Telemarketer Just Cannot Handle Being Hung Up On Again, Calls Back With Bomb Threat

We all likely know at least a few people who have endured being a telemarketer, and while it sounds like an awful, horrible no-good very bad gig, hey, it’s a job. But one telemarketer had simply had it up to here with people hanging up on him. And so he did something a bit extreme to express that frustration — he called back and told the homeowner there was a bomb in the house.

It all started when a telemarketer called a Denver resident with some news that was likely too good to be true, cops tell 7 News.

“The telemarketer was explaining to him that he had won some money,” said the county sheriff. “The homeowner was not interested and hung up the phone.”

That was simply unacceptable, so the telemarketer called back and got “pretty rude.” Rude enough to say, “I’ve placed a bomb in your house.”

The homeowner called 911, and police responded by evacuating all nearby homes while searching the victim’s home. Authorities found nothing at the scene, and are now trying to locate the telemarketer. He may or may not be overseas, and if he is, the FBI will get involved.

The cops are stumped as to why this would happen — shouldn’t telemarketers be kind of used to being hung up on by now?

“It’s completely out of the ordinary,” the sheriff explained. “I don’t know how to explain it. They’re just pretty pushy I guess.”

Pushy, sure. Threatening? That’s another level of intrusion right there.

Telemarketer Threatens To Blow Up Home [7 News Denver]

Comments

1. DouglasQuaid says:

DNC List FTW

2. EP2012 says:

We had a telemarketer threaten us with a bomb years ago…

Yes… the entire street was closed down and MANY police/fire and bomb squad people had to search our house.

They never caught the guy, even though they knew which office the call originated from.

• Velvet Jones says:

I’m sorry, but calling the cops is ridiculous in this instance. Why in the hell would you take a call back bomb threat seriously? The odds are having the cops show up is going to end badly for you, especially considering the threat posed to you was ZERO in the first place. While I would love to see the scum bag telemarketer pay for their actions, dragging in the cops and having them search MY house doesn’t exactly seem the way to punish them. If anything, the telemarketer caused you more grief then they probably every could have imagined.

• Difdi says:

You’re quite right. Your life and the lives of your family are utterly worthless, and not worth the time or trouble to make sure a wild death threat is just a threat, and not the real deal.

Sooner or later that attitude will win you the Darwin award you seem to sincerely desire.

• Velvet Jones says:

I think you’re the one in line for the Darwin Award there buddy. A real threat? Yes, some guy calling from the other side of the country, or likely the other side of the world, snuck in to you house and planted a bomb. He then proceeds to call you up and try and sell you something. Only after you rudely refuse his sales pitch does he decide to blow you up. Is that the way it works genius? Let me guess, you also fall for every Nigerian scheme, as “it might be true and you could be rich”?

3. TheMansfieldMauler says:

I thought telemarketing operations used robocalling setups which only transfer connected calls to a live person. Are there still telemarketing operations where an employee can actually dial out to just any old number?

• iesika says:

Once she answered the phone, the call was live, and it was cut to a person, probably.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

Right, but the article says the callee hung up and the telemarketer caller called back.

• Bodger says:

I’m pretty sure that once the telemarketer has your number and knows that it is ‘live’ then (s)he is fully capable of dialing it for themselves.

4. Hoss says:

Telemarketing companies may be obnoxious — but someone committing fraud wanting personal details to send found money isn’t a telemarketer.

5. StatusfriedCrustomer says:

I’m on the national do-not-bomb list, so luckily I don’t have to worry about this nonsense.

6. PBallRaven says:

Good greif. Calling the cops is the LAST thing I’d do. Nothing good can come of it and they are as likely to shoot your dog or even you. Best not to get them involved.

• PBallRaven says:

*Grief*. Arrggghhhh

• Lyn Torden says:

Calling them, especially if you have recorded the call, is actually better. It can help push up the time in which Congress will finally address the problem of all the fraudulent caller ID calls coming through. See my post later on here for more details. The call that Denver resident got in this case is definitely a scam. The scammer got upset because people are starting to catch on to these scams and he’s not getting their private info as much.

• PBallRaven says:

Let someone else do the pushing. I, for one, do not want a SWAT team storming my house, shooting my dog, and evacuating the entire block for something I know if obviously a bunch of B/S from a scammer who is probably not even in the US, much less my state.

• tlvx says:

Agreed. Unless there has also concurrently been a break-in… or, you’ve just come back from being out of town… There’s no reason to believe some random caller’s threat… unless they can unequivocally identify you, and perhaps something specific inside your home.

That’s why intentional crimes against property are- by and large- committed by relatives, or former friends, jaded lovers, et al, in the first place.

• Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

You seem awfully sure they’ll shoot your dog. Maybe you should put it on a leash and wait in the driveway?

• PeriMedic says:

Maybe it’s the neighborhood you live in (not meant as an insult), but I’ve been in law enforcement for 34 years and experienced only one dog shooting–and it was unleashed and mauling a terrier first, cop second. So I recommend Evil Otto’s solution.

7. jp7570-1 says:

I’ve experienced plenty of rude telemarketers, When you get them to go off script, they often get flustered. When I’ve asked to speak to their supervisor, that usually sets them off.

One scam that is currently going around the country is the “free home security system” call. (There are many other scams as well.) If you have caller ID and do not recognize the number, simply don’t answer. Often, these calls use fake caller ID names such as “Answer”, “Winner”, “Wireless Caller”, or just the name of the state they MIGHT be calling from (usually its “Rachel” that delivers the taped message). Answering a call could trigger the robocaller to list your number as “active”, in which case the volume of telemarketing calls could increase.

If I mistakenly pick-up a telemarketing call and get a live person, I like to waste their time. Whatever they’re selling, I say “tell me more”, then put the phone down for a few minutes. You’d be surprised how many of these nimrods stay on the line. The longer you keep them on the line, the less time they have to bother someone else.

• Not Given says:

There is some great stuff on Youtube where computer savvy people string along the ‘I’m from Microsoft and your computer is downloading viruses’ people. People report those scammers call back after being hung up on. Also the fake debt collectors that say they’re going to arrest you at work if you don’t wire a settlement by a certain time, they are very persistent.

• frodolives35 says:

This is some good sport. Pass the phone off to your spouse and make them do it all over. If you act like a senile old person they will stay on the line for next to forever hoping to rip you off.

8. George4478 says:

“You hung up on me. Now I’m coming over and making you watch Battleship.”

“Nooooooooooo!”

• Billy C says:

Hey, I actually really enjoyed Battleship!

That is, until it was over and I thought “wait a second, that was freaking stupid.”

9. Not Given says:

Are there any telemarketers who call you to tell you won something that aren’t out to get a service charge, delivery, handling fee out of you, IOW scammers?. I’ve heard a lot about scammers pulling stunts like that.

10. daemonaquila says:

No. It’s not just a job. Some things you just don’t do, no matter how much you need the money, if you have a shred of ethics. Selling sex on a street corner is far more worthy of respect. Telemarketers deserve all the abuse they get. I hope this ass gets good jail time.

• Lyn Torden says:

Somehow I think this was a scam, not a telemarketing call. Most of the calls these days are.

• oatmealpacket says:

Spoken like a truly privileged individual.

“Telemarketers deserve all the abuse they get?” Wrong. They’re human beings who are doing a job to make ends meet. It is indeed just a job.

And if you think anybody “deserves abuse” for doing their job, you’re a pretty sad specimen yourself who has no place saying anything about whether or not anyone else possesses a “shred of ethics.”

• kilpatds says:

“They’re human beings who are doing a job to make ends meet. It is indeed just a job.”

No, it’s frequently fraud. That they are not prosecuted has only to do with the difficulty of enforcement, not the legality of the work.

• Sarek says:

C’mon, fair is fair. If they’re scammers or violators of the do-not-call list, then they deserve whatever you do (give the phone to your kid or dog, blow a whistle, or whatever.) But if it’s a legitimate call that is just trying to legally sell you something, give them a break, they are trying to make an honest living. It must be hard to get hung up on or worse when you’re just trying to make a buck legally.

I bought my original subscription to Consumer Reports from a telemarketer, back in the pre-do-not-call days. Boy, was she surprised when I said, “yes!”

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I bought a magazine once, and also a phone from an AT&T telemarketer. But I have AT&T, so they legally could call me. I’ve never gotten called from them when I didn’t have them.

I have pretty much only given my cell number for job applications now. Any place I apply that actually has to have my home number and is legit will leave a message on my answering machine.

The only other time I answer my landline is at night, when it might be family. I don’t have caller ID on that phone because it costs and I don’t want to pay for something I get on my cell phone for free. The reason I still have a landline is because of DSL; cable is too expensive.

• shepd says:

Robosigners did “just a job” to “make ends meet”. You cool with them too?

• oatmealpacket says:

So what you’re saying is that it’s okay to treat people however we please if we don’t approve of the job they do?

Again, privilege in action.

• tlvx says:

Doing things that are borderline illegal, or unethical, is what gets your privileges revoked. If the government can’t enforce the laws, all you can do is deal with the nonsense on your own terms.

• shepd says:

Yes, if they are doing the job with/on my property without consent. Short, of course, actual illegal things like assault. This includes swearing at them, leading them on to waste their time, or just toying with them on the phone. It even includes calling them back and being as much of a (legal) pain in the arse as necessary to try to get them fired or better yet, make their company not exist.

You could, of course, not use my property (phone, phone line, cell phone, cellphone minutes, etc) to annoy me against my consent, and then I will absolutely sure as chips stay away from you and let you keep annoying others.

• Nate with shorter name says:

Telemarketing would be an easy, low paying job if it wasn’t for the abuse. By making telemarketing a special circle of hell, we are insuring that the single mother who needs this job can pay her rent.
        See, it is perfectly ethical for me to abuse telemarketers.

• JollySith says:

Nope, sorry wrong. I have scrubbed toilets, swept floors, delivered newspapers on foot and re to make ends meet in my life. but I have never once taken a job that victimizes or defrauds someone else. I can’t think of a single telemarketer “product” that is not a scam of some degree or another. By taking a job where you attempt to defraud me you open yourself up to whatever you get. In fact my opening line when speaking to a live telemarketer is simply. So are you so desperate and unskilled that all you can do to make ends meet is prey on the gullible or where you born scum?

11. Lyn Torden says:

The police and FBI in this case should become supportive, and demanding, of a law to mandate upon all telephone companies that the caller ID information always be valid, with severe penalties (e.g. be liable for the caller’s crimes) when they fail. Telco providers at the origination of the call should be required to validate all caller ID information coming from customer switching equipment (if the number does not match an assigned number, terminate the call). Telco providers along the way to the callee should keep a record of the call with synchronized time, number call is placed to, caller ID info being forwarded, incoming trunk ID, and outgoing trunk ID, and keep this information for one year, available to the callee, or to law enforcement with callee permission, or by court order (and of course by NSL).

Phone switches CAN do this. It just costs a little bit more money to put the software in and run a new database to keep all those logs. With this, we WILL know where all these illegal telemarketing and scam calls come from.

• Not Given says:

A lot of this crap is coming from other countries and are using voip of some kind. Even if they track them down, they can’t do anything.

• Abradax says:

New law time.

If you outsource your telemarketing, your company is criminally responsible for any criminal acts perpetrated by the outsourced company working in your name.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

That’s why I quit wasting my time reporting telemarketers to the FTC or FCC or whatever that website is. No point if the number is spoofed. Now if I find a phone number that’s “real”, meaning when I call it back I get some sort of message, I just use my selective call forwarding to forward all my unwanted calls to that number. It’s a win-win situation for me.

• shepd says:

Phone switches already do this with all digitally trunked calls, and all calls going to 800/900 numbers (next time you call the anonymous America’s most wanted tip line, think about that…) via ANI.

Of course, only NANP members bother with it, and even then, I bet it’s just the US and Canada, so if the caller is from overseas, you’re hosed. Best way to solve that would be to ask your telco to block all incoming overseas calls. I imagine 99% of us never receive legitimate overseas calls anyways.

• Not Given says:

If they are using something like Skype or gchat to call phones, it would probably look like it was a domestic call.

• MarkFL says:

Think how many people have a family member serving overseas. Add to that people with civilian relatives working or visiting overseas. Add to that people working at home who do business with someone overseas. That’s a lot of people.

• tlvx says:

Unfortunately, the same technical advancements that can track abusers, are also able to be used to hide call origin, and spoof caller identity.

For example, for the average user… you can use a simple calling card, or a pay phone, and… combined with a blocked caller I.D… you can quite easily create a situation whereby it’s almost impossible to identify the actual caller. Add VOIP to the mix, and you can basically become a ghost caller.

The only way to really enforce this would be for the authorities to answer the calls, give out their credit card number, and charge the company owner of whomever is billing their card, with the crime of phone I.D. spoofing, and whatever other crimes are involved.

• scoosdad says:

I’ve also been advocating this for awhile now, and the companion piece to this would be this: that you’re allowed to record any phone call without permission or notification when it involves money or an offer to sell or buy something for money, in any state regardless of the current rules in place in that state.

You’d have evidence to help put these people away, and customer service overall could improve dramatically since there would be proof, for example, that your cable company offered to give you ‘x’ for ‘y’ dollars. Or that you did not say anything that justify resetting the clock on a new two year contract (with an ETF) with your cell provider. Or that yes indeed, I did call and speak to you four times already and was promised that my service would be fixed.

• MarkFL says:

You’ve just put a thought in my head.

If you pick up a call and it’s a telemarketer (or scammer pretending to be a telemarketer), what would happen if you told the caller, “I’d be glad to talk to you. However, I am required to inform you that this call is being recorded. Please state your full name, and the name of your company.”

I’ll bet that will cut a number of calls short. Not all of them, but a lot.

• shepd says:

With the advent of VoIP, just pass the call through a server in a single party state and you’re done. :)

12. Sarek says:

“Buy from us. Our product is da bomb!”

13. Banished to the Corner says:

Because I know people are just trying to do a job, I handle all calls in one of three ways:
    1. I don’t answer the phone. Easy, but I know many people can’t ignore a ringing phone.
    2. If I’m not interested, I just tell them that. I know they have to try and sell me something, so I’ll tell them no, politely, and tell them goodbye (Usually, I say, I hope they have more luck with the next call.)
    3. If it happens to be something I’m mildly interested in – I’ll listen or ask them to contact me at another time that is more convenient.

I never just hang up, I feel that is too rude. I have very nice phone manners, as it was something my mother emphasized. Too bad Mom never heard of the internet, or my online manners would be better. :-)

• tlvx says:

There’s nothing impolite about immediately terminating a call from an unidentified, or misidentified caller. Calling someone under false pretenses is far worse than being impolite.

Even more, the bastardized “sales process” preys specifically on people that are more interested in tact and being polite, than in respecting their own time and money foremost. The attempt to take your money cannot end until someone walks away… or, in this case, hangs up.

• Banished to the Corner says:

Please see step one. If I don’t answer the phone, I don’t have to hang up! So, no rudeness is required. If I do answer the phone, I don’t hang up on people. It’s a flaw, I know…interestingly enough, it does not follow through to my other methods of communication. I can only reiterate that my phone manners ‘took’ when Mom taught them, and everything else went by the wayside.

• lvdave says:

I’ve got a great way to screw around with these bozos.. VERY VERY few people (friends/family) have my Vonage landline #.. I have a fax modem connected to the line for the fairly often times I have to send/recieve a fax. YES, I know.. Fax is sooo last century.. Tell that to several insurance companies I deal with… With the windows fax service running, and the phone rings, I get a popup on the screen showing the number calling.. If I don’t recognize it, the call gets answered as a fax.. with all the sqeealing screeches in the ear that a fax connection entails… The hope is they will move my number over to their “don’t call” list since they aren’t gonna speak to any human on it… So far so good

14. dullard says:

Hmmm…IOW.

Does that mean

Isle of Wight, International Office of Water, Innovators of Wrestling, Image of the Week, In Other Words, Intelligence Operations Workstation, I/O Write or Integrated Optical Waveguide?

All of the above are accepted meanings for IOW.

There’s plenty of room here. Texting abbreviations are not necessary and can sometimes obscure the meaning of what you are trying to say.

• tlvx says:

I agree in principle, but… use some common sense for crying out loud.

• MarkFL says:

I don’t usually use such abbreviations, but when I read the comment, there was one that came to mind. One that I would NEVER spell out in full on this site.

• Not Given says:

Welcome to the internet. btw, I don’t text, it would take me 10 minutes to say anything.

15. Not Given says:

The funniest telemarketing call ever

16. Press1forDialTone says:

Get on the Do Not Call List.
    If they catch the scum, throw ‘em in jail, then tell ‘em they have a phone call,
    when they get them on the line, tell them there is a bomb in a loved one’s home.
    Sorry no outgoing calls tonight, bub.

17. HoJu says:

That was the telemarketing equivalent of “going postal.”

18. PeriMedic says:

You know, reading all the comments got me to thinkin’. Just a tiny step up from telemarketers are those annoying people at the kiosks in the mall. Usually they are selling overpriced hair tools or Dead Sea hand lotion. They call out to you as you walk by, walk over to you, or start hard-selling if you pause a second to tie yor shoe by the kiosk. If I wanted hand lotion, I’d stop and look at it. You don’t see the Nine West clerks hanging around outside their store bugging you as you walk by. Makes shopping at the mall VERY unpleasant and pushes me to more on-line shopping. Maybe one day I’ll tell that to the mall managers…

• HoJu says:

This makes me crazy. I tend to just ignore them, even though they know I can hear them. They really are no different than old timey snake-oil mountebanks.