Which Of Your Purchases Have Kept Working Long After They Should Have Quit?

In this age of built-in obsolescence, it’s more than a pleasant surprise when you get an extra year out of that old laptop, a few additional miles out of those comfortable shoes, or a couple hundred cups of coffee you hadn’t thought you would get from that machine on your kitchen counter.

Over at Reddit, someone posted the picture seen here of a Nintendo 64 game console that looks like it’s been put through the wringer more than a few times — and which has to be at least a decade old — but which the owner says “Still works and still gets played every day. Its a tank.”

That goes us wondering about those unexpectedly durable items you don’t throw away, even if your friends mock you for it.

There can be several reasons for keeping a still-operating relic. Maybe it never stopped working properly and you’ve never had to give any thought to finding a replacement. Or maybe it’s something that only requires a bit of duct tape and elbow grease to keep it in working order. And then there are those things that hold a special place in your heart/mind, but which you’re not willing to consign to “museum piece” status.

We want to hear about all of them — How long you’ve had ‘em, how long you expect to keep ‘em, and what you’ve got to do to maintain them — so tell us your tales in the comments.

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

My furnace, and my water heater. My WH lasted 20 years, and JUST had to replace it. My furnace is quite possibly as old as the house (1966). The problem there is although it works, I’d be saving money every year if I replaced it and the A/C unit. In fact, the furnace is so old is wasn’t actually designed to utilize air conditioning at all.

• ilovemom says:

We did this recently. Mostly because replacing the 20-30 year old furnace allowed us to get rid of a disintegrating chimney (new furnace is direct vent). I was expecting noticeable savings on natural gas during the winter, since we got a 99% efficient furnace. I’ve been pretty disappointed in savings. At least I didn’t have to re-point and line the chimney.

• Silverhawk says:

That’s disappointing. We’ve been looking into new furnaces, and had considered a 99% AFUE furnace. We’ve had 2 HVAC contractors specifically recommend 80% furnaces over the 98-99% types.

• ecuador says:

Actually, water heaters often last more than 20 years.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I know, but they can also last exactly as long as the warranty. It’s always a bit of a toss-up on how long it’s going to go before leaking.

The good news is the new one has to be put way low on heating, because it’s such a beast. We’ll probably save a good deal of money every year.

• Bibliovore says:

Our water heater is about 20 years old (at least we think it is; we’ve only had the house for 4 years, but we think it’s the original one) and going strong. Ditto the roof, and for that matter the furnace and AC. When we bought the house we got the good advice to put 1% of the purchase price into a repairs-and-maintenance fund each year, so we’re ready when they all go at once….

2. steveliv says:

I’ve got a Super Nintendo, a Sega Genesis, and a Sega Saturn that still work perfectly fine.

• MathMan aka Random Talker says:

I will see your Genesis and raise you the “Master” system.

• sakanagai says:

Not only does my Master System still work, the 3D glasses are still functional (one of the arms is now made of pipe-cleaners, though).

• MathMan aka Random Talker says:

The only game I have for the 3d glasses is Space Harrier 3D. I haven’t played in YEARS and I never did beat it….

hmmmm tell my wife I might not see her for a couple days…

• Overman says:

I still run my Odessey II b*tches!
        K.C. Munchkin FTW!

3. The Upright Man mk2 says:

I have a Nintendo 64 that still works, though I don’t think I’ve actually played the thing since 2000 or so.

4. madrigal says:

My mom’s stove that is over 24 years old finally stopped working the other day. The oven worked fine, but the burners would not heat up.

• nishioka says:

> I have a Genesis and an NES that still work. With the NES, I have to blow the cartridge and wiggle it back and forth in the system to get it to work, but that is part of the novelty.

If you have a front-loading NES you can replace the 72-pin connector. They’re about $10 on eBay. Just open up the shell, remove the heat shield, pop off the old connector and put the new one on. Works like new when you’re done!

5. Taed says:

My 8th grade girlfriend gave me a wallet, which I’ve been using for 31 years now. It’s fairly worn, but still very functional. My wife thinks that I should get a new one, but I tell her (jokingly) that it would be dishonoring the love that I once shared with my 8th grade girlfriend (we kissed twice). I made a compromise (again, jokingly) with my wife that if she got my old girlfriend to get me a new wallet, I’d use it.

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

Trolling your wife – well played, sir. That usually gets me threatened with stabbing, like when I told her I was joining the SCA and said she could be my wench now.

• Libertas1 says:

I just gave up the leather Jack Daniels wallet I had owned since Junior High school. Easily 20 years old. The belt chain was long gone, the stitching was starting to go, and the embossed logo was obliterated from wear.

What made me let it go more than anything was that it had metal buttons on it, and I would have to pull it out of my pocket during my daily trek through the metal detectors at work.

6. incident-man stole my avatar says:

my wife bought a Panasonic 28″ TV in 1986 and it’s still working.. for years it was running at least 4 hours a day.. we’ve gone through several other tvs since then.

Also I have Dell computer that was built in 1999 that still running.. I’ve upgraded the memory and hard drive but it’s been a good machine

• incident-man stole my avatar says:

left out my 1985 ADC cd player.. still my primary cd player, paid $168 for it and it went on sale the following week so I got a partial refund being it to $149

7. MarvelaCachu says:

I have a Mac SE30 that I still let the kids play old games on. My biggest worry is that someday I’ll need to reload the OS, and I’ll find that the disks have been misplaced.

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

You can find, legal copies of the older OSes on the web for free. I’ve had to load system 6 on a few machines over the years :)

• Fishnoise says:

I loved my old, off-lease SE/30 — sold it to finance a used PowerBook Duo 230 when Apple was about $12 a share. I should have put the money into the stock instead.

8. dragonfire81 says:

Nintendo stuff is generally built to last. I have a 1985 NES that still works, a Super Nintendo that got part of its external casing damaged in my last move and still works, an N64 that still works. and a 2 original grey gameboys that still work despite being dropped multiple times. The only Nintendo system I’ve had misfortunes with is my DS. I lost the first one when I dropped it and borked the top screen. I have another now but the touch screen is acting up.

I’m not sure if it means anything, but most of the technology I remember lasting is at least 10 years old:

- My first two cell phones were NOKIA brick phones that could stand up to almost anything. I even had one get run over by a car and still work! (the case was destroyed but the internals still worked perfectly)

- I remember the first walkman I ever had (it was an off-brand) last me years, despite me seeming to drop it or otherwise abuse it on a regular basis.

• thomwithanh says:

“- I also remember a huge old grey VCR in the basement of my first house that we got nearly 20 years out of. I think we finally ditched it for a new model in 1998.”

Was it a top-loader? My uncle had one of those from around 1985 and it was still running like a beast when he finally ditched his VHS collection a few years ago.

9. pecan 3.14159265 says:

My MacBook is past 6 years old now and while it’s just a touch slower and I can’t put anything graphics intense on it, I can browse the internet, stream video, and do everything I would normally do on a laptop and I have no intention of replacing it until it does quit on me. We live in a culture of disposable electronics, but also of planned obsolescence, so I think 6 years is a pretty long time for a laptop to keep ticking.

• PercussionQueen7 says:

Yup. My MacBook is on its 3rd hard drive, and it really needs a new inverter board, but it still runs – albeit on an external monitor. I believe it was bought October 2007, so I’m coming up on 5 years. It’s lasted longer than my two serious relationships, lol!

10. Rockfish says:

I have a 1986 Chevy Pickup that is tagged “Historic” that still runs like a top … I use it to haul trash to the dump, and picking up building materials for household projects. Both my daughters & my brother have used it to haul their belongings when they’ve moved from here to there. I bought it just for those purposes 5 years ago and replaced the water pump myself last year, something I would never now attempt on a new vehicle. Best $500.00 I ever spent.

11. klobbersaurus685 says:

I have a 1996 Dodge Neon with 262,000 miles on it. I can do all the maintainence and repairs myself, so it’s really cheap to keep running.
    I also have the first gen ipod with the actual scroll wheel and I use it everyday. I don’t want to get a new one, but I’m running out of room for music.

• Snowblind says:

Mine had about 180K when I sold it. I got the wife’s Subaru Forester, which has 150K on it.

Runs as good or better than the day we bought it.

12. dprboyne says:

My 40gb iPod photo (2004) still sounds amazing and has my entire music library. My 20-inch iMac G5 (2004) still works great and it’s been used several times a week ever for the past eight years. They may be more expensive initially, but the Apple products I’ve owned are certainly built to last.

• elangomatt says:

Yeah they work just fine up until a hardware component goes bad and you find it has been soldered onto the motherboard inside of the sealed case.

13. Smiling says:

My husband’s mom still has a working Atari and a few games.

• limbodog says:

I just sold my working intellivision and about 30 games. That sucker was still fun too.

• Bibliovore says:

Our Atari 2600 Space Invaders cartridge somehow went through the laundry when I was a kid. It came out with the case broken to the point that the card was visible. We dried it out for a couple of days and then gave it a try, and it worked just fine for years. (For all I know it’s still working, somewhere; I have no idea what happened to that Atari.)

14. limbodog says:

Apparently silver fillings are only supposed to last 5 years, mine have lasted 4x that much.

• proscriptus says:

Really? I’ve never had a filling go bad and all of mine have been in for at least 20 years, some for 25.

15. falnfenix says:

my father’s Pentax K1000, which saw service in the South Pacific theater during the Vietnam war, still works. it’s a little cranky and could use a good internal cleaning, but it functions. one of these days i mean to get it blueprinted.

• falnfenix says:

oh, and i have my partner’s best friend’s mother’s Brownie Hawkeye, which also still works. that one was purchased in the 50s, i believe.

• pamelad says:

I have a Nikon FM 35 mm film camera, probably built around 1977, and it still works perfectly. Beautiful little camera with interchangeable Nikkor lenses. I used it professionally during my first “real” job out of college. It took quite a beating on the beaten reporters’ paths. I think I had to get its light meter fixed once, but that’s about all. I use a Nikon DSLR now, but I still have great affection for that little film camera.

• Banished to the Corner says:

I had a Pentax K1000 when I was in 8th grade, it went all over North America & China with me and was a wonderful camera.

When I was moving in 1996, the moving van arrived and the guys were moving the boxes to the truck – well, some lowlife stops his truck and started grabbing boxes from the sidewalk. He got a box of clothes, some kitchen stuff and the box with my camera equipment. :-(

16. Kuri says:

I have a perfectly working SNES, a functioning Dreamcast(sad panda moment, no games) 2 Game Gear units, and I recently tried using a Gameboy I’ve owned since I was 8, so almost 20 years, and it works like new still.

17. Jenny8675309 says:

Our Kenmore clothes dryer is 28 years old and it still works perfectly. The dryer was used and was left by the previous owners of our house. We figured that we would keep using it until it broke and then buy a new one but we haven’t had to do that yet (superstitiously knocking on wood). We haven’t done any maintenance beyond cleaning the lint screen. We are ,however, on our third washing machine.

• pamelad says:

Superstitiously knocking on wood, too. My Whirlpool clothes washer and dryer are about 24 years old, with not a single repair. We also have a 20-year-old Whirlpool refrigerator that has performed flawlessly.

Although these are not the most energy-saving appliances by today’s standards, they probably don’t make ‘em like they used too. If I have to buy a new washer, dryer or refrigerator tomorrow, I wouldn’t automatically just go with Whirlpool even though I’ve had such good luck with the brand. I’d check Consumer Reports.

18. Greg Ohio says:

My Canon Pixma printer. I needed to order ink cartridges, but couldn’t remember the model, and wasn’t at home. So I looked the order up on my Amazon account. I purchased it 10 years ago. It still churns out photo-quality prints. Still has its original print-head. I do only use Canon ink cartridges.

• elangomatt says:

My Pixma is still going strong too, though it is only half that old. Just got some nice cheap “compatible” cartridges the other day for it like I’ve been using all along and never have any problems.

• proscriptus says:

I think we got our Brother laser printer in 2005. I had to clean the pickup this year, as it’s been munching through 5,000 page cartridges steadily year after year. My wife likes to print out everything.

The cost per page could scarcely be lower.

19. Banished to the Corner says:

Well, this has actually been a bad year for me. I’ve lost several items:
    HVAC system – it was original to my condo; 48 years
    Coffee maker – my mother bought it for me in college in ’87-88? The glass carafe is still good.
    MP3 – lasted 4 years, it still works for storage but I can’t turn it on/off that button broke. I’m using it now as a backup storage device for music & some files.

I also have an air popcorn maker & a CD player at least 8-10 years old and my space heater & fan are both 15 years old. I use the fan daily in spring-summer-fall. The space heater is mainly used every Dec-Jan in the bathroom in the morning so I don’t need to turn on the heat for the house before I leave for the workday.

20. Ouija says:

I bought a watch at CVS based solely on the style. It was $7.99 and lasted 12 years…wore it every single day. It finally died last spring and I can’t find anything I like as much. And then there’s my beloved Mazda RX7 – got 20 years out of that, with no major repairs.

21. sir_eccles says:

The idea that we are in an age of built in obsolescence and that “they don’t make things like they used to” is a fallacy.

There were items produced in the past that broke quickly and there are items produced today that last longer than you’d expect. It is just our selective memory that conveniently forgets shoddily made merchandise made in the glorious rose tinted past.

• eyesack is the boss of the DEFAMATION ZONE says:

Word.

This was before my time, but 100,000 miles used to be the beginning of the end for cars. It’s certainly not NEW, but I’d say most cars now go that long before simply needing its first major repair (besides brakes and such.)

22. dulcinea47 says:

My brother has every game system since the original Nintendo. (including Nintendo products, Sega, Playstation, whatever I’m not thinking of ’cause I’m not a big game person.) He doesn’t use them all often, but they all work.

23. Snowblind says:

75 Honda CB550, 135K on it.

Still fast as hell, 50HP on a 420lb frame is a lot more than people then people realize.

24. Pasketti says:

When AT&T was broken up, you were allowed to purchase the phone that you had previously been renting. I paid the then-exorbitant sum of $80 for my genuine Western Electric Trimline Phone.

It’s been almost 30 years and it still works. Or it did a couple of years ago when we finally ditched the landline. They built phones like tanks. No such thing as planned obsolescence when they were expecting to rent the thing out.

25. elangomatt says:

I have a kindle 2 (yes I know it isn’t that old, but keep reading) that has a cracked screen and should be unusable. Instead though there are a couple of vertical and horizontal blank lines that start where the crack is and there is a black mark in the screen margins. It is still perfectly useable and I see no reason to replace it until the crack gets bigger and renders it unreadable. It has been like this for nearly a year now and it is still going.

26. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

I just got a Commodore 64 from a friend. I think that was supposed to have stopped working before I was born.

• Taed says:

My C64 (bought in the original run, around 1982) still worked fine, and I sold it a few years ago to someone younger than the computer.

I also had bought a working Tandy / Radio Shack Model 100 (basically the first laptop) a few years back because I wanted something very portable that had a built-in modem. I used it for the project that I wanted it for, and then resold it.

27. nicoleintrovert says:

4th Gen iPod (non-photo). Still works just fine. Got it for my birthday in 2004.

Still have a Pentax k-1000 that was my mom’s. I prefer it over any digital camera.

My original NES (I think purchased in 86 or 87) still works if you use scotch tape to tape the game down.

28. npeart1 says:

My front loading GE washer just broke (control board and bellow seal) after only 3 years of use. And GE won’t respond.

Oh, wait. did I read this article wrong??

29. final_atom says:

i have a hp laptop that is 11 years old that still works.

30. cousindave says:

Atari 5200 – the controllers have been rebuilt a couple of times but the counsel works fine

31. KyBash says:

1985 Buick LeSabre 285,000 miles. Uses a little oil. Loses a little more transmission fluid. It’s been through Death Valley, up mountains, and down into swamps.

Digital Venturis 486. 66Mhz. DOS 6.22. Used maybe once a month to update some files.

32. CONS.vs.CORPS says:

if the n64 console is in that condition i wonder what his controller joysticks are in…

33. Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

I helped buy a couple robots that have worked pretty well until recently. Those poor things have been through hell. http://xkcd.com/695/ Luckily, I just got the bigger, badder replacement and it has a massive laser, too.

34. BurtReynolds says:

Last I checked, my NES and most games worked. N64 too.

I have a 12 year old Cyberpower PC that still works too. My phone has more horsepower, but don’t expect it to last as long.

35. JollySith says:

My N64 doesn’t look quite that bad but it has been through a lot. I played it with my son yesterday.

36. RubiksDude says:

My gameboy. Had it since 92. Still works perfectly. Few dents and dings, but it is a brick. Love playing Tetris on it still.

My parents still have a giant antenna in the back yard used to get the local channels. My dad has to go out and turn it every so often when the wind knocks it around. I know that thing has been there since at least 86, but definitely much older than that.

37. NeverLetMeDown2 says:

My alarm clock. $15 digital alarm clock, bought it 20 years ago, still keeps ticking along, no matter how many times that snooze button has been hammered.

• ablestmage says:

My alarm clock is actually a hand-me-down, that my parents bought when they were newlyweds in the early 70′s. Tradition brand, imported by Sears Roebuck, model 47193. Has worked flawlessly since the first day out of the package.

• evilpete says:

Mine also ( and I got it at radio shack )

• Tenacity says:

Got ya. Mine was purchased in 1986. Let’s see; that makes it 26 years old. It has 2 alarms, and I can still choose to wake to radio or the alarm. It’s been through 2 husbands… :)

38. speaky2k says:

I have an old Atari 2600 that I got new as a Christmas present from Santa back when they were cutting edge technology that still works, as well as an original NES and SNES, all hooked up to an RCA TV I got around 1995. The TV is showing signs of age with the colors, but it still works good enough to play those video games in my basement. Plus I need that TV to be able to still use the old zapper guns.
    I also have a 1979 Jeep CJ7 that I recently replaced the body & repaired the frame on, but most of it is still original, or only repaired / upgraded. It runs a little rough since it still has an old carborator on it and it doesn’t like the ethanol in the gas, but I can’t find 100% gas local to me. I hope to keep this vehicle in good shape for another 30 years at least.

• Psydekick says:

Atari 800XL. We had a floppy drive for it. I’m 30 years old and distinctly remember watching my dad play Lode Runner and Jump Man for hours when I was 5, and my sisters say he played for many moons before that.
      The floppy drive died and I found a new one on eBay. It’s catch was broken but could still read disks.
      All the cartridges still worked. PacMan and a few others.
      If that’s still in my parent’s basement I’m so totally pulling it out when I get home.

• tungstencoil says:

Yes! Jumpman! You made my day, except for reopening the deep hole of longing where my XL computers used to live. I cut my teeth programming on these and other 8-bit systems, and at one point decided life couldn’t get much better than having a fully expanded XL and bootleg copies of just about every piece of software in existence at that time.

39. Kitty with attitude says:

We have a 1972 a/c unit that is going strong.This is a whole house unit, not a window unit. I have it tuned up each spring. Our technician said that it will last a long time since it is running so well. We did price a new unit. However, here we only use the a/c for about 20-30 days each year. Even with the huge increase in electricity costs, we can not justify upgrading the a/c until it breaks. Our break even point would be over 20 years! The people who owned the house before us did replace the furnace & air handler but now that is going on 12 years old. To replace both the furnace & a/c would cost around $7000. I won’t see enough savings in electricity or natural gas to pay for that much for almost 30 years, unless fuel prices go up dramatically. We’ll just keep tuning them up each heating & cooling season until they break.

40. Gomeggo says:

Dansko clogs. I still have my first pair from nursing school, and they’ve survived 8 years of 12-hour days.

41. gargunkle says:

I still regularly use my original Xbox (non-360) and my main home PC is a Pentium single-core (not as old the Xbox, I guess).

I think my Dreamcast still works, not sure about my NES or Genesis.

• gargunkle says:

Oh yeah, my clock radio I’ve had for probably 20+ years. It’s an old GE phone/digital clock radio combo. I haven’t used the phone for years.

42. Torchwood says:

I have a HP ze4930us laptop running a Celeron M 1.3 GHz purchased in February, 2005. It had WiFI, ethernet, and a dial-up modem. Within months, the memory was upgraded from 512MB to 1GB, and in 2009, the 40GB hard drive was replaced with a faster and more spacious 320GB hard drive. I replaced the battery pack twice. It has survived college and trips.

It will be semi-replaced by a new dv7t laptop that should be arriving today. The reason for replacement is that XP is going to be EOL in April, 2014, and I don’t want to be stuck with Windows 8.

43. Gary says:

My 23 year old Mac SE.
    Still fires up after all these years.
    Still have the original mouse, keyboard, 30MB external drive, and bag that the whole thing goes into.

44. nopirates says:

i bought a mac g4 tower in 1999. it’s a bit of a frankenstein machine now with a processor upgrade, 4 hard drives, an extra video card, and other misc things, but i still operate it as a music and print server

45. MrCappington says:

I’ve got two N64(nerd marriages are fun) and an old fat PS2 that still work great. I don’t use the PS2 much since a finally got a working PC emulator.

46. deathbecomesme says:

PSP 1st Gen. Bought on launch day(thanks gf!). I put emulators on it and now my gf uses it more than I do to play old nintendo and sega games.

47. Sean says:

I have a Timex watch that I got as a gift in 1976 or 77. It is the kind you have to wind. It went through the was numerous times. It no longer fits because it is a kids watch, but it still runs. It truly lives up to their old slogan . . . “It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin”

48. Bodger says:

My mid-90′s HP LaserJet 5P is still going strong after being connected and powered up essentially 24 X 7 since new. Even more impressive to me is my HP 41CV calculator which was made in 1983 or 1984 and is still serving capably on a daily basis — I have newer devices but none are as comfortable to me.

• Bodger says:

Oh, I forgot that I have a General Electric HIF47 travel steam iron that works like new (not that I iron much, being careful about the sorts of clothes I buy). My mother gave it to me when I left USAF basic training for technical school in 1965. I really see no reason to replace it since it appears destined to work until long after I’m gone.

49. UrBear says:

I bought one of the original TiVos in 1999; it worked flawlessly, with its disks spinning 24/7, until 2007, when I replaced it with a TiVo HD. I gave the original TiVo to my mother-in-law, and as far as I know it’s still running smoothly.

50. spectacularisms says:

My parents have an electric stove and washing machine that came with the house they bought in 1981. Not only are they still going strong, but they outlasted the newer washing machine I had installed in my place just two years ago, which has already required two major repairs. (Under warranty, of course, but still!)

Does anyone know if it’s possible to buy all-metal appliances anymore?

51. mrbitterpants says:

I bought a North Face moisture wicking shirt on clearance in 1989. I’ve been wearing it as a pajama shirt every night since then. Washed twice a week. Its not quite white anymore but the fabric is still perfect.

52. Overman says:

I ran my old Kyocera phone 9 years after the Patriot Act made it illegal.
    Had an extendable antennea and everything.
    Always had a strong signal.
    I dropped that thing off 20 ft scaf tower many times and it continued to work.
    Built like a tank.
    Eventually the carrier went out of business and I HAD to get a new phone.
    Singal is crap.

53. humphrmi says:

My circa 1992 NeXTstation Turbo Color is still going strong… running OPENSTEP for Mach 4.0.

54. cybrczch says:

My Panasonic microwave oven, purchased it in 1986 (it was the first thing I bought after moving into my first non-dorm apartment). The interior has glazed from the original harvest wheat color (or maybe buff?) now to a mottled brown, but everything still works. And I wanted to replace it so many times, but why replace a perfectly good microwave?

• evilpete says:

I had a microwave oven for 25 years, till the wife wanted a new one while I was out of town and threw it away and got a new one…
      Replaced a 1500 watt with a 800 watt…

I’m still annoyed

• ams199 says:

My sister is still using our original Sharp Carousel microwave from the early 80s – the ones with the dials and no digital displays. It’s huge and the lights dim when you use it, but it still works.

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

Funny how you mention this–my mother received a 750W Danby (!) microwave oven as a gift in 1990. Still uses it today on a daily basis with no problem whatsoever. The carousel still works as well, and yes, it still has its original glass plate and rollers to make whatever’s in it spin around.

55. Sian says:

Well, I’ve got a Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro that I bought when I moved to California in 2000.. 12 years later it’s still going strong, the only wear being a slightly less sensitive ‘v’ key.

• Deffox says:

I like that keyboard so much I got a unopened spare in storage for when my current one breaks. But the first one still works perfectly.

• Sian says:

I do like how I can easily take the top off with captive keys and no electronics and give it a good scrubbing.

56. RenegadePlatypus says:

Hot air popcorn popper. My folks bought it when they were married around 50 years ago, I have it now. Sure it’s a simple heating element and fan, but I have the feeling this will be the family heirloom that my children fight over when I die. The sounds, the smell, the nostalgia…. this will still be rockin’ when countertop microwaves are obsolete.

• NickRayko says:

Hot air poppers showed up in the late 70s, not 50 years ago.

I’ve got an elderly (early 60s) popper that works fine – a metal element in the base, and the popcorn-container just sets on top of the exposed element. No safety bits whatsoever – remove the container, and that red-hot element is open to the world. Makes far better popcorn than any other popper except for the movie theater units.

57. Silverhawk says:

My Honda HR214 push mower. Bought 26 years ago. Still starts on the first pull, self-propel still works. Only things I’ve had to replace are the wheels and the bag which all did wear out after about 19 years. The engine has never been worked on, other than an annual oil change. It smokes a bit on startup, but goes away after warm-up.

58. startertan says:

My old NES. My mom threw it down the stairs because my brother wouldn’t stop playing to get ready for his orientation to private (high) school. The top broke but we played it for years. It’s still down in my basement and I have no doubt that it still works.

59. dotkat says:

I have 36-year-old West Bend electric wok. It was a wedding gift for my husband’s first marriage (which was not to me). It still works and it way outlasted that marriage, too. Kudos to West Bend for making a kitchen appliance that still functions after 36 years. Wow!

60. Deersnypr says:

Brother HL 1440 laser printer purchased in 2001…. Still going strong and with the help of DD-WRT I have turned it into a wireless printer so it’s even keeping up with the latest printers.

61. Deffox says:

For really low tech, the washroom light bulb at my father’s auto shop. It came with the building when my grandfather bought the place in the 1950′s. No idea how old the bulb really is.

62. kc2idf says:

I have a backpack that finally quit a couple of weeks ago. I used it to carry all of my stuff to and from work, including two laptops at a time, for the past 12 years. It was a brand I’d never heard of and haven’t seen since, and I bought it originally for $5 at a flea market. By comparison, when I was a student, I barely got a year out of a backpack.

My mother currently has a computer that used to be mine. It is based on a Via Technologies MII 12000 motherboard, with 512 MB of RAM and a 1.2GHz Via C3 processor, which is a 32-bit chip. It is slower than death, but it still works, and runs Ubuntu Linux just fine. This became hers when her previous machine died in an Irene-induced flood last fall.

For that matter, her previous machine also lived longer than might be expected. It was an old IBM Aptiva that had been upgraded to a 450 MHz AMD K6 processor, and had 128 MB of RAM. Like her current machine, it was very slow, but it ran Slackware Linux just fine.

• proscriptus says:

I have a Granite Gear pack I bought around 1998, it’s still my weekend day hiking pack and looks essentially new–not one stitch is loose. When my son was a little younger I’d use it as sort of a seat when he rode on my shoulders, and I pack it to bursting. If it ever wears out I’ll fix it; and if I ever can’t fix it I’ll get another from them.

• Libertas1 says:

I thought surely YOU would have a tale about some nice Collins setup or a nice Kenwood TS-520 that wouldn’t die.

63. jubjubjr says:

My parents gave me a Sunbeam blowdryer in 1985, and it’s still going strong.

64. do-it-myself says:

I still have my MK I Sega Genesis. Still works too! Can’t say the same thing about my 200 pound Xbox that reads discs only when it feels like it.

65. Audiyoda28 says:

I’ve got an old Emerson microwave (550 watts!!!) purchased it when I went back to college in 1997 – still doing it’s thing 15 years later. I’ve gotten quite used to extending recommended times to accomodate the lower wattage.

Now that we’re nearing the end of our kitchen remodel we’ve installed a 1200 watt above the range microwave/convection oven. I’ve yet to nuke anything in it that comes out the way I want.

66. quirkyrachel says:

I have a stove and oven from 1961 that still work fine (mostly), plus two decade-old alarm clocks.

My parents have a coffee grinder that was a part of a wedding gift 30+ years ago. I think my Mom’s blender is from the 70′s, too.

67. meh_cat says:

I have a nine-year old Dell D800 laptop with an absolutely gorgeous 1920×1200 display. I carried it around for law school for three years, then it has served as my primary home computer ever since because the battery has basically died. It still runs Windows XP and Office XP but I use it to surf the web so it still serves that purpose. Very happy with the purchase.

68. "I Like Potatoes" says:

I have a Motorola V557 Flip phone that I’ve had since 2006. It still holds a charge for nearly a week before I have to recharge. I don’t text, I don’t use the web, I use my phone to talk so those old flip phones are the most comfortable to use. I think I will cry if it ever breaks.

69. kaleberg says:

It sounds like Radio Shack is still one up on Best Buy according to The Onion. http://www.theonion.com/articles/even-ceo-cant-figure-out-how-radioshack-still-in-b,2190/

70. Danny C. says:

I have a Boluva Accutron watch (the ones that keep time using a tuning fork) that was made in 1968. It has been cleaned once and has been running well the entire time. At the time it was made it was advertised as the most accurate watch in the world and was guaranteed to keep time within 1 minute/month. It still does.

71. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

My main TV is 20 years old.

72. whosyer12 says:

Magnavox VHS (full sized) Camcorder, purchased to record my daughters 2nd birthday party in 1986 for about $1400. The thing is HUGE. Hasn’t been used in years–but still works.

• Starfury says:

We have a High 8 camcorder that still works. Bought it about 14 years ago. Battery doesn’t hold a charge like it used to…

73. Crank says:

My mother has a 50 year old clock on the kitchen wall. It is the clock I grew up with, and the sight of it often makes me feel nostalgic.

It is a kitsch sunburst design, and since we weren’t exactly well to do 50 years ago, I suspect they paid very little money for it. But it just keeps working, and it has never been serviced.

• Cerealmom says:

Those “kitschy” items from our childhood are worth a small fortune now!

• iesika says:

My Granny had a huge clock on her kitchen wall that looked far too grand for the little farmhouse. I later found out my grandfather had stolen it from an old train station in about 1935, so there’s no telling how old that sucker was.

74. polishhillbilly says:

My 1895 dated M91 Mosin Nagant.
    I shoot it in 200 Meter As Issued Military Rifle Competition, and win most times.

Dads 1982 Silverado. 287,000 original miles. replace parts as they need it.

1929 Singer Treadel sewing machine. Brought it for $20, cleaned it up, lubed it and replaced the rawhide belt. Works great

75. momoftwokids says:

My 1961 GE electric stove is still going and going. And I know I haven’t even had to change a heating element since sometime in the 1980s.

76. mwatwe01 says:

An Atari 2600 from 1978.
    An Original Nintendo Entertainment System from 1989.

• iesika says:

My boss has his in his office. We were talking the other day about putting it out in the lobby for people to play while they’re waiting to see their lawyer (We’re super professional!).

He’s also got arcade cabinets and an old round wooden pong console in his garage, and an arcade DDR game.

77. Quake 'n' Shake says:

The Nokia 3310

78. DrLumen says:

Magnavox 19″ color TV bought in 1988. Picture is almost as good as the day I bought it. I would like to replace it with a new one but I don’t want to throw it out while it’s still working fine. I guess I could move it and watch it in the garage.

On the reverse side was a 27″ Sony TV that only lasted 1 yr and 2 weeks (just long enough for them to refuse warranty service). Proves that price and hype mean nothing. No more Sony for me – ever!

• maestrosteve says:

Gotta agree with you on the Sony stance. Just before LCD computer monitors became popular, I bought (what was then) an expensive Sony 17″ CRT monitor. $100 more than any other 17″ monitor. 1 year warranty. A week after the warranty ran out (1 year and 1 week after I bought it), I walked into my home office and it was filled with smoke that was pouring out the back of the monitor. Fearing a fire, I quickly unplugged it, and phoned Sony customer service. I understand I was a week out of warranty, didn’t have an extended warranty and they could have done something to help me, but what they did was the opposite. They connected me to Sony’s Product Safety Division, who kept me on hold for almost an hour, the only reason I held on that long was thinking they might help me replace the monitor, but instead told me to pack and ship the 40+ pound monitor at my expense to them so they could figure out why it happened, but they wouldn’t do anything for me. Ship it at my expense! No more Sony for me as well – ever!

• proscriptus says:

A TV repair guy told me to throw my 27-inch Sony away when it died. He also said that (in the CRT era) weight = quality. Maybe that’s why my 32-inch JVC i’Art from 2005 is flawless–it weights 168 pounds!

79. Muleskinner says:

Commodore 64 with Floppy drive still kicks.

80. Difdi says:

I found a Hamilton Beach stand-mixer at a garage sale for $8. Since a modern Hamilton Beach mixer with the same attachments and features starts at around $200, I figured it was worth $8 even if it didn’t run. It had chipped paint and was leaking oil, but was cool looking in a retro sort of way.

Got it home and plugged it in. Ran like it came from the factory yesterday. So I did a little research to find out when it was made. That made my jaw drop. Retro indeed. That particular model of Hamilton Beach mixer was only made between 1939 and 1947. That makes it older than either of my parents, and I’m almost 40. Ten years later and with lots of hard use, the mixer still runs like it came from the factory yesterday.

Only thing I dislike about it, is I’m missing one attachment for it. Anybody know where I can find a meat grinder attachment for a Hamilton Beach Model E stand mixer?

81. Geotis says:

I inherited a chainsaw my father inherited from his father. They both kept it in great shape their who lives. Now every time I go to start it up, it revs on at least the third try, every time.

82. golddog says:

I’ve got a few. I might be a borderline hoarder…

1967 Spirograph
    1970 Harmon Kardon Reel-toReel, Tuner and Amp – vacuum tubes FTW!
    1978 Atari 2600 (although I had to pick up new joysticks for it)
    1980 Apple II+
    1980 Honda CB750 Custom
    1981 Dark Tower board game
    2012 GE Stove

83. Bender6829 says:

I paid $20 to the priest when I married my wife 35 years ago today, and she is still going strong!

84. MwMike says:

1943 Generl Motors Refrigerator – The family got it in the middle of the night during the war, when the things were “hard to get”. It says Frigidaire- Made by GM on it. Still use it as main fridge.

85. eezy-peezy says:

not bought by me, but the Sunbeam toaster I now use is over 60 years old and still working well.

86. Zelgadis says:

I have an old Sunbeam clothes iron that used to belong to my great grandmother. The thing has to be at least 50 years old. Works better than anything new.

87. tnstatc says:

I have a Seiko digital watch that I purchased for $75 in 1984 and still wear every day. And the Mitsubishi 27″ color tv purchased I purchased in 1988 is still alive, although relegated to one of the kids’ rooms.

88. KnightCrusader says:

We have a 1979-1981 (not sure what year my dad got it) RCA two-piece VCR system (one of the top loaders) and the dang thing still works after all this time. I think they replaced the heads back in the early 90′s but it’s still kicking.

The wired remote still works too. Yes, I said wired.

Also it was in two pieces because the tape deck could be separated from the tuner and had an internal battery and a socket for a handheld camera, and we have that camera and it works too. However, the leather case for the camera has deteriorated quite a bit.

They sure don’t build things like they used to, that’s for sure. I still hold on to this old deck in case I need to watch or transfer an old VHS tape.

• KnightCrusader says:

Oh and we also have an RCA Select-a-vision Videodisc machine under the bed. Not laser, the one that the disc is a record and uses a needle to read it. It still works too, as does the huge movies that go with it, even though some of the movies have washed out color.

• KnightCrusader says:

Oh, one last one, we have an Amana Radarange Microwave made in 1983 and we still use that thing on a daily basis. It was one of the first ones with the digital controls, complete with VFD display.

Some days it irritates me that we still use this thing and it doesn’t have a turntable, but it still works so why throw it out?

89. Press1forDialTone says:

Uniden 5.8 gigahertz cordless phone and answering system now going on 12 years
    Heath/Zenith Advanced System 3 21″ color TV bought in 1991 still has beautiful picture
    and sound.
    Kenmore/Whirlpool (bottom of the line) Heavy-Duty Washer/Dryer pair bought in 1990 has
    never been serviced (but has had free inspections by Sears) and still work
    perfectly.
    Emerson (when they were still a company in St Louis) 12″ 3-speed table fan made
    in 1947 (yes, 1947), still looks and works beautifully, purchased by my grandmother.
    It is built like a tank, all metal and weighs 25 lbs, the motor is hugely oversized and
    as such is quiet as a mouse on high speed. Oh and is oscillates perfectly too. It
    has been oiled and kept clean all the time and I expect it will last another 50 years.
    The cord and wiring are high-quality rubber and are still soft and pliable with no cracks.
    Amazing American craftsmanship. I actually have two of them.
    There is NO substitute for original quality.

90. MacUser1986 says:

An orignal launch Xbox 360 console, the fact that it still works today with no repairs is a miracle.

91. leighj says:

I’ve purchased a Logitech Trackman Marble Wheel right after it came out, So it’s been 13 years. It’s a corded optical trackball, that just WORKS. No real drivers needed, This mouse has seen, Windows 95, NT, 2000, XP, 7 and even done some Linux. I use it EVERY day.

It’s so worn that the bottom label is gone, the surface is polished smooth. The only “maintence” is cleaning out the grim every other week, and once every couple months opening it up to get the nasty’s out.

I don’t know if I’ll EVER get rid of this thing, I don’t like cordless (i.e. batteries) and don’t like mice(wrist strain, and running off the edge)

So not only does it work after all these years, it works EVERY DAY!

92. selianth says:

Totally not surprised by the old appliances that are still going strong. My mom’s vacuum cleaner (a wedding gift in 1969) works just as well as the first time she used it, and has only needed the cord replaced a couple times.

I had a pair of Payless sandals that I bought in 1997. Probably for around $7-$10, because I was in college and wouldn’t even buy Payless shoes that weren’t also on sale. Those suckers lasted for *14* years, wearing them every single day of every single summer during that time, and for much of the spring and fall, too. It was only in the final year or so that they finally started falling apart. They must have been magical, because I’ve never had a pair of Payless shoes that didn’t start to disintegrate after only one or two years. Talk about far exceeding their life expectancy.

93. Stiv says:

I have a GE alarm clock/radio that I’ve used for 30 years. I bought it because it allowed me to adjust the amount of snooze time to my liking (I can’t stand alarm clocks that set snooze time at just 7 or 9 minutes. Hell’s bells! I sometimes snooze for an extra hour or more at a time).

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Mine is a Juliette brand LCD AM/FM clock radio that I got when I was about 12 or 13 (I’m 49 now). I dread the day it dies as I will have to learn to operate another clock radio!

94. Stiv says:

Oh, I also have an original 1st gen iPod with the spinning scroll wheel and firewire port. The battery even still holds a charge.

95. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

My Sanyo 27″ table top TV from Walmart, purchased in 1992, still works like a charm 20 years later. I am secretly hoping it will fry so I can purchase a new LCD flat screen TV, guilt free.

96. Keep talking...I'm listening says:

My parents bought a Sony 15″ color TV in 1975. I took it to college with me in 1996, moved it into my first house in 2006. It died shortly before the analog TV shutoff in 2009. 34 years is a pretty good run, and I’m convinced it died of a broken heart due to obsolescence.

My grandparents installed a GE Electric Hot Water heater in 1938 for their first house. It sprung a leak in 2010 and was replaced after 72 years, 4 kids, 11 grandkids, and 16 great-grandkids.

My aunt purchased a GE Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator in 1963. It’s still running.

97. newyorkjerry says:

GE Microwave Oven here, purchased in 1988, working fine still.

98. PBallRaven says:

Toshiba 35″ TV. CRT style. Weighs a ton. Bought it in 1996. Used every day and was still working good as new when I bought new 55″ flat screen a few months ago. Gave it away to a cousin and as far as I know it’s still working.

99. TacoDave says:

A car repair shop just told me that the shocks and struts in my ’98 Corolla were due to be changed at 50,000 miles. They’ve driven over 200,000 and it rides fine.

• NickRayko says:

Bah. Modern shocks don’t necessarily need to be replaced unless they’re leaking. That 50K replacement suggestion is just that – a suggestion. Most of your driving is probably on the highways, or maybe you live someplace where the roads are in decent shape?

• proscriptus says:

Figure those are 15 years old, their seals will probably have failed. Replacement is not a bad idea even if they aren’t leaking–remember, good shocks are a component of safe braking.

100. do-it-myself says:

Oh, totally forgot about the 2 pots and crock pot I have and use that my parents received for their wedding…..37 years ago. The smaller pot had a glass top that sadly shattered on my kitchen floor, just a couple months ago. Almost brought a tear to my eye…..then I realized it was just a “thing.”

101. sock says:

My Actiontec DSL modem is 13 years old and still going. I’m replacing it now (with another Actiontec) because the firmware is no longer being updated/supported.

• sock says:

Oh, adding my mom’s Kenmore sewing machine. It’s 65 years old and still going great.

• Fargin_Bastages says:

Oh, yes. Kenmore sewing machines. My grandmother used to collect them (and irons). I have one of her cabinet style machines that was built, I think, the year I was born. Which would make it about 49 years old. I still use it even though I’d like to have a portable machine with a free arm for doing sleeves. But this old Kenmore is a workhorse and has something like two dozen disks for various decorative stitches. My mother also has one of Grandma’s old machines. It’s so old that the piston only goes up and down. It can’t make a zig-zag stitch.

102. framitz says:

1972 Sony Trinitron TV that had been in a fire (case is kind of melted in places), purchased used in 1975 and it still works, but isn’t used much.

103. Hmmmmm needs more WarOtter says:

My L.L. Bean backpack. My parents got it for me when I was in high school over 20 years ago. It’s gotten me through high school, college, grad school, and numerous vacation trips. Not even a stitch is coming apart.

Also, my Mom’s sewing machine. I would say it’s over 40 years old. She does quite a bit of sewing, so upgraded to a newer model recently. I don’t do much, just a few repairs and craft items, so it’s perfect for what I need.

• Willow16 says:

My L.L. Bean backpack, bought in 1982, is still in great shape. I used it in college, my brother used it in college, I used it in graduate school and now my husband uses it for odds and ends. Too bad my kids don’t want to use it in college – not cool enough :-) .

104. NotEd says:

I have an Atari Lynx handheld. It idoesn’t get used as much anymore, as there is a loose connection or something and it no longer runs with batteries. Plug it into an AC Adapter and it runs fine though.
    I also still have my Pioneer DVL-919 combo laserdisc and DVD player I bought in 2000. Still works for laserdiscs, although the DVD mechanism has a problem with some titles. It may now be retired and the Blu-ray version of Jaws came out the only laserdiscs I would ever want to play are my Star Wars THX edition original trilogy discs. If they don’t have any laser-rot, that is.

My brother still has his NEC Turbo Graphix 16, with CD-ROM expansion and I know he still uses it. He also has a Turbo Duo and Turbo Express, but I believe they both have issues that he has never gotten repaired.

105. damageddude says:

I have my grandfather’s reel to reel tape recorder that still works (at least playing, I don’t record over it has recordings of now dead family members). Not sure hold old it is, at least 50 years. I remember playing with it in the 70s.

• iesika says:

The machine could last a very long time (my roommate has one that’s almost as old), but that magnetic tape is going to fade out sooner or later. I’d recommend getting it archived in a more durable format, if you want to keep it long term.

106. Julie says:

I’ve worked in an office for 22 years. There’s an Epson LQ 1500 dot matrix tractor printer that’s been here longer that I have. We use it only to print address labels, and it takes up 3 feet of table space. I’ve hacked it with cardboard and Sugru. We tried to replace it with a smaller tractor printer, but the labels did not come out properly.

107. kobresia says:

I still routinely use an Emerson Electric desk fan and an Electromode portable heater, both from the 30s, both scavenged from a scrap metal bin at the recycling center many years ago. On occasion, I’ve purchased newer products to replace them, but even when I spend some money (such as on the $70 Vornado Digital Vortex Heater), those appliances turned out to be extremely shoddy and barely lasted a year.

I still have the Western Electric Model 500 rotary telephone from the 50s that came with my house when I bought it. It outlasted about 6 Motorola & Uniden cordless phone sets until I finally just ditched the landline altogether. The audio quality on that Western Electric handset is so good that I answered incoming calls on that phone, and often only used the cordless sets as tone dialers.

I still have my NES and SNES and both still work great. My stereo system dates to the early 80s. I have most of the computers I’ve owned since 1996, most are IBM and all still work (my dad still has his original IBM PC, which he purchased new when they first came out, and of course it still works too).

It’s more of a miracle if a new consumer electronic device lasts more than a year or two, the old stuff was just made to last forever, so it’s no surprise that it does.

108. jsfetzik says:

I have a HP LaserJet 4L that I bought in 1994 that still works fine. The thing is dirt slow compared to newer printers I have bought, but it still sees service as a secondary printer in the back room.

• nybiker says:

Those printers are just tanks.

• HenryES says:

The 4L was the first thing that came to my mind too. I gave mine to my dad, and it still works, although it’s getting hard to find the toner cartridges.

• Carlee says:

I have a Xerox printer at work that’s almost 10 years old. Still works fine, except someone broke the manual feed tray.

Meanwhile, my coworkers are breaking their printers every few months…

109. TheBug says:

Does it have to be mechanical? I have a wallet from 7th grade that I still use… 27 years later.

110. alexwade says:

My Sega Dreamcast stills works. The 12 year old NFL2K is still a far FAR better game than the current Madden game. (I hate EA! They deserved the worst company in America award!) And my old TurboGraphix 16 still works. But the CD add-on does not.

• SilentAgenger says:

I love my Dreamcast, it still works and looks as good as new…also not a big fan of EA, but I’m even more disappointed in Sega for abandoning the Dreamcast (I still favor it over my PS2…too bad the public didn’t do the same).

111. checkssc says:

While it’s really not a purchase, it was a gift, I have a grandfather clock whose movement was made in 1830 and the case was made in 1860. I did pay to have it renovated 14 years ago by a local clock shop. It keeps time to the second with my Citizen watch that talks to WWV every night to stay accurate.

112. Cerealmom says:

When I moved into my present home, there was a working washer/dryer combo from Sears, circa 1985.Since I already had a newer washer/dryer combo (Sears Kenmore,circa 2004) I stored the older set.Fast forward 8 years and my 2004 washer dies.I haul the 1983 model out of storage shed,clean it up and that thing still spins clothes to almost dry every cycle,every time.Other than new hoses its all original.

113. EllenRose says:

A friend of mine used an IBM XT 286 (yes, they existed) from the mid-1980s up until this year. It did what he wanted done.

114. iesika says:

Nintendo products are famous for this. My NES, N64 and Gamecube still work perfectly, and that gamecube was once flung across a room into a wall (accidentally, by an excited dog caught in the cord. The cube didn’t come unplugged from the wall during this, just the TV – and when we plugged it back into the tv, the game was still running and my character was doing his idle animation.)

My mother has a Sunbeam Little Oscar food processor that she’s had for going on 30 years now. There isn’t a better small processor on the market today, including the new version of the same thing. When I moved out, my mom bought me one on ebay. She gave my sister one as a housewarming gift recently, too.

For sheer durability, though… I have my grandmother’s 60 year old Sunbeam Mixmaster stand mixer (in perfect 1950s butter-yellow-and-brown), including both of the original glass bowls (which are extra wide for their height, to fit under the low mixer). The bowls aren’t Pyrex or anything – just glass. I am not sure how they survived sharing a home with my grandmother’s 5 children (or my mother’s 3, for that matter). The mixer has amazing power for dealing with stuff like pizza dough, and it disassembles into two pieces with the flip of a switch, for easy storage. I adore that thing almost as much as Granny’s cornbread skillet (which is probably depression era – but that’s more expected of cast-iron cookwear!)

115. dush says:

Sony stuff from 15 years ago is working perfectly.
    Sony stuff from 4 years ago craps out.

116. Willow16 says:

We are just about to retire an eMac from 2004. Nothing wrong with it but it runs slowly and we can’t update anything. Just this past week we had the kids get all of their music and files off of it to move to another computer. I wish we could donate it to someone who could use it but, again, it’s just too old.

My mom’s 1990 Toyota Camry is still running. My brother got it in 2003 when she died and, while it has some rust, it should keep going for a few more years.

We have an Osterizer blender we got for a gift in 1991 and we use it all the time as well as the Kitchen Aide mixer from 1992.

117. VHSer says:

I haven’t played it in a while, but last time I did, my NES worked perfectly. Well, perfectly where you have to blow in the carts to get them to work. But it’s always done that. My stereo is more than 10 years old and it works just fine. I had an original Macintosh computer from 1984 until just a few years ago.

118. Random Lurker says:

I have a Craftsman tablesaw that I believe is roughly 30 years old. Got it from my father, who got it from a friend, etc and so on, so I have no idea of it’s true age. It’s been mistreated nearly the whole time, and has rust (except on the very top where I polished it off) and grease-caked sawdust in all the moving parts. Strangely, it still works like a charm, although I have replaced the power cable once. Perhaps it has something to do with weighing about 200 pounds. I swear it’s made of solid iron.

Also, I have a pair of Merrell cross trainers I have worn daily for the last 2.5 years and are still going. This isn’t an anomaly either. I’ve been wearing this brand for 10 years now and always get 2 or more years out of each pair.

• 50ae says:

I got one from my uncle that is about 50 years old, Crafstman band. The only thing wrong with it was a bad on/off switch. I replaced it and it works great other than having no safety design in it at all which keeps me on my game when using it.

119. ProfS says:

My grandparents have a Maytag washer and dryer from 1971 and have had to perform very minimal repairs over the years (mostly belts). They’re bile yellow but still work like a dream.

120. Malicious says:

I have an original big case Sega Genesis that works great. Wish I still had my old Sega master system, though.

121. Cream Of Meat says:

My great great grandfathers hammer, passed to his son and his etc.

It’s only needed three new handles and two new heads. Hows that for reliable?

122. GTB says:

My original 5th gen 60gb ipod “classic” is still going strong since 2005.

My ipod touch 4g, however, bricked within a year.

123. HogwartsProfessor says:

–I have a giant yellow and chrome Philco range with a huge oven, storage, a deep well cooker and a Jiffy grill from the 1950s. It came with my house (built in 1952). Works great. I can’t find a manual, though, and I have no idea how to use the cooker or the griddle. Oh well. It might be worth $700-800 if I decide to sell it when I leave.

–A Best Buy Insignia brand Pentium IV desktop, bought in 2003 or 2004 (I can’t remember). Runs Windows XP and still works. It will NOT die. I’m kind of glad, because my Titanic: Adventure Out of Time game won’t run on anything else. Someone needs to remake that game.

–HP 842C color inkjet printer. I got a used HP 4050N from a dealer for bigger jobs (you can’t print 400-page manuscripts on an inkjet; you’ll kill it). But the little one still works. It’s hooked up to the desktop in the back room. I can’t make a network because the desktop isn’t wireless, and both laptops have different OSs on them (Win7 and Vista). So if I need to print something in color, I just flash drive it and schlep it back there. I was planning to get a USB/parallel port for it and move the big lappy back to the back room when the desktop dies. BUT IT WILL NOT DIE.

–I’ve kept plastic box fans running for several years by taking the grills off and cleaning them very thoroughly. Usually they clog up and die.

124. poco says:

My alarm clock is at least 25 years old. Also, my pedestal fan that cost me a whopping $15 12 years ago is still going strong.

• proscriptus says:

Wow, that reminds me that our alarm clock is my parent’s Realistic LCD alarm clock from the early Eighties. 30 years! Works exactly as it did then, same poor radio reception.

125. crucislancer says:

I have an original XBox that is hooked up to a 15 year old 27″ Sanyo TV. I also have an eMachines 2.8 ghz Celeron PC that I bought in 2004 and it runs like a champ, though a lot of that is with regular maintanance.

I have a 3 year old Kyocera TNT cell phone that I bought for $20, it works great despite the fact that I’ve dropped it a dozen times at work.

Lastly, a Panasonic 5-Disc DVD changer/Home Theater system that I bought new in 2003. It’s taken a beating, but it still works great.

I expected all of these to fail at some point in the past few years, but they seem to keep going strong.

126. areaman says:

Speaking of game consoles built to last… a video of many consoles that are well built.

127. Cerne says:

My folks have a 27 year old wash and dryer that still work great. Had the service call for it last month, turned out that the hose clamps had degraded, rest works fine.

128. trencherman says:

The HP 10C calculator I got in 1983, for being in the math club in junior high, lasted for ~25 years. The Amana Radarange Microwave that my partner bought in 1980 (it has dials, not buttons) is still in our house and in use daily. The microwave my partner bought his mother in 1974 is still working and in her house.

I also have some pots and pans from the 40s that I use all the time, but I don’t really expect those ever to wear out.

• iesika says:

My Aunt has an old “wood tone” microwave set into her kitchen wall, with knobs and the kinds of buttons that clunk when you push them in. I don’t know what kind it is, but it was one of the first widely available models. She’s thought about getting one that’s more modern-looking, even though there’s nothing wrong with it…but getting it out of the wall would be too much hassle.

129. dataseeker says:

I have an alarm clock my mom bought me in 1990 when i was 11 that is still going strong 23 years later!

130. HenryES says:

I have a Cuisinart food processor that I got in 1983 that still works like new. I can’t imagine the new ones are made half as well.

131. Jane_Gage says:

Gateway 2000 tower unit, 11+ years.

132. Corinthos says:

I still have my first CD player/boombox. I bought it in the mid 90s and Coolio’s Gangsta’s Paradise was the first CD I bought for it so it is about as old as that song.

133. goodfellow_puck says:

My father’s alarm clock from the 1970s. Most annoying noise ever, though.

I still use a DeskJet 932C and ScanJet 5200C from HP that I’ve had since the 90s.

My Toyota RAV4 from 1996 with 150k+ miles on it runs perfect and even still has A/C. The only “major” thing I’ve ever had to do on it was replace the timing belt.

My oven is from the 50s.

Probably not a recognizable product to most here, but most artists who work in any capacity on a computer have some version of a Wacom tablet or tablet computer (Wacom Cintiq). I still work on my Intuos 1 from 1999. I’ve never even changed the nib (though the surface needs replacing). I’ve dropped it and the pen multiple times and it still chugs along like it doesn’t even know it’s 13 yrs old.

134. HMFIC says:

I have a Skil brand circular saw that I got on my 16th birthday. The first time I used it I cut right through the cord. I spliced it back together until this past Summer when I was helping my son construct a fence. That’s when I cut through the cord again, 34 years later. This time I actually took it apart and replaced the cord in total. That saw has seen massive use throughout my life as I am the handyman homeowner type. It’s still going strong. As a child my mother had an Osterizer blender with a glass vessel. It came to me when she passed away and the damn thing still shops ice and makes awesome Margaritas like nobody’s business. After selling her house we had to clean it out, I tossed a 2000 watt Amana microwave oven that I swear weighed 75 lbs, but still worked fine. They don’t make em like they used to.

135. prosumer1 says:

Believe it or not, my Sony Discman. I had packed it away and stored it in the garage when I moved into our new house. I had every intention of selling it, or even just donate it. But somehow it was in a box full of junk that got forgotten. I recently re-organized my garage and found the box. Found two AA batteries and plugged it in. It worked perfectly. Mind you, my garage gets to be about 130F in the summer.

I’m tempted to take it to my gym the next time I got to work out.

136. Christine says:

20 years ago my mom bought be a used Vtech Talking Whizkid notebook at a garage sale. My mom’s niece still plays with it.

137. case says:

A pair of rockport dress shoes has held up well. I’ve had them for at least 2 years and wear them almost every work day.

Also Levi’s jeans seem to last pretty much forever.

138. Lady Anaesthesia says:

I have my grandmother’s old Sewing Machine…a Pfaff Sewing Machine…thing has been moved around the world probably more times than I know, and probably more than me. Though honestly it probably still works mostly cause I have more interest in Mechanical hobbies than sewing so it see’s little actual use but plenty of me checking the thing.

The only things only I have owned that still work are an Old Gamboy Handheld system with a few game cartridges and an old Micro Tape recorder. Other wise the only thing that Surprises me that I still have and use to this day is a Brown Driver’s Cap…never thought I’d fall in love so much with a hat…

139. Rhinoguy says:

Sun Chief electric toaster circa 1919
    Oliver typewriter circa 1921
    Zeiss Ikon camera circa 1938
    Silvertone table radio circa 1940
    Gates turntable circa 1955
    Marantz receiver circa 1971
    Teac tape recorder circa 1978
    Realistic portable FM radio plugged in 1993 still playing non-stop
    Springfield trapdoor .45-70 sniper rifle dated 1884
    Keep them clean, replace tubes, don’t lend them to friends.

• proscriptus says:

Oh, cameras, right! I have two Nikon FM2s that work great, including the motor drive (MD2, I think); and an even older Contax Contaflex, which would be from the early 1950s.

My Remington portable typewriter is about 60 years old.

140. Rhinoguy says:

More old stuff:
    Kodak 1A folding camera circa 1930
    La Salle sedan 1938, very high maintenance
    Stihl chainsaw 015 circa 1974
    Westinghouse meat slicer circa 1955
    Makita circular saw circa 1984
    S & W model 29 .44 circa 1974
    IBM PS2 30 circa 1994, with printer, outboard second drive and color monitor
    Reed and Barton teapot circa 1840
    Keep them clean, replace cords, and don’t lend them to friends

141. JonBoy470 says:

Items I personally own that are ridiculously old/still work:
    Fisher 20″ TV circa 1992. Still works, never repaired.
    Original IBM PC (model 5150) worked last time I powered it on. Ditto my Commodore VIC20. Both circa 1981.
    Columbia BMX bike circa 1981. Pulled out of my mom’s garage this summer so my 8 year old son could ride it at her house. Factory original tires/tubes still hold air after 31 years.
    Several CFL bulbs currently in use in my house date from the late 90′s,
    Old cast iron Singer and White sewing machines are nigh indestructible. My wife inherited one from my grandmother when she passed away; it’s old enough that the electric motor was a retrofit. Fully functional in all respects…

142. glorytown says:

Hmmmm…only one post. I wonder if that means built-in obsolescence is the norm, and not the exception.

143. proscriptus says:

Every now and then I fire up my first-gen Macintosh…there are files I keep meaning to print on the Stylewriter but never get around to.

I commute on an original 1980 Peugeot moped.

And our Hotpoint gas range is from the Sixties. Had it rejetted to up the BTUs and it kicks butt now.

144. proscriptus says:

I forgot one I use all the time: My Nikkor manual focus lenses. I was using a 24mm f2.8 last night on a new digital camera, it’s mid-70s.

Kudos for Nikon for not changing their mount for decades; even older non-AI lenses can be made to work with a simple modification. Nikon primes tended to be made incredibly stout and their optics are often as good or better than current lenses. Even better, their modern digital cameras can easily be programmed to work with old fixed-focus AI lenses.

• proscriptus says:

Oh crap, there’s more! I have a Sima Hat brand hat I bought at Burlington Coat factory, I think in 1990 and until I got something a little fancier this spring I wore it every day. It’s been burned drying by the fire, submerged in more rivers and oceans than I can count and crushed into luggage countless times. I still wear it several times a week for chores. I replaced the fabric hatband with a piece of riveted-on leather years ago.

145. Fiona says:

I got this Mars Rover called “Opportunity” that was supposed to last 6 months, if I was really lucky. Eight years later, she’s still going strong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_rover

146. Sarek says:

I bought a Norelco coffee maker in 1977 and it lasted until 2010.

147. Fargin_Bastages says:

Well, our 1997 Saturn wagon has almost 224K miles on it and is still going. She’s had a few accidents during winter blizzards so the alignment’s not precise, and the undercarriage is getting somewhat rusty, plus she burns a bit of oil. But as far as I’m concerned she’s my *dream car*. Because it’s paid for and starts every time. I should add that we bought that car new at the end of the model year, so it’s a one owner vehicle.

148. Bog says:

I had a Sears 27 inch TV from 1967 (family handme down) that didn’t die until 1998. Just short of 31 years old it was. The only real problem was that it started to need tubes before finally shorting out. A Lazyboy recliner that that lasted just as long. And I have a christmas cactus that is at least 60 years old.

149. canchita says:

I have a little red transistor radio I bought in EJ Korvettes in NY from the 1960s. Once in a while, I change the battery.

150. dragonwerx says:

There’s the Fat Mac (512k) running System 6…run it up once a year just to hear the startup sound; a 1988 Fisher dual-cassette tape deck with CD player/radio (tape decks don’t work anymore, but speakers, Cd player and radio receiver still good, get used every week); Vidal Sasoon hair curling irons from late 1990′s; an unknown brand (label wore off) of hair dryer made in Costa Rica, used daily since 2004; a Hanes Activewear sweatshirt bought in 1998 and worn every winter.

151. FrankenPC says:

Sonicare toothbrush. 10 years and counting. No battery failure. No cracks in the plastic. Nothing. It just keeps working.

152. Ceric Neesh says:

Record player from around 1915. Entirely analog, with the big speaker cone and everything. It’s more of a novelty item than anything, but it still plays records perfectly fine. It was retrofitted in the 40s (1942, I think) with a motor to play 33s and 45s, though; but that’s still seventy years old! It was my great-grandfather’s, who gave it to my grandfather who willed it to me when I expressed interest in it.

My favorite thing to do with it? Play albums like the Tron: Legacy soundtrack on it. It’s almost bizzare, hearing the computer-originating sounds coming from something made before computers existed in any meaningful way.

I also have a desk radio from the late 60s, and one of my friends owns a WWII Jeep that’s only had regular maintenance and been driven as a daily driver the entire time. Has the service records to prove it, too.

My brother and I have an NES, but I’m not sure that counts; those systems were built like total bricks and are still common as dirt to find in fully working condition.

153. lyncee says:

I have an old Panasonic boom box with tape player. The tape player has died; however, the radio still works and I use it at work. It was a high school graduation gift in 1979. (It still has the original antenna!)

154. Libertas1 says:

Last year I replaced a furnace in my home that hasn’t been made since 1963, no idea how old it actually was, the paper on the inside of the door rotted off. It worked fine, just couldn’t afford to run it anymore.

I have a couple examples of almost every home video game system (Only one Vectrex though) from the Pong era up to NES in the next room, all of which work fine. I also have an example of virtually every item that Commodore computers ever made Pre-Amiga, again all of which work fine. If only I had a bigger house to display these treasures….

Every single portable fan in my house is from the 30′s-50′s which were inherited from my grandparents.

I just gave up my Lady Kenmore washer/gas dryer set in avocado a few years ago. Easily 30+ years old. Replaced them with a front loading Maytag Neptune electric set, which hasn’t ever performed well.

155. alegg says:

We bought a Gibson upright freezer in 1976. (36 years ago!) It has survived 3 different homes we moved it to and stills runs great. They didn’t know about building in obsolescence back then. Too bad they do now.

156. Pittfansteve says:

My old man has a pair of LL Bean boots that he bought in the early seventies. Every time he has to shovel the driveway, I get updated on how long he’s had those boots. Some of that rubbed off on me, because I am the same way with brown Dr. Martins. They go with everything, easy to clean up to look dressy, and if I get less than 5 to 7 years out of a pair I’m disappointed. My old man also passed down a Rolex watch to me upon college graduation which my mom purchased for him in 1975. Maybe not a shock that a Rolex still works, but it just goes to show sometimes what’s considered the best really is. My old man always says if he had the foresight, he would have bought a rolls Royce for his first car. He figured if it’s like the boots and the Rolex, he’d still be driving it today, would have been hugely economical in the long run.

• JustJayce says:

Commodore Amiga 500 Circa 1987 – How I love Floppy Discs
      Microsoft/RCA UltimateTV DVR Circa 2001 – Original HD and Tuners

157. triana says:

I got a cute black dress for twentysomething dollars at Merry-Go-Round in 1995. It’s a casual-ish dress that I was able to wear to school, work, and out until maybe about two years ago. It’s finally starting to pill. Sadly, items that have cost me much more than that have only ever lasted a couple of years at best with such frequent use.

158. Rocinante says:

I still have a working 10 year old MP3 player (the Nomad Jukebox 3) that inspired Steve Jobs to create the iPod. The music sounds great on it, and the internal hard drive is easy to upgrade to 160 gigs.

159. italianbaby says:

my mom passed on to me her hamilton beach electric knife. it’s from 1964 and still works like new 48 yrs. later. they don’t make appliances like they used to.
    today parts/gears are made of cheap plastic and don’t last.

160. DLB1117 says:

Toshiba Satellite bought in 2002 still running. The only hardware issue was the power supply (due to a puppy chewing the cord). I replaced the power supply with a fancy generic brand-it lasted a couple of years before frying. so I spliced the power cord on the original power supply and was back in business. Even the floppy drive works:) I keep it around so I can print with my HP 1215 Photosmart printer with the giant print cartridges (same age as laptop).

161. buzz86us says:

Dell Latitude CpxJ from College still working and going strong
    Dell E1505 dead within 18 months and out of warranty.

162. krs says:

My HP LaserJet3, built like a tank and still working after a couple of thorough cleanings.

163. FedUps says:

Apple Newton… Palm M105 both work when I dig them out of the storage bins…
    I guess I should have them in a Museum box or something

164. james says:

1982 Volvo 240 Wagon – drove in 30 years and 1.5 million miles, and sold it to be stripped for many useful parts by a restorer last month after I borke down before it did. Knee surgery meant driving a standard transmission in the city was painful. So, bought a Volvo v70 with an automatic tranny.

Also, a Leatherman tool. Bought it about the same time as the volvo, and still have it. Works great.

Nikon 35mm camera. Used since the 1970s, never needed any repair work at all.

Grand prize winner – 1930s Magic Chef gas stove with the big red knob to set temperature.
    Been in daily service longer than I’ve been alive.

You guys just need to learn to take care of your things!

165. kimmie says:

Are you kidding? We still have the original NES and games we bought in 1985 or so, I was in like, second grade. It still functions and my dad plays Dr Mario every single day after work. The secret? Don’t blow in the cartridges, your spit corrodes the metal contacts. We used one of those Nintendo branded cleaning kits for the NES slot and the cartridges.

166. mmmveggies says:

My mom’s RCA tv, bought in 1987. Wonderful picture and sound. Never had a problem with it. I’m so hesitant to get a flatscreen because our old tube machines work so great, there is no good reason to get rid of them.
    I am also amazed at my doc marten oxfords I bought for my first job, Starbucks in 1999. They still look new, and I’ve spilled a lot on them and walked many miles. Never cleaned them particularly well, either.
    I also have a crappy looking Mitsubishi Mirage. No bumper, body damage all over the place. I get “we buy junk cars!” fliers on it and I always shout “screw you my car is great!” to nobody in particular. 214k miles and has never broken down. My Nissan pathfinder needs $1500 in work and it has 100k less miles. Both 2001. I can’t see any reason to buy a new car when I have a perfectly reliable one that will never, ever be stolen :-P

167. spyglassweb says:

My mom gave me her Champion juicer from the early 70′s, only needed the power cord repaired because the rubber was cracking. Works fab! Also the kids have their dad’s original Atari game system. All of the games and the controllers work!

168. Bullit in Hawaii says:

I have a Sony Dreamachine clock radio that’s been in use since 1985, 27 years! I guess that’s when Sony made products that last (don’t ask me about how I feel about Sony products in the last 10 years).

169. Timmah says:

My 32 year old Mercedes Benz that I’ve had since 16 (21 now) with well over 400,000 miles on it. It’s never seen a mechanic while in my hands, done all my own work

That old 240D simply will not die. The A/C still blows ridiculously cold and that 4 speed shifts as smooth as it ever did.. everything still works as designed and that old Silver paint still shines up like new, and I put this car through hell

I wish they made cars like this nowadays