How Early Should You Be Able To Put Out Your Garbage Without Getting Fined?

Though most people think of “Trash Day” as the day of the week on which their garbage is collected, many of us place our refuse on the curb the night before. But how early is too early to put out the trash?

This is the question being raised in New York City, where some residents are furious about $100 fines from the Dept. of Sanitation for putting their garbage out before prescribed hours.

“I think it’s crazy that without a warning or anything, it should have been a warning. Unless they’re trying to make money, which is what I think,” says one Queens resident who was fined for taking out the garbage 30 minutes before city guidelines allow.

Much like many cities and towns around the country, NYC has specific time slots for placing your trash bags and cans on the sidewalk. During the summer, you can be fined for putting the garbage out before 5 p.m.; the rest of the year, it’s 4 p.m.

While a local politician says the Dept. of Sanitation overstepped its bounds by enacting the policy without a public comment period, the bigger question is whether or not these guidelines are fair.

Thus, we’re asking you, the readers of Consumerist, to give us your feelings on just when garbage should be put out — and whether or not a fine should be levied for violators.

Comments

1. dolemite says:

I thought about this when we were going on vacation. Should I put it out 4 days early, or have 2x the trash to put out next week? I decided to let it pile up. Didn’t want people to know we weren’t at home.

• Jane_Gage says:

Take out all personal identifying information and drive to a commercial dumpster or train station at 2 AM. It isn’t worth getting mice.

• Oh_No84 says:

Normally you can drive to your local city trash dump/satellite location and dump it yourself in the cities dumpsters.

• menty666 says:

Our town doesn’t even have that option. I checked into it when I got ticked off at the monopo…err….town sanctioned carrier.

• trswyo says:

Ours monopo… is the city itself. They have a “transfer station” to take your garabe to. It costs $0.75 per bag and is only open 6:30AM to 2PM. Not very helpful for the working man.

This lovely city also forces every customer to pay over $5 a month to collect recycling. Doesn’t matter if you don’t use the city and choose to drop it off in the non-profit bin around town.

2. ChuckECheese says:

When I lived in El Paso, you couldn’t reasonably put out your trash more than about an hour before pickup time, because hordes of dumpster divers would dump your trash all over the street.

• Pre-Existing Condition says:

It’s like that where I live — People will take a box cutter to bags and dump the contents in the alley. Putting trash out early is more trouble than it’s worth. If it’s not the metal thieves, it’s stray animals that will shred the bags.

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

I’ve never heard of that problem in El Paso. Unless you have something enticing sticking out your gray and blue bins are safe. If I put out old furniture, appliances, or other good stuff (not in a closed bin) they will quickly disappear.

• ChuckECheese says:

Oh yeah, I forgot, living in El Paso was paradise. That must have been some other place with the smell of burning Juarez tires and streets and sidewalks sparkling with the glitter of thousands of broken beer bottles and the sound of puppy-mill chihuahuas barking 24/7, and the avenues and front yards of every neighborhood impassibly choked with cars. Oh, how I miss the bars on the residential windows, the endless stone and cement fences, and the worst Mexican food I have ever eaten (e.g. Chico’s). Yeah, nobody ever dumped my trash and recycling cans on the ground, week after week, if I dared put the trash out before 5 a.m. on a Thursday. And nobody ever yelled angrily from behind a closed door, “Throw it back over the fence!” when I politely knocked on the neighbor’s door to return their children’s toys they accidentally tossed into my backyard.

• Brave Little Toaster says:

“the sound of puppy-mill chihuahuas barking 24/7″ makes me more sad than anything related to trash pickups :(

• sierrak says:

We can’t put it out early where I live either – too many varmints. You can’t put the garbage out before 4 am on the day of pickup, otherwise, you can get a fine AND your garbage will probably be spread all over the street by ravens and bears.

And the ravens and bears will then hang out around your home making a nuisance of themselves, because you were so hospitable by providing them with such a nice meal!

3. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Back in the dark ages before the days of enlightenment, when we used to bag leaves in the fall and the garbage truck would actually pick them up, we would do so on the weekend (Saturday) and trash day wasn’t until Tuesday.

But back in the dark ages, no one cared.

• AtlantaCPA says:

Right now my trash day is Tuesday and I put it out over the weekend sometime (usually Sunday afternoon). My monday night/tuesday morning is too busy to remember. Luckily there are either no rules about it or no one cares to say anything.

4. Emperor Norton I says:

One of the extremely rare advantages of living in Chicago.
    Not only can you put it out whenever you want, assuming you’re one of the few thousand that have street pickup, instead of alley pickup, you can put out as much as you want & they’ll take it all!

• NotEd says:

But out here in the ‘burbs things are a little stricter, depending on if any complains or not.

All I know is that if it’s got any kind of metal in it I will leave it at the start of the weekend and 1 different metal collectors that comb my neighborhood all weekend will pick it up to sell. Sometimes I can’t believe the stuff they have found when they co past my house. 8 bicycles? An ATV? 3 furnaces and a pot belly stove?
      Crazy.

• Emperor Norton I says:

Many of the metal pickers are thieves!
        There’s no way some of those bikes were thrown out. They’re stolen from yards where the bikes aren’t locked up.

• NotEd says:

Perhaps. We have up to 3 who go through our neighborhood every weekend prior to our Monday collection day and I’ve seen the local police give them a look from time to time with no real trouble, though.
          And to be fair on some weekends I have seen bicycles, old appliances, engine parts and other things piled up near the curb starting Friday or Saturday, so they really don’t even need to steal. The ATV was an extreme example.
          Honestly I even saw my neighbor cleaning out his garage a few weeks ago throw out his son’s old bike, as well as a bunch of other stuff. Some local kids went to grab the bike and a few pool toys at the same time one of the pickups stopped and the guy helped the kid get the bike out of the pile (admittedly because he wanted some of the other stuff it was lumped in with).
          My major complaint is that a lot of what they pick up looks like it is in fine condition and probably should be donated, but that is an issue with my neighbors, not the guys on the trucks.
          I did have one time where they took some old fixtures, like a fireplace screen, from my garbage, but left something else from their truck to make room for it. That is annoying, especially if the garbage men won’t take it or if whatever it is falls apart and litters my lawn.

5. benson304 says:

My HOA says you’re not supposed to put out trash before 9PM the night before or else you can face a $25 fine. It’s not overly enforced though it seems. I think it helps because that way trash isn’t sitting out all day – 8PM would make it a little better though and most of the time trash is out starting around then without hassle.

• Murph1908 says:

My old HOA was the same, and we would abide by the rule. I too didn’t want to see piles of trash out there all day.

But I also didn’t get my panties in a bunch when there was a bag or 2 out early once in a while. We had to put ours out at 8 AM a couple times because we weren’t going to be home that night.

So long as people didn’t do it every week, there’s no harm when it needs to be done due to a conflict.

Common sense and courtesy on both sides of the situation works well.

6. LoadStar says:

Especially in NYC, I can understand wanting to control how early the trash goes out. Put out the trash too early, and it just gives rats and other outdoor pests a home and food to eat.

I think $100 might be a bit on the steep side, though, especially on a first offense.

• MaxH42 needs an edit button says:

Also, imagine walking down a block where 20+ cans full of trash have been baking in the hot sun all day.

• MathMan aka Random Talker says:

Dude, ever been to NYC? No cans in Manhattan. People just put their bags straight up on the street. It’s discusting walking by a 200 foot long pile of trash stack 4 feet high around some of the apartment buildings on trash day but, until I think I have a more feasible solution I’m not complaining too loudly.

• MaxH42 needs an edit button says:

Yes, although I haven’t spent much time there since I moved away in 1994. “NYC” has four other boroughs though, and in some of those, cans predominate.

• MathMan aka Random Talker says:

I’m in Queens so I hear ya. For some reason I’ve been very short-tempered in my comments today. My apologies for internet offenses.

• Oh_No84 says:

Its call tear everything down and build alleys like real cities have.

• GreatWhiteNorth says:

New York has (had)… he Avac is New York’s only pneumatic garbage-collection system. Designed in the late nineteen-sixties to service Roosevelt Island’s housing developments, the system runs under all the island’s high-rises. When people throw their garbage down the trash chutes, it piles up for several hours, until a trapdoor opens, sucking the waste into a big underground pipe.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2003/11/17/031117ta_talk_taylor#ixzz24rjupPGR

• Sarah of Get Cooking says:

Not just rats, but sometimes the trash takes up the entire sidewalk and makes foot traffic difficult. No one wants to walk that close to a pile of trash that may have rats rooting around in it. The later it goes out the better.

That said, in Manhattan, most buildings handle their trash as a whole, instead of individual residents putting it out. Residents leave their trash in a specified area and the superintendent moves it to the curb/garbage pick up point at the right time. Walking around a neighborhood the night before garbage pickup is not pleasant.

7. Hi_Hello says:

As someone who moves around a lot…different cities…not just neighborhoods, finding out when and what time I can put out trash is one of the many things I did. I figured it’s something people are suppose to do so they know what’s up and avoid getting fines…

• MathMan aka Random Talker says:

Quite easily actually….

I searched for 10 seconds and found this for NYC.

• MathMan aka Random Talker says:

Wow, I totally misread your comment. I. am. an. ass. I read it as “how are people supposed to figure it out” whereas you said, “I figured it’s something people are suppose to do so they know what’s up and avoid getting fines…”

I. am. dum. b.

• Hi_Hello says:

hahaha it’s cool. I do that all the time. I had to re-read what I typed a few times to make sure I didn’t type anything weird.

But like you said, 10 seconds!! Before the internet, people just call the trash people.

The problem is new people ask the neighbor…which is probably guessing or heard from another neighbor…which passed on bad info. I know most neighbors have no clue when to take out trash when EVERYONE takes out trash when they need to wait a day because of a holiday.
        Everyone is always looking to see whatever else is doing..even if everyone else is wrong.

I ask, but also double check because if I get fined, my neighbor isn’t going to pay for it.

8. josephbloseph says:

I think it’s 5 or 6 PM here, which works for me. I usually put it out closer to 10 or 11 pm.

9. chiieddy says:

When I lived in Boston, there was a rat problem in Beacon Hill due to the Big Dig. They changed the garbage hours to no garbage on the street until after 5 am the day of pickup. Pickup was at 7 am.

It stunk but it did the trick. We still put our trash out the morning of to prevent racoons and other animals from getting into the cans.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Yow. There ALWAYS was a rat problem on Beacon Hill. For years I lived on Charles Street near Pinckney and that was the only time I saw big rats scrambling across the streets at night. Never saw anything quite like that when I lived in Manhattan.

• chiieddy says:

During the Big Dig (this was 12 years ago when I first moved to the area), they were out in the middle of the day and the size of small dogs.

10. Platypi {Redacted} says:

Put it out early, but in front of your neighbor’s house!

Funny but sort of related story. We don’t have any guidelines for time on putting trash out, so we left the bins out when we left on vacation. My mother-in-law was staying there part of the time we were gone, but didn’t want to bother her with putting them out, so we just did it. When we came back, the bins were still full, but pulled in to their normal place by the house. The mother-in-law was “helping out” by bringing in the garbage/recycling bins, but I guess didn’t notice that they were still FULL! Not a huge deal, since we don’t generate trash while we are away, but just made me laugh thinking of what was going through her mind!

11. InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

With a population density like New York has, I can understand having a rule about how early trash can go out and be left sitting on the kerb. If you think about it, would you really want all of that trash on the street during the hottest part of the day in the middle of summer? Add that to the fact that the longer the trash sits out, the greater the chance of a vermin problem.

12. redskull says:

At the risk of sounding like a cranky old man with nothing better to complain about, this is one of my pet peeves about my neighborhood.

Here me out: In my neighborhood, trash day is on Thursday. Most people put their trash out sometime after 5 on Wednesday, which I can’t complain about. What I can complain about is the two or three nimrods on my street who insist on dragging their trash to the curb on MONDAY. Yes, Monday. That gives the dogs and raccoons (and even big old blackbirds) well over 72 hours to knock their barrels over, rip open their bags and spread their trash all over their yard and the street. Which happens every single week.

The people who do this are old and retired and apparently are so terrified that they might somehow miss trash day one week that they overcompensate by preparing for it three days too soon.

For the record I drag my trash to the curb on Thursday morning so the scavengers (both animal and human) have the least amount of time possible to root through it.

• chiieddy says:

I have a set of neighbors who leave their cans at the edge of their driveway EVERY DAY and bring their trash out to it. Often by trash day, they’re well overflowing and anytime a good windy storm, such as a nor’easter hits, I get medical waste (plastic gloves) and their food trash all over my yard. I often can’t get the stuff that ends up in the woods picked up until Spring.

• who? says:

My problem was that the next door neighbors took the cans out to the curb one day and just left them there. After they’d been sitting there for several weeks, I complained to the city (there’s an app for that now), and about a week later, their bins got red tags on them with a warning, saying that trash day was Thursday, and the bins would be confiscated if they weren’t brought in. That got them to bring them in. Once. Then they were out at the curb again for several weeks, so I complained to the city again. Now the neighbors don’t have trash bins at all. I have no idea what they’re doing with their trash, but it doesn’t seem to be piling up anywhere, and I don’t hit the bin when I back my car out of the garage anymore, so I honestly don’t care what they’re doing.

13. madrigal says:

I wish the city I lived in would do a better job of enforcing other things trash related. They require trash cans with lids, but my landlord does not have them. We are in an area that has a rodent problem, and yes, I have had them in my apartment (eek!). Not to mention, the trash gets put out every 2 weeks. Gross. You can see holes in the trash bags.

I think anytime after 4 pm is good. Businesses can put them out before they close.

• Oh_No84 says:

Some people work night shifts and 12 hour + shifts (think emts, doctors, etc), so I would say anytime 24 hours before to accommodate everyone and ensuring trash is not left out all week.

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

I don’t even want to imagine the stench of a block’s worth of garbage baking out in the hot sun all day. And yes, EMTs, doctors, et al do work 12+ hour shifts, which should make it possible for them to put out their garbage about 12 hours before pickup.

• Kaonashi says:

I know doctors who work 30 hour shifts, I wonder what they’re supposed to do for garbage if they don’t live with someone or have an arrangement with someone to take their garbage out for them. With limited and scattered days off too it could be weeks before a day off falls on the garbage day.

14. benminer says:

I don’t think “the bigger question” is whether or not the fines are fair. The Dept. of Sanitation should not have authortity to levy new fees without public comment and approval from the City Council. (or whatever they call it in NYC). It doesn’t matter how fair or reasonable these new fines are; they don’t (or shouldn’t) have the authority to decide on their own to implement them.

15. Hoss says:

People w wheelchairs and strollers shouldn’t need to be in the street because sidewalk access is blocked. On the other hand, cities and towns shouldn’t just guess on who’s trash is in front of a multi-unit building w more than one owner (condos, etc). I got tagged for trash that wasn’t ours. We respect free access

16. Oh_No84 says:

Clearly anytime the day before should be acceptable as people could work long shifts/night shifts so they might have to put it out at noon the day before.

The rule should be 24 hours before pickup to ensure trash is not left out all week long.

• Dryfus Ranon says:

Thats my city’s ordinance but if it was placed out that far ahead, the neighborhood would loook like a dump from all the animals enjoying the munchies.

17. Laura Northrup says:

In my city, it’s 7 P.M., but anecdotally the city seems to patrol and fine more in neighborhoods that are largely absentee landlords compared to neighborhoods that are largely owner-occupied.

18. kranky says:

Our trash trucks start at 6 AM and since I’m up at 5 for work, I just take it out then.

19. Pre-Existing Condition says:

In my city, the rule is 5:00pm the night before.

In practice, I try to put it out in the morning around 6:00am. Anything before that is just asking for trouble — stray dogs, raccoons, homeless, or metal thieves will just make a mess that needs to be cleaned up in the alley.

I’d rather there be more flexibility in timing for putting out trash but stricter enforcement for cleaning up messes in the alley. I think the problem would resolve itself.

20. GrayMatter says:

Our town states after 6 pm. Regarding metals and other recyclables, we put them in a blue bag and that gets picked up separately. We put that out early; the actual garbage goes out in the morning because of critters.

21. gglockner says:

In my neighborhood, there are coyotes and occasionally a bear. I don’t put the trash out until about 6:30 am. Wish my neighbors did the same.

22. Tim says:

You have to balance the convenience of the resident with the aesthetics and smell of the neighborhood. Really, you want to minimize how long piles of trash are out in the hot sun smelling like God knows what.

Now, if you can require that all trash is in a heavy, closed bin, that makes it a lot better. But I don’t think New York City does that.

23. polishhillbilly says:

here in the sticks, we put our trash out at 5:00 am when it will be picked up sometime that day.
    I have a 90 gallon can, and I can put any freaking thing into the can I want. Tires included.
    pick up is weekly, $18/month.
    I do have to store the can in a custom built bear proof enclosure.

24. JollySith says:

I used to put mine out in the morning. I have to be at work at 7am So I would haul the trash out at about 6am. Now I am forced to do it the night before or risk missing the trucks. They started coming earlier and earlier. This week they were there at 4am. The city web site lists 6am as a start time.
    Now I don’t have a problem with this, but if I get a fine for setting it out too early in the evening or late afternoon I will start hauling my trash to the city managers house (1.5 blocks away) and leaving it on his curb.

25. Starfury says:

I think that we have a city ordinance that says 24 hrs before/after garbage day the cans can be put out. We roll them out Sunday after dinner and put them away when the kids get home from school. We’re on the beginning of the route since all our cans (trash/recycle/green) bins are usually picked up by 8am.

26. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Mine goes out the night before since my garbage lady comes around 5 AM. Our township doesn’t have ordinances on things like this (or most of the things I read about here), and I’m glad I don’t have to worry about the exact time or date the garbage can goes to the road.

That being said – I don’t put gross stuff in the garbage. Anything that composts goes into the garden, meat bones go into the field, and edible meat scraps go to the two outside stray cats. A lot gets recycled. The rest is bagged up securely, so there’s nothing gross for bears, raccoons, or dogs to find.

27. Martha Gail says:

Ah..apartment life. I have door-side trash pick up 5 nights a week.

28. Cerne says:

Ah NYC where if it isn’t prohibited, it’s mandatory.

29. sierrak says:

none of the poll options are good if you live in a place with varmints – where I live, you can’t put the garbage out before 4 am on the day of pickup, yes, that’s right, I said 4:00 a.m. Otherwise, you can get a fine AND your garbage will probably be spread all over the street by ravens and bears.

30. Dryfus Ranon says:

Due to the numerous animals scouring my nighborhood throughout the year, between 5am and 7am. And luckily, no recycling and unlimited 33 gallon bags (from Costco 7 cents each).

31. JJFIII says:

Living in a condo, I take out my garbage whenever I want. There is a giant dumpster. I can put it out at 2am or 2pm or anytime in between . I do try to empty my trash into the dumpster the day before or morning that the truck comes to pick it up.

• msbaskx2 says:

Uhh.. irrelevant? The article isn’t talking about people who use group dumpsters. It’s about people who put their own trash cans on the curb/street for pickup.

32. Kisses4Katie says:

lol This is terrible…. it reminds me of the time I was living with my Mom in Tampa. We set up garbage service and put out our trash the night before. It failed to get picked up, the garbage man drove right by. We called to see what was up, and the response we received was that ‘the sanitation department sent out drivers before 5 am to see if anyone placed their garbage out early. The would mark it off on a map, and then give it to the garbage pickup drivers. Then they would skip that house when they came by ONE HOUR LATER.’ My mother and I were in disbelief. You mean to tell me we pay taxes for this nonsense? We came to joke about the “garbage Nazi” and if anyone rolled around before 5, we’d laugh about it. But it raised a whole series of questions. You mean the entire county employs a group of undercover drivers to simultaneously drive through all the neighborhoods and municipalities to make sure no one’s garbage is out early less than an hour prior to regular pickup? If we are paying for pickup regardless, why does it matter what time I put it out? Why should they expect everyone to jump out of bed at 5 am to pull their trash to the curb, just to make it in the narrow window between inspection time and pickup time? Do they carry an actual map, or is it just a list? The mystery continues. Never actually saw a county car before the garbage truck rolled around, but if you put it out early, it surely would not be picked up. Crazy!!!

• Libertas1 says:

I have a long standing policy that if what I sit out isn’t picked up by the city trash service which I pay for, it will sit there until it is either picked up or I get tired of looking at it and kick it into the middle of the street.

• dks64 says:

Wow, that is BS. What if you work 12 hours shifts overnight and you’re not home within that hour window? Or you don’t get home until 2am because you worked a night shift? Expecting people to be up that early just to put the trash out is criminal.

• AstroPig7 says:

Agreed wholeheartedly. Also, If there’s no angle for a fine, then what’s the point in doing this? It’s almost as if someone in the city government wanted to give their cousin a job and couldn’t think of anything useful.

• 180CS says:

One time our garbage company skipped my house two weeks in a row, both times refusing to come pick it up again.

Seeing as their main offices are only about a 20 minute drive, I dropped my trash off myself – in the presidents reserved parking spot.

• consumerd says:

I will bet they didn’t miss your house ever again. That happened (though they don’t have designated spots) to my dad once since he’s responsible for streets and trash in a small town. Next day before they headed out they had a little meeting about it and they had a video. They also read the note on the video and all the employees on that route got a copy of it. my dad gave the driver and the two helpers the day off without pay as a reminder to be sure to pick up all trash! He paid another crew overtime to ensure all trash was picked up on their route. He said whatever trash they find unpicked up is an additional day off (without pay) you get! They didn’t find anymore trash, but they sure didn’t miss anymore after that day off (without pay) they got.

• Smiling says:

That is an incredible waste of tax payer dollars.

33. Lyn Torden says:

Where I live, the trash pickup can start at midnight and run for the entire designated pickup day. My next door neighbor is an industrial construction supervisor and is often not back home way past midnight. He puts his trash out the morning before. If he waits until the next morning, it might sit there for a week.

34. hoi-polloi says:

In Pittsburgh, you can put out trash between 6 p.m. the day before collection and 6 a.m. the morning of. Because of where we are on the route, I can usually sneak it out as late as 8:00. I think that’s reasonable, since you don’t want garbage endlessly baking on the curb, bags leaking or getting torn open, etc. I’ve never heard of the city fining for people putting out before that, but it wouldn’t greatly upset me.

35. shepd says:

The real problem is the city is doing waste collection.

The city is incredibly inefficient at this. I recall a city near mine deciding they were tired of flat-rate garbage collection, and decided that rather than get all the money from taxes, they’d use taxes AND charge per bag.

So, enterprising people decided to run their own private garbage collection service at a cheaper rate per bag (and, funny enough, they didn’t even get the tax money, and of course they had to pay to dump it off–that’s how inefficient the city is at it). The city countered that by making it illegal.

If your private waste management company that DOESN’T have a government granted monopoly (I’ve seen plenty of examples of “private” waste management where it’s still illegal to compete with them being crap) the source of this problem would evaporate.

• drewg says:

Private trash is a terrible idea.

I recently moved from an area where water + sewer + trash were charged together, to a new area where trash is private, with water & sewer still public? Guess what? I pay more with private trash.

Worse, I get to look at trash cans EVERY single weekday. And I get woken up at 6am EVERY SINGLE WEEKDAY by a $#%#$% private trash truck cruising by to pick up 2 or 3 cans from their subscribers on our street. They ought to at least regulate the pick up days for neighborhoods. Sigh.

36. Dragun says:

Where I live, (southern CO) we cannot put the trash out until morning of pick up. The bears like it too much….

37. Andrew says:

I put the cans out on the curb at around 7am before leaving for work. My garbage guys will pick up literally ANYTHING that you can fit in a black bag….

38. Bor&Mitch says:

After 5PM is reasonable. At least the day is winding down. The issue is with people who have decide at around noon that they’re just not going to be going out again and put their trash out in the middle of the day.

• Pryce says:

I did that one time. I had to travel for work, and left home at 13:30 on a Monday. I put the trash out on the way out the door to be picked up the following morning. We had a new baby in the house, and I was leaving the wife alone for two days with him. She was still recovering from a C-Section, and logistacly it would have been hard to wrangle the baby, trash cans and our drive way.

Trash was in a solid can with no risk of being strewn about.

HoA pinged me on the situation for putting it out 3.5 hours earlier than allowed in by laws. I’m still smarting from the situation.

39. Jeff asks: "WTF could you possibly have been thinking? says:

I’d just be glad they are putting it out for collection rather than throwing it, say, in the yard of an abandoned house or in the ditch somewhere on their way to work or something.

40. botardtim says:

As a former resident of NYC, I can say, let them be fined. The notice of when you can take your trash out has always been on the city sanitation website (e.g. After 5pm, MWF based on your block). Particularly in the hot summer, I think this should be strictly enforced. I do not want to walk home from work amongst your smelly, hot, and rotting trash. The sidewalks of New York are a commodity, don’t fill it up with your trash until it is absolutely necessary.