The Airport Baggage Carousel Is Not A Good Napping Spot

When you’re sleepy and/or drunk enough, any large flat surface can seem like a pretty nice place to take a nap. In an airport, though, there are some places that you should avoid. Like the raised platform with the conveyor belt on it that says “BAGGAGE CLAIM” above it. Comfy as it may seem, this is not an optimal napping spot. Because it might start moving after you’ve fallen asleep. And take you under an X ray machine. That’s what happened to a Norwegian tourist at Rome’s Fiumicino airport, who took a nap and went for an exciting ride.

He had been drinking, and there was no agent to check him in when he arrived for his flight to Oslo. Why not take a nap, then? Snoozing, he did laps around the carousel for fifteen minutes, traveling back into areas that were supposed to be secure, until someone noticed the form of a human curled up in the fetal position on the monitors.

Officials took him to a hospital in order to check for immediate damage from the suitcase-level exposure to X rays.

Norwegian tourist falls asleep on airport baggage belt [Telegraph]

Comments

1. Celticlady says:

You know how some people (ok, me) tie weird ribbons on their luggage to make it easy to find?

So I had to wonder if someone did that for him?

2. Blueskylaw says:

Rip broke through a back window (his home key wouldn’t open the bank door), thought it was his home and fell asleep on the floor. He lives about 9 miles down the road from me, which in the “country” is only 2 left turns.

• who? says:

Back when Robert Downey Jr. was still making a mess of his life, the CEO of my brother’s company found him asleep in his 9 year old son’s bed. Apparently, Downey lived down the street from the CEO, and managed to wander into the CEO’s house drunk one afternoon thinking it was his own house.

3. The Upright Man mk2 says:

He should have just climbs up onto the flat part at the top of the carousel.

4. StarKillerX says:

What exactly is a “large flat service?”

Is that anything like a large flat surface?

5. dolemite says:

“Were these brain cells killed from the alcohol or the X-Rays?”
    “I think they have been dead long before that.”

• mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

Excess alcohol consumption = brain/liver damage.
      Excess X-Ray exposure = brain/liver tumors.

Doc to patient: The good news is that your latest bender didn’t cause any net cell loss. The bad news, however, is that the healthy cells you killed off were replaced by cancerous cells.

6. hoi-polloi says:

I’ve spent the night in the airport, and I can’t say I had any problem finding a non-moving place to lie down. The guy on the riding floor buffer made sleeping somewhat difficult, but at least I wasn’t being bombarded with x-rays.

7. scoosdad says:

I was going to ask what the heck was up with incoming baggage being claimed going through an x-ray machine as Laura’s story seems to be saying (“with the conveyor belt on it that says “BAGGAGE CLAIM” above it”), but then after reading the source article it was the belt behind the ticket counter for outbound baggage which the drunk fell asleep on.

8. nodaybuttoday says:

It says he “leapt across the counter and fell into a deep asleep on the baggage belt with his bag beside him.” So from what I could tell it was not a carousel, it was actually the belt that is attached to the check-in area.