Want Your Airline Bags Delivered To Your Door? American Will Do It For A Fee

It’s not hard to believe that some fliers, sick of waiting at the baggage carousel for their luggage and then hauling it out through the airport and to their destination, might be willing to pay to have someone else do the schlepping for them. Now, American Airlines is hoping that enough people are willing to pay at least $29.95 for a service that just does just that.

Starting Monday, American — in partnership with some company called BAGS VIP — will begin offering a plane-to-door delivery service. The price is $29.95 for the first bag; $39.95 for two bags; $49.95 for up to 10 bags. These prices are in addition to American’s existing fees for checked bags.

And if you live more than 40 miles from the airport, be warned that you’ll be assessed an additional $1/mile for each mile between 41 and 100. For people who live in, or are traveling to, destinations that are a long drive from the airport, those fees can pile up.

A rep for the airline says the service is being targets at business travelers and families traveling with children.

Of course, some fliers have already figured out they can simply use UPS or FedEx to ship their luggage to their destination. Depending on how many bags you’re carrying and how far you’re traveling, the cost to use one of these existing delivery services may be less than the combined check bag/delivery fees. At the very least, you would not have to take bring all those bags with you to the airport.

American Airlines to deliver bags to home, office, hotel — for a fee [L.A. Times]

Comments

1. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

No mention or guarantee of how quickly they will deliver the bags. Hours or days? Maybe it’s delivered by the lost baggage guy.

2. Olivia Neutron-Bomb says:

Just what an airline needs – yet another opportunity to lose or damage your bags.

3. balthisar says:

Seems like an awesome idea. I hate schlepping bags around when I’m tired and pissed off.

4. prismatist says:

This is a really clever idea. Instead of just coming up with another imaginative fee and not actually doing anything different to earn it, they’re offering something truly novel that will be of value to some people. Good on them for innovating!

• RvLeshrac says:

It will be terribly valuable to the baggage handlers that steal luggage. Extra opportunities to relieve you of your belongings.

5. evilpete says:

Coming soon: Samsonite commercial showing FedEX employees throwing luggage off the back of moving trucks and over fences….

6. sarahq says:

This reminds me of Disney’s magical express luggage service, where you check your bags at your home airport and don’t see them again until you arrive in your room at your resort. And vice versa when the vacation’s over. It’s amazing how much less stressful it is to get through an airport this way (particularly when your spouse is mobility impaired, as mine is) and I adore it.

Then again, Disney’s never lost my bags. That would rather take the magic out of it.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I might do it, if I could trust the airline to handle it as well as Disney apparently does. Trouble is, I DON’T.

7. SerenityDan says:

If you are going to do that then why not ship it UPS or FedEx and cut the airline out of it? Might be cheaper anyway.

• hoi-polloi says:

I’ve read the claim that shipping your things may be cheaper than checking a bag before, and I’ve done shipping estimates with both UPS and FedEx. At least for me, I’ve never had the shipping option come close to the $50 I typically spend checking one bag both ways. Granted, my bag is usually somewhere between 40-50 pounds. If others are finding a savings shipping, I wonder what the conditions are.

• SerenityDan says:

yeah but then add on the price of having the Airline deliver it and I bet you UPS and FedEx are cheaper then. Keep in mind shipping prices with them are affected by where you are and where its going to so while it was never cost effective for you for others it would have been.

• RvLeshrac says:

When I ship a 20lb box across-country via FedEx, only time I’d EVER consider flying, next-day, it costs around $120.

It would definitely be cheaper if you didn’t mind not having your luggage for 3-5 business days.

8. IraAntelope says:

if they lose my baggage do I still get charged when/if it turns up?

9. Murph1908 says:

Ok, this service might appeal to me, if it wasn’t tacked on to baggage fees.

I have a 4 year old, so waiting an extra half hour in the baggage claim area after a long flight isn’t appealing.

Said 4 year old also adds baggage, and lowers available arms to carry it when you want to hold his hand going across airport terminal roads and hotel parking lots.

There’s something appealing about taking just your carry-on, and letting the airline deliver your big bags right to your hotel room. Especially when you are travelling with a young kid.

But, I am also generally against paying for things I can do myself, so…

• StatusfriedCrustomer says:

For an additional $34.95, the airline will deliver your kid to your destination. You don’t even have to see your kid until you arrive at the hotel!

10. jvanbrecht says:

How about airlines figure out how to not lose luggage first..

I went to Vegas last week for Defcon.. My luggage was lost in both directions.

I cannot blame them for the outbound trip loss, as another passengers kid grabbed the wrong bag.. mine. Southwest however retrieved it and delivered it to my hotel in the AM that night (I landed at around midnight, bags were at hotel desk by 3)

Trip home.. they sent my bags to Newark NJ instead of BWI… ugg..

11. bben says:

The airlines have lost my luggage many times. But always managed to find it. Then delivered it either to my hotel or to my home FREE when they did finally find it. Worst was a trip to LA. On the return, we were rerouted through Chicago and had to change planes. For some reason my bags were sent to Canada instead of Charlotte (They do both start with a C) And got stuck in customs for a week.

I went to Las Vegas for a meeting once. A representative from the hotel was at the airport and as soon as I claimed my bags he took them. They were in my room when I checked in. Then on checking out, the hotel checked my bags. I didn’t see them until I arrived back at my home airport.

I can see where this is totally worth the cost for some people.

12. lyontaymer30 says:

There is some value in it. It’s obviously not for everyone, I rarely carry more than one bag, but I’ve seen people in the airports that really could’ve used this.

13. drmk says:

This just seems like another opportunity for someone to go through your bags and steal your stuff.

Continental once lost our luggage and took three days to get it back to us. When we finally got it back, both of our suitcases and a sealed box had been opened, rifled through, and all of our wrapped Christmas gifts had been stolen, as well as my jewelry (cheap stuff, I was a grad student) and some electronics we’d packed. (They actually found a radar detector in one suitcase and the power cord for it in another, and took both.) Also missing — bras and shoes.

We complained, naturally, but Continental wouldn’t pay because they claimed it was fine when it left their hands and went to the courier who brought us the luggage. The courier, naturally, claimed it was that way when he had gotten it.

The more people who handle your stuff, and the more time they have alone with it, the more stuff is going to go missing.

• hoi-polloi says:

It’s really unfortunate that that happened to you. This is one of the reasons I carry on most electronics and expensive items (if permitted). I’ve started keeping a small grocery bag with me in case the airline insists on gate-checking so I can more easily carry those things I really don’t want out of my possession. I don’t want my laptop bouncing around in the bottom of the plane, or out of my sight longer than it takes to x-ray it.

On a recent climbing trip I carried on essentials like my harness and shoes, as they wouldn’t be easily or cheaply replaced. I would have been livid if some of my other gear was stolen from my checked bag, even though I could have made due without it.

• drmk says:

Thanks, hoi-polloi. This was pre-9/11, and the electronics we were packing were small things, not things like laptops, and they had been carefully packed to be cushioned by clothes and other things. Whoever went through the luggage must have had plenty of time to do it. The box was medium-sized and contained all of our (wrapped) Christmas presents for our families. The ones that were left in the box had been unwrapped.

14. ferozadh says:

Hahah…no thanks. I’m not giving them two chances to lose my bags.

15. MarkFL says:

Brilliant. Because you always want to give an airline one more opportunity to lose your luggage.

16. Difdi says:

I can see a couple ways this can go badly wrong…

Airline claims no responsibility for missing bags, because it’s the shipper’s fault, shipper claims airline didn’t give them any bags to ship.

Bags arrive on schedule, but they are someone else’s bags.

You fly across the country and your bags disappear, airline and shipper both agree the bags were properly delivered…your neighbor calls to let you know someone just dropped a bunch of luggage on his doorstep with your luggage tags on them.

All kinds of possibilities…

17. bbb111 says:

They delivered my bags for free once. [I had to put up with them going to the wrong country and arriving two days later. (A souvenir t-shirt would have been a nice touch.)]

18. The-Lone-Gunman says:

On a cost/benefit way of looking at things, here’s the reason I ship items to myself at my destination and also on the return:

I can insure my stuff for actual value, plus track my stuff’s progress using the shipper’s online system. I cannot do either of these things with an airline.

Those alone justify the FedEx cost to me. Since 9/11, for all intents you are required to send your baggage through without locking it–TSA approved locks are still cut off with regularity BY TSA–so this is the best way I’ve found to combat pilferage on domestic and International flights.