Turning Your Tractor Into A Monster Truck To Crush 7 Cop Cars Will Get You Arrested

If you’re going to retaliate against cops for arresting you, one way to make sure they can’t come after you would be to say, turn your tractor into a monster truck and crush the heck out of their cars. A Vermont man allegedly did that and now he’s gotten arrested yet again. It’s a vicious cycle, man.

Authorities say the man was displeased with an arrest for marijuana possession charges, followed by resisting arrest. Instead of taking such an affront sitting down, he instead drove his tractor over seven cars belonging to the county sheriff’s department, say cops, causing around $250,000 in damages.

Apparently no one knew what was going on until a neighbor called 911. The Associated Press has this little gem to describe the scene, which we find rather amusing (although of course, we do not condone crushing anyone’s car, much less a police car):

They didn’t hear the ruckus outside because their air conditioners were humming, then couldn’t pursue him because their cars were crushed.

Like something out of a bromantic comedy — we can just picture the cops scurrying out of the building only to stop, jaws dropped, as the perp rides off into the sunset on his tractor.

For all that crushing those cars must’ve felt good, the man is now being held on $50,000 bail and has invoked his right to delay entering a plea for 14 days.

Bail set for Vt. man accused of crushing cop cars [Associated Press]

Comments

1. wynterbourne says:

I read the title and thought this happened in Texas. And yes, I’m a Texan.

2. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Hummm, doesn’t say what type of tractor. Will have to read this to my Dad. He has several old tractors, and even an old Oliver crawler from the 1940′s. I’m sure that would have done a number on the police cars too!

• Kaleey says:

Reportedly a Case MX255. Go Case IH!

I can’t help but laugh about this. What a way to end the week!

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

11 tons and 7-foot tires.

Hee hee.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Dad has a Case, too, but it’s pretty old and the tires are only about 5′ or so. I still need to send this to my parent’s email so they can read it. Too funny.

3. Harry Greek says:

This is ‘Murica!!

4. HogwartsProfessor says:

LOL I saw this. They did catch him down the road. Tractors don’t move very fast.

5. Flabbergasterisk says:

If I never hear the term “bromantic comedy” again it’ll be too soon.

6. Captain Spock says:

How do people get cited for Marijuana possession? Are they really that dumb?

• Captain Spock says:

This is keeping in mind that when I drive to less than nice places in chicago (on my way to michigan) you can see people smoking joints on the street corner.

• mulch says:

The folks smoking joints on the corner don’t have farm equipment which can be seized to support the local police department. Google “asset foreiture”…(I know an old disabled veteran who lost his peach orchard over a small crop of “wacky weed”)

• JollySith says:

Most of it is dumb luck. I also lived in a community where you could see people smoking out in the open, 90% of them were never hassled, but all it takes is a cop behind on quota or having a bad day.

7. Jenny8675309 says:

This is an entertaining story, however, what is it doing on The Consumerist?

8. Olivia Neutron-Bomb says:

Vicious cycle? But you just said it was a tractor!

9. Rhinoguy says:

The police pay $36K for Crown Vics? Someone is using government (fibber) numbers again.

• Mark702 says:

You don’t actually think they spend $20000 on a hammer, $30000 on a toilet seat, do you? – ID4

• human_shield says:

Add the souped up engine, suspension, wheels, brush guard, lights, electronics, sirens, communication equipment, rear cages, customization to the rear doors…yes I can see it.

• dks64 says:

I could definitely see that.

• oldgraygeek says:

They don’t soup up the engines, and the rear doors are customized by leaving out eight bucks worth of parts (the rods that connect the inside controls to the latch mechanism).
        Other than those tiny details, you’re absolutely right. The car was a distinct model, not a Crown Victoria. They came from the factory with thousands of police-only parts, from the power steering cooler to the aluminum composite driveshaft (and the dirrerent transmission case that made the driveshaft a different length). The model designation was P71, and it was internally known as the Police Interceptor.

• oldgraygeek says:

It’s the equipment. Base price for municipal fleets is in the mid-$20K range. Most of the rest goes to aftermarket upfitters.

Good news for Chrysler. If they have any taste, they’ll end up replading the P71′s with Dodge Charger Pursuits.

10. Rubberduckgrrl says:
  11. Hi_Hello says:

sooo worth it

12. AustinTXProgrammer says:

All that equipment they add has to drive up the costs.

13. cspschofield says:

” It’s a vicious cycle, man”

No,it isn’t. It’s a vicious tractor….

14. Velvet Jones says:

I’m sorry, but I had to cheer about this one. Too many cops have a bad attitudes. It is about time someone put them in their place. No one was hurt, so I can’t feel sorry for the cops. The only sad thing is that it will likely cost the tax payer.

15. Anna Kossua says:

They have tractors in Vermont?

Also, how many cop cars can be smashed with a monster tructor before they’ll arrest you?

16. dcatz says:

The police had no business harassing someone for smoking marijuana. What someone choses to do to their own body is not anyone’s business but their own. This man was peacefully minding his own business when some cop decided to give him a hard time. I applaud him for fighting back and putting the cops in their place.

17. Coyoty says:

I need to talk to my mechanic…

18. kobresia says:

Turning your bulldozer into a tank and bulldozing downtown is a MUCH better way to get your point across. I mean, once you’ve crushed 5 sheriff’s cruisers, you’re in so much trouble you may as well crush ALL the things.

19. mrbucket says:

Chances are if they had simply let the guy keep his weed, this never would have happened. The most he would have done with that tractor is try to engineer a way to toke through the exhaust system. Seriously – what happened to Vermont, it used to be so laid back! Honestly – I wouldn’t be surprised (tin foil hat conspiracy time) if this guy wasn’t encouraged to do this so the local PD could order up some of those sweet new Caprice cruisers… :)

20. mrbucket says:

“Hello, is this the Sheriff’s Office?” “Yes. What can I do for you?” “I’m calling to report ’bout my neighbor Virgil Smith. He’s hidin’ marijuana inside his firewood! Don’t quite know how he gets it inside them logs, but he’s hidin’ it there.” “Thank you very much for the call, sir.” The next day, the Sheriff’s Deputies descend on Virgil’s house. They search the shed where the firewood is kept Using axes, they bust open every piece of wood, but find no marijuana. They sneer at Virgil and leave. Shortly, the phone rings at Virgil’s house. “Hey, Virgil! This here’s Floyd. Did the Sheriff come?” “Yeah!” “Did they chop your firewood?” “Yep!” “Happy Birthday, buddy!”

21. richflocker says:

Just another battle in the “war on drugs”. Nobody won. Again.