Which Strange Home Remedies Do You Swear By?

I spent the better part of a day last week attempting to keep chicken soup and ginger ale down as my system fought off some mysterious one-day bug. I’d thought about mentioning my illness to my friends on Facebook (I don’t have kids, so what else am I going to post about?) but didn’t want to be inundated with hundreds of tips on sure-fire home-brewed remedies.

The folks at CBS 2 in Chicago took a look at a variety of DIY cures and treatments for a wide range of ailments, like rubbing Crisco on an eczema flare-up, using duct tape to trick your body into fighting off warts, or eating dry sugar to short circuit your hiccups.

They also mention this 2011 Prevention article that looks at other MacGyver-ish remedies, including yogurt for fighting off bad breath, lemon balm tea for treating cold sores, and sucking on a lemon to relieve motion sickness.

We’re guessing there are many, many more home remedies out there and we’d love to hear about them from y’all. So feel free to share your favorites in the comments. And we’d definitely want to hear if you tried a home remedy that had unintended consequences.

Comments

1. SerenityDan says:

It’s not really that big of a secret but when I get a migraine I drink a small glass of soda or coffee. (I guess this would only help if you don’t drink caffeine non stop all day anyway)

• Captain Spock says:

I use 5 hour energy or a regular energy drink. Since I never drink coffee or other caffiene, it works perfect.

• chefboyardee says:

I buy 5150 juice (pure liquid caffeine) swished in my mouth (tastes horrible) or Foosh mints under the tongue. Caffeine absorbs faster sublingually than through the lining of the stomach, and I’ve found these help me about 20 minutes faster than drinks.

2. spqrxxi says:

Here is one. If your stomach feels very queasy, take a glass of Ferney Branca. The result will be either a cure, or immediate throwing up (and then cure), within 3 minutes.

• Stella says:

I like Ginger Altoids (anything with ginger actually–but Altoids are nice and convenient) for a queasy tummy.

3. StatusfriedCrustomer says:

I’ve noticed that lip balm is also good for small patches of dry skin/psoriasis.

• lyontaymer30 says:

Yeah, it works, surprised people don’t do that more.

• Bunnies Attack! says:

Yea but aren’t some of those dry skin issues caused by fungus or bacteria? IE dandruff can get transferred to other oily parts of your face by touch (happened to my brother), are you sure you want to risk transferring that to your lips?

• Applekid says:

I have a dedicated stick for body versus lips

It really seems to help with my CPAP nose redness.

4. justin.patchett says:

I definitely used the sugar-for-hiccups one last night after a long laughing bout over re-reading excerpts from “The Evil Overlord List” and “Things Mr. Welch Can No Longer Do in an RPG.”

For me, cold symptoms go up against me and a jug of orange juice. In part, it’s the vitamin content, and it part, it compensates for the fact that I don’t drink enough liquid, anyway.

5. HPCommando says:

Horseradish and diabetes. Found an Old West medical text detaling it as a “blood cooler” in the times before insulin injections, and have found that it can lower my blood sugar upwards of 30 points. The level of effect is more the fresher the horseradish is and the less “tainted” (prepped and made to cream, mixed with mayo, etc.). Grade 1 or 2 wasabi also seems to work, but not Grade 3.

I’ve given the info to family and friends who have mixed results (again, dependnig on whether its real horseradish or fake or mixed). My doctor is interested, but cautions me not to mess around too much with my treatments. Still, I’ve reduced the level of medication needed to keep my levels down.

• NotEd says:

Are you type 1 or type 2?
      As a type 1 diabetic I’ve never noticed horseradish, nor wasabi affecting my blood glucose, but I never was looking for a connection either.

6. umbriago says:

I used to use the sugar-for-hiccups cure until I discovered that taking a deep breath and swallowing always clears it up for me.

To stay cool outside in hot weather, take an ice cube and put it on the inside of your wrist. “Cools the blood,” my grandmother used to say. Probably more a placebo.

Also, weed cures pretty much anything; my grandma didn’t tell me that one though.

• Chuft-Captain says:

Yeah, hiccups are easy to fix, you just have to force your lungs and diaphraghm back into sync. Breathing very, very deeply (until it almost hurts) to force the diaphraghm down, holding it for several seconds, then breathing out slowly, followed by several steady, slow deep breaths works like a charm. If necessary, repeat the first portion 2-3 times before moving on.

• iesika says:

I find this works best if I don’t close my throat while I’m holding my breath, thereby forcing me to hold my diaphragm in that position. I usually hiccup one time now, then can stop them.

7. HPCommando says:

Another is one my mother gave me…mustard for cramps. If you get a leg cramp that won’t stop readily, smear a dab of regular yellow mustard (about one of the condiment squeezers worth) on the web of the hand opposite the cramp (the web is the skin between thumb and index finger on the outside). Then do it like salt for tequila and lick it off. Cramp will usually clear up in a few seconds. Right hand for left leg, left hand for right leg.

8. Sulheka says:

As kids, my father would give us a giant spoonful of peanut butter for hiccups. It worked every time.

9. RandomHookup says:

Based on the accompanying photo, I am dying to know which home remedy requires M&Ms.

10. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Ginger capsules for nausea. Worked like a charm (thanks Mom!).

• Coleoptera Girl says:

Yep! I get motion sick fairly easily and ginger pills have definitely worked for me. Sometimes I’ll eat ginger-laden food if I know I’ll be at risk for becoming nauseous. I haven’t tried candied ginger, but I have some so I’ll try it next time.

• CheritaChen says:

Yes, I had dismissed this suggestion as bunk for years before finally trying them myself. Ginger candy may help, too, but since I’d already taken the capsules before I tried the candy, I can’t be sure. The caps definitely work for me.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Mythbusters tested ginger as a help for motion sickness. They found that it actually works. It’s supposed to help with morning sickness too; they have those Preggie Pops lollypops made with ginger.

11. El_Cheapocabra says:

IcyHot/menthol rub for sinus headaches. Rub a little on the temples/forehead. If nothing else, it’ll drain your sinuses.

• Coleoptera Girl says:

Spicy food works on the same vein. I whip up some ramen and toss all sorts of spice in it when I have a sinus headache and it solves the problem most of the time.

• ChuckECheese says:

Menthol rub will also cure nail fungus. Takes months, but it works. Smear it on every day and night, wear sox.

12. Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

Put vinegar on one of those circular little bandaids and stick it over a wart. It takes about 10 days, but if you keep adding vinegar to the bandaid then I’ve been able to just wiggle it a bit and pull it right out (The bottom is V shaped). Done this twice and it worked both times. Just be aware that the skin around the wart may get irritated, so try and limit the cotton part of the bandaid to just being the size of the wart. I’ve heard this works on skin tags (aka wobbly moles) too.

13. AjariBonten says:

OK; here’s a bizarre one; but I SWEAR by it …… Hangover cure: drink the juice from the pickle jar.

14. bravejango says:

***I would not advise doing this***

I have a co-worker that eats poison ivy to build up a resistance to the plant. HINT: It doesn’t work and can cause a severe allergic reaction that causes your stomach lining to weaken and rupture.

• exit322 says:

I’m not an expert or anything, but wouldn’t “avoiding poison ivy” work for this one?

• chizu says:

My friend inhaled poison ivy once — it was not a pretty scene. And since the particles are stuck to the walls of her lungs (as she was told), from that point on, every time she gets a reaction, it’d get worse and worse and worse. Her friend’s uncle told her she could take poison ivy essence? drops? oil? (apparently they sell this stuff?) and add one or two drops into a glass of water and drink it everyday to help lessen the effect. You’re basically trying to build up an immunity to it. With the particles in her lungs — they are there to stay forever. The side effect of that you’d feel like you’re tripping on LSD. I don’t think she ever did it but that’s what I was told.

Lesson learned: do not burn your brushes, there’s likely poison ivy tangled up in there and you do not want to breathe that stuff in.

• GitEmSteveDaveHatesChange says:

The irritant in poison ivy is an oil. I’m guessing she was exposed to the smoke of someone burning poison ivy. However, just like inhaling pepper spray, unless it is some inorganic material that can not be broken down, your body will naturally eliminate most things like that.

Also, having it permanently in her lungs would tend to make you think it would LESSEN your reaction, as your body would become used to the irritant,

• chizu says:

Yeah, she got it through breathing in the smoke of someone burning their brushes. I wasn’t sure how the stuff would never leave her body — the story was explained to me by her and that’s what I got out of it. But she really looked horrible, her whole face was so swollen that I didn’t recognise her.

• iamkat says:

That happened to my sister years and years ago. We were burning off a pasture. But after she got over the initial horrible reaction, her reaction to poison ivy wasn’t any different or worse. But maybe it’s different for different people, who knows.

• elangomatt says:

I experienced the poison ivy reaction getting worse and worse thing. One time I must have gotten poison ivy on my hands and didn’t know it and then I rubbed my eyes. My reaction to that time was horrible since my whole face swelled up and I could barely see since it was all around my eyes. At the worst of my allergy, I could pretty much catch poison ivy by walking within a couple feet of it. I don’t know whether I’ve outgrown the poison ivy allergy or not though since I haven’t done any of the camping like I used to back then.

15. dangermike says:

Bacon grease is an excellent hair conditioner. Just cool it down a bit first.

16. wombats lives in [redacted] says:

The tears of a gypsy.

17. dangermike says:

Caught some ringworm? Wipe the affected area with bleach-soaked q-tip every 1-2 days (water it down 50/50 if you’re a pansy). Rubbing alcohol can also *sometimes* work, but will have be applied every 6-12 hours for a several days where the bleach will seldom take more than 2-3 applications to finish it off.

18. mstrmike says:

Since someone else broached the off-instruction OTC product use, Vick’s Vaporub is great for soothing and reducing Hemorhoids. Don’t know who tried it first, but it works. Also know folks who swear by it for nail fungus.

19. dangermike says:

The regular 3% hydrogen peroxide in the brown bottles at the pharmacy is one of the best mouthwashes you’ll ever find. But it should be diluted 50% with water or mouthwash. (actually, if that mouthwash is listerine, within 3-4 days of daily usage, your teeth will feel hygienist-smooth and any trace of halitosis and gingivitis will be gone.

• erinpac says:

Ick. I’ve tried that before. As soon as it hits the roof of my mouth I throw up (and no, it’s not due to swallowing any). It’s not a horrible taste… but it tastes like something is just *wrong* with it.

• dangermike says:

yes, the h202 diluted with water doesn’t taste very good. But with a prepared commercial mouthwash instead, it’s not very objectionable. In fact, with the blue/green listerine I usually use, there’s so much menthol and whatever else that within a few seconds, none of the tastes matter much anyway. =D

• dolemite says:

I actually use this. Not all the time, because I’m sure you are killing some beneficial microbes along with the bad ones, but several times I week I rinse with it. I probably do more like a 1 to 3 ratio with water being the 3, but it works the same.

20. Tegan says:

Chewing an antacid (either Tums or Pepto) as a cure for hiccups was something my fiance introduced me to, and it’s worked every time for me. I always have Tums close at hand, but I don’t have peanut butter or sugar unless I’m at home.

21. dangermike says:

Warts… I’ve never found any OTC treatment to be fully effective. The freeze-at-home stuff is particularly lame. It just doesn’t get cold enough to do what it needs to do (frankly, I’m surprised it’s even allowed to be on the market. Even if the FDA gave it a greenlight, there should be class action lawsuits for the false claims they make in the advertisements.) I’ve hyeard duct tape can kill a wart, though I’ve never tried it. Wheat I do is get the ubiquitous salicilic acid gel from the pharmacy, apply it a few times daily until a nice callous build up, *carefully* peel away the callous, then pull on the exposed wart tissue (this can be painful) until it detaches. It will usually leave a bit of a hole, into which I’ll put more of the gel (this will be painful). It is very seldom that this requires more than one go-around. The trick is to remove as much of the “core” as possible.

• UberGeek says:

Twice now, I’ve resorted to a similar method. Once the wart got tall enough to grab with needle-nose pliers, RIIIIIIP. They left the same “bit of a hole” as you described. Bled like a sieve and hurt like sin, but it was over and done with. Of course, both of them were relatively small, narrow, and not of the planters wart type.

• ChuckECheese says:

About 3 months ago, I did the duct tape thing to a wart on my finger. And it worked. The glue creates some sort of immune reaction in the wart, because the wart just started dying after a couple days. I removed the tape every day or 2. It only took a week.

• dolemite says:

I’ve had tiny, barely visible warts on and off throughout life. I was wart-free for like 20 years, but I noticed I had one teeny tiny one on the side of my pinky finger. I figured I would take care of that sucker, so started using OTC acid. Well, big mistake. I don’t know if it was hibernating or what, but that one went to about 15 small ones on both hands over a few months. I’m always paranoid because they can spread at any time to someone else (well, if you use the same towels, etc). One treatment that worked several times was dabbing some apple cider vinegar with a small piece of cotton or cloth (just something to soak it up and hold it, and enough just to cover the wart). Cover this with duct tape. As far as treatment goes, this is basically going “hardcore” on them. The wart (and deep tissue) basically turns black in 1-2 days. Usually it will blister up. Then after a week or so, the dead tissue falls off. There are 2 drawbacks to this: #1. It hurts like hell. That ACV burns and throbs like crazy (the bigger the wart, the more pain). #2. I find it only works on larger warts. The itty biddy ones seem too similar to your skin for this to work.

• ChuckECheese says:

Curiously, in my treatment, which was duct tape without the apple cider vinegar, I also experienced some inflammation and pain before the wart died. But it took several days longer than your program.

22. superflippy says:

Hiccup cure: Put a pinch of sugar and a dash of bitters on top of a slice of lime. Put the lime on your tongue and shut your mouth. Works every time!

23. dangermike says:

Stress at work, dating doldrums, or just plain boredom? Now that one’s easy. Whiskey. And/or beer.

24. quieterhue says:

This isn’t going to sound that strange, but whenever my back is bothering me, I find that a heating pad cures the back pain better than any medication. Couple of hours applying heat fixes me right up.

Years ago, I was attending a natural products tradeshow and I was introduced to purified beeswax as a treatment for all manner of skin conditions from minor skin lesions to getting rid of acne. I personally tested the product on some minor cuts and on sunburns and I found it to be quite effective. I understand it has some antibacterial properties (as does honey) and it’s very effective for moisturizing the skin.

I also like drinking coffee after a large meal to help with digestion. The caffine is a natural diaretic, but it is a lot more gentle than the over-the-counter stuff. I find that a cup of coffee can help stave off indigestion and bloating.

• Coleoptera Girl says:

*diuretic
      It makes you pee(not poop, as you seem to be implying). It’s acidic, though, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it did help, especially if you drink it black.

• ChuckECheese says:

Coffee is bitter and stimulates bile production, and gets the intestines moving. So yeah it would help you digest your dinner.

25. Mr_Magoo says:

There was a home remedy cure for morning sickness that was in the news last week, but I’m not going to mention it here.

26. Kathlene says:

A paste of meat tenderizer and water applied to mosquito bites. As it dries, it sucks the protein out (or something) and results in no more itch. I’ve only used Adolf’s brand.

27. finbar says:

Nettle Tea with Honey is our faimly’s old cold remedy. Hippy herbalists will usually have some.

• webweazel says:

Try this for colds/flu: Very large mug of very hot, strong regular tea. Add honey until the sweetness desired. Add drops of lemon juice until the lemon and honey just balance out. Add a tablespoon or two of whiskey or until the flavors blend and no flavor stands out above another.
      Kick back on the sickie-bed and inhale the steam through your nose while slowly sipping the tea. After the upcoming nap, your sinuses will be much clearer and the throat a lot less sore.

28. JediZombie says:

Hiccups + Gulp of Pickle Juice = No More Hiccups

29. PurplePenquin says:

“A bong in the morning and a bong at night, makes everything feel all right!”

–Me

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

A number of years ago I had a toothache at night and couldn’t get to a dentist until morning. To alleviate the pain I smoked one of them funny cigarettes and boyoboy lemme tell you! Every pulse of tooth pain was divided into 100 separate and distinct stabs of pain – and every one of those 100 stabs of pain was divided into 100 more distinct stabs of pain – and every one… well, you get the idea. I never did that again. At least not as a pain killer.

30. chizu says:

1.) Ear wax for cold sores on the lips. I personally have dry ear wax so I’m not entirely sure if it really works or not. But apparently ear wax contains certain amino acid (?) that helps getting rid of the cold sores.

2.) Boil slices of ginger in water, the longer the better, add only rock sugar or pieces of brown/yellow sugar (can be found in Asian grocery stores) to sweeten it (if you like it sweet). Helps when you’re feeling ill (like a cold) or just having a bad stomachache.

3.) Add salt to coke or sarsaparilla and drink the salty concoction for curing sore throat. (Personally, I like it slightly salty — in HK they have a salty lemon coke drink, sometimes it can be served hot, for when you’re feeling sick/queasy/sore throat. It’s pretty delicious.)

31. AtlantaCPA says:

Honey is a very effective cough remedy. I think a study showed it was almost as effective as cough syrup.

• giax says:

Honey is also great for burns (after you’ve cooled the burned skin of course); the skin heals faster and the burn is less painful.

My friend loves tea bags (a towel soaked in cheap tea bags, then rinsing all affected skin) for sun burns. I haven’t tried that yet since I rarely get a sunburn.

• wombats lives in [redacted] says:

I like to mix it with some pepper, just try to make sure you coat the pepper and if you can get a fine grind.

• Mr. Spy says:

I used to have crippling allergies for 6 months out of the year. I started putting local honey into my coffee (for about 2 years now) and they have shrunk down to a mild annoyance.
      Could be imaginary, but I say it works.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

That makes sense, actually. You may be desensitizing yourself to the pollen that is triggering your allergies. If you were allergic to something else, it might not work.

Anyway, honey is delicious so it’s a win-win. :)

• iesika says:

Supposedly you can boost this benefit by getting honey that has pollen mixed in – something you’d probably have to source locally. I don’t actually know how well that works. I’ve tried the honey+pollen combo, though, and it tastes…pretty much like honey.

• mokie says:

Honey pulled from the hive has local pollen in it, and that pollen helps desensitize you. That’s also why storebought honey is useless for allergies: most of our honey comes from China and has been pasteurized and microfiltered so no pollen remains in the end product. (In part to disguise the country of origin–it’s a whole big controversy.)

So look specifically for locally produced honey, because many local outfits just strain out the bee parts and pour it in a jar.

• Saltpork says:

Your immune system is dealing with extremely low amounts of allergy attack over time. This will eventually get your immune system to stop treating it as a threat or adapt to it.

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

I like pouring chilled white vinegar on minor burns (no cuts, etc) it numbs the pain immediately.

• LuzioFantazmic says:

Honey makes a great topical antibiotic as well. Even works great for pink eye.

32. Overman says:

Two years ago I tore my hamstring trying to water ski.
    By day three the pain was crippling and a large bruise developed from my
    ankle to my ass.
    I asked the tubes for a cure to reduce bruising and found Rasputin’s recipe.
    Hyssop, parsley, plantain, and comfrey.
    Made a mush out of what I found in my backyard and applied it to the bruise.
    48 hours later the bruise was gone.
    I’ve never been much for hippy cures, but damn, they had to stab Rasputin like 30 times,
    so he must have been doing something right.

33. sock says:

My mom and grandma used to apply stuff they called “Elsworth’s Salve” onto infected cuts or hangnails. It was an amber-colored block that had to be melted onto the cut, drop by drop, using a lit match. It smelled of pine and herbs. That stuff worked like magic. My mom and grandma are both gone, and with it the source for this stuff. I suspect it was an old pioneer remedy.

34. krom says:

Vitamin C megadosage at the first sign of possible flu or cold. No oxidant left standing, baby.

35. ecuador says:

For diarrhea: get a spoon full of ground coffee, squeeze a lemon on top of it and swallow the “muddy” result. Has helped me twice!

36. lancedriftwood says:

two tablespoons of Cream of Tartar in a glass of lemonade for lung congestion. Better than Musinex.

37. iamkat says:

If you face tends to get really oily, milk of magnesia works wonders! In the morning, just wet a cotton ball or make-up sponge, dip it in the MoM and rub it on your face. Some people rinse it off after a few minutes, some don’t. I never do. It’ll make your face feel tight at first, but it’ll keep the oil at bay all day, even under make-up. The added benefit for me is that even if I don’t use it, my face gets less oily now, and it also gets rid of any acne I occasionally still get.

38. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

I rub an aluminum chlorohydrate-based antipersperant stick on bee and wasp stings to stop the pain – was told to do this by my family Dr and it works.

39. Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

Hangover- stay drunk

40. Lt. Coke says:

Have a mosquito bite and don’t have access to an ointment? If you do have access to hot water, that’ll do. Wait until it’s as close to lava as possible, then hold the bitten area under the water as long as you can – make a game out of it. Itching never comes back, even after the AAH MY ARM IS BURNING feeling fades away.

• alexwade says:

For mosquito bites, I rub the bite with cool tap water for a little bit. The itching always stops soon after that.

• dangermike says:

For bug bites, windex. It stings at first but the ammonia denatures the irritants causing the itch.

• suezahn says:

Or just take thumbnail and press a deep “X” over the bite. No topical burn necessary.

• iesika says:

This is the best treatment for a stingray sting. In a pinch, you can get the hot water that drains from an outboard motor and use that!

• alamochica says:

For mosquito bites, I use facial astringent or hard liquor on a cotton ball, then dab the bite. The itch goes away in seconds and the sting goes away soon too :-)

41. bben says:

Gin soaked raisins for Arthritis. don’t know why it works – but after a dose – who cares?

The recipe actually calls for soaking golden raisins (not the black ones) for at least 10 days in gin (cheap gin works as well as expensive) Then eating EXACTLY 10 raisins every day. I take a teaspoon full, that’s probably close enough. Two years ago I had to get a cortisone shot to reduce arthritic induced swelling in my neck causing my right arm to go numb. The Dr told me I would need one to 3 of these $1600 shots several times a year from then on – I started taking the gin&raisins not long after that – And haven’t had another shot yet. It’s empirical evidence and the Dr. turns up his nose. But it’s cheaper than those cortisone shots.

• Roe says:

I know someone who could use something like that, but they’re an ex-alcoholic (or whatever the correct term is these days). I suppose the gin doesn’t evaporate? I’d really like to know because they could sure use a remedy that really works.

• iesika says:

I don’t think you know what empirical “evidence” means, because that sounds pretty anecdotal to me. Did you do a double blind study, or what?

42. trixare4kids says:

I know this sound gross, but it works – and it’s worked for everyone I’ve ever made try it: Next time you are nauseous, try a few sips of pickle juice. It really does calm down the stomach. This was a trick my great grandmother taught me. It’s probably just the vinegar, I’m guessing, but I find it easier to down a bit of pickle juice.

43. fleef says:

Vics Vapo-Rub in the ears for earaches. It works- really. Put a lil swab of it in the canal, earache gone in minutes. It’s a must have for parents taking babies on airplanes, I believe the screaming is caused by ear pain from the pressure. I get earaches when it’s windy and on flights, Vicks cures them. Try it some time. No, don’t work for any company that benefits them nor own stock.

44. Roe says:

A cook at my middle school back in the 70’s taught me to use vanilla extract on burns. I’ve since found that pure vanilla works best. I soak a cotton ball with it and hold it on the burn (or soak a bandaid). I don’t feel pain whatsoever, and even a pretty bad burn doesn’t blister.

• ChuckECheese says:

I would imagine all the sniffing of your wounds distracts you from the pain, and the licking helps it heal much as with dogs.

• AtlantaCPA says:

Vanilla extract is about 30-40% alcohol, which evaporates quickly. That’s why it always feel cool when you put it on your skin. A burn will continue to damage tissue for about 15 minutes after you touch the hot item, so cooling it off is key. Usually one uses cool tap water but I could see alcohol working too.

My advice though is to not use the expensive vanilla and just use rubbing alcohol.

45. Rhinoguy says:

Baking soda or washing soda also works. Anything basic to neutralize the acid burn.

• Rhinoguy says:

This was supposed to be a reply to beestings…Did I mention that the new software does silly things?

46. Libertas1 says:

My friend’s dad introduced me to using standard white vinegar to help with various body pains.

Take some white vinegar and put it in a bowl with an equal amount of water. Heat it in the microwave as hot as you can stand it, and soak a towel in it. Apply it to where you are hurting.

Definitely helped me out pre-ACL surgery.

47. theamazingyeah says:

I’m not usually much for this kind of hokum but my wife swears by it. I’m sick right now with the flu and I was too late for Tamiflu. I have the upper scratchy and lower stabby sore throat, tons of congestion, and that irritating aching fever. So she comes out with this cure that he grandmother and aunts in England swear by – equal parts apple cider vinegar, warm water, lemon juice, ground cayenne, honey, and black pepper. Sore throat GONE. Considering several of the ingredients I could have sworn it was going to get worse. Also, I’m not entirely convinced that my throat feels better or if my mouth and stomach just burn from the combination of ingredients, but this is definitely the lesser of two evils.

• mokie says:

As I understand it: the pepper thins out the mucus, the citrus ‘strips’ the thinned mucus from the throat, and the honey soothes the now less mucus-y throat.

You can try lemon or lime juice with honey, sans vinegar/pepper, for similar results with less belly feedback.

• iesika says:

Throw in ginger to clear up congestion and settle your stomach. Rather tastier than the pepper combo.

• elangomatt says:

Yeah I just do hot water with honey and lemon juice and that really helps. I can’t imagine adding pepper and/or vinegar in there though. I’ve been know to drink the honey lemon water when not sick just because I like the taste.

48. Kisses4Katie says:

Half a lemon w/a can of coke poured over it relieved morning sickness for me every time.

49. donovanr says:

Metamucil for stomach bugs.

50. Syntania says:

A list of my favorite home remedies:

Moistened tobacco for insect stings and ringworm – Takes the pain out of the sting and heals both quickly (I don’t know but it works, my grandpa swore by it)
    Honey and lemon juice in hot tea for colds and sore throats
    A wet tea bag on a cold sore – Keeps it moistened so it doesn’t dry and crack and the tannin in the tea helps heal it quicker
    Vinegar on a sunburn (or any burn) – the acid takes the heat out of the burn quickly
    Long grain rice in a tube sock – Stick it in the microwave for a minute and it makes a wonderful heating pad that’s form-fitting, and it smells tasty too!
    Mint gum for stomach upsets and aiding in digestion of food – Mint is a natural tummy calmer, and the chewing action helps you make saliva, which helps digest foods.
    Baking soda in water – Nasty, but fixes heartburn quickly

• LaurelHS says:

“Mint is a natural tummy calmer.” Yes. I drink peppermint tea when I need to settle my stomach and it works very well. Also, iced peppermint tea is very refreshing on a hot day.

• Mamudoon says:

Put me down as another one who swears by peppermint for nausea. I’ve been given every pharmaceutical anti-emetic known to man – including stuff they give to chemo patients. The peppermint works better than any of them. If you don’t care for tea, you can get peppermint oil capsules at health food stores.

51. rgf207 says:

I take Zinc and Vitamin C when i feel a cold coming on. I don’t even keep cold remedies in the house because those do the trick for me

52. Bob A Dobalina says:

Smear *menthol* shaving cream on a sunburn and let it dry. it takes the pain right out

53. deadbirds says:

White vinegar for severe sunburns, just put some in the cool bath or sponge it on skin directly. Smells horrid but works wonders!

54. bobosims says:

To head off a cold/flu, I got this suggestion from a manager at our local grocery store: get a cup of warm chicken or beef broth, add a heaping tablespoon (more won’t hurt) of minced garlic (buy it in the jar, less muss/fuss than buying by teh clove and mincing it yourself), mix well, chug. If there’s garlic left in the bottom, re-stir with a tiny bit more broth and drink that too… It’s a German remedy that’s been passed down in his wife’s family and he swears by it.

No idea why it works, but there you go.

55. Mbenson says:

If you have itchy red eyes, soak a chamomile tea bag in cool water and apply on your eyes for about 15- 30 minutes. It helps alleviate your eyes and chamomile is a natural astringent.

Gargling with hot salt water helps a sore throat also doing nasal rinses with the hot salt water will help nasal congestion.

Ginger is good for menstrual cramps. Hot ginger tea as well as staying away from cold foods or beverages helps during that time of the month