Western Digital Sends Double-Size Replacement For Hard Drive Their Update Bricked

Remember Joe, whose Western Digital hard drive stopped working after he installed the software and firmware updates that it begged him for? He just received a free replacement drive with twice the storage capacity of the original. We’re sure that this had absolutely nothing to do with his complaints on Twitter, his Tumblr post, or the Consumerist post about his predicament. Nothing.

Kat at Western Digital immediately contacted me, apologized, and stated that my case was out of the ordinary and should’ve been handled better. She helpfully tracked the progress of my RMA and immediately sent out a WD Passport with 3.0 USB and 1Tb storage capacity—a definite upgrade from my original bricked HD. I received it today and it works like a champ. Many thanks to the people at Western Digital Quality Control and at The Consumerist. I also don’t think this could’ve been resolved this quickly without social media, so thanks goes to Twitter too.

Western Digital Apologizes for Support Issue, Sends HD With Twice The Storage of Original [Ghost in the Machine]

Comments

1. lvdave says:

So the Internet works again… These crooked companies are gonna get wise soon, that you can’t mess around with your customers with the Internet looking over your shoulder…

2. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Would it kill you to use “the” in the article title? I had to read that 10 times to understand it right.

• RandomLetters says:

Where would you put “the” in it? Maybe it’s changed since you posted but I don’t see where it would go.

• Mr_Magoo says:

Western Digital Sends The Double-Size Replacement For Hard Drive Their Update Bricked

The Western Digital Sends Double-Size Replacement For Hard Drive Their Update Bricked

Western The Digital Sends Double-Size Replacement For Hard Drive Their Update Bricked

3. menty666 says:

I think I’d be happier with a similar sized drive with them footing the bill for data recovery.

4. Pete the Geek says:

I’ve been using Western Digital hard drives for years and have always thought highly of the company’s products and customer service. The one time I had to RMA a drive, it could have been very complicated as I was in the middle of moving to a different country, but WD handled it flawlessly. In a competitive field, their warranties and customer service distinguish them from other, less expensive drives. It is good to hear that the OPs experience is not considered typical.

5. xspimpin says:

You forgot West “The” Ern Digital

6. Delicious Spam is delicious says:

beats seagate, who thinks replacing a 2 tb drive with 1.5 tb is fine.

7. Paurian says:

Actually… WD did the same courtesy for me a few years ago without all the publicity. They replaced the model with a newer, larger one… I figured it was their way of apologizing for the lost data and inconvenience. It might be that social media is required as a trump card, but I think it has more to do with getting in touch with the right people at WD and I was just fortunate in my case.