Is It Sweet Or Creepy To Get A Discount For Having The Best Butt In The Restaurant?

Having a bad day and just want to drown your sorrows in say, a veggie bowl and fried pickles? Maybe your server will be as smooth as this fella, who added in a few compliments by way of a $0.02 total discount on a customer’s receipt for “Best Butt” and “Best Looking.” Creepy or sweet? Your call.

Reddit user caraficionado24 says a friend was complimented thusly at a restaurant recently, prompting a few questions for you, our dear readers: Is it even possible to enter such items in a point-of-sale system? The last time I used a POS was in college and there were very specific buttons for every single thing on the menu, and nothing else. Nary a superlative to be found.

This could also be a clever Photoshop job, but one commenter did say they work at the same chain and that there are fun discounts that can be entered. Perhaps it’s franchise-specific, but as long as the server isn’t charging for compliments, it’s a harmless way to cheer up someone’s day. Or at least, it would cheer up my day.

Weigh in on the compliments as to whether this is a harmless way to compliment, an example of creepster before, or if it’s even possible. Otherwise, shenanigans must be called.

UPDATE 8/22: It seems the chain has confirmed the receipt is real, by adding the photo to its official Facebook page with the caption: “It looks like one of our cashiers has game…”

A friend of mine got complimented rather sneakily [Reddit]

Comments

1. That guy. says:

I’d be concerned this would come off creepy…well…depending on how attractive the server giving the complement is.

As for getting the discount/compliment, I wouldn’t have any issue. I’d take it for what it is…but I may be a little uncomfortable if the person (aside from the complement) is creepy. Or is a dude. And that could turn me off from wanting to have them as my server.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Noooo, creepy server is creepy regardless of how attractive they are. I don’t care if you look like Tom Hardy, you’re a creepster if you write that on a receipt. It might be a sincere remark, like the person really believed that about her, but it still comes off as creepy.

• VintageLydia says:

AGREED! I hate the “You wouldn’t think I were creepy if you thought I was hot!” narrative because I’ve definitely been creeped out (and sexually assaulted!) by some very good looking men.

• Velvet Jones says:

Women say that, but there is a difference between assault and a suggestive comment or complement. I think the classic example of this was the Tom Brady “Sexual Harassment” skit that Saturday Night Live did a few years ago. Handsome hunk says high, woman goes weak in the knees. Nerdy guy from accounting says high, woman goes straight to HR to complain.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I do agree that there’s a difference between a suggestive comment and outright assault, but the line is not nearly as clearly defined as you might think (and can be quickly crossed) because it comes down to the person’s interpretation of the comment.

SNL played it for laughs, because that’s what SNL does. Likewise, a few years ago there was a Scrubs episode where the female characters were happy that a random, nameless guy would call out “DAMN!” to a woman who looked good.

In real life, however, I think many women think it’s pretty inappropriate regardless of the other person’s attractiveness. If you’re saying sleezebag things, that makes you a sleezebag no matter what you look like.

• Velvet Jones says:

Yes, I know SNL plays it up for laughs, but I’ve also seen it first hand. Granted, guys cross the line sometimes. On the other hand, I’ve seen woman ooh and ah over handsome guys at work, only to be outright hostile to guys they think are beneath them. Same goes for waiters, bar tenders, etc.

• That guy. says:

Yep, gotta agree. And I also thought of the SNL skit.

A guy who is already considered creepy or unappealing will likely have is relatively innocent comment viewed as creepy or stalker-ish.
                A guy who women swoon over is more likely to have his slightly suggestive comment viewed as acceptable.

• Velvet Jones says:

Must be “high” today. I meant “Hi”.

• VintageLydia says:

I guess I wasn’t clear. I was assaulted BECAUSE I rejected or ignored a sexual comment from strangers.

The comment itself can be considered sexual harassment.

Nothing more awesome than ignoring a “compliment” to have the “complimenter” in question turn around and give me a tirade about how I’m a bitch, actually, ugly, and a prude all while they’re grasping for my body.

• Brave Little Toaster says:

Oh my gosh – this always astonishes me.

“Hey girl, you’re so fine! Come over here!”

(ignore and keep walking)

“What? You so ugly bitch no one would wanna be with you!”

Wow…my appearance changed rapidly in about two seconds there.

• andsowouldi says:

Yeah, because this guy is not shallow. He clearly sees beyond appearances and finds you unattractive now that he knows you’re a bitch : )

• Oh_No84 says:

Its not creepy to complement someone.

Can we not live in society anymore without thinking every other person on the planet is insane and we are the only sane one???

• VintageLydia says:

It’s not creepy to compliment someone in a way that does not sexualize/objectify that person.

FTFY

• JollySith says:

sexualize does not equal objectify. I happen to have a lot of sexual thoughts (and actions) to do with my wife. This does not make her an object or lessen her value as a person to me. I can notice a woman’s butt and still respect her opinion.

• That guy. says:

“Best Butt -0.01

Best Opinion On Foreign Relationswith the Middle East -0.01″

• VintageLydia says:

It’s different with someone you’re already in a sexual or romantic relationship or even close friendship with, where you know and presumably respect her boundaries. When all you have to say to a woman you do not know or do not know well is something sexual, than you are reducing her to a sex object, at least in HER mind. If you like her mode of dress, her hair style, her tattoos, her friendly demeanor, or anything else that shows you noticed her personality, compliment her on THAT and you’re much less likely to ping on her “creepy” radar. In the end, your intent does not matter. Ladies aren’t mind readers and many of us are sexually harassed in public on a really regular basis (yes, even us “fatties” and “uglies”) so we don’t know if you’re just trying to be nice in a social awkward way or if you’re actually a creeper who looks at all women like sex objects.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

This made the rounds on the internet a few months ago, and I think it’s pretty relevant now. Basically, Capcom sponsored a reality show on a gaming competition and during the course of the competition, one jerk berated a female player for five days and no one stopped him.

A good discussion to listen to is the Indoor Kids podcast titled “Livin La Vita Sexism” (they talk about the Sony Vita and then move onto the harassment). It’s an especially good podcast for this topic because it’s hosted by husband and wife gamers.

• dangermike says:

“If you like her mode of dress, her hair style, her tattoos, her friendly demeanor, or anything else that shows you noticed her personality”

Those are almost all appearance-based aspects. As in, she’s trying to put out those appearances to be noticed. That is self-objectification. But if I (as a man) happen to notice that she’s worn tight pants (to be noticed) or twirls her hair (to be noticed) or exhudes a bubbly or flirtatious demeanor (to be noticed), all of a sudden, it’s a crime against her dignity. How the hell would any dating ever get done without objectification? That’s just how it works. This is the male mind: “Oh hey, she looks hot, I want to sleep with her. Oh hey, she’s actually fun to be around in a non-sexual context, I want to keep her.” It’s as old as the world.

• VintageLydia says:

If you can’t see the difference between “Hey! I like your dinosaur necklace!” and “Nice rack!” even though you’re looking at the same body part (her chest) there is no hope for you.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Soo you basically think women do everything to be noticed? Why do you put on a tie or wear shoes? I’m going to say you’re doing it just to be noticed.

• madanthony says:

Personally, as a guy, if it wasn’t for women and bosses I’d pretty much wear sandals, sweatpants or gym shorts and T-shirts all the time.

• dangermike says:

That’s not what I said at all. I was pointing out that complaining about people noticing superficial things and presenting a list of superficial things they should notice instead is disingenuous. For what it’s worth, it pretty much goes without saying that the creep who printed the receipt is, well, a creep.

Now, I don’t normally wear ties. If I do wear one, it is to formal functions, usually events like weddings, funerals, job interviews, etc. and you can damn well bet I put on the most attractive ties I can find. Because I know that I’m constantly being silently judged by everyone I pass. And honestly, when I do so, I tend to get a lot of compliments from friends and more attention from strangers as compared to when I go about my daily business. If it’s just a regular day at work, well my job is dirty enough and my interactions with people outside the company are almost nil so jeans, boots, and a polo suit me just fine. If I go out after work, I’ll shower and put on a nice button down shirt *just in case* I happen to cross paths with someone worth noticing… and yes, so that I can have enough time to turn an impression into a hook and then a conversation.

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

I’m sorry, maybe I’m misreading you. You seem to be saying that the only reason a woman would wear tight pants, twirl her hair, or have an effervescent personality would be to get attention from the opposite sex.
                It couldn’t possibly be that she’s wearing those pants because she finds them comfortable or she likes how she looks in them (without regard to the opinions of others)? Or that she twirls her hair as a nervous habit or even a form of self-comfort? Or that she’s just a naturally bright and happy person?
                I don’t think anyone is saying you can’t notice things about the world and the people around you. But commenting on the physical characteristics of a woman you don’t know, especially outside of a social situation where such advances are expected (e.g. a bar or club) is often viewed by women as objectifying and/or harassing. And they are the ones who get to decide if a behavior is objectifying and/or harassing or not.

• dangermike says:

You are misreading me. Manners are important. I won’t deny that. Re-read the quote at the beginning of my earlier post. That is what I replying to. I was pointing out that the items listed are almost all superficial but listed as indicitative of personality.

Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, or what amount of justice you find in it, we are all constantly superficially judged and we are all constantly superficially judging everyone and everything we perceive. It’s in our DNA. It is how we survive. We can’t turn off. For instance, I’m a large guy. Almost 6 and half feet tall, and built like an overfed retired linebacker. I dress generally casually. Jeans and polo’s on work days, tshirt and shorts on weekends. I have foot and back problems. If I don’t wear boots, they get worse. I also wear a goatee, usually have sunglasses on outside, and am uncomfortable in open spaces. It is not an uncommon sight for strangers to cross the street rather than share a sidewalk with me or at least leave a wider than necessary berth when passing. I could get all indignant and complain that if they only took some time to get to know me, they’d realize I’m actually a pretty stand-up kind of guy. But instead, they follow their reptilian brain and say “Big. Scary. Avoid.” I take no offense to that. I do the same if there’s a group of more than I know I could reasonably defend myself from.

Turning that around, in interactions with the opposite sex, there are a many purely superficial traits the mind responds to. I’m not saying that the creep in the article responded well to his impulses. In fact, he should lose his job for it. But those subconscious impulses are what inspires us to attempt to form other, deeper forms of interaction. To chastise the general male population for instinctual behavior is as unenlightened as the expectation that women might respond to behavior as boorish as is presented in the OP.

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

Thank you for the clarification! I see that I was taking those comments out of context, which is never a good way to look at things.

• dangermike says:

Thanks for your patience. I often omit important bits of context despite my typical long-windedness.

• mszabo says:

As a guy, I’d say somebody giving a complement on your mode of dress would be creepier than the obvious ‘nice butt’ comment. I’m sure I subliminally notice a woman’s clothes in that they help display a womans figure to her advantage, but I don’t think a guy will really notice the clothes.

I’d wonder what the OP’s friend was wearing here and if that has any bearing on the creep factor. Frankly tight pants with writing directly written on the ass, seem designed to get people to check out a ladies rear end. I certainly recall a fashion trend with pants that had “PNK” written on them, there may have in fact been an “I” but usually that wasn’t visible. So in that context I wouldn’t put the receipt as creepy.

• VintageLydia says:

So sexual harassment is okay if she was “asking for it.” Gotcha.

• mszabo says:

I think you will need to look up your definition of sexual harassment. A single compliment on a receipt is not sexual harassment. Repeated unwelcome comments on appearance would be considered sexual harassment.

Unwelcome/unwanted is a a key component in sexual harassment. If someone is intentionally dressing to emphasize something, getting comments on that something should be somewhat expected shouldn’t it? If I were to wear a big rainbow clown afro to work, I would fully expect someone to mention it within the first 5 minutes.

So yes in this case ‘asking for it’ is valid, because they may be quite literally asking for it. Certainly going further than a complement/comment could well be construed as sexual harassment/

• mszabo says:

“What’s wrong with saying “I like your Doctor Who shirt!” or “Your earrings are really nice!” or ANYTHING ELSE that isn’t a direct comment on someone’s body?”

Nothing. However I have never legitimately noticed a woman’s earrings. Honestly I couldn’t tell the difference between a $10K pair of diamond studs, and $3 cubic zirconia. In my case if I somehow compliment you on your earrings you can safely assume I am lying to you and am mentioning this due to other motives.

A comment on a a themed t-shirt certainly is more legitimate. It seems like a natural ice-breaker. However again if your shirt is some abstract patterned blouse, with a deep v neckline and a guy comments how nice your shirt it, I’d say he really is just saying “Nice Tits”, but being more polite. I would see that compliment as equally creepy (or creepier due to the dishonest nature of the compliment) than the guy who just says “Your breasts are fantastic”

Personally I wouldn’t say either one, walking up to any stranger and giving any compliment on their appearance seems off.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Why is it creepier, though? I’ve never interpreted a guy’s nonchalant comment of “I like your Doctor Who shirt” as anything more than “I like your Doctor Who shirt.” I mean, I don’t read anything into it.

• mszabo says:

I would point out my comment was rebutting the ‘mode of dress’ remark by an earlier poster. To me at least mode of dress is quite a bit different than the specific nature of one item. A t-shirt vs a turtleneck is a different mode of dress. A nascar vs a dr. who shirt isn’t. A guy commenting on a mode of dress just seems rather odd/false.

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

Most women of my acquaintance would find a guy complementing their clothing to be non-creepy (and possibly uninterested in them sexually). Saying “I like your shirt” is rarely viewed as a harassing comment.

• AtlantaCPA says:

It’s not that all complements are creepy, it’s that those complements are creepy. Correct me if I’m wrong ladies?

• crispyduck13 says:

I don’t think you’re wrong. I once had a middle aged guy come up to me at a gas station and tell me “I don’t want to offend you or anything, but you look really lovely and I just thought at least one person should tell you that today.”

Far from being creeped out, I was positively floored. So not all compliments from strangers are creepy (to me anyway), but once you single out a body part, or deliver the message in a disrespectful way it does become creepy, among other things.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

That perspective is way too simple. It’s about context. It can be uncomfortable when strangers compliment you because of how they’re going about it. Not all complements are given innocently. Guys whistling at a woman from a car are definitely creepy. Even the one time a guy at the grocery store very politely told me I was beautiful, that seemed creepy only because I was taken aback and had no idea what to say.

Funny thing is that I’ve only been whistled at a few times (ew), I’ve only been told once by a stranger that I was pretty (eh), but I have lost count of the number of times a guy sees me in the grocery store and stops to tell me my geek/nerd shirt is awesome or to talk about the hockey team, whose logo I’m wearing. To me, that’s not creepy because no one is putting attention on my looks.

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

I’m glad it’s not creepy to comment on a random female’s t-shirt, because I’ll often do that if I like the shirt, regardless of the wearer’s gender.

I get a lot of comments on my own t-shirt collection (runs the gamut from sports teams to tigers to Smurfs). Many of the comments are from women, and I never feel creeped out :)

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Yeah, I do the same thing. If I like someone’s shirt, I’ll say “Nice shirt.” I comment on tats too, “Nice ink.” If you’re tattooed out the ying-yang and wearing clothes that show it, I’m thinking you don’t mind if I look. I don’t mind if mine is showing and people say “Cool tat.”

2. RockerGal says:

if I saw that on my receipt, I would give that waiter a huge tip. now if it was a female waitress that gave this to my husband, … now,..THAT would be something different ! lol

3. missmarymack says:

I waited tables for years, and the servers would often have fun with the “open food” button. You could create an item, and a price, and leave funny notes for your friends or regular customers. I’d often add a $500 charge for “attitude” (obviously, a joke that was taken off the bill)
    However, two dudes I worked with took it way too far. They’d leave lewd messages on each others checks, assuming the other would notice before it made it to the table. Well, one went out that had a pile of filth written on it, the cleanest of which was “dirty snatch cleaning fee”. Miraculously, the guy who got the bill was a fun and flamboyant gay gay would thought it was hilarious. I would have died.

4. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

“Best Butt” – If true, it’s kind of creepy… I don’t think it’s particularly witty to sexualize the customer.

• That guy. says:

I agree…if this was done as “Best Smile” or “Coolest Tattoos” or even “Prettiest Customer” it would be far less creepy.

• ChuckECheese says:

Some people are into faces, others into asses. Haters gotta hate.

• crispyduck13 says:

Some people are into faces, others into asses.

Well that is true, but it doesn’t make it any less weird to pass on a compliment like that. When my significant other tells me how awesome my ass is it’s a compliment. When a complete stranger does it as a maybe pick up line it’s creepy as hell. How could it not be? It means this strange person has been staring at you and your ass and wanted to make sure you knew about it, it’s actually pretty demeaning.

As a woman who gets a lot of attention for a nice butt I would be totally skeeved out by this and would probably never go back there.

• That guy. says:

What qualifies as “a lot of attention”?

• craftman says:

I’m guessing guys pushing carts in the grocery store careen into display cases and knock them over when she walks by.

• crispyduck13 says:

Man, I don’t even want to go into it. Suffice to say you put a young pretty girl with a nice rear and a small waist in the middle of Pittsburgh, there is no end to what a certain type of man will say and do. Cat-calling from cars on the street was the milder of the offenses. My sister has the same problem, it runs in the family.

5. dicobalt says:

It would depend on the people involved but it doesn’t have to be creepy. Can’t imagine the manager of the restaurant would be too happy at taking that risk though.

6. red92s says:

Had the same reaction to this email and promptly called HSBC to close my account. Rep told me the same thing: that it only applies to WIRE TRANSFERS, and that it’s pretty much been crisis mode over there trying to handle the volume of calls. It’s actually a reduction in that fee (it was previously $15). Just a REALLY badly worded announcement.

Glad I read it, I figured it was just their monthly “we are dropping the interest rate again” email.

7. vliam says:

I’d be more insulted by the size of the discount.

That and the pro-carnivore sig lines on a veggie bowl purchase.

8. msbaskx2 says:

I vote creepy, but I freely admit to being (mabye too) sensitive to stuff like this and am usually mildly uncomfortable when stupid guys do the, “Woo Hoo Yeah Baby” out the window as they drive by or when whistling and or stupid comments are made when passing construction workers.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I don’t think you’re too sensitive. I don’t think I’m being alarmist when I say that I get uncomfortable not only because I don’t typically draw attention to myself, but also because I don’t know where they draw the line between whistles and catcalls and being the guy who harasses women. The world is full of sleezebags, and I think a guy who will whistle and catcall a woman probably isn’t making the best life decisions in the first place. I don’t think it’s a stretch to be concerned they might not have the best moral compass (unless someone put it on their receipt).

• mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

BEST MORAL COMPASS -$0.01

Not sure that would convince me either.

• The Beer Baron says:

This is why, when yelling things at passersby (as is my wont), I try to limit it to things like “You there! In the Phish t-hirt! I’d like to take a moment to point out that the musical group you appear to be a fan of is really quite sub-par! Also, it may behoove you to visit a barber for a trim, as your hair is in danger of reaching your hips!”

• xspimpin says:

You guys are all doing it wrong. Take a page from Family Guy with drive by arguments. Limit your complement to 1 quick short phrase and drive off as fast as possible.

“Oh Reginald…I disagree!”

9. Hoss says:

It wasn’t too creepy until I read the “Meat is Murder, Tasty, Tasty Murder!” at the bottom. What kind of place is this?

• crispyduck13 says:

Oh my god, just noticed. Now I’m sure this is a photoshop prank.

• somedaysomehow says:

Actually, I’m fairly certain I’ve seen that tagline on a receipt at a local restaurant. I have my suspicions as to which one, but can’t be sure.

10. madcatcasey says:

Best Butt…? I assume you have some empirical data to back up that claim???

• CPENinja says:

Before making a proper reply about the creepiness of this receipt, I would need to see a picture of the posterior in question, along with a description of the other contenders for the prize at the time of acquisition.

11. Jawaka says:

I don’t see this as being any more creepy than if the waiter came up and said it personally. It shows a little bit of originality that some women appreciate.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i see both options as equally creepy. not that one is less or more creepy than the other, but if either happened, i would feel uncomfortable enough to not want to return to that restaurant.

• crispyduck13 says:

What makes you think a waiter coming up and saying it personally isn’t also horribly creepy and unprofessional?

It shows a little bit of originality that some women appreciate.

You sir, underestimate what women appreciate.

• Jawaka says:

I guess I just live in a world where life happens around you. If I just happened to be in work the moment that I run into what could possibly be my soul mate I’m supposed to just let it go because I’m in work? IMO There’s a difference between innocent flirting and harassment and this isn’t harassment to me unless she asked him to stop and he didn’t.

• That guy. says:

“Stop putting comments on my checks.”

O_o

• VintageLydia says:

I know Aspies who know not to cross that line. Neurotypical dudes have NO excuse.

And to be clear, my issue isn’t compliments, necessarily, just sexual compliments. Because that’s weird. Regular compliments are nice!

• crispyduck13 says:

So I guess in your world “Best Butt” and “Best Looking” are the sort of things you would say to your soul mate upon first seeing them?

She’ll be charmed, I’m sure.

• iesika says:

If you think someone’s butt is a good criteria to determine if they are your soul mate… well, good for you. You keep me in business (that business being custody and divorce litigation).

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I think the waiter coming up and saying it to a person is creepier, actually, because it requires some kind of response. On the receipt, it’s still really creepy, but you don’t have a confrontation. As for “originality”…I don’t care whether some women appreicate it, the waiter is an idiot for thinking all women appreciate it or that it’s appropriate to do something like that.

• VintageLydia says:

It’s cute you think it’s original for strangers to come up to women and compliment them on their ass/boobs/etc.

It’s extremely creepy and boundary crossing. Complement me on my sense of style, my hair, or whatever else that doesn’t sexualize me and I’d think it was a nice gesture. My body actual physical body? That’s a bit boundary crossing for most women I know.

• That guy. says:

Personally, if I am looking to complement a woman with the intent of flirting or opening the door to a conversation, I’ll pick something that reflects their personality. An item of clothing or jewelry they chose to wear, etc. Not something physical that they are just born with.

• darklighter says:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but “BEST BUTT” isn’t original.

12. AustinTXProgrammer says:

I think the 2 cents bit redeems it. Everyone wants an opportunity to “give their 2 cents.”

13. That guy. says:

“Worst Butt $25.00″

14. RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

I used to program these for a living, and yes, some systems let you give a discount and type the reason. (Some let you do a freeform food item if it’s a special request as well.) This is so you can put something to justify it like “late meal” or “goodwill” so that the boss reading later will know why you did it.

I have to wonder what the boss thought of this!

15. TheMansfieldMauler says:

I’m going to have to see pictures before I can form an opinion.

16. axolotl says:

HEY LADY NICE RACK
    Where are you going? That was a compliment!

17. NorthAlabama says:

it’s not the job of the servers to rate the customers…it’s the other way around. try this:

didn’t refill drink for 30 minutes -$1.00
    smart alec attitude when asked to refill drink -$2.00

i like this better!

• axolotl says:

There was a sitcom episode years ago where the guy sat down at a restaurant with a stack of one dollar bills on the table and he calmly explained to the waiter that was his tip and every time he did something wrong he was going to take a dollar away, and every time he did something right he would put one back. You could try that.

• Mambru says:

Yes! Third rock from the sun ! that show was awesome

• NorthAlabama says:

guess what…i already do, but not to the end you might think. i usually tip 20% for good service, 15% for acceptable service, only 1 in 50 checks are lower than 15%, and 20 checks are at the 20% level.

however; there is always that server who doesn’t care. isn’t that what tips are for, to acknowledge superior, as well as inferior service???

18. DrLumen says:

Reminds me of a short film Named Fine Line Between Cute and Creepy.

Two couples, same situation and almost exactly the same dialog but one guy is perceived as cute and romantic and the other as creepy and stalking. Worth a watch if you can find it.

Just a matter of perception. If I were the server I wouldn’t do it this way. Perhaps the server was an immature kid?

19. Kestris says:

Creepy, creepy, creepy.

Yup, that about sums it up.

20. hymie! says:

Now I am sad.

My Taco Bell order recently had an explained 5-cent surcharge. Now I know what it was for. :(

21. PsiCop says:

I suppose this could be viewed as creepy, but given the server entered it into a POS system, he just left behind an audit trail leading directly to his “creepiness.” A truly “creepy” compliment-giver would have chosen a less traceable method.

So in the end, I have to say it’s a nice thing.

• crispyduck13 says:

That’s not true, dumb people can be just as creepy as smart people.

It’s equal opportunity creeping.

22. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

What are the genders of the customer and waiter? A straight guy & a gay waiter? That could be creepy.

23. Rocinante says:

Sheesh, no wonder the rest of the world laughs at how uptight and wimpy we are. We are all brainwashed by corporate h/r buzzwords that make us afraid to say the most innocuous compliments to each other. It is all about me, me, me, and how “me” feels, but we don’t know how to take each comment on a case by case basis and analyze intent.

• msbaskx2 says:

“Best Butt” is not what I would consider an innocuous compliment. How come I’m not allowed to decide how someone’s words make me, me, me feel?

24. WeaponX2099 says:

Shouldn’t you get better discount for Best Butt than 0.01 off. That’s like a good 10% discount.

• frank64 says:

Yeah, it is definitely worth more than .02. I think the amount of the discount is the biggest outrage.

25. some.nerd says:

One time when I worked as a server, an attractive twentysomething and her friend asked me if I was single…
    …I wasn’t. And I was honest about it. I think the girl who was interested was awfully embarassed after though, because they left me like, a 60% tip on a $20-somethingish tab. Oh, to relive those glory days (which were all of 3 years ago)…

26. CrazyEyed says:

Judging by the receipt and the message at the very bottom, I take it this restaurant attracts the type of crowd who is not overly sensitive or politically correct. Such a receipt is something I’d expect to find at a place like Jack Astors or a Sports Bar.

27. darklighter says:

The only reason “BEST BUTT” should show up on a restaurant receipt is if you’re at a BBQ place, and it’ll probably run you around $8. Maybe more like $10. It is the best, after all.

28. Bob A Dobalina says:

Exactly how do you judge who has the best butt among a room full of people who are sitting on theirs?

29. psm321 says:

Glad I’m not the only one who noticed that about the order vs. the pro-meat statement.

30. HogwartsProfessor says:

When did it become okay not to keep your thoughts in your head? I would definitely think this was out of line if it were me. Your job as a server is to serve the damn food, nothing more. Whether you thought I was a bitch or hot or had a nice ass, keep it to yourself. I’m paying for food, not for you to look at my ass.

I had a landscape worker tell me once what he would like to do to me. This was a married guy, who heretofore had acted completely normal, then all of a sudden came out with this unbelievably inappropriate spiel. I can still recall the sense of shock (and a little bit of repulsion). It’s inappropriate to do that to a stranger or a customer, period.

31. framitz says:

A 2¢ discount seems more of an insult than flattery, or praise.

32. voiceofreason says:

I think the scariest thing on this page is how few people actually know the difference between “complement” and compliment”.

33. rdclark says:

“Meat is Murder, Tasty Tasty Murder?”

I smell bacon.

34. Lt. Coke says:

All about context.

• Michael Belisle says:

Yup. Here, we have very little.

The important question is Does the receiver think its creepy? We can glean a little bit of a hint from the playful title, “complimented rather sneakily,” and a comment by the OP down the thread where she says something like “it’s actually rather nice if I say so myself.” Hence, the answer here is apparently….. not creepy.

And in the context of two people flirting, it’s mostly irrelevant what someone who is not involved in the flirting transaction thinks. You can’t fault a person for not using your personal definition of what is creepy or not on people who are not you. Or fault them even if they get it wrong with you, because it’s not like the other party can read your mind. The best we can hope for is that if the attention is off the mark, that fact is accepted gracefully.

35. laweez says:

I got “MILF” as my name on a receipt once. Someone said the bartender did that to get bigger tips, IDK.

36. Kisses4Katie says:

Yeah I’m wondering what restaurant this is even from. It seemed kinda vegan to me until I got to the ‘Tasty Tasty’ line.

• mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

A minimal bit of Googling will reveal it was a franchise of “Twisted Root Burger” in Texas,

• Michael Belisle says:

Clicking a few links after doing that will reveal that one of their slogans is “Get your buns in here.” Clearly the type of joint where this sort of behavior will be frowned upon.

• Smiling says:

Twisted Root has the best hamburgers known to man. I can’t believe she would order a veggie bowl there. I am a vegetarian and have considered cheating just to have one of their burgers.

37. glopezz05 says:

I used to work at Marble Slab Creamery and I, along with every other guy in there, would give free ice cream to all the hot women that came in. We thought we were so cool, and yeah, it did get a couple phone numbers. But looking back I see it as creepy. Live and learn.

38. doncraw says:

Creepy. VERY creepy.

39. graaahh says:

Not a woman, but perhaps some women could chime in… wouldn’t this be rather creepy to see? “Thanks random waiter I don’t know, it sure is nice to know the wait staff is ogling my ass while I visit your establishment.”

• RolloTomasi says:

If you’re a woman with a nice ass, the waitstaff IS ogling your ass while you visit their establishment. In fact, everywhere you go, someone is ogling your ass. I don’t get that bothered by people who find this offensive, but what I can’t fathom is the people who act surprised when this happens.

Everyone checks everyone else out, all the time. Whether positively or negatively, every time you leave the house, someone else looks at you, categorizes and ranks you, and judges your appearance. How do people find this surprising?

I think the receipt thing is funny, although way chicken. Better results by simply telling her to her face.

40. kaimet says:

My two cents:

1 — Unless I missed it in the article, there were very few clues to guide you to think this was a man giving a discount (off handed compliment) to a woman. It could be a man-o-man thing or a woman giving the receipt to a man. Does that change things?

2 — The problem most women have with this (if I can be so bold to think I can summarize it) is that it IS creepy to have someone comment on your physical attributes. Even if a women dresses to “ask for it.” And so they don’t like it. Let me explain this to the guys and, too, so you’ll know I don’t like it as well, being a guy myself — It’s a matter of degrees, and where is the line drawn anyway? Imagine that your compliments are trending thusly: “nice hair;” “I like that shirt;” “cute elbow;” “best butt;” ‘that camel toe is freaking awesome!” See what I mean? If you don’t know where to stop then don’t begin.

One more thing. As a customer, how do I know this “compliment” is not saved in that POS machine of yours? If it is, then by definition that’s harassment.