Taco Bell Employee Suspended Over Prank Because Nachos Con Urine Is Not On The Menu

Critics might decry the oversharing nature of social media, but if it weren’t for Twitter and Facebook, how would we catch people doing idiotic and grody things they shouldn’t be doing? A Taco Bell employee in Indiana has found himself in hot water for posting a picture on Twitter that appears to be him peeing on a plate of nachos at the restaurant. Classy.

Viewers of NewsChannel 15 alerted the station to a disturbing photo of what looks like someone peeing on nachos, which was posted on a Taco Bell employee’s Twitter account. He then allegedly asked his followers what he should pee on next. He’s subsequently been suspended from his job, even though he claims it was all a big mistake, a joke gone wrong.

He defended himself on his Facebook page, writing:

“I poked a hole in the top of a water bottle and filled it with really watered down mountain dew. I took the bottle and the nacho bell to the back utility sink and squeezed the bottle on to the nacho bell, making it look like I was [urinating] on it. My manager was aware that it was not urine and it is all a joke.”

Joke or not, the department of health, the police and the Taco Bell overlords are taking it quite seriously.

Said Taco Bell in a statement:

Nothing is more important than the safety of our customers and team members. We have strict food handling procedures and zero tolerance for any violations. As soon as we learned of the situation, we immediately investigated and found the photo was an ill-conceived prank and the food was never served to customers. We find this prank absolutely unacceptable, and we plan to terminate anyone involved and work with authorities to pursue legal action.

The health department says whatever was put on those nachos, they probably weren’t sold to a customer. It hasn’t been confirmed whether or not the yellow-ish liquid was indeed, human urine. If it was and the nachos really did end up getting served, the man could be in some pretty big trouble, especially if it caused harm to a customer.

On the other hand, if it’s found that Mountain Dew was really involved and no one ate the nachos, he’ll be off the hook from the cops, at least. Taco Bell might not be so forgiving in regard to what the company calls “defaming actions” toward it.

Employee suspended after “Urine in Nachos” prank

*Thanks for the heads up, James!

Employee suspended after “Urine in Nachos” prank [WANE.com]

Comments

1. Coffee says:

Judging from the angle of the stream, that’s almost certainly not urine…unless there’s been a plumber working on his junk.

• BrownLeopard says:

Or he’s just really hung and bending it….or really, really crooked.

• Bagels says:

what about the times when it comes out in 2 separate streams, like 90 degrees apart.

• Coffee says:

I guess maybe if he twisted his torso waaaay to the right, then aimed his wiener left? Seems like a high level of difficulty, especially considering the stream.

• 85% Real 15% Filler says:

Doesn’t that only happen after sex (or after frapping into a burrito)?

• Blueskylaw says:

Due to todays economy, I believe that many plumbers are working at Taco Bell.

• TrustAvidity says:

Also, I don’t know about anyone else but it doesn’t look natural to me for it to spray as much towards the end. (Let inevitable jokes ensue.)

2. Olivia Neutron-Bomb says:

Try our new Golden Nachos(tm)!

• dolemite says:

This is just a viral video for their new Mt. Dew ™ nachos. “Goes great with our Doritos ™ Tacos!” “Also, try our new nacho-flavored Mt. Dew and taco-flavored Doritos” (and one of those is a real thing.)

• do-it-myself says:

Actually there WERE Mt. Dew flavored Doritos! It was call the “Quest” back in 2008. I think.

3. Danno23 says:

Social media + underpaid teenagers = PR nightmares.

I really feel sorry for PR departments in companies today. Teenage employees always did stupid things while on the clock, but the ability for it to spread across the world in a matter of minutes is the stuff of nightmares.

• Coffee says:

Agreed…maybe I’m soft-hearted in my dodderage, but, assuming this is nothing more than Mountain Dew, I feel kind of sorry for the employee…he’s not behaving any differently than many teenagers in his position, but social media makes this kind of mistake a costly one.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Yes, but he has to learn sometime not to act stupid at work. Better now, when he’s just in charge of nachos.

• Golfer Bob says:

Sometimes they get to be in charge of more than nachos and still never learn that lesson.

• Blueskylaw says:

Bank of America’s executive recruiting department
            is now knocking at his door with an employment offer.

• luxosaucer13 says:

LMAO, it’s not too far a stretch from pissing on nachos to pissing on a customer. That’s right up BofA’s alley.

“They don’t like the new debit card fee?!? Well just piss on them, then!”

• Danno23 says:

True, but we were all stupid once. Back in the Good Old Days, though, it was handled locally with generally a stern talking to (and a lesson learned). Nowadays it gets visibility all the way up to corporate and they have to Take It Seriously (TM) ,causing a black mark on his record for doing something dumb, but essentially harmless.

I did dumber things in my youth.

• Press1forDialTone says:

Hi Coffee, don’t forget to feed the troll! :-)

• StarKillerX says:

Oh people will always do stupid shit, but posting it for the world is a whole new level of stupidity!

Consider this, if you owned Taco Bell would you want someone working for you whose judgement was so poor that they thought posting this video on the internet was a good idea?

• Danno23 says:

I don’t disagree. What he did was immature and very stupid, and I wasn’t defending his actions. The point I was trying to make was that social media has thrown a whole new dimension to youthful stupidity that we haven’t had to deal with before.

Young people doing stupid things is not new. What is new is the fact that this stupidity can circle the globe for all to see in a matter of minutes, even before the perpetrator can rethink his actions and decide that it was a really stupid thing to do after all. And once he does, there is no way to undo it. The Internet is forever. Science has shown that we don’t really develop good judgement until around 25, when the prefrontal cortex develops fully. Again, I am not excusing his actions, but the damage that can be done by a poor judgement call is much more severe now than it was when I was in my teens/early twenties.

I am not sure that my youthful indiscretions would have mixed well with the one-strike-and-you’re-out world.

• StarKillerX says:

Oh I agree completely and am VERY glad I grew up when I did instead of now but it is what it is and until everyone realizes that the internet isn’t your friend and it isn’t private we’ll continue to see stories like this.

• Press1forDialTone says:

Underpaid? Really? Well, this kid’s next paycheck is the
      right amount exactly: $0.00 Nobody’s forcing these kids
      to work in these jobs and frankly I’d prefer we tap the huge
      workforce that is retired healthy excellent seniors who might
      like to work part-time and then I’d be willing to pay more
      because they won’t pee on my food and might actually be
      nice to me which make me want to be nice right back.
      The presence of older folks (like 40s, 50s, 60s) might help
      to curb things like this dunderhead did because they KNOW
      their ass is grass when Mrs. Jenkins is around.

4. StatusfriedCrustomer says:

It’s not urine because (a) it’s green, (b) the flow wouldn’t spread out so much

5. Blueskylaw says:

The only way it could be worse for this guy is if the Taco Bell
    was in an airport and he yelled – This joke is THE BOMB!!!

6. Hoss says:

Suspended? Whatever he did — it was to intentionally damage the brand of his employer. Who would take that lightly and not fire him and the manager, no discussion involved?

• StarKillerX says:

Exactly!

Also let’s not overlook the simple truth that making the video was stupid, but could well be explained away are youthful idiocy, but posting it for the world to see takes the stupidity to a whole new level and I for one wouldn’t want someone working for me who had such bad judgement.

• Walker66 says:

Agreed. Thank God I have never eaten at a Taco bell if that’s how they handle these types of incidents.

7. lehrdude says:

Is that a water bottle filled with Mountain Dew in your pants? Or are you just happy to see me?

8. PragmaticGuy says:

Just another case of people doing stupid stuff on social media because they can. Someday, when these people actually mature they’ll wonder why they did such things because it’s going to come back and haunt them. In any event, who cares if you get canned from a minimum wage job, on the other hand if the manager really knew about this, he deserves to get fired. Should this end up in court the judge should at the very least make him write (if he’s literate) an apology and then give him 40 hours community service cleaning public restrooms.

9. Mr_Magoo says:

Based on the 94° temperature indicated on the screen, it’s gotta be urine. That’s pretty close to body temperature, and much warmer than watered down Mountain Dew would be.

10. Aliciaz777 says:

I’m not a man, but even I know that doesn’t look like a dude’s urine stream (unless he’s taking whatever medication Larry David took in Curb Your Enthusiasm which caused his urine stream to come out with the force of a water hose). I’m going with this was just a stupid prank by a teenager. Taco Bell food is pretty disgusting anyways so maybe this will stop people from eating there.

11. Pete the Geek says:

These pranks do real economic damage to the value of the affected company and undermine public confidence in the entire fast food industry. The company pretty much HAS to track down and punish the perpetrator(s) to limit the damage.

12. atomix says:

BTW this was on the daily show last night, August 8, 2012. My guess is that coverage made this incident TOTALLY worth it for this kid.

13. Press1forDialTone says:

As an Indiana resident I formally apologize for this enormous full-to-bursting D-bag.
    Indiana citizens have been toying with the idea of building a huge wall around
    Fort Wayne to protect the rest of Indiana from it’s residents some of which
    are like this brainless bag of skin.

14. Zelgadis says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but…

Doesn’t “con urine” mean “without urine?”

• Misha says:

No. “Con” means “with.”

• Zelgadis says:

Interesting… I only ever knew that word from my vegetarian friend who often said she was making “chili con carne” and said it meant “without meat.”

Well, now I know she was full of crap. :P

15. evilpete says:

It’s not like you’ll eat Nachos with Urine , the watery puddle would be a indicator something was up

16. axhandler1 says:

Would it be legal to institute an employee-wide ban on using any form of social media, with the violation of said ban resulting in immediate and unconditional termination? Or is there some free-speech aspect that would make that illegal?

• Carlee says:

I think it would be legal, assuming the company was not a government agency/entity. The 1st amendment pertains to the government not setting laws that infringe on freedom of speech. And even sometimes there are gov’t agencies (police depts?) that have social media policies.

I know there have been professional ballet companies (New York City Ballet, for instance) who have developed social media policies to restrict what their employees (the dancers) can post on social media. It’s not a complete ban, but it was aimed at restricting what could and couldn’t be posted (for example, they are not supposed to comment on a fellow dancer’s injuries).

At the very least, I think any corporate logo or mention of a company name could be prohibited.

17. do-it-myself says:

I saw the stream and I figured either this guy was severly dehydrated or there was something else going on…

18. 6T9 says:

If I am the manager, you are fired! I don’t give a damn if it is real or not. Don’t give me any BS about underpaid teens preparing fast food. I started out in the fast food industry as a teen along with most of my friends.
    Who gets “suspended” from a fast food restaurant?

19. eldergias says:

This will be great for his career when interviewing in the future. “Hello, can you tell me why this employee left your employ? Oh, he was fired for pissing on food in your restaurant? That’s all I needed to know.” Or “Let me just Google your name… aaaaaaannnnndddd there is no way we are going to hire you.”

20. suezahn says:

So the manager thought this was a good idea, too? Why aren’t both fired?

21. makoto says:

How about he did this on the clock? Fire him. He’s wasting the company’s time, their food and product and defaming their image. Goodbye. Next?!

22. mabus says:

This happened in my fair city… it was also recently on the daily show… we have such wonderful citizens here in fort wayne. bwahaha.