Yet Another Condo Complex Requires Tenants To Provide Doggie DNA

Requiring DNA test for dogs living in condo complexes is now officially a trend, with yet another condo association demanding that canine-owning residents provide samples of their furry friends’ DNA so they can identify those pooches that poop in public.

The complex in Hollywood, FL., along with two other nearby complexes operated by the same management company, join the ranks of these Northern Virginia condominiums and these apartments in Lebanon, NH, that have turned to dog DNA testing to curb the poo problem.

At Hollywood Station Condominium on Hollywood Blvd. and Dixie Hwy, residents will soon have to subject their dogs to DNA tests so their association can track down who’s not picking up after their pets.

“We give notices, we’ve been giving notices,” the manager of the Florida complex tells CBS Miami. “I’ve been here 3 years and really the behavior hasn’t changed.”

Thus, residents with dogs will now need to have their pets’ cheeks swabbed and sent to a lab. And whenever poop is found on complex grounds, someone will have the enviable job of not only picking it up, but sending off a sample for testing. If the doodie DNA matches any of the doggie DNA on file, the owner will be slapped with a fine.

“$150 and then after that I think it goes up a little bit more,” says one tenant. “150 bucks for some poop is a pretty big deal.”

The manager says she she doesn’t want to resort to fines and hopes that owners knowing they will be caught will put an end to the pooping.

“If nothing else, it’s going to change behavior,” she says.

Unlike the Virginia condo, where residents were up in arms about not only having to submit to the testing, but about having to fork over money for the tests, the cost of the DNA tests at the Florida condos will be covered by the $350 deposit pet owners have already put down.

Comments

1. ferozadh says:

If the poop scooping gloves don’t fit, you must acquit!

2. Bladerunner says:

Don’t these places already have cameras?

3. That guy. says:

If one registered dog ate another registered dog, what happens when they dna test that poop?

4. Smiling says:

I still don’t know how I feel about this. I am disgusted daily by the amount of dog poo on the grounds of our very upscale apartments. There aren’t supposed to be dogs over 50lbs. but there are. The owners of the biggest dogs seem to be the most frequent offenders. It is really gross and an eye sore. I can understand why a complex might resort to this. But I also think it could be a bit invasive.

• Almighty Peanut says:

after they implemented this on my condo complex, the dog crap just kept coming. it’s the same owners with unregistered dogs leaving the poop as it falls. in fact, i think it’s worse now, and you are correct, it’s always nice big piles from dogs not even supposed to be in the complex.

• Snaptastic says:

My old complex has a doggy area that even had a convenience bag disposal station and a trash can, but the place was a disgusting minefield of turds (many large ones) that some lazy folks couldn’t be bothered to pick up.

My corgi didn’t even want to go into that area–I figure he was also disgusted by his inability to get a sniff without stepping in it.

• Captain Spock says:

I want to let you know, your avatar mesmerized me and I had trouble reading.

• lvixen says:

I too am mesmerized by the avatar. I love it. Continue thoughts about poop patrol/control.

• Smiling says:

We have multiple stations and trash cans. When I walk over there, there are regularly people who leave piles next to the bag stations. People can be such assholes.

• dush says:

People who can afford an upscale place can probably afford to let their precious baby poop where ever they want and then think nothing of paying the fine.

5. Brynden says:

Why not ban pets if it’s such a big problem?

6. That guy. says:

Just to make them want to stop the practice, dog poop from other parts of town should be collected and deposited around the complex, so they have to repeatedly test poop that leads nowhere.

• Lethe says:

Really? You’d go that far just so you can keep letting your dog poop without cleaning it up? Think about it- you’re getting feces from who knows what, that could be carrying any number of diseases, and carrying it across town to place in your yard for your dog or your neighbour’s dogs to roll in.

• That guy. says:

The real kicker is, I don’t even have a dog.

• scoosdad says:

Come and take the ones on the narrow strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street out in front of my house. People seem to think that because it’s not someone’s lawn, it’s OK to let their dogs poop there. Always plenty of it to take to somewhere else!

• aaronx says:

So we pick up other dog poop to avoid having to pick up our dog poop? Solid plan.

• JJFIII says:

How about stopping the practice of letting your dog shit wherever the hell you want. I am all for having cities start this practice too. If you go to the park and there is dog poop there, the DNA tests could find the guilty party and that owner will be fined. I say make the fine $1000 for first offense and $10,000 for the second offense. After that, the animal will be taken away from you for failure to properly take care of your animal. If I were the condo association, I would also start neighborhood patrols and video cameras. Any visitor who brings their dog to the complex would be the responsibility of the condo owner.
      If you can not clean up after your dog, you are the same person who would leave a dog in a parked car in the dead of summer or the moron who allows your dog to breed with any other dog because you would NEVER allow your pet to be spayed or neutered.

• That guy. says:

I just think dog poop teaches people to watch where they are walking. Get their attention out of their smart phones, and take responsibility for where you step.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I already do that because there are geese everywhere in the park. And they’re territorial.

• dush says:

Right, instead of paying for “keep off the grass” signs the complex can just let people have their dogs poop all over the grass so people won’t walk there.

• Snapdragon says:

Failing to clean up dog poop is not a failure to properly take care of an animal. It’s rude, annoying and inconsiderate, but the dog is not suffering abuse.

DNA-testing dog poop has got to be the biggest waste of time and expense I have ever heard of. Why don’t they instead hire some kid for minimum wage to go around and clean up errant turds?

• benminer says:

Yea a national doggy DNA database. That’s an idea that could actually work.

/s

• Costner says:

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around a $1,000 fine for the first offense and $10,000 for the second. I’m all for punishment, but I somehow do’t see a fine that is larger than the fine given to drunk drivers to be considering an appropriate response.

I’d settle for $250 for the first fine, $500 for each subsequent fine… and after maybe three violations in any one year timeframe (assuming anyone is dumb enough to incur $1250 in fines without changing their habits) then I could see that tenants right to have a pet revokes and/or eviction proceedings beginning.

Thing is, there are so many ways to cheat the system that DNA testing just doesn’t make sense. Why not cover the grounds in high resolution cameras so they can watch the offenders and track them right back to their apartments / condos? Seems like that would make more sense.

• Byte says:

Speaking and spaying and neutering, here’s a candidate for that right here.

$10,000 fine? Really?

7. aaronx says:

What ever happened to just not being an awful human being and cleaning up after yourself?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

There have always been inconsiderate people who think they can do whatever they want. I have to deal with neighborhood kids who litter. These people deal with unruly dog owners.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

…or your dog.

• Snaptastic says:

Society got super lazy and inconsiderate.

8. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Jeez, what’s the big deal? Everyone knows dog poop is sterile anyway.

• Dirk Daring says:

I’ll remember that when my 6yr old steps in it and tracks it across the floor. I wish my apt had cameras on every flippin roof to catch the jerks.

• Batty Bird says:

Please tell me you’re joking. Urine is sterile, but dog feces can carry a delightfully colorful range of diseases and parasites.

9. Mr_Magoo says:

I looked out my window the other day and saw 2 teenage boys with their dog, dumping in my yard (the dog, not the boys). I, not very nicely, stormed outside and asked if they were planning on cleaning that up. One of them ended up taking off his flip flops and scooping up the poo with them. I offered them a plastic bag, but by this point he pretty much had it all and was embarrassed and declined the bag.

I felt kind of bad, but it was kind of funny seeing him walking away down the street barefoot, trying to balance a shoe of poo.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I’m surprised they were shamed into doing the right thing, rather than scowling at you and stomping home to get their parent to come yell at you for harassing their precious snowflake.

• Mr_Magoo says:

That’s part of the reason I felt bad – they were actually polite and apologetic about it.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

At least you were able to teach them that lesson. Obviously since they didn’t have a plastic bag with them meant they didn’t intend to clean up after themselves. Now they might think twice before going on their walk without a plastic bag.

• That guy. says:

I gotta admit, I laughed at the part where you offered them a bag after he already used his flipflop.

• MarkFL says:

When there are laws against public pooping, only outlaws will poop in public.

• frank64 says:

Yeah, they were better kids than many. Must have been fairly young. That or they had good parents.

• chiieddy says:

My husband was once walking the dog and realized a bit too late he forgot the bags. Note, we have a somewhat large greyhound. The neighbor whose property [not on the actual lawn but on the strip between the sidewalk and the road] the “items” were dropped was out and my husband said, “I’ll be right back. I forgot the bag.” The neighbor said, “Yeah, right” and my husband said, “I’m , your neighbor at and I’ll be back in 2 minutes”. The guy turned bright red.

• Costner says:

You know back when I had a dog I will admit I had one or two problems. I always carried a bag with me for such cases, but I do recall one time after my dog had finished I picked everything up and then a block or so later there was a trash can so I dumped the bag. Wouldn’t you know it – my dog dropped another bomb a few blocks later and I had nothing to clean it up.

I should have came back later I will admit it, but I ended up sort of using my shoe to push it on to the street so at least nobody would step on it while walking across the lawn.

That said – 99% of the time when someone allows their dog to dump on a lawn and then doesn’t pick it up it is just because they are rude, inconsiderate pricks.

10. evilpete says:

Sadly there are a lot of inconsiderate people that don’t care.

Ask anyone that remembers the 70’s before poop-scoop laws were put into effect. On some sidewalks in NYC there a steaming pile of doggy love every 8 to 12 feet..

11. ospreyguy says:

My solution would be to swab someone else’s dog (outside the complex) and let mine poop to it’s hearts content – just out of spite.

• BorkBorkBork says:

Or steal poops from other complexes and leave them in the condo lawn. They’ll have to give up after all the samples they find don’t match w/ the tenants’ dogs, right? Right?

12. Kestris says:

I just wanted to say that that is a very lovely Akita in the top photo.

And yeah, no. I’m not providing my Akita’s DNA for arbitrary DNA testing because someone can’t pick up after their dog.

13. hammitz says:

Why not just take all of the money from these pet deposits, DNA swabs of pets, and DNA analyses of poops, gather it all up, and pay the grounds crew a little more to just pick up the poop every day? Why make it into a witch hunt, when you could just make it a service?

• Costner says:

It sort of spirals downward though. If you made the grounds crew start doing it, it would raise costs (since most lawn maintenance crews aren’t exactly thrilled with the idea of picking up piles of poop and thus would likely charge a premium price). Then the people who were actually picking up after their dogs would stop since they figure the grounds crew would do so.

Next thing you know they are spending hours every week cleaning up after pets, which then results in more expense to the HOA. The non-pet owners would get stuck paying more in HOA fees to cover the rudeness of the pet-owners who allow the dumping. That doesn’t really seem like an equitable solution.

I’d rather see them use video cameras to monitor things and then fine the homeowners. At least that way there is an added benefit to the cameras since they would help improve security and could used as evidence if there is ever vandalism or a crime on the premises. I know some complain about “big brother” but if you are part of an HOA you pretty much already have someone watching your every move – at least a camera won’t lie about what it saw.

14. guaporico says:

I took care of a dog for a week, and I always took out three bags just in case she wanted to go multiple times. One time she really had it bad, pooped twice, thought I was still ok, then the third one was all liquid directly on the sidewalk that split someones driveway. Nothing I could do there, hopefully they hosed it off…

So that brings up the question, what if a dog has serious diarrhea?

15. HungryHippo says:

Having stepped in poop and seeing a GINORMOUS rat eat unpicked dog poop out in the middle of the night.. I have to agree to this. If you follow the rules you wont have to worry about it. The condo association said they have been battling this for 3 years and how else can they make a statement about this to get people to enforce? I think its up in the air if they would follow up with DNA on single occurances but I am sure they have it as protection and to give new tenants that they are serious about enforcing this rule. Also, rats eat dog poop, and if its not picked up then a rat problem can occur thus needing an unnecesary expense of having exterminators.

16. Kuri says:

If you have enough money to live in an HOA neighborhood ,you have enough money to pool together and pay someone to clean the place up.

17. Dirk Daring says:

Wish my apt complex would do it, some dog has pooping right outside the front entrance to our building. Owner doesn’t give a crap (hah!). A big fat fine or three would fix it I’m sure.

18. momosgarage says:

I still don’t understand how this works. I have had dogs for decades and sometimes they get loose stools. You can have a bag etc, but you won’t be able to get it all. Will the designated “poop tester” swab whatever is left over and pass on the fine? What about bits that hang onto the grass etc? Do you need to walk around with a garden sprayer and poop bags to keep from being labeled guilty? Also how many companies are offering this DNA service? I can only find one and they are owned by BioPet Vet lab. From what I know of them they do a lot of genetic type R&D for livestock animals. They also have a big DNA registry. So are the people who are forced to use the PooPrints DNA service essentially giving away free genetic data for BioPet Vet Lab to profit from? Its one thing to protect the building from irresponsible owners who don’t pick up thier dogs poop, its a whole different thing to turn over valuable data for free to someone else can potentially profit from it. I wonder if their is any legal recourse to prevent an HOA or building owner from forcing people to turn over their pets DNA to the corporation BioPet Vet lab?

Their websites:

People who buy into these kinds of services and force others to play along, do not realize how these kinds companies actually make money are just plain morons.

19. ancientone567 says:

I live in a condo and it is a regular poopalozzza of poop lol. The only way to make it stop is this. I watch some of the owners sometimes and they just let their dog or dogs crap just about anywhere and then they don’t clean it up. There cannot be a 24 hour watch and we can’t afford cameras so this is it. Pay all the fees with fines. Not a bad idea.

20. cspschofield says:

When I was growing up, it was generally understood that dogs poop outdoors. Possibly this had something to do with the number of people who remembered the constant problem of horse-apples in the street (I was born in 1961). That said, I can understand why people would get grossed out by dog turds, and want dog-owners to clean up after themselves.

I assume that there is some kind of exception made for seeing-eye dogs, whose owners would obviously have considerable difficulty.

Beyond that, if the facility is paying for the testing, then I’m not sure that the dog owners have a legitimate beef. Pick up after your dog. If that is too gross for you to do, then you are too prissy to own anything bigger than a goldfish.

21. MarkFL says:

I live in a rental complex in the same county (although not particularly upscale), and they instituted this program last year. I don’t have a dog, so I don’t remember the specifics, but I think they owners had to pay for the testing. I also seem to recall that the dogs had to be brought in to the office for the initial sample, which would prevent anyone using another dog’s DNA.

As I said, not particularly upscale so there isn’t the money or chutzpah to install cameras to cover every inch of the common area.

22. philside92 says:

if i knew of a complex near me doing something this stupid with their funds, i can assure you it would coincide with my dog taking a lot of walks there.

and it would be the first time i didn’t pick up her poop, too.

23. kurtharp says:

Easier fix:

raise the rent of those with pets and use the money to hire a poop guy (yes, there is such an occupation.)

24. makoto says:

Honestly, I think the less invasive and more effective solution is to just mandate they pay a surcharge on their rent to cover a groundskeeper to pick up dog shit. Less invasive, clean grounds, and no one has to deal with arguments over whose dog did it and waste money on dna testing. Besides, there are plenty of people looking to make a few extra bucks as the job market down here is miserable. I live only a city away. It’s MISERABLE.

• MarkFL says:

The complex in the article is a condo, so they don’t pay rent. Where I live (rental), dog owners already pay a “deposit” (quotations because it’s non-refundable). The charge for the DNA testing is on top of that.

25. Costner says:

This would be easy to get around though. Just go to the local animal shelter and/or find a friend who has a dog which is very similar to the dog you already own. Take that dog to the HOA to get a DNA swab, then return the dog.

Now when they see you with your real dog they will think it is the one that has been tested, because most people can’t tell dogs apart if they aren’t theirs and if they aren’t different breeds / colors.

Proceed to let dog poop wherever you wish, and watch the frustration of the HOA as they unsuccessfully test sample after sample without a match.

I know… stupid idea. Yet rude, inconsiderate pet owners are capable of much worse.

• momosgarage says:

I thought this too. Also what is to stop some one from trying to contaminate the sample at the source? I have done DNA sampling before to check for hereditary diseases etc and I’m pretty sure if you line the dogs gums with pork fat or lard just before the test, the sample swab taken at the mouth will be contaminated. Not to mention, if I lived in a complex like this I would invite people over who don’t live in the building to have thier dog poop on the premises. Heck I might even bring in some “outside poop” to prove a point. But I’m sure the overall frustration of failure would drive the HOA to come with an additional draconian policy to compensate.

26. sqeelar says:

This is why you visit the circus or zoo and get exotic samples. If they don’t fire the DNA testing outfit after the results, then everyone will be hiding under the bed in case Godzilla appears.

27. TheCorporateGeek Says Common Sense Is The Key says:

Sorry, not sticking needles into a dog I own. Associations are shit and they don’t have enough money to fight it to the end.