August Recall Roundup – Bye Baby Strangulation Bunting

Welcome to the Recall Roundup! This month, we have lead-contaminated licorice, overly snappy snap bracelets, flaming dryers and dishwashers, and machetes endorsed by Bear Grylls that can turn around and cut you instead.

What’s interesting about this month’s food recalls is how listeria-contaminated onions from one source ended up in such a wide variety of prepared foods nationwide, triggering separate recalls for each potentially contaminated product. This isn’t all of them by any means: we’ve omitted recalls of fresh deli items where the food would have expired back in July.

Babies and Children
Kickboard USA Children’s Scooters – laceration hazard
Babylicious Recalls Cloth Crib Fringe – strangulation hazard
Toysmith Recalls Animal Snap Bracelets – Laceration hazard
My Clothes children’s pajamas – don’t meet flammability standards
Green Toys Mini Vehicles – choking hazard
Bumbo baby seats – fall hazard
Liberty Mountain Recalls VAUDE Kenta Child Carriers – fall hazard
Peg Perego Strollers – entrapment and strangulation hazard
Kolcraft Contours Tandem Strollers – fall and choking hazard
Downeast Concepts Children’s Beach Chairs – laceration hazard
Baby Move Prune Concentrate – possible salmonella contamination

Home and Furniture
LG Electronics and Sears Dryers – fire hazard
Emerson Corsair Ceiling Fans – Injury hazard
Patio Bistro Sets from Lowe’s – chair may collapse if support bar is not engaged
HeathCo Motion Sensing Security Lights (Home Depot) – electric shock hazard
Lush Life power strips (Burlington Coat Factory) – fire hazard
Samuel Lawrence Furniture Sleigh Beds – fall hazard
Panline USA trampolines – fall hazard

Sports and Outdoors
Gerber Bear Grylls Parang Machetes – blade can break during use, laceration hazard

Electronics
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Digital SLR Cameras – Rubber grips may change color and cause skin rashes

Food
JFC Furikake-Seto Fumi – undeclared eggs, soy, and wheat
Southern Home (Bi-Lo) Cranberry Nut Antioxidant Blend – undeclared soy
Blueberry Crisp CLIF Bars – undeclared almonds
Fresco Green Farms cilantro – Possible salmonella risk
Vaquería Tres Monjitas pineapple and guava beverages – undeclared milk
Two Moms in the Raw Pesto Sea Crackers – undeclared peanuts
Lucky Country Aussie Style Soft Gourmet Black Licorice – Lead contamination
Dippin’ Stix Sliced Apples & Caramel with Peanuts – possible listeria
Armour Active Packs Cheese Pizza Lunch Kits – possible listeria
Coconut Chocolate Chip CLIF Bars – coconut not listed in ingredients
Cool Creations, pretty much every product containing onions – possible listeria contamination
Trader Joe’s salsa and balela – possible listeria contamination
Sunrise Indian Corn Candy (Albertson’s) – undeclared milk

Pets
Catswell Vitakitty Chicken Breast With Flaxseed And Vitamins treats – may contain propylene glycol

Comments

1. That guy. says:

Lush Life power strips (Burlington Coat Factory) – fire hazard

Maybe it is just my tech training, but I’m very careful with what power strips I use. I know I wouldn’t buy one I found at Burlington Coat Factory (though I’ve bought shoes, jeans, and coats there).

• AcctbyDay says:

Moms out shopping needing a power strip. Not everyone consults a tech with training when they are purchasing simple consumer goods.

• Blueskylaw says:

I have actually bought shoes, jeans, and coats at the Lush Life Power Strip Factory and found them to be of very highy quality along with having an Underwriters Laboratory seal of approval.

2. RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Kickboard USA Children’s Scooters – laceration hazard

Don’t all scooters have a high incidence of lacerations, from when you fall off and scrape your knees, elbows and chin across the pavement?

(Kidding, I know there’s probably some sharp part on the scooter itself which only adds to the thrill of danger.)

• Kuchen says:

It’s a piece of plastic on the underside that can break and cause a sharp edge. I actually knew about this recall already because we just bought one of those scooters last week and the info about the recall was on their website when we ordered. Those scooters are pretty awesome, and this particular recall didn’t really make me worry about the quality of the overall product.

3. RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

On further reading:

Coconut Chocolate Chip CLIF Bars – coconut not listed in ingredients

To be fair, if anyone buys those thinking “oh, they won’t affect my horrible coconut allergy, there’s a problem. Still, way to go Clif! Let’s leave granola out of the granola bar ingredients too!

4. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Hilarity waiting to happen.

Gerber used to make great stuff. Not so much now. They went to cheap steel.

Coconut Chocolate Chip CLIF Bars – coconut not listed in ingredients
    Come on. Really?

5. RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Sorry for the multiple posts, but this product does not parse. I mean, I understand the words, but I cannot understand them in connection with each other. What…the…heck?

Gerber® Bear Grylls Parang Machetes

Gerber (as in the baby food people)
    Bear Grylls (as in the survival “expert” that drinks his own urine regularly)
    Machetes (as in big sharp weapons)

Are these for tiny baby survivalist safaris? How do babies know about Bear Grylls? Is he an icon for parents of very young kids? Do they fantasize about leaving their babies in the wild with only a machete to hack their little ways back to safety?

Furthermore, machetes which have a hazard of lacerating someone? *gasps and clutches pearls*

And finally, I’m not the only one with these questions:

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

Gerber (as in the baby food people)

No. Gerber (as in the knife people)

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

I know, but that’s not half as funny!

• That guy. says:

I actually did a double take, thinking that the baby food company Gerber was making a Bear Grylls…then again when I read it was a machete.

So it goes to show you, people CAN mix up Monster Drink, Monster Cable, and Monster Mini Golf.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I knew it couldn’t be the same one, but had a wonderful image of a snarling baby dressed in a leafy diaper waving a machete in my head anyway. LOL!

6. NickRayko says:

Tell me more about the Two Moms in the Raw!

7. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I like this one: Panline USA Trampolines – fall hazard.

You know, I would have never guessed that jumping up and down on a big spring loaded stretchy disk could result in a falling hazard.

I’m amazed that human beings as a species are still thriving.

• momoftwokids says:

I like that the trampoline fall hazard is right after the bed fall hazard…

“Stop jumping on the bed, you might hurt yourself. Go outside and jump on the trampoline since that’s what it is made for” – epic fall possibilities