Nominate Your Most-Hated Commercials For Worst Ad In America 2012!

With the exception of a handful of arguably entertaining commercials — and even those tend to grate over time — TV commercials are the bane of a TV watcher’s time in front of the boob tube. This is why we invent technology to skip over ads, or mute buttons to quiet them, or sudoku games to play while they are on. It’s also why Consumerist is announcing its third-annual Worst Ad In America awards!

So once again, it’s time to take all that hatred, anger, disgust, rage, nausea, dizziness and bleeding you might feel every time certain ads interrupt your favorite shows, and focus it into nominating those spots for any of the coveted titles available to these truly terrible TV spots.

Last year’s big loser was the “Poop, There It Is!” ad from Luvs diapers, which featured adorable cartoon babies competing in an American Idol-like competition — to fill up their nappies with as much excrement as they could hold.

We haven’t seen that spot in quite some time, so it’s time to find another ad that deserves the title of Absolute Worst Ad In America.

And there are other categories for those ads that may have particularly irritating features, but might not merit the big award.

Here are the categories from last year… We’re open to changing these and/or adding new ones, so don’t limit yourself:

Most Grating Performance By a Human
Group That Ought To Go Its Separate Ways
Trend That Needs To Stop Being A Trend
Most Irritating Animated Actor
Worst Abuse Of An Existing Song
Original Jingle That Should Be Junked
Celebrity Who Could Probably Use A New Manager
Creepiest Commercial Of The Year

In terms of eligibility, the rules are pretty simple. The ad must have aired on U.S. TV stations (cable or broadcast) in the last 12 months.

To nominate an ad, mention it in the comments below or send an e-mail to tips@consumerist.com with WAIA2012 in the subject. You can nominate as many ads as you like, in as many categories as you see fit.

All nominations must be posted or sent by 5 p.m. ET on Friday Aug. 31.

Comments

1. That guy. says:

I don’t like that Toyota spokeswoman. She has a huge jaw line, like a skeleton.

And that bit about the guy being uncontrolably attracted to her bugs me.

• Bagels says:

Agree on both points. Like she is supposed to be so unbelievably attractive that there is no way the guy could NOT be attracted to her

2. twocutetx says:

Worst Abuse of An Existing Song . . . Most Grating Performance . . . Creepiest . . Jingle that Should be Junked . . whatever .. . . that STUPID SENSA COMMERCIAL!

Shake your Sensa *cringes*

3. pecan 3.14159265 says:

One of the most awkward ads I’ve seen in a while is the Dove body wash/soap ad where two women shower and then tell each other how Dove has improved their skin. First, it’s creepy. Secondly, whether Dove wants to admit it or not, women do not regularly tell each other to feel their arms.

• Jane_Gage says:

Dove is about proactive social change. Don’t you want to live in a world where any body type is accepted with love, and women shower together?

• videoman says:

Oh sure, let’s live in a world where anyone can grope you and tell you that you’re using the wrong soap.

/s

4. Mr_Magoo says:

Most irritating animated actor(s):

The Charmin bears

• Snullbug says:

Absolutely. Taking a crap is taking a crap whether you use humans or animated bears and I don’t want to hear anymore about it.

5. Silverhawk says:

I’m sure I’ll be unpopular for this, but for the Most Grating… category, any and all of the Progressive ads featuring Flo.

• Hayati, the wobbly says:

you aren’t the only one.

• go-payroll says:

She does seem to get progressively (tee hee) creepier with each new ad!

• Duffin (Ain't This Kitty Cute?) says:

She’s definitely begun to get on my nerves a little. I actually looked forward to Flo commercials at first, but lately it’s just the same joke over and over and it’s no longer funny.

• SilentAgenger says:

+1. I liked Flo when it was just her throwing out quips to various customers, but now they’re expanding the “cast” with recurring characters that dilute the ad campaign’s original premise. With the “FloBot” and the recent Olympic-themed commercial, you can tell they’re grasping for any new/fresh/interesting way to present the character (and not succeeding, IMO)…a tell-tale signal that something is past it’s prime.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

The “Other Insurance Company” guys are an especially annoying addition to those ads.

• dangermike says:

It’s like a bad recurring SNL character sketch where the joke was the character. It never has been funny or entertaining.

6. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I forgot to mention the Chevy truck month commercial that has the female worker ogling the man shopping for a pickup truck. If a man were doing that to a woman shopping for a truck, people would be upset, but since a woman is doing it to a man shopping for a truck, it’s okay? It reminds me of the Pepsi commercials from days gone by, with the women at the office ogling the Pepsi delivery guy.

I just don’t really care for commercials depicting a member of my gender as floozy. When Mr. Pi and I first saw it, both of us went “WTF?”

7. That guy. says:

Most Irritating Use of an Existing Song….I have a feeling I’ll be the only one on this. I know Skrillex has a divisive presence on the internet, but I find his stuff catchy enough. In the GoPro commercials, it works.

But when slapped onto the commerical for Ben Stiller’s movie The Watch, it’s a huge sign that both the movie company is trying waaay to hard, and Skrillex is waaaay to over played.

8. crispyduck13 says:

I don’t know what catagory this fits in but those Adidas Nicky Minaj commercials are like cheese graters on all my senses, for so many reasons: those shoes are just plain ugly as hell, that woman is making a mint selling her “music” to the youth of the world, when one spot comes on you are guaranteed to see the same one 3 minutes later over and over, they play this commercial during shows that would seem to not have an audience for that sort of thing (ugly shoes, Nicki Minaj).

9. Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

I absolutely hate and am sick to death of the commercial advertising an upcoming show. I can’t even remember the show’s name since I’ve started hitting mute every time it comes on, but it’s the one where everything electrical shuts off and this band of annoying simpering teen/20 somethings have to find a way to turn it back on. It’s bad enough once every half hour, but the network plays it seemingly at every commercial break.

At least the Jiffy Lube Keep My Ride Alive totally annoying commercials seem to have died down (or else I’m not watching what they’re sponsoring).

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

What network is it in? I’ve never seen anything like that. Then again, I have a DVR and skip all commercials…

• AtlantaCPA says:

There is something about those ads that made me think they were a spoof for a long time. It’s like the ads are so over-produced they seem like those car ads that are trying to be movie trailers. I finally realized it was a real show and not some subtle ad for something else.

10. chris_rg says:

Most Grating Performance By a Human: How about those annoying Walmart “comparison” commercials with that overly-bubbly middle aged white guy who tells people how much they could save at Walmart and how “good” Walmart steaks are?

11. go-payroll says:

I would like to nominate the Totino’s pizza roll commercial with the 2 preteen boys who apparently cannot find their you-know-what in a well lit room with both hands, and then leave the phone in the freezer. This is as an offensive ad as I can possibly imagine.

12. Cicadymn says:

I nominate the cars.com ads (I think it’s cars.com, maybe autotrader, I always mute or change the channel right away) where you have the people who have the disgusting floating singing horribly heads either sprouting from their back or inside a mound of hair on the woman’s head.

I believe the ads will qualify for the following categories:

Most Grating Performance By a Human
    Original Jingle That Should Be Junked
    Creepiest Commercial Of The Year
    Worst Commercials of 2012

13. AtlantaCPA says:

All of the Zaxby’s ads make my brain hurt. They take some D-list actor and make them say something stupid. It’s so bad it makes my IQ drop even when I mute the commercials.

• Banished to the Corner says:

Agree, it’s one of those commercials that even though you have it muted, you try to mute it again. My niece laughs every time I try to ‘mute’ an already muted commercial.

She thinks I’m weird, but she doesn’t mute, skip, or change the channel on any commercial. She watches them….every single one of them. In some cases, she’ll say “I hate that commercial”, but will watch the whole thing….very odd child (she’s 29!!).

14. Wonko the Sane says:

I’d like to see the trend of movie commercials/trailers spoiling their own plot stop. The Dream House trailer took this to a new level. However, it also prevented me from paying to see it so maybe the trend isn’t all bad.

15. calquist says:

“Look! Look at me with your special eyes!” “My brand!!”

• calquist says:

Actually I love that commercial. I am nominating myself for Most Grating Performance By a Human because I use the ‘special eyes’ line way too often.

• cybrczch says:

“Overly Dramatic Dramatization”
      I’ve gotten to the point where I can imitate his exact voice inflection when he says ‘My brand!’
      my guilty pleasure commercial.

• dangermike says:

Yeah, the that guy says “My Br-wah-nd” just cracks me up, too.

• That guy. says:

I LOVE that commercial!

16. Duffin (Ain't This Kitty Cute?) says:

I’ve got two nominations for the same company. They’re both for Just for Men.

The first is the one with the dancing baby which has a beard. I have a severe hatred for babies doing unnatural things in commercials. It’s really not funny or cute.

The second one is for Just for Men “Autostop” and starts of looking like a news report where some british guy who can’t pronounce his ‘R’s correctly says, “The Gwey Ewa has met it’s match” or something. Other than the fact that I loath the superficial product that tries to convince men they aren’t attractive with grey hair (Unless it’s a “touch of grey”, of course), commercials that pretend to be news programs should be illegal. Plus, the end is bizarre. A box of Autostop randomly falls onto a guy on a desert island and he gets all excited. Because, yeah…grey hair matters when you’re trying to survive…

• Duffin (Ain't This Kitty Cute?) says:

I suppose those should probably both be in the “Trend That Needs To Stop Being A Trend” category.

• Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

I just saw the baby with the beard commercial last night for the first time. Creepy doesn’t even begin to describe that — and the fact he’s getting a baby bottle delivered to him in a club while he’s surrounded by nubile scantily dressed women just ups the ick factor.

17. thomwithanh says:

Most Grating Performance By a Human: Flo from Progressive
    Group That Ought To Go Its Separate Ways (Again): The Freecreditscore.com Band
    Trend That Needs To Stop Being A Trend: Nissan Changing the Words to Showtunes
    Most Irritating Animated Actor: Flo-bot from Progressive
    Worst Abuse of An Existing Song: Nissan: “It’s the Most Wonderful Sale Of The Year”
    Original Jingle That Should Be Junked: The Heavy Hitters (personal injury attorneys)
    Celebrity Who Could Probably Use A New Manager: Michael Jordan
    Creepiest Commercial Of The Year: Doggie Doo

• thomwithanh says:

Actually no, let me change two of mine:

Most Irritating Animated Actor: The General from General Car Insurance
      Original Jingle That Should Be Junked: “For a Great Low Rate You Can Get Online, Go to the General and Save Some Time”

• Banished to the Corner says:

I disagree on the most grating preformance…it should be that “most interesting guy” actor and all his comercials. Please, shoot him, bury him and any product he has endorsed.

• AstroPig7 says:

You might be alone on that one. I love those commercials.

• crispyduck13 says:

You mean The Most Interesting Man In The World for Dos Equis??

Oh hell no, he is safely in the hilarious zone forever after the ‘Manscaping’ spot.

18. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Most Irritating Animated Actor:
    The General for General Insurance

19. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Trend That Needs To Stop Being A Trend:
    Talking Babies

20. Rexy does not like the new system says:

Original Jingle That Should Be Junked – Target’s Back to School ones

Creepiest Commercial (in all media) – Little Babies

Worst ad overall – Any and all Subaru ads

Most Grating Performance By a Human – Flo (Progressive)

• snobum says:

Definitely the target ones!

• Tegan says:

OMG, those stupid Target back to school commercials are the worst right now. They’re so incredibly stupid and annoying.

• nodaybuttoday says:

Second the Target back to school commercials, especially We Got the Beat! Ugh.

• cybrczch says:

I nominate the creepy band teacher (but then, most high school band teachers I’ve met have been a little creepy…)
        “denim.. denim.. denim….. BACKPACK”

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Those Target Back to School ads, if they’re the ones where the teachers start jamming out, are not original. They’re 80s hits with new lyrics.

21. msmith6044 says:

Flo’s gotta go

22. Zernhelt says:

There could be a category for commercials that border on mis-information. That 5 Hour Energy one where they claim to be recommended by doctors comes to mind. While it appears that the language they use is carefully chosen, and the disclaimers are there, it still sounds like they’re claiming that doctors think all of their patients should be chugging energy drinks.

• Zernhelt says:

Oh, and the ad campaign with Jimmy Fallon and those babies for some credit card is pretty grating. I’d put any one of those in the Most Grating Performance By a Human category.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Oh my god, the Jimmy Fallon one! I don’t even remember what card it is, but the ad is so stupid. The kid is not cute, and even if she were, nobody getting the card would be affected by this baby’s opinion, but he acts like it’s this desperate, dramatic need.

• thomwithanh says:

My grandmother once told me those five hour energy commercials remind her of the “Doctors” who used to be spokesmen for Camel Cigarettes in the 1950′s.

• crispyduck13 says:

Your grandma is on the ball. I love that fine print they put in there that you can’t even read.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Yes! The “we asked doctors to review 5-hour energies and they said that they recommend a low-calorie energy drink for their patients who drink energy drinks”, meaning they said “if you HAVE to drink an energy drink, at least drink a lo-cal one!

Then it says “ask your doctor; we already did”, which leads people to not ask their doctors because the ad already said that doctors think it’s ok.

That one is so obviously skirting the truth that I cannot believe anyone falls for it.

• WhyNotTry says:

I was ready to nominate this commercial until I realized it didn’t fit a catagory. I would love to see a ‘most deceptive/best small print’ option.
      Although, the woman is pretty grating, “and the results are AMAZING”. It is one of the commercials I have to mute now, along with the one for Cox Cable (which I also cannot really fit into a category).

23. Kelther says:

Most grating… I’d vote for…

Rar, I can’t even remember the names, which shows how ineffective the commercials actually are, despite being played constantly.

Oh yeah. Quibids or Vistaprint.

24. HomerSimpson says:

ANY of those freakin Target commercials that are running right now. That includes the one with Melanie “I’ll sell *anything* for a buck” Deanne Moore.

• nodaybuttoday says:

Oh yeah, the back to school ones are SO annoying! That should be the worst abuse of an existing song! I think my least favorite one is the “We Got the Beat” parody, UGH.

25. snobum says:

I’m not sure which category this would fall into, but all the damn Siri commercials for the iphone. Guaranteed to make me change the channel.

26. Sarah of Get Cooking says:

I think it’s a commercial for a car. There’s a young woman talking about how she feels so bad for her parents because they just don’t get social networking and how her life is so much richer because of it, and she expects they are just sitting at home because they have no “friends” on facebook or some such. The parents are off-roading somewhere, having a great time while the daughter is at home browsing her friends’ feeds.

I find this commercial so condescending on both sides, showing young people as idiots who perceive online relationships as more important than in-person ones. And baby-boomers as being smug for knowing how the “real” world works even though they don’t know how to use today’s technology. It repeatedly offends me and comes off as an ageist attempt to pander to customers of a certain age, while insulting their (adult) children.

• cybrczch says:

Have to disagree with half of your condescenation. There is no indication about the baby boomers being ‘smug’ and not knowing how to use today’s technology. They are using it plenty fine in the car.

• crispyduck13 says:

I second this, totally forgot about them. Love how they are playing the mature adults as having more fun things to do and being more socially adjusted than their asshole adult children, but apparently forgot that this situation also results in the conclusion that shitty kids come from shitty parents.

• Rexy does not like the new system says:

That’s a Toyota one.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Is that car marketed specifically to old people, by the way? All the ads for it are with grown kids talking about what losers their old parents are while said old people are shown out doing
      “old people are active” things.

27. shannatheshedevil says:

Most Irritating Animated Actor

The Charmin bears. I refuse to even buy Charmin because of those damn bears. At least they aren’t pooping in the woods anymore, I guess…but somehow that might make them even worse.

• redskull says:

I refuse to buy Charmin because I’m not paying twice the price of other brands for something I’m just gonna wipe with.

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Charmin added ‘texture’ to their Basic rolls so they could fluff them up and put fewer sheets per package,

28. shannatheshedevil says:

Worst Abuse Of An Existing Song

Seansa. No. Just no.

29. LBM says:

That RAGU commercial…the one where an overweight kid opens the door to his parents bedroom at night and catches them having sex…..then turns away morbidly….cue to chubby kid sitting at dinner table with parents having “earned” his plate of spaghetti.

The fact that Ragu is trying to sell its already nauseating sauce via a nauseating sight (catching one’s parents in THE ACT) via a chubby boy who could probabally cut down on his portion size and maybe do an after-school sport…..the whole thing is a gigantic FAIL.

And if you don’t believe me….just listen to the song….and remember they’re selling you spaghetti sauce….http://youtu.be/JWD0wUmO8jk

I nominate this shebang of shite….

• nodaybuttoday says:

I second this one, it’s SO creepy…

• Sarah of Get Cooking says:

Seconded. I just saw this last night and I was completely disgusted.

• Vinron says:

Yes, the Ragu commercial. Disturbing.

Also, noooooooo middle aged people singing Spandau Ballet badly.

If I were the competing brand, I’d market on this –

“After several months of Ragu, little Bobby realizes that mommy has gone Prego.”

30. ovalseven says:

I think these air only locally, but I’d nominate any commercial for Fieger Law. That guy just irritates me. I’d hire him in a heartbeat, but he’s still annoying.

• thomwithanh says:

Look up “The Heavy Hitters” they’re all local law firms but there’s something like 20 of them around the country that all use the same jingle. In Upstate NY, ours is Alexander & Catalano ‘ “The Heavy Hitters are all you need, call 1-800-LAW-1333″

31. nodaybuttoday says:

Creepiest Commercial of the Year: The Geico commercial with the guy literally made of money. That just creeps me out…

I don’t know how to categorize this one but the triskets commercial with the woman who goes into the guy’s office and destroys everything… god that is stupid and makes no sense.

32. Bagels says:

Celebrity Who Could Probably Use A New Manager: Norm MacDonald doing ads for Safe Auto minimum coverage insurance….

33. FirePuff says:

Any and all Dr Pepper TEN commercials. “It’s not for women.” and showing off very /manly/ activities. Apparently sexism sells.

• nodaybuttoday says:

which just seems like poor judgement to me when you consider that most of the time the guy’s mother or wife is grocery shopping for him…

34. Starfury says:

I’ve gotten tired of the Progressive ads with Flo. I’m also sick of the Geico ads with the lizard.

It’s a good thing I don’t actually watch live TV and record most of what I do watch so I can hop past the commercials.

• KnightCrusader says:

I’d rather have the Gecko-based Geico commercials than the ones with the damn cave men.

Seriously, haven’t they beaten that dead horse into a pulp already? You’d think you’d get a clue when you spin it off into a sitcom and the sitcom dies within a few episodes!

• Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

Yeah, have you noticed that the lizard’s voice has changed to a more gutteral accent? It’s to the point you almost can’t understand what he’s saying anymore. Makes it even more annoying.

35. Mouseman says:

For worst commercial ever (probably fits into Most Grating Performance By a Human), I would nominate that totally awful Totino’s Pizza Rolls commercial with the kid who must have a closed head injury — “Mom, we’re dying…” If I was his parent, I’d say “good, about time you moron” instead of directing him to the bag that was in plain sight. But she doesn’t, and what is her reward? The imbecile doesn’t hang up the phone and leaves it in the freezer. Hopefully those were cyanide-flavored pizza rolls.

Creepiest? I second the cars.com second head nomination. What were they thinking? Irritating animated character? The General and his stupid penguin that laughs like Chumley from Laugh-O-Lympics.

36. RobotEmbryo says:

The Zooey Deschanel iPhone commercial. She can’t be bothered look out the window to tell if it’s raining, or to clean, or to have to wear real shoes. Just what this insidious generation needs, a spoiled brat tottering around her home in her pajamas, clueless of the outside world and void of responsibility.

• crispyduck13 says:

Just FYI she is 32, so what generation are you disgusted with?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

To be fair, who DOES want to put on real shoes and go out into the rain? No one. And she asked Siri to put in a reminder for her to clean, which isn’t out of the realm of possibility for most people. I usually have a list of things to do and one of them is usually “clean (insert room here).”

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

To be fair, I do check the weather forecast to determine what to wear for the day.

I don’t care much for Zooey, though. Cute, but overrated.

• Three Foot Roo says:

Ditto, ditto, fucking ditto. I hate it because it shows off all the things Siri can do…except they’re either things Siri can’t actually do, or they’re things you only need if you’re a fucking moron. “Is it raaaaaining?” Why don’t you look out the damn window? “Let’s order soup!” It isn’t capable of ordering the soup for you! You have to do that! “Remind me to clean up!” How can you stay home in your messy house all day long and FORGET to clean it? Please, advertisers, man-children have never been cute and women-children are not any cuter.

• flychinook says:

What I don’t get is that she asks the phone if it’s raining, the phone says it is, then she looks out the window anyways!

37. bobparks says:

The ad I hate most is the FreeCreditReport.com ad.

Bob Parks

38. obtix says:

I’d like to make a category suggestion. Creepiest Vintage Commercial.

I don’t know about the rest of you but my childhood was filled with creepy commercials from the 80′s and into the 90′s. Since Consumerist wasn’t around then I think it’s a way to bring these commercials to light again.

Maybe commercials 20 years and older are game?

39. Mr_Magoo says:

I’m not sure what category this fits into, but the new Applebee’s commercials really irritate me. They have a chef out in the field talking about why this type of tomato has the perfect taste for their new dish, or how he specially selects the herbs, or whatever – essentially the chef is trying to explain the technical aspects of cooking.

Then the announcer comes on and basically says “That’s enough, chef. Our customers are stupid and can’t understand what you’re trying to say. Our food tastes good, so buy it.”

Its condescending, and it makes Applebees sound like they don’t care what’s in their food, as long as it has enough sauce slopped on top to make us fattle think it tastes good.

• crispyduck13 says:

Well in that sense at least they’re being honest.

• Cicadymn says:

Haha Fattle, I’ve never heard that before, but I love it. Definitely going to use it.

• Not Given says:

I’d be happier if Applebees, took my order without me having to hunt someone down, brought me silverware with my meal, actually put avocado on the California Shrimp salad before they brought it to me. 3 Applebees in 3 different towns.

• thatfunkylady says:

Those annoy the hell outta me too! They’re just so rude.

• redskull says:

I suppose somewhere at some point there must be a chef or chef-like person who decides on the ingredients of Applebee’s dishes, but if there is they work in some centralized headquarters facility, and definitely not in any of the local restaurants where the food tastes like it was taken out of the freezer, popped into an industrial microwave and served.

• Smiling says:

I’m not a chef and I could make them a menu that would bring people in in droves. It would overhaul their whole image. These fancy pants chefs who have been cooking for 2-3 years don’t always know what they are talking about. I’ve been cooking for close to 30 and can cook anything and everything.

40. ovalseven says:

Celebrity Who Could Probably Use A New Manager: Dean Winters

Law & Order SVU, OZ, Rescue Me, a few episodes of 30 Rock, and now he’s playing somebody’s dog. Is Mr. Mayhem the best he can do now?

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

I still like Mr Mayhem, although they should keep the variety. I’ve seen the same couple ones over and over, I’m getting tired of it.

• "I Like Potatoes" says:

Playing somebody’s dog? If you’re thinking of Wilfred, that’s not Dean Winters – it’s Jason Gann.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

I was thinking of that Mr Mayhem commercial where he personified a dog oblivious to the burglars around him…

41. graaahh says:

There ought to be a category for “Mascot used past the point of sensibility” with nominees of the Capital One Vikings or Whatever They Are, every Geico mascot (I think they have about 5 or 6 now that fit this category), the Aflac Duck, and a bunch of others.

42. bobhope2112 says:

Most Grating Performance By a Human

This is a team effort by the stupid dad and arrogant daughter in the AT&T Internet where Dad is looking to borrow his daughter’s internet cord, and she informs him that he already has one and it is invisible.

Also a strong finisher in this category, though I have not seen it in awhile, is the little twerp hassling a cable installer during career day at her grade school. “Mom says AT&T [bundles cell phones], so…”

What is it with AT&T obsession with snotty kids?

Given the vapidness of so many of their other commercials, I nominate AT&T for a lifetime achievement award.

• dangermike says:

The one with the fat little girl chiding a couple of other kids in a pool (“no-siree-bob” “who’s bob?”) should be nominated for most grating. I cringe whenever that girl’s voice starts up, even if it’s in another room.

• WhyNotTry says:

I wrongly attributed the AT&T commercial to another cable provider in an earlier post. I cannot stand the career day one. The guy is just trying talk about his job and some bratty little kid decides to harass him. That commercial gets muted at my house and gets a firm vote from me to be nominated.

43. dangermike says:

Creepiest commercial… this one should be a shoe-in: Ragu’s “long day of childhood” spot with the chubby kid that discovers his parents in a … moment of intimacy…

I’ll admit it’s a pretty funny ad, but it played during the the olympics which was awkwardly (family hours, anyone?), and just doesn’t make sense for pitching pasta sauce.

44. PunditGuy says:

Not really a category for this, but nothing bugs me more than the incredibly sexist Walmart campaign where they ask “moms” to bring in their grocery receipts to compare the savings.

45. SilentAgenger says:

I realize this will never happen (because this particular industry is just too big), but here’s my vote for Trend That Needs To Stop:

Cell phone manufacturers and wireless service providers that incessantly promote their product as the current/next big thing…especially if they portray non-users of their product as “losers” in some way.

46. kevslim says:

A couple off the top of my head:

* A commercial for toilet paper (I believe it is Scott), where a husband forgets to place the spare roll of toilet paper in some special decorative box made for toilet paper rolls, and his wife reprimands him about it while speaking to him like he’s a two year old. What’s wrong with just keeping the spare rolls under the sink like the rest of us?

* The Sprint commercial with the stock hipster-ish couple driving around the US while the woman plays a song on her phone that describes their current geographic location. This commercial runs constantly during NASCAR races (fitting since Sprint sponsors it). I don’t know when I’ll be able to listen to “The Heinrich Maneuver” by Interpol ever again. Oh, and where do they end up at the commercial’s conclusion? Brooklyn. Give me a break.

Best commercial? The Snickers ad with Joe Pesci.

• kevslim says:

Another I just remembered:

The minivan commercial with the children singing “Crazy Train” by Ozzy. That’s a solid nominee for Worst Abuse of an Exisiting Song.

• dangermike says:

Strong agree! And what’s with the rainbow coalition group of kids. They look like a Pitt-Jolie birthday party.

• DuckNCover says:

Oh gosh, yes. And it comes out like the generic marching band version heard at high school football games across the country which adds to my dislike for it.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

I think the Brooklyn couple singing phone network commercial is for AT&T, not Sprint.

47. Lethe says:

Is there ever a best commercial contest? If so, I want to nominate the Kia Soul commercials with the hamsters. Especially the first one.

48. dangermike says:

I’m not sure whether it should go in the “group that should go separate ways” category, or “most grating performance by a human” (I’m leaning towards the group one, since it’s a performance by two humans) or even the “creepiest” one (it’s not really creepy nearly so much as just obnoxious) but there’s that “we all bundle” ad that I didn’t know was for vonage until I looked up the video link:

Also, most grating performance by a human could be the chick from the show “Overhaulin.” I can’t find a link to it, but it’s playing incessently on whatever the station is that they air that show (TLC, I think?). Anyway, it has the girl from the show screaming “OH-VER-HAUL-IN” in a hoarse scream that proves she wasn’t chosen for the role for her mellifluous tones.

49. thomwithanh says:

The J.G. Wentworth opera commercials could fit any number of categories:

*Most Grating Performance By a Human
    *Group That Ought To Go Its Separate Ways
    *Trend That Needs To Stop Being A Trend
    *Original Jingle That Should Be Junked

• luxosaucer13 says:

Agreed, and I’d like to nominate an additional category:

*most condescending commercial*

Nomination: the iPhone commercial, where the announcer says, “If you don’t have an iPhone, then you don’t have an iPhone,” at the end.

To be honest, I’m glad I don’t have the iPhone, otherwise known as the Fisher Price: My First Smartphone.

• Rexy does not like the new system says:

ಠ_ಠ

The JG Wentworth ones are the best ones.

• Robofish says:

well shoot, I guess this isn’t the place to ask about my structured settlement and the fact that I need cash now

• Hayati, the wobbly says:

Well, gotta admit, they tried really hard to make a good commercial.
      but it could be better. not the worst, IMO.

50. Cheezeburgerzicanhaz says:

I’m going to have to say all dairy queen commercials everywhere. They are so horrible just please stop. I really REALLY hate it when companies create the scenario in their commercials where their product is the most amazing thing to ever grace the person in the commercial. I think this is a trend that has been around a long time and needs to stop, and although I love my Samsung Galaxy S III it definitely should win creepiest commercial of the year with taglines like, “keeps track of loved ones,” “follows your every move,” and my personal favourite, “waits until you’re asleep”

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Plus, the one where the kids are celebrating their softball victory in a DQ and the bears are at the next table celebrating capturing a ranger always makes me think “Those kids are going to witness the ranger’s innards ripped out all over that DQ, and they’re next, since there’s no place to run in that small space!”

51. dangermike says:

This is a generalization, so I think it should go in the “trend that needs to stop being a trend” but it can also be stuffed into “group that needs to go separate ways”:

Honda ads with the blue shirt guys. I’ve heard them for way to long on the radio, and now they have a series on TV ads. Their comedy is insipid and unfunny. They remind me of the moments between the big setups in an Adam Sandler movie. The punchlines are lazy and projected and the characters just aren’t likable.

However, I will give Honda credit for one of the greatest ads ever with their use of Judas Priests’ Hellion to advertise a minivan (naturally, loaded with a pile of Marshall amps in the back). That one still makes me smile even though it’s been on for a year or two.

52. alexwade says:

Here are my nominees:

Most Grating Performance By a Human – Mitt Romney and Barack Obama (shared prize)
    Trend That Needs To Stop Being A Trend – Negative political ads
    Creepiest Commercial Of The Year – Any commercial that begins with or ends with “I’m [political candidate] and I approved of this message.”

53. dangermike says:

Worst abuse of an existing song: That’s Logistics by UPS, based on “That’s Amore.” Poor old Deano doesn’t deserve that kind of abuse.

54. Tegan says:

Not sure of the category, but those god damned Cottonelle commercials where they’re “naming” the stupid combination of using regular TP and wet wipes make me unreasonably angry. The one with the family and the one with the group at a party who apparently have nothing better to do, both of them are absolutely awful.

• nicoleintrovert says:

That one is a hit in my house, because like most people we have 50,000 names for our dog. One of which is his rap name, “Pee Paws Freshy Fresh” or “Freshy Fresh” for short. So hilarity ensued when the teenager in the commercial named the combination butt wipe “Freshy Fresh”.

55. Murph1908 says:

How about a trend that needs to stop:

-Ads for other shows on the network taking up more and more of the screen. TBS is the WORST at this. Watching The Closer, and 1/3 of the screen was completely taken over (not even a see through) for a different show.

-Logos/ads on the scoreboard line of NFL games, which have started this weekend. Hooray for NBC that didn’t have one on the Colts/Steelers game last night.

56. Rogersda76 says:

For the stupidest commercial category:
    The really dumb, beyond stupid, irritating, annoying Littler Ceasar’s Woo ad.

57. Not Given says:

I don’t actually pay very much attention to the commercials but I remember a pig in an insurance commercial that I think must die in a fire

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

I bet his bacon will be scrumptious. Mmmmmm.

• cybrczch says:

It’s the Geico ad I bet.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

58. Confoosed says:

Most Irritating Animated Actor

My vote: Geico Wee Wee Pig…is sooooooo irritating to me!

59. Jane_Gage says:

i got to catch some daytime TV over the summer, and the MiniMo car insurance talking head bobble was particularly irritating (nestled in endless repeating loops of for-profit trade schools and payday loan places with bad CG). There’s also a car commercial where people have heads growing out of the top of their heads that sing to them. It’s a whole lot of uncanny valley held together by stupid.

60. Bob A Dobalina says:

Creepiest Commercial Of The Year.

We all hate Progressive now so it is time for Creepy Flo to get her comeuppance. Pick any one of her commercials

61. swenerd says:

I hate those awful, creepy Mayflower moving company commercials with the huge creepy puppet girl.

She’s creepy and ugly and what the hell does a huge, creepy, ugly puppet girl have to do with moving???!!!??

62. ericadam says:

That Verizon Wireless commercial with the idiot guys playing basketball. They start rattling off bad ideas like cheap surgery and making their kids hitchhike to school. The characters are just painfully annoying. Especially when you see it 3 times in a row every commercial break while watching MLB.tv.

Norm MacDonald on the Safe Auto commercial. It’s just so…sad.

63. OP_Joshua says:

Commercial most likely to reverse education: The Chuck E. Cheese commercial with the new iteration on their mascot, and the new slogan.

“Funner” is not a word. Stop perpetually bombarding our children with it through their electric babysitter!

• OP_Joshua says:

Looking over the categories, I guess that falls into “Original Jingle that should be junked”.

64. nicoleintrovert says:

One of my commerical pet peeves is when they use the music from popular songs, and do not realize the meaning behind said song is probably not what the company wants associated with their product. My past favorite being Garnier Fructisse using Diamond’s & Guns by The Transplants… a song about heroin junkies. (And wasn’t it Carnival Cruise using Lust For Life?)

I think it may be HP that is currently using Of Monsters & Men’s Little Talks. Do you really want to use a song about a widow talking to her dead husband and wondering if she is crazy?

65. Robofish says:

Can we please do one for Radio as well? I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to nominate that annoying Dr. Pepper flash mob radio ad. It makes me change the channel as soon as I hear it come on.

66. nicoleintrovert says:

Celebrity who could use a new manager – Norm MacDonald for Safe Auto.

67. mentok1982 says:

Trend That Needs To Stop Being A Trend

Commercials where a sentence is comprised of one word clips in quick succession. My least favorite is The Big Bang Theory spots on TBS. THE cut BIG cut BANG cut THEORY cut IS cut NOW cut ON cut T cut B cut S.

• Robofish says:

Just reading that drove me nuts.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

And ads that pop-up and take up half the TV screen. I’m trying to watch a show here and I suddenly see people walking across the screen?

Worse if it pops up on a show that’s subtitled.

68. Green10mm says:

Geico – ALL OF THEM…

69. jreigelman says:

Trend that Needs to Stop Being a Trend: Beer can technology. Really, from the wide mouth, to the vortex neck, to the punch top can…it’s just ridiculous. A beer can is NOT a complicated design and honestly does not need much improvement. And now they’re advertising shotgunning beers (punch top can). What’s next, “the best beer you can funnel through a tube!”?

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

I guess they lost hope in improving the beer, might as well improve on its delivery method. :P

70. DuckNCover says:

Notebooks and jeans, Target.

(for that matter, any of the myriad commercials currently featuring that pixie-voiced lady).
    Also, the Target “Backpacks” commercial. In fact, any of their back to school ads.

71. NotEd says:

Well maybe for the Most Grating Performance By a Human catagoty I would like to nominate the Verizon Mother/Daughter crying at each other commerical.

The dialouge as crying was so annoying they made a second version that toned down the crying, which was painfully apparent when I was catching up on shows recorded on the DVR. Either way it just got on my nerves.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

We simply put it on mute. Too grating even if we lowered the volume.

72. Unbeknownst2U says:

Anything that has PROGRESSIVE and FLO needs to go away forever!!!!

73. theamazingyeah says:

I’m going to get crushed in the comments for this one, but the current slew of campaign ads are KILLING ME! The one with that pathetic woman who says “Mitt Romney just DOESN’T understand WOMEN! He is SOOO out of TOUCH!” This may be true depending on which side of the debate you’re on, but her voice and obnoxious over-acting makes me want to stab her in the face with a soldering iron. And maybe it’s because I live in DC and get swallowed in a glut of these commercials, but the other ad where Romney sings “America the Beautiful” in the least enthusiastic manner possible definitely makes me want to dig out my eardrums.

• randomneko says:

Maybe we can get a political ad category for the election year? I would nominate the Obama is taking the work requirement out of welfare ad. Not because its an outright lie but because its played constantly. Dinner with parents heard it at least once an hour. At home I have to suffer through it nearly every commercial break on Hulu.

74. BorkBorkBork says:

Those super creepy Mio animal commercials. They’re animals…with human faces. Gaaaaah!

75. Auron says:

Trend that needs to stop being a trend: The cause and effect DirecTV commercials

• DarkPsion says:

Those peaked with Charlie Sheen with a crossbow in my living room.

Nowhere to go but down after that one.

• Unknownable says:

Ah You mean the ad hoc argument (aka Faulty Causation)…
      love those, then again I love to pick apart things like that,
      so many types of persuasion and logical fallacies, when it comes to commercials…
      actually, when it comes to just about everything on TV….

76. willobi says:

J B Wentworth–nuff said

77. BeerFox says:

Most Irritating Animated Actor:
    That giant baby in the Hefty trash bag commercial, where they turned the volume on the squishing, lip-smacking, and belching up to 11.

78. bdgbill says:

Any and all commercials for prescription drugs. These are the worst and there is not a bearable one in the whole catagory.

• iesika says:

Seconded. I don’t know how the hell we even allow those on TV.

• dangermike says:

It was all worth it just to be able to hear a serious ad for a pill to make you stop your legs from twitching in your sleep but that has side effects of increased gambling, sexual, and other risky behaviors. I mean, it was enough to inspire one of the two funny moments in the whole run of Mind of Mencia. That says a lot.

• finbar says:

Well, health care didn’t cost enough so they thought the industry should spend more on marketing..

79. VHSer says:

I nominate any commercial for women’s hygiene products. It should be against the law for those kinds of ads to be on tv. You don’t see men go on tv talking about their stinky man parts do you ? Because men know that if they have a “man parts” problem, there’s products for it. So, they go get some of them. Why do women need those commercials ?

• dangermike says:

I couldn’t find it online anywhere, but I wanted to reply with a link to a video SNL Michael Jordan feminine hygiene ad spoof. IIRC it had one of the mid-90′s female cast members dressed up as a teenage girl, walking along a creek with the hoop legend himself when she she something like, “Michael Jordan, do you ever get, you know, that not-so-fresh feeling?”

• Jawaka says:

I guess you’ve never seen any of the millions of erectile dysfunction commercials that they market for men…

• cybrczch says:

“Bob”, creepy grin and naturally enhanced maleness, would disagree with you. Oh wait, you’re right, he doesn’t talk about it. Just the announcer does. In full blown innuendo.

80. HungryHippo says:

Annoying Progressive and T-Mobile spokesgirl. When I was shopping for car insurance and a new cell provider I skipped these companies based on their annoying commercial spokesgirls. Everytime their commercial comes on I change it. Free Credit Report.com and LUNA home flooring are also on the list of annoying commercials.

81. DZ says:

Magic Jack…sometimes 3 in a row for the various places that sell them.

82. triana says:

This was nominated last year for the worst original jingle, and it somehow lost, but it’s still airing: the Education Connection song! I want to put my head in an oven each time I hear it. HOW THE HELL DID IT NOT WIN?

83. We Have a Piper Down says:

I nominate the Kit Kat Bar commercials for creepiest. I do NOT like eating noises and the whole damned thing is a cacophony of biting and chewing and I hate everyone and everything associated with it.

• dangermike says:

Enter text…

• dangermike says:

I wish I knew what caused that immediate “Enter text” response. or rather, I wish someone at consumerist knew what causes it and would fix it (hint, hint).

Anyway, before I was interrupted, I was going to say I agree. Those kit kat ads are atrocious. Fit them into any category that can work. I’ve noticed the newer ones tend to be less enharmonic (and consequently less horrible to my musical ear) but they’re still bad and deserving of a nomination.

Also, I’ll throw out there for worst abuse of an existing song the am/pm ad with the guys playing beethoven’s 5th on the soda fountain. It bothers me in the same subconscious way as sped up film and wire-fu special effects do. I just can’t stomach it. (link: http://youtu.be/-Uw99YrzTw8 )

• triana says:

Yes! I have to mute those damn commercials every time.

• arkangel says:

Agreed! I’ve stopped buying Kit Kats because of that ad.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Yes, and between the chewing, the guttural “mmm” noises make me want to punch my TV

84. crimenyjickets says:

THIS is a VERY irritating commercial….yeah, leave that phone right in the freezer, you dummies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Vx8AlLQOQ

85. Three Foot Roo says:

Most Grating Performance By a Human: The women on the Shoe Dazzle.com commercial, talking about their footwear in what they clearly think are sexy voices but just make them sound like they belong to a sorority for people with IQs under 60. “If I’ve got two minutes, I’ve got shooooe heeeeeaven.” “We’re going to be very…very…happy together. /stroke heels” “Some people collect boyfriends. Me? /leers at a shoe” (Who the hell “collects” boyfriends, anyway? Get a better class of friends, lady!) For some reason I see this monstrosity twice per commercial break no matter what I watch.

Trend That Needs To Stop Being A Trend: Relatedly, anything that uses a “sexy” voiceover to talk about something that isn’t sexy. I don’t want to hear some woman’s throaty purr describing shoes, tomato sauce, chocolate, jewelry, or a cell phone. I feel grossed out whenever I want to buy some boring everyday thing and someone on TV is talking about it like a sex toy.

Special Nomination: Bratty Kid You’d Like to Slap: That damn Angel Soft commercial, where the mom’s like, “Honey, can you bring me a roll of Angel Soft?” and the kid unrolls it over the entire house. That kid looks about five years old, that is way too old to be unrolling toilet paper everywhere! My two-year-old nephew doesn’t even do that anymore! And instead of saying “Quit making a mess and wasting paper,” like every mom on earth, the mom’s just like, “Oh, haha, that’s so clever!” Jesus, I hate bratty kids in commercials.

• flychinook says:

I saw a “bratty kid” commercial much worse than that a few days ago. Bratty kid whining throughout an entire shopping trip with his mom, screaming about wanting a snack (loud enough to attract the attention of employees and other shoppers). So what does mom do? She buys the kid fruit roll-ups! When did this kind of behavior become not only ok, but encouraged??

• Unknownable says:

Yep! Seen that one!
        I would say that commercial is a nice example of why today’s kids
        are such brats and have no respect nor politeness!
        / stops before ranting even more.

• DuckNCover says:

It would have been great as an ad for Duck Tape.

86. fieldy920 says:

NOBODY remembers the Kohl’s Black Friday Ad???

That obnoxious lady singing an even worse version of an already horrible song all the while acting like the biggest self-centered bitch on the planet?

87. OP_Joshua says:

Most Education-Reversing Commercial Directed at Children (or Original Jingle / Slogan That Should Be Junket): The all-new, all-different Chuck E. Cheese commercial featuring a song which advertises this travesty as “FUNNER”, which is not a word, yet is perpetually blasted towards children whose parents have left the TV to educate them.

88. Venus Blue says:

Celebrity who needs a better manager: Jamie Lee Curtis

89. MarkFL says:

Since someone mentioned prescription drug ads, I came up with my own, which I expect will actually air the near future:

Hangnails are among the most overlooked afflictions today…except to those who suffer from them. But now there’s Placebo, a new treatment that can help reduce the agony and humiliation of hangnails. Side effects of Placebo include itching, insomnia, narcolepsy, vomiting, diarrhea, leprosy, death, and mild coughing. Some users reported intermittent blindness, impotence, thoughts of suicide, and demonic possession. A small percentage of male users had their genitalia fall off after a lengthy priapism. Women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant should not come within 300 feet of Placebo or anyone who has used this drug within the past six months due to a risk of birth defects including missing limbs, growth of horns, or the development of a beaver-like tail. Placebo is a horrible drug that should never have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration, and some physicians and members of the clergy have publicly stated they believe it is an instrument of Satan. Still, some users have experienced as much as a 12 percent decrease in hangnails after using Placebo. Let your doctor know if you suffer from diabetes or auto-immune disease. This has nothing to do with Placebo, but he will probably want to know. Ask your doctor if Placebo is right for you, because once you start using it, hangnails will be furthest thing from your mind.

This, of course, will be immediately followed by this ad:

ATTENTION PLACEBO USERS! If you or a loved one was prescribed Placebo and experienced side effects including itching, insomnia, narcolepsy, vomiting, diarrhea, leprosy, death, mild coughing, blindness, impotence, demonic possession, priapism, loss of genitalia, or birth defects, you may be eligible for monetary compensation. Placebo is a horrible drug that should never have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration and is believed by some physicians and members of the clergy to be an instrument of Satan. Contact the law offices of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe for a free consultation!

• flychinook says:

At least hangnails actually cause discomfort. There’s a prescription medication I’ve seen advertised… to help cure “inadequate eyelashes”. I wish I was kidding here. IIRC, one of the possible side effects is partial blindness.

• Unknownable says:

I know which one you are talking about…
        It’s called (looks it up)…
        “Latisse”
        I guess it’s for those that don’t like fake eyelashes.

• KTrenholm says:

I remember reading somewhere that Latisse was some other drug that they noticed had thicker eyelashes as a side effect. So they just decided to start marketing it up.

I could be thinking of something else though.

• DuckNCover says:

No, you’re correct. But I can’t recall what it was initially prescribed for.
            Another side effect, by the way, change in eye color. Creepy.

• MarkFL says:

I remember that…they used to have Brooke Shields doing their ads.

90. DarkPsion says:

Makes me feel old category: Any Cable commercial that trashes DSL.

When I first went online, DSL was the ultimate in speed. Now people are ashamed to share their initials with it.

• Kisses4Katie says:

O.o Makes YOU feel old. I had slow as dirt dial up in like, 94. It made this terrible noise while it signed on for over 5 minutes.

91. snobum says:

Most Grating Performance By a Human: Southern Comfort

92. fancy pants says:

Repeating commercials – the same company’s commercial played twice in the same short time segment. Why companies think this will help their brand is beyond me.

Repeated commercials:

Empire carpet: worst jingle ever

Ask.com’s asinine spots with stupid people asking stupid questions.

Cheerios commercial – most cloyingly annoying jingle ever:
    “The One And Only Cheerios”. I’m boycotting Cheerios until they stop playing this jingle.

PS: I hate Flo, those disgusting Gieco pigs + commercials with snoring people.

93. Unknownable says:

For the
    “Worst Abuse Of An Existing Song” Category I nominate
    The Bing Commercial with Parov Stelar’s “Jimmy’s Gang”
    (Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHwYwO140ik&feature=plcp)
    A close second:
    Bacardi’s Commercial using Parov Stelar’s “Chambermaid Swing ”
    (Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTRkFMrNjTk)

HOW DARE YOU! Microsoft ruining good music for your search engine NO ONE cares about or uses!

• some.nerd says:

FWIW I use bing to get free Xbox Live points… Must’ve amassed close to $15 over the past few (and by “few” I mean “9″) months.

94. speaky2k says:

I have to nominate the Martin Scorsese iPhone Ad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH4OfUmrbWY&feature=player_embedded
    Last night while watching Fox, I saw it no less than 10 times in 4 hours. So I have to nominate this for:
    Trend That Needs To Stop Being A Trend: The Siri Interface
    Most Grating Performance By a Human or Celebrity Who Could Probably Use A New Manager: Martin Scorsese… He should stick to being a producer & writer

95. Rodney Fan says:

So many choices!

Most Grating Performance By a Human
    Winners (a tie): All the people yelling about all those JC Penney ads, before JCP went “one-price” and especially because JCP’s subsequent sales figures indicate most of their customers rather liked the incessant sales. Second: The yahoo who thinks “we’re saving the world” by driving a Ford truck that gets a whopping 28 mpg.

Group That Ought To Go Its Separate Ways
    The J. G. Wentworth gang. Get thee to a Wentworth office, stop yelling out the window, and get offa my lawn.

Trend That Needs To Stop Being A Trend
    Mike Rowe. Period.

Most Irritating Animated Actor
    Maxwell, the little piggie that goes “whee”. All.the.way.home.

Worst Abuse Of An Existing Song
    The BMW Olympic-related ad that uses “Dancing With Myself”. Maybe it relates to the self-absorption of so many BMW owners?

Original Jingle That Should Be Junked
    The one running under the showroom Chevy ads. It’s not catchy and you can’t hear the lyrics; so why bother?

Celebrity Who Could Probably Use A New Manager
    +1 on Jamie Lee Curtis

Creepiest Commercial Of The Year
    The DQ kids celebrating their win next to the Bad News Bears. Maybe I need to watch more TV, but I haven’t seen many of the others nominated. Oh, wait. Maybe I don’t.

96. Unknownable says:

I would like to nominate EVERY COMMERCIAL!
    In all seriousness, I want all those ads for lawyers, loan companies, and debt relief gone!
    You know the worst ones of those the Lawsuit ones for prescription drugs!
    I mean c’mon if only the idiots read the information about the drug you would know it can cause problems, EVEN DEATH!

97. arkangel says:

Trend that needs to stop being a trend: The making random items into spokesthings trend. Such as:

The talking omelet PAM commercial:

The talking sponge Dawn hand renewal commercial

The talking Tostitos bag

The PAM one really freaks me out. o_o

98. Cream Of Meat says:

All of them. I hate commercials.

99. Kisses4Katie says:

I know it’s not a TV ad so it doesn’t count, but anyone else who lives in central Florida here that 411 Pain commercial on the radio? “all day all night” we had to look up what the woman was saying cause it sounded like the Muppets. Ridiculous.

I must think of an ad that annoyed the shit out of me this year.

• Kisses4Katie says:

I’ve got it. It’s the Priceline commercial with the stupid pet psychic woman or whoever she is, the jersey psychic. I HATE the medley she sings.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

You mean where she has the feather and sings “It’s the Priceline negotiator”? If so, that’s hardly a medley.

• Unknownable says:

I’ve seen that one,
          makes me wonder, since she’s trying to portray herself a “legitimate”
          medium, why she was willing (or asked) to do that commercial!
          After all that commercial pretty much mocks “mediums and psychics”…
          Which reminds me those commercials for the “California Psychics Hotline” or what ever it’s called ought to go away. I highly doubt that it’s run be “legitimate” psychics/mediums/whatever, they are basically scamming people to believe what they are told is real. People it’s called cold reading and research!
          What really gets me is that it’s perfectly legal as they have in small print the disclaimer “for entertainment only”!

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Same here. But I apply it to all the 1-800-411-PAIN adds. Even the auto-tuned Jay-Z-fied version of it.

It gives me pain.

100. SilentAgenger says:

Most Irritating Animated Actor: That freakin’ umbrella in the pharmaceutical ad with the eyes that migrate from one end of it to the other depending on which end is up…’drives me crazy for some reason (aside from the eyes, it’s probably because I don’t think “cutesy” animated characters should be used for peddling Rx drugs).

101. impatientgirl says:

The one for a consumer survey service where the commercial starts out looking like a commercial for giant arm sleeve things to hang out of your car window.

102. Knyte says:

Trend That Needs To Stop Being A Trend: Every commercial and movie trailer that uses Dubstep for it’s music!

Creepiest Commercial Of The Year: The “Just For Men” baby with the goatee who goes clubbing. It’s really creepy, especially since he had a full grown woman as his date!

103. some.nerd says:

Any commercial that DISPLAYS EVERY WORD ON THE SCREEN AS IT’S BEING SAID BY THE NARRATOR…
    Yes, I’m looking specifically at you, FORD.

104. nevermore says:

Worst Abuse Of An Existing Song: The Nissan summer sale jingle sung to the tune of “Summer Lovin’” from Grease. I want to shoot myself when this one comes on (usually about 35 times in the course of a single baseball game).

Group That Ought To Go Its Separate Ways: The FreeCreditScore.com band. We got rid of them once and then they came back…at the demand of exactly no one.

Trend That Needs To Stop Being A Trend: Slacker adult-children. Examples: the hipster adults who move back in with their “anti-social” parents, the sombrero-wearing, video game playing slacker who eats nothing but KFC, and the stoners in every Digiorno commercial.

• sugarxo says:

I hate that nissan commercial more than anything I have ever hated, and hate is a strong word. I hate it so much, I automatically MUTE my television every time commercials come on. Ive even gone so far as to not watch channels that play it all the time.

105. some.nerd says:

Also, Most Grating Performance By a Human: Coupon Suzy needs to take her classically midwestern hairstyle out of my nightly Jeopardy!

• DuckNCover says:

I agree wholeheartedly. Also in the subject of coupons is one with two young boys searching Coupons.com for savings on their favorite “mac and cheese.” The littler of the two is very annoying. Then the mother comes to ask if they want more mac and cheese and they both say yes but their bowls still have plenty left in them.

106. some.nerd says:

Finally, why does the General hang out with a penguin? Why is a penguin wearing sunglasses? How can a penguin play baseball with no fingers? IT JUST MAKES NO SENSE!
    And that awful jingle… ugh.

107. topgun says:

CREEPIEST COMMERCIAL: Cars.com The creepy inner person like the guy who’s inner person looks like an extra hand coming out of his back, or the woman with the extra head in her hair. She’s creepy on her own.

MOST IRRITATING ANIMATED ACTOR:Maxwell the Geico Pig. Bacon anyone?

ORIGINAL JINGLE: JG Wentworth. I probably hate it because when I hear it it stays in my head. (Although from an advertising perspective I guess that’s what they want).

MOST GRATING PERFORMANCE BY A HUMAN. Anything with Norm McDonald. This includes his entire body of work. I would also include “The most interesting man in the world” from Dos Equis. It may be a personal thing though with me because every commercial sounds like my former boss describing his lazy ass son the first 20 minutes of every day I worked with him.

TREND THAT NEEDS TO STOP BEING A TREND: Negative campaign commercials.

108. Invader Zim says:

How about a “obnoxious volume” catagory for comercials that blair, or a “played until you want to puke” selection?

109. wombats lives in [redacted] says:

The overly dramatic sobbing Verizon commercial with the mom sending her daughter off to college.

• DuckNCover says:

The one with the subtitles so you can figure out what they’re whining about?

THIS.

Mother: “Whmmmssufuufhsmmuuufufffufuushhhfuuu?”
      Daughter: “ShfmmmfrrufuuuullflfshhhhoooffsssuuuuSkype!”

[my imaginary] Verizon Guy: “Aaaahh GO AWAY!”

110. woolygator says:

The blue tax man.

• Unknownable says:

That’s another commercial I find just creepy,
      his laugh reminds me of a demented Pillsbury dough boy…

111. woolygator says:

taxmasters.

112. ovalseven says:

Trend That Needs to Stop: Spanish-language TV ads airing on English channels.

ABC played a Spanish Ford commercial during the NBA Finals.

Spanish ads are airing on ESPN as well.

• sugarxo says:

AMEN TO THAT!!! Also spanish ads for technical colleges. Do they go to school in spanish too? What the he%%!

113. George says:

Worst abuse of an existing song: The Nissan remake of that song from Grease.

Creepiest commercial of the year: The anti drunk driving one where the cops are camouflaged into the background and open their eyes when the drunks drive by.

114. ZPrime says:

The stupid Geico squealing pig needs to die, that’s probably an “irritating animated actor”.

A local car dealership has decided to whole-sale rip off that advert and use it for their own dealership (Kia of Bedford) – I don’t know why anyone sane would want to associate themselves with something that generates rage.

Worst Abuse of an Existing Song – lately, the Nissan *AND* Twizzler commercials that are using different covers of “Holiday Road.” That song belongs to the Grizwolds, dammit. I’m also sick of hearing it.

115. gatorburgerz says:

nearly all car commercials bother the bejesus outta me, however my nominee for CREEPIEST of the year goes to chevrolet. there is more than one ad so far in the series (using the same doucheb*g characters) but the most frequent offender features two or three car showroom salesman who seem to have an odd sort of commeraderie going on between them. there’s a dude mentioning to a potential woman customer something about “potayto potahto” and she corrects him saying “it’s tomayto tomahto”. the salesman looking on gives him a thumbs up and makes a stoopid face (cringe-worthy). i wish i knew why i find it so offensive…. WORST ABUSE OF EXISTING SONG goes to target (all the back-to-school genre are awful) for the hideous singing by the eacher doing thomas dolby’s “she blinded me with science”. i can’t understand a single word of it.

116. hangemhi says:

Ok, creepy commercials. Anyone see the commercials for Cenegenics? Not sure if its a drug or supplement but it features these old guys with the bodies of 20yr old body builders! U see these washboard abs and great arms, yumm! Then bam! Wrinkles! Grey Hair! Balding and…Granpa Glasses! Oh, nooo sooo wrong!! My eyes! My eyes! And then the lady in the Cars.com commercial– unless you are actually advertising a horror movie, your product should not make the viewer cringe and feel like they are watching The Ring. Oh, and just for sh*t n giggles, lets all band together and kill the T-Mobile girl all for the good of society….so annoying.

117. PrimaDonna says:

The “sounds of pertussis” commercial is about the worst one ever… I cannot stand the sound of the crying hacking gagging baby. I will mute and or change the channel the second I see it come on.

118. Chris 66 says:

MOST IRRITATING ANIMATED ACTOR:Maxwell the Geico Pig. Weird.
    NEEDS A NEW MANAGER: Jamie Lee Curtis
    IRRITATING JINGLE: “It’s a pet, it’s a pillow, it’s a pillow pet!” Pillow Pet commercials
    TREND that needs to STOP: Using the success of Pillow Pets to produce items like them and encourage grandparents to buy them: flopping eared slippers, stuffed animals sewn onto blankets, and Pillow Pets with lights stuffed in them.

119. Vegetius says:

Creepiest Commercial Nomination: the one for Cinnamon Toast Crunch, with the cereal bits licking and slobbering over each other. This goes beyond annoying and into actively repulsive.

120. ttsxii says:

With all the bad publicity and repetition of commercials, I would have to say Progressive.

121. CentralCaliGrrrl says:

Totino’s Pizza Rolls Freezer Commercial!

Not only is this kid so stupid he can’t see the food right in front of his face, he then leaves his cell phone in the freezer. I hate this commercial!

122. fleef says:

Are those lawsuit ads for “vaginal mesh failure” on nationwide?? Disgusting! I’m a woman- I’v never heard of this “”product” it is so repulsive and graphic that I walked away from the screen thinking to myself “although I’m not a man.. if I were.. it’s enough to turn me gay..”

• Press1forDialTone says:

Does your comment mean you have no feeling at all for the women who have had to have this product used medically on them and then had a personal and medical disaster occur? Your comment sounds pretty cold. And by the way you can’t “turn someone gay”. You are gay or lesbian before you even come into this world.

• mudd says:

Just a friendly fyi…..people do not get “turned” gay. With as much prejudice and misunderstanding as there is regarding homosexuality right now, (yes) this is important to point out.

123. quieterhue says:

All of those Bounce Sheet vs. Bar commercials are insufferable. One example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuIN7l7sp1k (there are newer ones that I can’t find clips for)

I nominate Bounce for the “Trend That Needs To Stop Being A Trend” category. And the trend is: Making people look like complete morons so their product can solve a problem that doesn’t exist. Seriously, it is not cool to imply that busy moms become so forgetful that they can barely function.

124. quieterhue says:

Oh and I nominate this Prius ad for Creepiest Commercial of the Year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YHY0gGkXkQ

I get the willies every time I see it.

• Press1forDialTone says:

A Prius ran over a friend of mine’s foot after put on the emergency brake by itself.
      It broke he ankle in 2 places and she just finished a skin graft. It is a creepy car.
      Buy a Volt. It doesn’t try to kill you.

125. TBGBoodler says:

Cottonelle Care Routine. https://www.cottonelle.com/

126. LindaJoy says:

I hate to nominiate another poo-related commercial after last year’s win, but…the Cottenelle Care Routine commercial is the worst! In addition to trying to convince us that we now need to use multiple products after using the toilet, they think they will engage us by holding a contest to name this new rear-cleansing suite of products. I thought the Cottenelle commercial about “respecting the roll” was bad, but they have outdone themselves with this clunker. https://www.cottonelle.com/

127. frenchymcwaffler says:

Possibly need a most offensive to target demographic audience category. I nominate this Klondike bar ad that seems to have enraged many women as being offensive and sexist. Don’t women like ice cream? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxC9-PJfyKo

128. Yngwie says:

The Skittles Walrus commercial is pretty creepy.

129. Elysium says:

I Nominated

Penelope Cruz Super Mario commercial …No girl “giggles” that way while playing video games..

130. Malicious says:

Any commercials involving the no touch hand soap pumps. The germaphobia trend needs to stop. I personally have never touched a ‘dirty soap dispenser’ after washing my hands. When I touch it, my hands are usually a mess, so it doesn’t really matter if it’s dirty already. I wash my hands, dry them, and do not touch the pump again. Companies are just feeding this crap to scared, helicopter parents and they’re making a killing off of it.

131. Undine says:

The Nissan “Summer Savin’ Days” Commercial for WAIA in the category “Worst Abuse of an Existing Song”. The nostalgiabuse of hearing “Summer Lovin’” OVER AND OVER AND OVER makes me not only never want to BUY a Nissan, but never SEE one, and maybe not care enough to pee on one if I saw it on fire.

• Coelacanth says:

Agreed. I came here just to nominate that ad as well. Nissan would better hope that I never remember that stupid thing when it comes time for me to buy a new car.

132. D2theMcV says:

Worst–The Little Ceasar’s “WOO!” commercial. Also, most grating performance by a human (or 3).
    Most Irritating Animated Actor–the E-trade baby.
    Worst Abuse of an Existing Song–NBC Olympics ad using The Clash’s “London Calling.” Did they even bother reading the lyrics?

133. sethinstereo says:

Most Grating Performance By a Human: For me, this hands down is awarded to the guy who does the Charter “International Date Line” commercials. He has quite a body of work to support this:

Charter commercials are horrible in general, but this guy made me consider physical violence against my TV, as they are shown ad nauseum to current Charter customers.

134. dragoncat42 says:

I’m not sure what category these would fall under but….

the DirecTV ‘when you pay too much for cable’ ads. OMG those are just stupid *and* irritating!

135. Imryc says:

I would like to nominate the recent Ragu Long Day of Childhood Commercial which shows a young boy opening his parents bedroom door early in the morning without knocking and seeing what his parents do for fun.

I would also like to nominate it for Creepiest Commercial Of The Year.

136. garyt says:

FLO for Progressive for Most Grating

NAPA Know HOW for worst song

137. arkangel says:

Another trend that needs to stop being a trend: parents stealing from their kids.

The GEICO goldfish ad

Kraft Mac & Cheese ad

KFC original recipe bites ad

138. Snip says:

Most Grating Performance By a Human: that guy who does the taste test ads for GEICO.

Group That Ought To Go Its Separate Ways: I was not thrilled to see the original Free Credit Report Score dot com band back together. At least the replacement band had been easy to ignore.

Trend That Needs To Stop Being A Trend: The parents being jerks to their kids in ads. Like the McDonalds ad where the teenage driver gets his license and takes the fam to the drive thru to celebrate, only to be denied the pleasure of eating with them because he has to focus on his driving. Jerks.

Most Irritating Animated Actor: The Steak and Shake talking hat ads have been re-aired a few times. They weren’t that cute the first time.

Worst Abuse Of An Existing Song: Nissan Summer Savings abusing the hell out of the Grease soundtrack.

Original Jingle That Should Be Junked: The 1-800-411-PAIN jingles, ready to inspire eardrum sporking in both rap and country versions.

Celebrity Who Could Probably Use A New Manager: Shannen Doherty for doing those Education Connect commercials.

Creepiest Commercial Of The Year: The Feed the Pig ads. That anthropomorphic piggy bank, complete with slot in the forehead and wearing a pink leisure suit, stepped right out of the uncanny valley and into my nightmares.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

AMEN!!! I was waiting for someone to mention the 1-800-411-PAIN ads!!! Whoever thought that was cool and hip is just delusional.

I’d rather listen to 1-800-ASK-GARY (lesser of the two evils).

139. Silverrain says:

Most Grating Performance by a Human nomination: the NFL Network “Serious Fun” guy. It’s not that the ad is so bad; it’s just another spokesdork trying to convey information in a “cool” manner. What elevates him to a contender here is the frequency with which we have to SEE said spokesdork. Maybe it’s just my TV-watching schedule, but that ad seems to pop up on nearly every commercial break, and frequently twice within the same break. I probably would sign up for NFL Network if it would make him go away!

140. Narockstar says:

Purina Dog Chow “Strong and Healthy”

This ad is both unintentionally hilarious and terrifying. The actor playing the father is the worst. The “Don’t grow up without me” dead-eyed stare. And finally commanding the dog to “keep them safe” over the phone is just creepy.

141. legotech says:

The Subway commercials where grownups sound like kids…even KIDS don’t sound like that!

The Commercials for the Hopper where everyone in the South Boston household has to say “The Hoppa” like a million times

The Direct TV when you wait for cable ads…

142. NotEd says:

I absolutely despise the Blue Tax commericals:

I especially hate their spokesgremlin Max and how he attempts to headbutt the viewer through the screen at the end of the ad.

143. oops says:

I hate any and all of the commercials from Progressive insurance co.
    That ding-bat woman would give Edith Bunker a run for her money.

• Press1forDialTone says:

Well, that actress is making out like a bandit on residuals
      from those “ding-bat” commercials. And I would rather be around
      the Flo character than a bunch of regular people I’ve come across.
      Those commercials are entertaining and she has nailed the character
      but the insurance sucks.