Third Time Is Far From The Charm For The Once Again Recalled 2013 Ford Escape

Another day, another 2013 Ford Escape recall: After issuing recalls for scary fires and gas pedals that wouldn’t quit in July, Ford is issuing a third recall for its sport utility vehicles, this time citing a fire hazard in the engine compartment. On the bright side? There were no Escape recalls in the entire month of August.

This time around it’s that pesky engine compartment that is causing problems again, as it did in the first recall.  Ford says this time, an improperly installed part called a cup plug in about 7,600 Escapes could cause a fire in the engine compartment. Affected vehicles have a 1.6-liter engine and were built between Oct. 5, 2011 and Aug. 31, 2012, reports Reuters.

If the cup plug component wasn’t installed properly, it would immediately cause loss of engine coolant, explained a spokeswoman. And if the glycol in that coolant comes into contact with the hot parts of an engine, it could catch fire.

After the last recall, Ford told drivers to stop operating their vehicles immediately. In this case car owners should bring their vehicles to the dealership for replacement parts.

Ford says this engine fire problem isn’t related to the first one, and although a car on a dealer lot in Tennessee caught fire in August, no consumer vehicles have caught fire as of yet. So… whew?

Ford recalls new Escape again, citing fire risk [Reuters]

Comments

1. aaronx says:

FORD – Failures or Recalls Daily

OK, OK, I’ll boo myself for that one…. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

2. JediZombie says:

So, the lesson I have learned from this. Buy Chevy…

You may flame me now.

3. oldwiz65 says:

Would any sane person buy an Escape after hearing about all this? And how many people sold ones already purchased? Maybe we will see signs in parking garages “No Ford Escapes due to fire hazard”

• bnceo says:

My neighbor back home is a Ford mechanic and bought his wife a 2013 Escape when they first came out. After talking to him from the first two recalls, he is utterly pissed. Can’t wait to ask him about this one next weekend.

• lvdave says:

Weeell.. We bought one *before* we heard about this… of course, its a 2012.. as far as I know, these plethora of problems are only on 2013s.. Damn I sure hope so…

4. perruptor says:

Besides all that, they’re ugly.

• Willow16 says:

I also don’t like the redesign at all. They’re also really expensive for what they are. On a bottom of the line model with 4wd and no other options, the msrp is $29,000. A bottom of the line awd Subaru Forester with automatic transmission has an msrp of $22,000. With all of these problems, plus the price why would anyone buy a Ford Escape?

• ilovemom says:

Recalls aside, the Escape is a much more capable off-road vehicle (better ground clearance) and I don’t think you can tow a boat with a Forester. They’re not really in the same class. I won’t argue that the $29,000 price tag is a bit much.

5. lordstimpy says:

You know before they switch production from KC to Kentucky, they didn’t have these problems.

6. Mozz says:

Nobody here thinks “any” car company is being over cautious these days?

7. JonBoy470 says:

Went and looked this up on NHTSA’s website. The “cup plug” is the freeze plug, which Ford has (interestingly, in my mind) seen fit to incorporate into the cylinder head. At any rate, the freeze plug works its way loose, then hot engine coolant spews forth from the engine onto the even hotter exhaust manifold. Straight ethylene glycol has a flash point of 240 deg F, and auto-ignites around 750 deg F. Not sure about the 50/50 mix used in cars, but the manifold does get that hot…

If it makes you feel better, the 2001 Escape (first year of the previous design) had 13 recalls.

8. BurtReynolds says:

All I can say is that I am glad I didn’t wait for it come out to buy a new car. I showed it to my wife and suggested we wait for it to hit lots and check it out, but she wasn’t crazy about it from the pictures.

9. hammond egger says:

NEVER buy a vehicle in it’s first year or the first year after a major redesign. If you do, then you just paid thousands of dollars to be a beta tester.

10. Desiredfx says:

Is it just me or is it just irony that a car called an escape is really a death trap?

11. BigDragon says:

Maybe that split with Mazda wasn’t such a good idea. I have a 2005 For Escape. It’s nearly identical to the 2005 Mazda Tribute except for cosmetic styling details. I don’t think I’ll buy a new Ford Escape. The Mazda CX-5 looks like a better option.

12. dreed says: