Wells Fargo Working With Daughter To Make Her An Authorized Party On Late Mother's Loan

We’ve been closely following the case of a woman who was trying to save the home she inherited from her late mother, only to be confounded when Wells Fargo refused to deal with anyone but the dead woman. Earlier this week, Wells Fargo announced that they’d placed the foreclosure on hold and had reached out to the woman. In the latest update, both the woman and Wells Fargo have confirmed that negotiations are underway.

The woman’s campaign with Change.org garnered her over 150,000 signatures, and she says she’s happy things are looking up for her now.

“I feel like my mother guided all of this from her place in heaven; she wanted me to be still in my life and to have a home for the rest of my life,” she says of the ongoing negotiations. Thank you to each and every one of the 159,917 people who sent us their love, prayers, support and inspiration.”

The family is going to continue to monitor Wells Fargo, says a Change.org rep, to make sure it follows through on its promise to help the woman.

A spokesman for Wells Fargo confirmed that discussions are taking place, telling Consumerist:

We have spoken to [the daughter] and her attorney to discuss the situation involving her mother’s home and are pleased to be in ongoing discussions. The foreclosure sale has been placed on hold while [she] works to become an authorized party on the loan. Pending this outcome, we can move forward with discussions on property retention.

Comments

1. DanKelley98 says:

She should have been all along. Admit a little fault instead of PR speak, Wells-Fargo. Folks would respect you a little more.

• lyontaymer30 says:

why would they admit fault when there has been no proof showing it was their fault?

• JollySith says:

That would be nice, but stupid.
      Business 101 in modern America. Rule #1. Never apologize or admit fault, it doesn’t accomplish anything and will be used against you in a frivolous lawsuit.

• JJFIII says:

How was Wells Fargo at fault for a loan that was admittedly in default?
      I also find the whole “my mother guided all of this from her place in heaven” to be disgusting. So if the outcome of this turns out bad, will you say, “mom is in hell and she is screwing me over?” The fact that people really want to give all credit to angels, god or jesus when things go well, but not blame them when things go bad is akin to the obnoxious athlete who thinks that god or jesus got them their championship. I guess the other team or competitors were not quite “godly” enough.

2. Jaynor says:

There was a basketball player who did this “I do nothing but praise you and THIS is what you give me?”
    I thought it was pretty funny to blame god for a loss.

3. AcctbyDay says:

Wells Fargo refused to speak to the executor of the estate, or receive payments from the executor of the estate.

The fault is on Wells Fargo. It was not made clear in the original article whether or not the funds that were being made available to pay the mortgage were from the estate or not, however an honest attempt was made to wrap up loans belonging to the estate. WF acted in bad faith by not dealing with the executor. I, unfortunately had my mortgage purchased by WF after a refi – this article makes me wish that were not the case.

• lyontaymer30 says:

Do you know how mortgages work?

1) There’s no proof she is actually the executor or that if she is she sent in the right documents to prove that she is. They aren’t just gonna take her word for it. This is with any mortgage company, not just WF.

2) If there is no proof, they can’t give her information, they can’t tell her what she needs to pay to get it out of foreclosure or anything. They cannot give her any information by law.

3) Wells Fargo with 99% of the home mortgages, they don’t have a problem, if you let one bad story (that hasn’t even been proven true) to effect how you feel about a company then you must feel this way about every company because all of them have a story like this.

• MuleHeadJoe says:

Took the words right outa my mouth … except probably not as clear, insightful, or entertainingly informative as I would have put it, but close enough. (j/k)

As you said, the original article described a lot of frustration which was evidently due to some miscommunication, but there was no provision of facts by which we the masses could appropriately judge the situation.

When my Ma passed, she didn’t have a house or mortgage but I did have to deal with some creditors, as well as things like bank accounts. There was no formal will, her estate was minimal, and all I had to do to gain what I guess was a form of power of attorney for her estate was simply to establish that (a) she was dead, and (b) I was her son.

I had to mail in a photocopy of her death certificate to every account held in her name (banks, credit cards, utility or other service providers). In almost all cases, once that was done, I had complete and utter control of the account. I declared her estate non-existent and the minimal debts she had evaporated into thin air. The worst I had was dealing with her satellite tv service which decided that since she was dead that I was now receiving the service and they kept billing me for nearly 6 months.

• AcctbyDay says:

1. When reading a consumerist article you have to assume their not lying. In the original article it was stated that for months the op sent documents proving so.

2. Assuming thats the case, bc ya know we are assuming shes not boldly lying for sympathy, which we normally do for ops. Then the op is the only person the bank can deal with.

3. I wish I wasn’t doing business with a bank, one of many national banks that cause many harm now and again. What of it? I had no choice in my mortgage being sold to them, i voted with my dollars and refi’d to a smaller bank but we all dont get what we want. I actually do know how mortgages work and understand the rules and risks related to all aspects of the whole deal. I avoid doing business with companies that make mistakes too often, wouldn’t you?

4. NorthAlabama says:

it’s good wells fargo finally decided to do what was right, as opposed to what was “within legal guidelines”.

too bad it took so much to convince them that the spirit of the law is just as important as the letter.

5. do not do it says:

WF probably told her to see a lawyer, since she does not understand estate law. A bank should not be giving legal advice to anyone. If an estate is opened, and the bank is notified, the foreclosure should be halted to give the executor time to figure out what is going on. (The only exception to this would be if the daughter was a co-signer on the mortgage for some reason.) This whole thing could be cleared up in a billable hour or two with a good family lawyer. It did not require a petition.

6. Razor512 says:

when they get rid of the touch layer and integrate it into the LCD, it improves picture quality and viewing angles but it makes it easier to break the screen

with devices using a touch layer, the LCD screen is held in place using weak flexible clips and pads holding it in place, that is why when you drop your phone, the touch layer may break but the LCD is often not damaged because the body can flex around screen.

The touch layer has to be more rigid because it is coming in contact with your fingers and more force.

When the screen becomes the touch surface, then the support holding the screen in place has to be more rigid and thus when you drop it, you are more likely to kill the entire screen.

This will be bad for the iphone since apple mobile devices have no buffer zones at all which is why the glass always breaks on them. They get rid of buffer zones to make the device as thin as possible.

If you look at the samsung devices with the LCD with the integrated touch sensor, you will see that they add small buffer cones on the side of the device to prevent the screen from breaking when you drop the device on it’s side..

If apple does not take precautions for this, then you will end up with a device that is even easier to break than the iphone 4.

• Jimmy37 says:

Hey Consumerist,

Why is it that when I log in, my page returns to another article, just like it seems that happened to this commentator?

7. Jimmy37 says:

As I posted previously, the terms of the loan may have been such that it was due on death. If so, Wells Fargo was completely in their rights to ignore the woman as executor, because the estate is obligated to pay the loan in full.

What this woman wants to do and what is legally possible may be two different things.

I still don’t think we have been given the whole story.