personally, I think it’s idiotic for adults to do this. I also think it’s terrible to market this kind of vitamins-as-candy for children.

Then again, I don’t see the point of vitamin supplements except for specific medical needs.

• Scooter McGee says:

“I don’t really understand why Bill wants to buy vitamins that mimic candy and personally, I think it’s idiotic for adults to do this.”

Some adults have major issues taking pills. My girlfriend’s dad, for example, has to chew even the smallest pills before he can swallow them. Gummy vitamins would definitely help for somebody like this who needs them.

• MaxH42 needs an edit button says:

These are actually secretly being kept on the market by the American Dental Association.

• Jeff asks: "WTF could you possibly have been thinking? says:

^^This.
      I get my vitamins from FOOD. In a per milligram comparison, I would bet $10.00 worth of fresh fruits and vegetables would contain more milligrams of vitamins than $10.00 worth of these gummies.

• HomerSimpson says:

Enter text…

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Sometimes food just isn’t enough. I would have to eat far more meat than I want to in order to boost my iron. I eat a lot of iron-rich foods, but even that isn’t enough because I can’t eat a plate of meat every day. Vegetables can only go so far in helping.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I would take that bet. Veggies do not contain more concentrations of vitamins than a multivitamin.

• euph_22 says:

If you’re lucky/frugal $10 might buy you 2 or 3 days worth of your RDA of some of the vitamins and minerals. Instead of 3+weeks with the gummies (which give you more of a much broader range of vitamins).

• euph_22 says:

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Who killed your fun center? Did your dad beat you? What gives?

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

My post reflects my opinion of vitamin supplements. Your speculation on my personal life is inaccurate and off-base.

• jebarringer says:

Science. Recent research and studies that show that:
        1.) most (note that’s “most”, not all) US adults get more than enough vitamins / minerals from their diets
        2.) for some types of vitamins, excess gets excreted, not stored
        3.) for the “mutivitamin” pills, most of the time they’re not digested completely, and the remainder is passed through the system
        4.) unless you have some medical deficiency, you’re probably not getting any benefit from taking vitamin supplements.

• BradC says:

I take these because similar pills are huge and hard to swallow, which makes me want to skip days. Since I found these I hardly ever miss days and I don’t hate taking them. If it -works- how is it idiotic?

Vitamins are a medical need. Unless you are very careful with your diet you are almost certainly missing at least a few of the vitamins in these things. Taking a multivitamin regularly is a simple guarantee that your body has everything it might need without doing all the math on everything you eat.

3. Quirk Sugarplum says:

But nobody can eat just one gummy! Except maybe Communists used to rationing.

Hey Bayer, here’s a million dollar idea: Sell us a watermelon-sized gummy we can take a single bite out of each day. What could go wrong?

• jefeloco says:

They would think you’re talking about some new Japanese hybrid mini-watermelon. That’s what could go wrong.

• MarkFL says:

“Nobody can eat just one Lay’s potato chip…except in Soviet Russia. And eventually in New York City, when Mayor Bloomberg starts thinking about it.”

4. daveinva says:

Gummy vitamins are great (yes, even for adults, you grumps)– they’re convenient (no need for water to choke down a horse pill), generally better tasting than dry chewables, and when you have a medical condition that makes it hard for you to swallow pills, they’re perfect.

BUT I too have noticed this: each brand is all over the map on how many you should take to constitute a complete daily allotment of vitamins– some say two a day, some say *four* (two in the morning, two in the evening). I haven’t yet found a gummy that is just one piece a day (contrary to the One a Day brand name).

Plus, it’s not that the bottles are half full– it’s that these gummies settle and shrink as they dry out. You never get a “full” bottle, just the way it is.

Sadly, I’ve found that stores charge a heck of a lot more for gummy vitamins compared to regular pills.

• elangomatt says:

Is there actually a medical condition that causes people to have trouble taking pills? I can understand that some people probably have a gag reflex that doesn’t like the feeling of the pill going down but I wouldn’t consider that to be a “medical condition”. When I was little I couldn’t take pills for that reason, eventually I had to take some tiny little pills for some a severe poison ivy rash and those got me used to the feeling enough that I could take a bigger pill with no problem.

I’m sure the reason why gummy vitamins are so much more expensive is because the process is more complicated to create them. With regular pills it is just a powder pressed together and maybe coated in something. Gummy vitamins have to be cooked and probably deposited into corn starch molds, then there is a bit of curing time before they can be packaged up.

• euph_22 says:

Yes, there are medical conditions that cause people to have trouble taking pills. And even if there aren’t, if it’s easier for somebody to eat a gummy, what’s the problem with spending extra on the gummies?

• elangomatt says:

I don’t believe I ever said that people shouldn’t be able spend a little extra to take the gummies.

• P=mv says:

One medical condition I know my Great Uncle suffered. He had a bone spur pushing into his esophagus. It was years before the doctors found it. He couldn’t swallow anything bigger than watered down yogurt, and even then he had to gulp. Gummie vitamins and dry chewables were the only way he could take anything. Otherwise, they would get stuck and he’d start to choke.

• daveinva says:

Aside from the esophageal/nervous system problems already raised, here’s a common example: weight loss surgery that reduces the size of the stomach. Renders all manner of pills of certain sizes/timed release ineffective because they leave the surgically-smaller stomach before they can be digested. Gummies (and liquid medications) solve that problem.

• Chuft-Captain says:

I’m calling BS. The bottle is half full, settling is not sufficient explanation. the bottles are made larger than necessary in order to deceive the customer into feeling as if they are receiving more.

• RvLeshrac says:

Gummy Vitamin bottles are half-full because the more you put in, the greater the risk of them becoming fused together in a giant vitamin lump.

• MarkFL says:

How many half-ounce gummies are in a dozen?

Depends on the size of the bottle, right?

5. Hoss says:

His head’s gonna explode when he goes in Dollar Store

6. Thnaggle Tooph says:

One A Day has always been expensive. Gummie vits are so digestible. I love them. Regular vits tend to leave a bad taste in my mouth all day. Our whole family has taken them for years. Why? Because on those horrible days when we’re living on yogurt, granola, cereal or anything else I don’t have to cook, it just makes me feel better. I buy Vitafusion, 150 gummies for about $10.

7. osiris73 says:

I read the labels and compared the values of a different gummie brand at Sam’s Club with a regular chewable for my 10 year old. Then compared the price and quantity. The gummies were a little more expensive, but I thought I’d be nice and get them. It never occurred to me to look and see what the dosage size was on the gummies. At 10 years old, it said the dosage was 2 a day. So now the gummies were more than twice as expensive. I was pissed.

8. ajv915 says:

He is going to be really angry when he finds out Dr. Pepper is only an honorary doctorate.

• George4478 says:

And the 102 minute mark of The Neverending Story won’t be a pretty sight.

• MarkFL says:

And 20th Century Fox didn’t stop making movies twelve years ago. (Or eleven. I’m not getting into that argument.)

Also, the San Francisco 49ers and Philadelphia 76ers are still playing their respective sports, Hebrew National hot dogs are not necessarily kosher, and Belgian waffles are not available in Belgium.

Wait, one of those might actually be a problem.

9. Sarek says:

Has anyone trademarked the name “Two a Day” ?

10. euph_22 says:

They might be 2-a day since people don’t necessarily take the full dose at once. Personally my stomach doesn’t react well to the massive quantities of iron, so I cut the chewable in half and take one in the morning and one in the evening (or just take one after realizing I also get vitamins from food). Cutting pills or chewables is pretty easy, cutting gummies would be a PIA.

And this is honestly a non-story. “One a Day” is a brand name, of course you need to look at how many DOSES are in the container (not just pills), and they almost always sell drugs in units of 25, 50 ,100 etc and not by month.

They could be a little more straightforward with this (label the # of doses on the front would be a good start), and the giant half-full bottle is a bit misleading. But Bayer isn’t doing anything wrong.

11. These Are Not My Pants says:

“One A Day” could be stating that it’s the only *type* of vitamin you need to take each day, not necessarily the quantity of that vitamin. Perhaps a bit misleading, but that’s why yoiu should read the direction/nutrition labels before buying.

Regarding the gummies for adults, the standard kind give me stomach pains and also taste/smell terrible. And I buy whatever the store-brand is where I’m shopping since they’re generally $3-4 cheaper than name brands.

• euph_22 says:

You can try cutting the pills in half and take the two halves at different times. I had the same issue (ingesting large amounts of iron at once causes problems for some people). My stomach is much happier with me taking them in 2 smaller doses. I generally use the store brand chewables.

As far as “one a day” being misleading, it’s a brand name. Should I be upset that everlast batteries don’t last forever, or that I CAN believe it’s not butter?

12. VintageLydia says:

I don’t know about all you wet blankets who are anti-gummy but they are a god send for prenatals!

13. longfeltwant says:

So if I started a brand of toys called Doesn’t Contain Toxic Chemicals, it wouldn’t be misleading if the toys are filled with toxic chemicals? That’s good to know.

• euph_22 says:

No. It would be misleading.

On the other hand, if only one of your products had an internal battery that was toxic, and was properly label as such. No, that’s not misleading. (nevermind that “one a day” could be taken to mean “one [time] a day”).

14. GodfreyOriole says:

Why would you buy these when you can get the target version for half the price? target even stocks them next to each other.

15. Jawaka says:

I don’t really see the issue with the bottle being half full. If the bottle said 50 gummies inside and it had 50 gummies inside then what’s the problem? Would you feel better if they just made the package smaller?

Instructing that you take two a day is misleading though. I suppose that the name “One a Day” is kind of like the brand name “As Seen On TV”

• MarkFL says:

I’m thinking if they use the same size bottle for a different quantity package, it might actually reduce costs and make the product a few cents cheaper.

16. jonathanla says:

I use One A Day and I always thought the name meant that you only had to take the vitamins one time each day. But I guess then it would have been called “Once A Day?”

I have a lot of difficulty swallowing pills so the gummy vitamins are excellent for me. I also take chewable calcium and vitamin D.

17. TacoDave says:

One A Day is a brand name. I don’t get mad because Burger King sells a fish sandwich, even though “That’s not a burger!” This is silly.

• MarkFL says:

Did you know that the Burger King is NOT A LEGITIMATE MONARCH?

The fast-food industry is rife with such scandal. The McDonald’s sold their hamburger joint to Ray Kroc decades ago, and Wendy’s was actually founded by Wendy’s father. Also, Col. Sanders and the Little Caesar both have honorary titles, Domino’s was started by an Irishman, and you can’t order spinach at Popeye’s.

18. noahproblem1 says:

When it comes to misleading brand names, don’t even get me started about “5 Day Deodorant”…

19. sonotamused says:

So far my husband and I havent been able to locate adult gummy vitamins that DONT require 2 a day. And yes, we have looked at multiple brands, because darn it, he likes the gummies.

• euph_22 says:

I can’t imagine that it would be that obnoxious taking 2 gummies instead of 1. It’s not like they’d charge less for the same amount of vitamins in fewer gummies.

20. FateCreatr says:

Actually, it’s an American thing. American’s take two pills, so the doses in the pills are set out as such. Many other countries only take one pill and the active ingredient doses are set that way.

Since “American’s take two pills” (possibly some potency psychology at work?) putting a single “dose” into a single pill would result in many people taking larger doses then they should.

For those of us who read the bottles and would take the proper dose anyway, no need to complain you’re safe either way. If these were Euro gummy vitamins they would just come 25 to a pack for about the same price (all else being equal). That aside, I don’t think most people are informed consumers and mistakes would be made. Most who read this site are, but not most people in general.