Lying To Customer About A Winning £1M Lottery Ticket To Claim Winnings Himself Earns Man Deportation In UK

What is this world coming to if you can’t trust a shop worker to tell you the truth about your lottery ticket? A 78-year-old British woman brought her EuroMillions ticket to the shop where she had purchased it, and asked the employee to scan it for her to find out if she’d won big. She had, but instead of giving her the good news, cops say he straight up lied and said it was a dud.

In reality, the lottery terminal alerted the employee that he should contact the ticket’s owner, as it was worth £1 million. When she heard it was a dud, she and her husband told the man to just throw it out for her. He pocketed it in an attempt to claim the winnings.

He ended up losing out on a lot more than getting some free money, however: As he attempted to cash it in, lottery officials became suspicious when he couldn’t answer questions about the winning ticket. The man’s visa just so happened to be expired and he’ll be deported to Pakistan as a result of the scheme. He pleaded guilty to one charge of fraud by false representation committed, reports Sky News and was convicted to 30 months in prison.

Lottery officials tracked down the real winners by using video footage from the store, as well as the husband’s supermarket loyalty card. They’re pleased as punch to find out they’re new millionaires.

They issued a statement on the case, reading: “We can now look forward to enjoying our lottery win and spending some time with our family and friends. We understand the defendant has written a letter to us and we look forward to reading this.”

Shop Worker Jailed For Claiming £1m Jackpot [Sky News]

Comments

1. frank64 says:

Great job by the lottery officials, and good to see a scammer get some negative consequences.

2. Jane_Gage says:

The fact that only people 80 years old and those who build a NASCAR water fountain in their backyard win the lottery is proof that God hates you and wants you to be miserable.

• edrooney says:

Gods hatred of me also includes the people that win the lottery who are on welfare and continue to collect. btw, liked the fountain line

• MathMan aka Random Talker says:

We only hear about the NASCAR fountain and those continuing to collect welfare. My 5-year Plan includes being one of those winners you don’t hear about. Heh. Best 5-year Plan… ever.

• NotEd says:

Do a lot of people in the UK have a NASCAR water fountain in their backyard? I would think something rugby or cricket related might be more appropriate.
      Still your implication that only 80+ year old seniors win in the UK, barring some NASCAR loving ex-pat living in Nottingham upon Glascow n’ixt Twuthford. Seems to me that’s quite a story there. Maybe that’ll be on Consumerist tomorrow, ‘ey what?

• edrooney says:

Is it wrong of me to have read that in a high pitched British accent and still not have understood all the words while giving his intelligence the benefit of the doubt because it seemed proper? Is this why the 24 in one vacuum/iron/chopper/frialater pitched by the British guy intrigues me?

• Jane_Gage says:

People win the lotto in the U.S. too.

• cbutler says:

As funny as that is (the old people winning all the time is most definitely true) I find that the average lotto winner is from the North East.

3. AtlantaCPA says:

Seems like the register should make a noise or show something on the screen to tell you and not rely on the clerk to tell you. I don’t think it should be a siren going off either, but some kind of signal from the machine that the customer can interpret would be nice. I thought we had that on this side of the pond already?

• Marlin says:

Here in VA they do. Makes a noise and the screen says congrats you won…

I was checking out at the desk and someone “won” $20 and you think they won a hundred million.

• Stahi says:

I know some machines in VA & MD play a little “We’re in the money” tune when a card/ticket is a winner.

• Kitamura says:

Don’t know about where you live, but we had a big lottery scandal a while back where something similar occurred. Now stores have self scanning stations so that you can check your own ticket without having to hand it over to anyone.

• Tim says:

A lot of states do that for that very reason. Makes it much harder to lie and hide the ticket.

• FluteAphrael says:

No thank you. Honestly, a person should be able to check the numbers and have a good idea whether or not the ticket won. I do not want people standing around me to know I won anything. Particularly if it’s over $100. I don’t need to be mugged for the ticket, or hounded by strangers when I turn it in. I am lucky enough to live in a state that does not require me to publish my name. I do not need flashing lights telling everyone I won something. At least when this happens in a casino I can get a floor guard to take me and my winnings to the cashier and have it transferred to me in a safe manner (cheque or bank transfer.)

• frank64 says:

Yes, all states should allow for anonymity. I live in MA and they don’t. They are doing their customers a severe disservice, maybe meaning someone needs to move out of state where they might have been more likely to stay.

• Aliciaz777 says:

All states should have the option for winners to remain anonymous. If someone wins big and is forced to reveal their name, along come the strangers hounding them, the charities hounding them, the estranged relatives hounding them, etc. People have no shame anymore and the greedy people looking for handouts swamp winners.

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

Here in Ontario, something rather similar happened many years ago, whereby an elderly man had a retailer (in a small town I may add) check his ticket and was told he won $5. Really, he won $200,005. The retailer then took the ticket and cashed it in–but the Lottery Corp got wise once an investigation prompted by the media took place. Hence now, a retailer can’t check the ticket unless the person asking signs the ticket. The terminals here also make sounds whether the ticket won or lost–they used to only if you’ve won–and have display screens that are supposed to be pointed at the customer showing exactly what/if they’ve won. There are also self-checking machines in every retailer location so you can scan your own ticket to see if/what you’ve won.

• Jay911 says:

Western Canada Lottery Corp machines actually shout “Woo-hoo!”. I kid you not. (That’s for the kind of winnings I seem to get, <$100 .. not sure if it extends to the grand poobah prizes.)

Better yet, they all have a peripheral barcode reader that you can use yourself to check your own tickets.

• elangomatt says:

I know that every place I’ve seen in Illinois has a self scanning station where you cash in tickets to prevent this very thing from happening. Places without the self scanner should definitely have some kind of audible alarm at the very least to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

4. YouDidWhatNow? says:

I just wonder how hard it is to make up answers to any such questions…I mean, how much is there that they can ask? A lottery ticket purchase is pretty GD anonymous.

Lottery official: Where did you purchase this ticket?
    Guy: At my store.
    Lottery official: OK

…instead…
    Lottery official: Where did you purchase this ticket?
    Guy: Um, well, I uh, it was this guy, right? With a goat. NO! An emu. And he was selling lottery tickets…at the, uh, monster truck rally. In London. By that tower with the big clock in it.
    Lottery official: …you sure about that?
    Guy: OH GOD DON’T DEPORT ME!

• El_Fez says:

Unless it goes down like this:

Lottery official: “Where did you purchase this ticket?”
      Guy: “At my store.”
      Lottery official: *checks computer* “Judging by the purchase record, I take it then that you shop regularly in Venezuela?”

• Marlin says:

I bet he said his store but it was not from there then got caught.

Better to say I bought several so not sure where from.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

“A 78-year-old British woman brought her EuroMillions ticket to the shop where she had purchased it”

• DuckNCover says:

I was wondering exactly what questions they would ask. I’m not sure about over there but most here in the US have quick pick so you couldn’t ask the numbers that were played. When I get a QP, I never know the numbers until I go to check them.

5. Cerne says:

This was depressingly common in Ontario for a while. We mysteriously had lots of lotto retailers win prizes. The whole thing was kept under the rug by the OLG (gaming commission) for years.

Now they’ve changed the system so you can scan you’re own tickets and no matter who scans it the terminal gives off a loud verbal answer.

6. backinpgh says:

They had a 20/20 or Dateline special about this a while back…they baited several shop owners with winning tickets and they had them on camera saying “Oh no, it’s not a winner!” then submitting the ticket as their own. Chris Hansen did his infamous on-camera takedown, To Catch A Predator-style.

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

• sebastian tombs says:

Shows like this are great reality TV – may make people think twice before committing fraud or scamming people. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to work for pedophiles. They don’t seem to learn..

7. yankinwaoz says:

I rarely ever play lotto. When when I do, I demand it back, even if it is a looser. Just for this reason.

8. Abradax says:

Dear sir/madam.

Congratulations on your win. As you know I have now been deported to Pakistan. I need help moving vast sums of money from the UK to my new native land. If you provide me your bank account information, I can have my money transferred into your account. From there, you can wire me the funds, minus a 3 million pound transaction fee that is yours to keep.

9. MarkFL says:

Did nobody else notice that the actual winner was identified in part because of the loyalty card? We talked about those a while back. We didn’t sell Lotto tickets, but sometimes we found the owners of keys and credit cards and wallets by looking up their cards in the computer.

10. Aliciaz777 says:

Enjoy Pakistan you POS thief.

11. sebastian tombs says:

Farrakh Nizzar – i hope you enjoy Pakistan for the rest of your life after UK prison. Just think how good you had it in the UK – Karma is a bitch